-02

Take My Breath Away

Chapter Two
"God damn it!"

12th of December 2013


 

"Wait!" The boy chased after her as she picked up her pace in walking when her dorm was just a few steps away. "I'm sorry! I really di-" She spun around to glare at him the moment she reached in front of her dorm. Her hand lifted to hit him really hard at his cheek and his eyes shut tight immediately to feel the big blow - she was indeed strong but she remained in that position with her hand up, not being able to hurt him. She hissed softly as she let her hand fall, causing him to open his eyes slowly to look at her uncertainly. He didn't know if this was the right time to talk but...

"H-Hee Young... I'm so-"

"Sorry? Is 'sorry' the only word you know?" She snapped at him angrily and he gulped, having a hand to reach for hers but she took a step back. "You know how hard it was for me to keep a low profile for two years, Minseok. That isn't a short time and now that he's fully aware of my presence, I know he's not going to give up that easily because when he wants something, he gets it and I just-" She paused, not being able to say anything else to him. Minseok let his lips form a thin line as he tried to reach for her hand again but, "Just get lost, Minseok." With that, she unlocked her room door before she slammed the door behind her and locked it, leaving Minseok outside.


 


 


"So, what's your name?" Lay asked politely and Hee Min smiled awkwardly, "You don't really need to know my name. I don't go to this university." She answered meekly and smiled again before she looked away, just praying they would either eat faster, ignore her or hope that Minseok would come back. Hope was restored in her when she stood up the moment Minseok came back with his head hanging low, hands in his pocket as he kicked any item he saw in front of him. He entered the restaurant and took his seat beside Lay, causing Kai and Lay to look at him with their mouths chewing onto their food slowly.

Hee Min sat down slowly and sighed as she looked at him pitifully - although it was his fault.

"M-Minseok-ah..."

Minseok lifted his chin and noticed all eyes were on him. He rubbed the back of his neck with a grin, "W-Why is everyone looking at me?" He then reached for his chopsticks that he used previously to take some meat as he stuffed it into his mouth, grinning at Kai and Lay who probably didn't even believe that grin was genuine based on how sad his eyes looked. "What did she say...?" Hee Min asked carefully and Minseok chewed on the meat that usually tasted deliciously good but he couldn't taste anything at the moment. He swallowed hard and lifted his chin to smile at her, "She... told me to get lost."

Kai then gave a look to Lay, mouthing the words, "Who is he talking about?"

Lay raised his eyebrows, shrugging his shoulders as he didn't know either.

The sadness in Minseok's voice was so evident, Hee Min bit her lower lip before she released it to say, "M-Minseok-ah, you know she doesn't mean that and-" Her voice trailed off when he stood up weakly. "She'll forgive me the next day?" Minseok completed her sentence with another bitter smile as his hands were tugged into his pockets. "Noona, you know how much she means to me and, if I'm going to lose her just because of this... I'll never forgive myself." Minseok's smile faded away when he noticed how true his words were. If he were to lose his one and only true friend who has ever stood up for him since they were born, he would probably chop his own head off and it would feel as if his heart was ripped out of his chest.

Noticing that Kai and Lay were still around, Minseok chuckled softly before he rubbed his eyes with his hands once, preventing the tears from coming as he bent over the table to get his wallet from Hee Min's hands. He then took out a few notes, probably more than enough for the whole meal as he stood up straight to hand the money to Lay. "Here, eat as much as you want. I think it's enough. I apologize for the whole commotion. See you around." With a wave he gave to Kai and Lay, Minseok quietly took his leave and Hee Min sighed, unintentionally grabbing the attention of the two boys who were sitting near her. She got up and mumbled loud enough for them to hear before she went after him, "He even left his wallet here..."

 




"Does he have a girlfriend?" Kai asked, taking some meat into his mouth and Lay shrugged - again. "I don't know man, but whoever who can him make act this way, must seriously be important." Kai raised an eyebrow curiously, swallowing the food in his mouth. "Why so?"

"Dude," Lay laughed, putting his chopsticks down. "Xiumin is practically the nicest guy in the university." He used his thumb to point at the seat beside him which was Minseok's seat. "I admit that we're pretty close but that doesn't mean that he has to buy me - us, dinner but he did. He even gave extra money so we could order more if we'd like and I'll tell you that this isn't the first time he's bought me dinner."

Kai clicked his tongue and put his chopsticks down. "If he's such a great guy, why would she," Kai used his thumb to point at the seat beside him, which was Hee Young's seat. "Act like that towards him?"

"Period, maybe." Lay snickered and Kai shrugged this time, "Let's just pay and go. Give me the money."

"What?" Lay raised an eyebrow but he snatched the money and got up to pay. Lay frowned a little but continued to eat as Kai went to pay for the food before they would leave.

