-28

Take My Breath Away

Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Yah! Are you freaking deaf?!"
6th of February 2015

 

Hee Young exhaled deeply before raising her hand up to knock on the door. She waited for about two seconds flat before she heard a voice on the other end say, “Come in.”

She waited for a while more, clearing her mind before she twisted the doorknob open and stepped through the gap. Her foot nudged the door shut and she took two steps forward before pausing like that, waiting for him to spin his chair around.

He noticed how she hadn’t taken her seat yet once he spun around, meeting with her gaze, “Sit down.”

She shook her head, remained standing as she held onto her bag pack strap, “I prefer to stand.”

“I insist.”

“So do I.”

He narrowed his eyes at him, resting both elbows on the wooden table, “I wonder why your mother wants to meet with you so much. Hee Min I understand but you… I don’t see why.”

Hee Young shrugged, unaffected by his words, “I don’t know why either.”

He clicked his tongue and leaned back against the chair, both hands on his crossed legs, “Tough one, aren’t you?”

She didn’t bother to say anything – the look on his eyes already spelled out the word ‘hatred’ and she couldn’t be bothered, really. Thank God I’m not the one marrying this man, her heart whispered. And her heart was not the kind to actually say these thoughts – it would usually be her mind but at this moment, even her heart couldn’t stand this geezer.

“Dinner is on this Sunday at The Black Canyon. We’ll arrange transport for both you and your sister to meet at the same location. The ride will come to pick you up at 6.00p.m. – sharp, so don’t be late.”

Hee Young furrowed her eyebrows, her grip on her bag pack strap tightening, “T-This Sunday? I can’t on this Sunday. I have plans.”

Dong Min simply raised his eyebrow, glad to finally have a reaction, “Oh, really?”

For a second, he seemed concerned.

Cancel them.”

Well, that second didn’t last too long.

“You can’t just tell me to cancel my plans just because you have plans for me.” Hee Young snapped, reminded by the way Minseok looked so happy when she said ‘yes’. She didn’t necessarily need to like Minseok in that way but she definitely cared for his feelings and she hated herself more than you can imagine whenever she cancels their plans together.

“Well, I won’t tell you otherwise or anything just to please your ears, my dear. Cancel your plans and make it on time this Sunday. That’s all I have to say for now, leave.”

Exactly what I had in mind – you fat geezer…

Hee Young simply took a few steps back before turning around swiftly and once her hand reached the doorknob, he had the courtesy in asking, “How was class just now?”

She kicked the door open despite having her hand on the doorknob because based on the sardonic tone in his voice; she knew he was pulling on her buttons. “Fine without you,” She deadpanned before stepping out of the room and making sure she left him with a slamming of the door.

 

 


 

 

 

“Great… Just ing great…” She groaned, walking down the halls with her bag pack still slung over her shoulder. “What’s so great?” A voice cooed, and she knew who it was. She glanced to look at a mischievous grin greeting her and she wasn’t in a mood.

“Not now, Kai.”

“Oh then when princess?”

She stopped walking and turned to look at him again, with a tired look, “Please.”

With her tone and her actual manners, he stood there, unable to follow her as she continued walking down the halls. He swallowed and rubbed the back of his neck, unsure of what to do because he hasn’t exactly seen her like that before. Or maybe she’s been like that but he’s never taken notice of that.

Not until now.

He blinked once and noticed how she was walking incredibly slow that he called out for her, “Yah! Stop right there!”

He expected her to retaliate but she actually listened. She stopped and looked over her shoulder, her voice soft, “What?”

He his lips nervously before asking, “Coffee?”

She rolled her eyes and shook her head, rejecting his offer, “Not a caffeine person but you can go ahead.”

Before she tried to turn back around, he tried again, “How about some cake?”

She raised an eyebrow, noticing how persistent he was, “Not in the mood for something sweet.”

He gave up, “Yah! What the hell is wrong with you?”

He had once again, expected her to snap at him with something harsh but she shrugged mindlessly, slowly turning around after she mumbled, “Why don’t you tell me?”

