-38

Take My Breath Away

Chapter Thirty-Eight

“Are you afraid I’ll beat them up?”
15th of March 2015

 

 

She wouldn’t be telling a lie if she said the dinner went perfectly fine, but she wouldn’t be telling the truth, either. She felt the tension trapped in the air most of the time, choked words, hidden feelings—the list could go on and on and on but she’d rather not go on about it. The two currently walked down the sidewalk, rejecting the offer earlier on that came from her mother of are you sure you wouldn’t need us to fetch you back? W-We’re not rushing to go anywhere, we can­—

And of course, she wouldn’t be Hee Young if she didn’t say, it’s fine. We can manage on our own. We’ll be leaving now.

Once the door of the restaurant had closed behind them, the two had started the journey of walking back since then, though, it was just roughly a few minutes ago but a few minutes early was definitely a blessing for Hee Young especially when all she looks forward to is leaving. Though, this went better than she thought it would be because she didn’t need to feel so tensed considering she knows what’s going on through the minds of her mother and the principal. She has a feeling this isn't going to be the end of things and she was 100% sure that the principal would call her to the office again, and the odds of her mother being in that same room would be pretty damn high. And whatever they wanted to tell her, say to her, do with her, she'd rather they do it when Kai's not aroundit was for the best. At the very least, her mother knows of how she truly feels and the principal isn't the same geezer since day one—though it may vary.

The only one person she didn’t know about was Kai’s.

“So… you and your mother… still pretty awkward, huh?” He tried to sound as humorous as he could but in this situation, it doesn’t take a genius to put together that the two had problems with communicating with one another. It’s like putting up a sailboat without a sail and when you want to put the sail on, you don’t know if you should wait for the wind blowing from the North, South, East or West—it was that complicated.

“Tell me about it,” She breathed out, shaking her head along with it, deciding that this wasn’t the right time to talk about it. Then again, when has she actually let it all out to someone? When she does, it’s pretty much not Kai the one she looks forward to spilling the beans for.

“You know, regardless of whatever she’s done in the past, she’s still—“

“My mom, I get it,” Her tone was slightly overdone with annoyance, dripping with anger but then she noticed how quiet he got—funny, it’s like the two could get along all of a sudden but it’s probably just the truce thing they agreed on. No snappy comments, no unnecessary whacking, no hateful tones, no overstepping the boundaries—four simple rules the two agreed on. She spared him a glance, seeing that he didn’t mind it at all because he’s been there, “Sorry, just a bit…”

“Caught up?” He tried to guess, seeing that she was too caught up in her mind to think of the right words.

“Yeah… I guess you could say that.”

He decided to just drop the topic, walking in silence beside her as the two had both agreed on taking the bus on the way back instead—since they passed by a bus stop and why the heck not.

So when the bus door opened, Kai stood by the side, motioning her to get on but she raised an eyebrow with a genuine, questioning really?

He rolled his eyes and grabbed her arm, tugging her onto the bus before he followed behind her. Hey, they did agree on truce but they’re not exactly BFF’s or any sort. Hee Young continued to walk until she found that in the packed bus, there was an empty seat beside a woman, by the window and another vacant one at the back with a row of high school boys. Automatically, Kai held onto her arm and made her step towards the seat with the old lady beside, “Sit there, I’ll take that one,”

She snorted, “Are you afraid I’ll beat them up?”

“More like I will.” He grumbled, using his eyes to point at the seat when the bus had taken another short stop by the bus stop just a distance away from the one they got on from, “Hurry,” He said before he went on over to the end of the bus, not needing to say anything at all because the boys scurried off to the side, giving ample of space for Kai to go through so he could sit by the corner of the bus. As he settled down on the seat, knowing that this would take quite the time considering this bus goes on for more than five to ten stops before reaching nearby their college so, yeah, they’ll be warming up their seats for quite a while. As she got comfortable in her seat, nodding politely at the woman beside her before proceeding to look out the window, she took the liberty in glancing over her shoulder, already meeting with his gaze and he smirked almost too instantly. She quickly looked away, as if she never looked but a message came beeping in her pocket.

‘Missing me already?’

She scoffed a laugh, earning a small smile from the nice woman beside her, “Is that lad your boyfriend?”

She shoved her phone away once she replied the message, directing her gaze to the person beside her, “N-No. He’s just…” She found herself pausing, wondering what they truly were because in the past she could easily say he’s my best friend or we’re really close but we occasionally like to poke each other’s backs or we’re actually good friends but sometimes we’re enemies or maybe I like him and he likes me but we both pretty much hate each other sometimes and now was different because he doesn’t remember and she doesn’t want to remind him. Now, in this situation, she found herself being able to say nicely, “He’s a friend,”

Boyfriend?” The old lady tried to be funny, wiggling her eyebrows in a somewhat cute manner. “I see what you did there, but no,” Hee Young smiled, shaking her head.