 



 

"I know you're in there!" Hee Min knocked on the door a few times and whether Minseok liked it or not, he opened the door tiredly, raising at eyebrow at her. She sighed and reached for his hand to place his wallet in it before she closed his hand. "You forgot your wallet, kiddo."

"Thanks... noona." Minseok thanked her quietly, hands holding onto the wallet and she placed a hand on his cheek to make him face her. "Noona," He called out softly, "Do you really think she-"

"Hates you?" She finished his sentence and he bit his lower lip nervously. "Minseok, you out of all people should know she says that out of anger. You know how hard it was on her and I'm sure she doesn't mean it but you should try to make it up to her tomorrow morning and if it doesn't work, wait for a few days before you approach her. I've got your back, alright?" With a pinch of his nose she gave, she pulled him in for a hug and he returned it wholeheartedly - how he wished he had a sister like her but to be able to have her to treat him this way was close enough. "I'll talk to her before I leave, Minseok-ah. So focus on your studies for now and don't let it bother you."

He nodded his head as he grinned widely, "Thank you, noona..."

Right after Hee Min left, he wanted to close his door but he couldn't when a foot caught in between the gap. He opened the door again only to come face to face with a person he'd never expect to see. "K-Kai?" Minseok's head bobbed forward, a little starstruck because of who was right in front of him. Kai simply smirked, grabbing his hand to place the money he gave Lay earlier, "Thanks for the dinner but, you didn't have to pay for us."

Minseok let out a soft yet lengthy 'ah' before he shoved the money into his pocket. Realizing Kai was still standing in front of him, Minseok lifted his chin to gulp at the latter. "So... what are you doing here?"

"Who is Hee Young?" Kai asked in a somewhat 'serious' tone and Minseok swore that if it was possible, his eyes would pop out. However, he was reminded of how Hee Young acted today and this might be his chance to save his - and probably her hard effort of trying to keep a low profile for two years. "You don't know who she is?" Minseok asked carefully, hoping he would answer something that would be good to hear.

"If i knew, I wouldn't be asking you, would I?" Kai answered sardonically, causing Minseok to rub the back of his neck awkwardly as he grinned at Kai. This is my chance... "Yeah I know her but she's no one, really. I hear she hates all guys."

"Even you?" Kai raised an eyebrow and Minseok gulped. "Well... no, not me."

"You just said she hates all guys." Kai stated clearly, repeating the fact Minseok had said and he cursed inwardly. "I'm not a guy."

Kai simply let his lips part in partial shock as he blinked at Minseok. Noticing what he had just blurted out, Minseok slapped his forehead. "N-No, that's not what I meant. I mean..."

"It's alright, no worries." Kai smiled and patted Minseok on the shoulder. "By the way, what do I call you? Xiumin or Minseok or-?"

"Whichever." Minseok grinned and Kai gave a nod, "I guess I'll go with Minseok. Bye." With that, Kai his heels, walking back towards his dorm as he shook his head just thinking back on the answers Minseok gave him - he knew Minseok was indeed a very nice guy. Behind the door, Minseok fished his phone out as he called Hee Young's number. Of course, it was ringing for a moment until he was sent to voicemail - which he meekly left a voicemail.

"H-Hey... Hee Young? I'm... really really sorry and, I did make it up to you in a way. I talked to Kai today - well he talked to me but, eitherway, I did cover up a little for you." Minseok bit his lower lip, hissing softly as he didn't know what to say anymore or if he didn't know if what he was going to say might or might not get him sliced. "I-If you'd like to know more, meet me tomorrow after your classes at the Block C balcony just across your dorm - like we'd always would... hmm?" Wasting no more time, "B-Bye..."

 



 

As Kai walked down the halls, back to his own dorm which was located on the other block from Minseok's dorm, he furrowed his eyebrows when he heard soft chatterings on the other end, which leads to why he chose to follow the sounds that caught his attention.

 

 



 

"Hee Young, open up!"

"No, just go home." The younger spoke up and the older one sighed, "C'mon... I'm not leaving until you open this door."

Grumbling and knowing her sister won't stop at anything, she pushed herself off her bed, dragging herself towards the door to open it tiredly, "What?" She snapped unintentionally but Hee Min grinned as she invited herself in. Hee Young scoffed, closing the door behind her, "I guess in your mind I must've invited you in." The older girl simply smiled as she sat down on her sister's bed, patting the space beside her. Hee Young crossed her arms in front of her chest with an eyebrow raised, 

"Sit here." Hee Min patted again only to get rejected by Hee Young as she shook her head. Groaning, Hee Min got up and shook Hee Young by her shoulders, "Listen, Hee Young-ah. I know that the incident back in th-"

"If you're going to bring it up, I don't want to hear it." Hee Young looked away almost instantly. The horrifying memory just taking place in her mind again that she shut her eyes tight - she didn't want to go down that road, she didn't want to think about it anymore. The stares, the voices muffled from her ears during that terrifying moment - it was just too much to bear. Hee Min almost instantly wrapped her arms her younger sister, hushing her before Hee Young even thought about crying, she couldn't cry, at least not now. "Minseok only means kindness and I get he's a little oblivious to his surroundings sometimes but that's just who he is. Don't be too harsh on him, alright?"