Kai took a peek at his phone, tapping on the message before he scoffed, plugging in his headphones before locking the screen.

‘You wish.’

 

 

 


 

 

Three… four stops later, Kai looked up and noticed how suddenly the bus became so empty, so light and no wonder the chatters quiet down because there was barely ten people left in the bus. Though, at this rate, the bus would still take about thirty to forty minutes before it would reach back to their college—that’s how many joyrides this bus can provide just by going to all the other stops and leaving their stop the last. He craned his neck upwards, taking a glance to see that the seat beside her was empty and definitely, the way she leaned her head against the window—she’s asleep…

He quietly got up from his seat, casually walking past all the empty rows before slowly situating himself down on the one spot he had his eyes on. He took off his earphones because at the volume he was listening his music, he was pretty sure he would be able to wake her up just by being next to her. He switched his music off, rolling his headphones before putting them into his pocket and he slid closer so he’d have a better angle of directing her head down on to somewhere more comfortable so that she wouldn’t be complaining the next day of having an incredibly painful neck cramp.

“She’d better be thankful…” He mumbled softly, glancing to his side to see her rest against his shoulder, arms pressed together, her breathing shallow, her eyelids shut completely, her grasp on reality being slipped away—he had never seen someone looking so peaceful when they sleep before. With a deep swallow, he hesitated on doing what his heart whispered him to do and his hand lingered up by the side of her ear, saying she’s asleep, she won’t know what you’re doing…

But he reluctantly pulled his hand back when she shifted, still asleep yet his heart still uncontainable as he sighed and shook his head, you can’t do this to yourself… He turned to blink at her, she can’t keep doing this to me, either.

And he faced forward, but she’s always going to.

 

 

 


 

 

“Hey, wake up, we’re here,” His voice echoed into her ears as she felt her head leaning against something that definitely wasn’t the window. She moved her head, sitting up straight and she felt something stinging at her neck, cramming her nerves but that’s what she gets for sleeping in a damned bus, anyway. Her eyes peeled open slowly, getting up even before her mind could register what was going on but all she knows is someone was leading her to the way out from the bus.

She blinked a few times, finally stepping off the bus and she felt that grip releasing from wherever she couldn’t make up even if her life depended on it.

She hissed in the next, groggily and tiredly as her eyes opened sharply to glare at the person who had just clicked her forehead, “Dude…”

“Don’t dude me, continue sleeping like that in a bus and you’d be in for a joyride until tomorrow.” Kai reached over to pat her shoulder, “I’ve got to go somewhere so I can’t walk you back to your dorm. Do that yourself, princess,”

She rolled her eyes and gave his shoulder a shove, “I don’t need you,”

“Yeah right you don’t, go, it’s getting late,” He gave her a light nudge, on her back so she’d take two steps forward, the way towards the college entrance, the two big gates closed while there was a small one by the end, open. “See you tomorrow,” He cooed, hands in his pockets, eyes somehow smiling at her.

“We don’t have class together tomorrow.”

“Who said we need classes together to see each other? We attend the same—“

“I get it, Einstein, save it.” She mumbled, waving a hand then on after, confirming that the first thing she’d do once she got to her dorm was sleep. “Bye,” She turned her back on him, taking a few deep breaths because she knows she has to stay awake to make her way back and the walk to her dorm wasn’t exactly near. He stood there and stepped to the side of the sidewalk, watching her scrape the pavement with the heels of her shoes, her head glancing from up the sky, up ahead and down to the ground occasionally until she was gone from view.

Once she was at least in the college compound, he fished for his phone once more, unlocking the screen and…

‘Coffee Club, whenever you’re ready.’
10.21p.m. || Minseok

Here we go…

 

 

 


 

 

Kai stepped in front of the brown door, taking a peek inside to see if it was really open and when he heard a bell dinging once he opened the door, the waiter by the counter smiling with a soft yes, we’re opened, he gave a nod towards the lad and allowed the door behind him to close gently as he stepped forward, once, twice, thrice and then he stopped when his eyes met with a pair that coincidentally turned to meet his.

Minseok offered a smile, pointing at the counter, “Order a drink, my treat,”

Kai shook his head as he made his way towards the table, waving a hand, “N-Nah, I’m good. Not really thirsty,”

Minseok snorted, seeing Kai’s face nearly dried up, “When you’re looking like that? Do I look like an idiot?”

Kai his lips nervously, blinking once, twice, thrice and then he stopped again when Minseok raised a hand and hollered to the waiter, “Toss a bottle of water,” Kai was rather astonished not because Minseok had said that like he owned the place but because the waiter actually agreed to that, not even asking a single thing like what if he doesn’t catch the damn bottle and it breaks more than one glass that’s not only the cup but the bloody window they’re sitting beside with and Kai nearly fell off his seat when Minseok caught it as it almost hit the latter’s face—if it wasn’t for Minseok, Kai would be in a need of a nose job.

“Thanks!” Minseok chimed, placing the bottle in front of Kai, “There you go—sorry about his aim, he’s a bit rusty,”

“I am not rusty!” The guy grumbled, despite being a waiter, he has quite a tone to talking with Minseok.

“That blondie goes to our college, too.”

Kai nodded, twisting the bottle cap open, “Y-Yeah, I know, I’ve seen him around in the soccer field.”

“His name is Luhan,” Minseok pointed with a thumb, causing Kai to follow pointing to meet gazes with Luhan where he gave a nod, “Nice to meet you,”

Kai waved a hand, “Great aiming, Luhan,”

Luhan gave his forehead a smack, mumbling apologetically, “Sorry! I’m not too good with my hands, I’m better with my feet,”

“Toss the bottle with your feet next time then,” Minseok joked, causing Kai to laugh because that’s a good one.

However, a few jokes here and there, one or two compliments for one another or the usual ah, yeah I’ve seen you around but I’ve never really talked to you but now I guess I can talk to you casually type of conversation, it died down the moment Luhan had to clean up the kitchen before he would have to close up. So, in other words, Minseok doesn’t have a lot of time to explain much but he has to really cut to the chase because if he was seen with Kai, Hee Young could completely chop his head off and a bunch of interrogation would go down. Hey, she did break his heart, he did feel like but they’re still best friends—and she’s not going to let him off the hook just like that so, he has to make it quick.

“L-Look, Kai, may I be honest and… really direct?”

Kai clicked his tongue and rested his elbows on the table, arms folded and he looked at Minseok, “Well… I guess it depends? What are you going to talk about?”

“Hee Young,”

Kai felt himself being constricted when it came to such topic, especially when it involves someone who finally agreed to not smack him in the face and when he could after some time, get to converse with her better without needing to pull up a shield in case she battled with him with words.

“W-What about… her?”

 

 

 


 

 

 Kai closed the door behind him with a sigh, feeling very tired and very dirty considering he needs to take a shower. He heard mumbles coming from the bed and he knew that it must be Kyungsoo trying to memorize the facts and he didn’t want to talk any more than he has for this whole day. He has done more talking than he’s ever done and he’s completely drained.

He stepped to the bathroom instead, locking the door with a click before he completely stripped down to being bare before he got into the shower place, switching on the water so it’d drench him completely in his hopes that it’ll wash away all his worries, all his thoughts but the moment he tried to relax under the warmth of the water that poured down on him, his eyes closed and he couldn’t help to—
 

“W-What about… her?”

Minseok definitely didn’t waste his time in growing a bush, beating around it and then tell Kai what was on his mind. In fact, Minseok wrapped his hands around the clay material that held in his hot drink, blinking down on it to see his own reflection, “I know that you know I like her,”

Kai gave a slow nod, admitting that he does know silently.

“And I want you to know that I don’t have a chance,”

Kai’s eyebrows knitted together in confusion, somehow feeling a lump being formed at his throat because at the rate Minseok was going, the way Minseok was looking with such sadness filling his eyes, his tone just dripping with pain made it harder for Kai to listen. What do you mean you don’t have a chance?

Minseok smiled and took a sip from his drink—coffee, at this hour? Not so smart if you asked anyone.

“I confessed and… well,” Minseok used one hand, rubbing the back of his neck, “I got rejected,”

Kai still remained frowning, gripping onto the bottle because that’s the only thing he could do. And there was nothing much he could say when he knows that Minseok is broken. There’s not much he could offer because he knows that’s the last thing Minseok would want. There’s absolutely nothing in Minseok’s benefit just telling Kai this—but why was he doing it?

I sort of knew I wouldn’t have a chance…but… I went for it because… Minseok let out a soft sigh, shaking his head before he continued, I knew she was worth it.

The boy let out a breath, a deep one before gazing up to meet Kai’s eyes, and I’m telling you because… I think Hee Young needs someone to be there by her side before I…

Kai’s frown deepened, leaning forward to listen better even though his mind told him to not listen because it’ll hurt.

B-Before you what?

Minseok swallowed the distraction in his throat, clearing it before he muttered under his breath, it's complicated...

Kai shook his head almost too soon, his words coming out in stutters, “T-Then what about Hee Young? What are you... S-She, you, the two of you—“

That's why I need you to promise me something, Kai,” Minseok cut him off abruptly, causing Kai to stand up out of frustration, the anger burning in his eyes, “Are you leaving? Where the are you going?”

“I need you to promise me first,” Minseok’s voice was calm, eyes nearly pleading Kai that the boy had to sit back down, exhaling out the heat in his body, his hands reaching up to rub his face because this was too much for him to handle in a timespan of a day—it was driving him nuts.

But, nevertheless, I promise.