Even though Hee Young didn't want to, she managed to nod twice, "Can you let go of me now?"

Sighing softly in amusement, Hee Min let go of the latter with a grin, "Brat." The older then proceeded to ruffle up Hee Young's hair with a bigger smile. "I love you, Hee Young-ah." Smiling a little, Hee Young crossed her arms in front of her chest as she lifted her chin to lock gazes with her older sister - she was very grateful to know her older sister didn't forget her.

"Love you too... unnie."

 



 

"Hee Young-ah, remember my words, alright?" Hee Min managed to holler just as the younger closed the door. She could tell that possibly, Hee Young was already groaning on the other side but she chuckled to herself before she her heels only to stumble backwards when a familiar looking boy was dead ahead of her. The gut deep in her felt like it was twisted multiple times. "H-Hey... You're that girl back there." Kai pointed at her weakly and Hee Min swore she would release a string of profanities at his face right now - and slap herself for shouting her sister's name out loud a moment ago.

"Y-Yeah... What are you doing here?" She said nervously, not moving an inch when Kai was making his way towards her with hands in his pocket until he stopped in front of her. He used a thumb to point at the door beside him, which was Hee Young's room door. "Don't mind me asking but... did you just say, Hee Young?"

Knowing she couldn't lie her way out of this, Hee Min nodded once meekly. "Look, I've got to go."

With that, Hee Min hurriedly brushed past Kai to head towards the nearest exit to the stairs so she could run down and hopefully, out of the dorms so she could head back home. Not even a shout from Kai of, "Wait!" could stop her as she had already left like the wind. Letting his hand that was raised up beside his mouth when he called her out fall to the side dejectedly, he glanced at the door beside him and he turned his body so he was facing the door. Tilting his head unsurely, he lifted a hand to knock on the door but he remained standing with his hand like that with a thought.

Kwan Hee Young...

His eyes gazed down to his feet as he let his hand fall - he was suddenly feeling so heavy.

Why... does that name sound so familiar?

Gulping, he just took a step back and with the thought of heading back to his dorm along with minding his own business, he paused and looked over his shoulder to analyse her door one more time - he had now remembered where her dorm was.

 



 

"Did you know that the two of you are in the same class?" Lay informed Kai who nearly let the cup of coffee he had in his hands slip through his fingers. Kai hurriedly drank the remaining coffee in the plastic cup before he tossed it into the nearby trash can. - wide awake now that his friend had told him something pretty interesting. "What?"

"Yeah, I didn't know either." Lay smirked and nudged Kai by his arm. "Maybe you should actually pay attention during roll call." Pressing his lips together, he sighed a little - what on Earth was he doing taking up interest in a girl who possibly hates him to his guts as well as not even showing a sign of liking towards him? Out of all the girls he could easily pick, why did he have to choose to find out more about the one who couldn't possibly give a damn about him?

Oh yeah, that's right.

Kai was always hard to please.

And it was a known fact. "And waste my time on a girl like her? Forget it." With that, Kai waved a hand and slung his bag pack over his shoulder with a grin. A small salute came from him as he looked at Lay, "See you later."

 


 

"But Hee Young, I-" With a sharp breath he managed to take before Hee Young swiftly spun around to shove him against the locker, his lips had shut entirely. Minseok clenched his eyes shut and he could literally feel his insides turn at the thought of what she was going to do - they were alone in this hallway after all considering that no one uses this way to get to their classes, except for Hee Young and now, Minseok.

Moving her hand that she had placed over his mouth, she backed away until he could stand properly on his two feet as he fixed his bag pack on his shoulders. "Unnie told me about it, I listened to your voicemail message and... it's alright, Minseok. Just be very," She stepped closer and made sure they had just an inch apart from their locked gazes, "Very careful from now on."

With a frantic nod he gave, she leaned away as he instantly placed a hand over his heart. "I swear, I'll be very careful from now on."

Allowing her lips to curl up into a small smile, Minseok hurriedly hugged her tight - seizing this opportunity before anyone else passed by - although that rarely happens. "Thank you, Hee Young-ah!" Minseok beamed to his heart's content, arms crushing her but she simply smiled against his chest. Before she could even lift her arms up to hug him...

"Minseok! Is that you?"

Darting their heads towards the voice, it was Hee Young who grumbled before she pushed Minseok off. "Why do you always have such bad luck?" She hissed softly before she took fast and quick steps away from Minseok to disappear from the hallway by making a sharp left turn as she headed towards her next class. Minseok immediately slapped his own forehead as he turned around to bang his head against the lockers. "God damn it!"

 

What is Kai doing here?!