He let out a groan once he saw her walking away and this time, he allowed her to do so until she was completely gone from his sight. He rubbed his face with one hand, mumbling softly to himself, “You can’t even be nice for one time. One ing time!”

“I’d like some cake.” Lay chuckled, slinging his arm over Kai’s shoulder. Kai moved his hand away, turning to meet with Lay’s smirk before he shoved him away, “Then get your own damn cake.” Kai then stormed off, leaving Lay to scratch his head, “Weird kid.”

“I am not weird!”

Lay snorted, “Now he’s funny.”

“ you.” Kai’s voice was low but it managed to enter Lay’s ears despite Kai having his back facing him and that Kai was decreasing the distance between the two.

Lay sighed and turned around, “Now he’s vulgar.”

“Alright, come here you !”

“And now he’s an athlete!” Lay shouted as he ran, down the halls with Kai sprinting after him.

 

 


 

 

 

Hee Young leaned back against the wall, nearby towards the door but she made sure she kept her distance because she knew class was about to end soon. Plus, the number of people in this class was ridiculous – way too many people were into photography.

She set a reminder on her phone to tell her sister about the news and she was so into her phone that she hadn’t notice the swarm of people leaving the room already. All she knew was that she moved here and there, giving way as her eyes glued onto her phone, successfully setting a reminder before putting her phone aside.

She lifted her chin only to come face to face with Minseok, who grinned at her, “So I was right – you are here! Were you waiting for me?”

She gave him a small smile and nodded her head, holding onto her bag, “Yeah. I need to tell you something.”

Minseok nodded enthusiastically, “Sure! What is it?”

She used her head to point to the side, “How about we talk about it over some… cake?”

He had this weird look on his face, staring at her with furrowed eyebrows, “Cake? You don’t like cake.”

She pointed at him shortly, “But you do.”

He shook his head with a pressed smile, scrunching up his face, “Nah… I don’t feel like eating cake today.”

“Coffee?” She tried her luck, knowing that Minseok has a deep love for coffee- “Yes! Let’s go!”

 

 


 

 

“I never knew this was built here.” Hee Young mumbled under her breath, walking into the coffee shop with Minseok in front of her. He looked over his shoulder and smiled, “It opened last week. I’ve been dying to try this place out! What better way to try this place out than with my-“

“May I take your order?”

She nudged him by the arm, making him face front to the cashier who was also the person taking his order. He smiled at her apologetically, “Ah, sorry! I would like a… hm…” He then looked up to the menu, taking in all the names and the choices he had before he’d actually make his choice. Thank God there was no one in here just yet and the crowd was not coming in yet. Hee Young tapped him on the shoulder, “Get me whatever.”

He tilted his head a bit to the side but still keeping his eyes glued to the board, “Do you want tea, then?”

When he glanced at the cashier, she pointed over his shoulder. He, without a clue, looked over his shoulder to take note of Hee Young already settled down by the table near the window. He faced forward and gave her a shy grin, “I guess an iced lemon tea will do for the lady.”

 

 


 

 

“And tell me why are we coming here?” Kai groaned, following behind Lay closely.

“Because one, you kicked me in the . Two, you tripped me. Three, you nearly got us into detention.” Lay explained, walking towards the counter with Kai now standing with Lay in the line. Kai rolled his eyes and waved his hand, looking around whilst Lay took note of Minseok in front of him.

“Hey! Min Min!” Lay snorted, patting Minseok on the shoulder.

The latter looked over his shoulder, startled with the sudden voice booming into his ears. His eyes widened and returned Lay’s handshake, “Hey, Xing Xing?”

Lay smiled and chuckled, “Haven’t seen you in a while, man! Where are you been hiding?”

Minseok grinned and replied politely, “Studying, as so it seems.”

“As so it seems, aye?” Lay wiggled his eyebrows and he didn’t hesitate to step aside, revealing Kai standing behind him, “Yo, Kai, look whose here!”

Kai narrowed his eyes at the person by the window and his eyes widened slightly when he could tell who it was. Coincidentally, she turned her head to wonder what was taking Minseok so long but then she didn’t want to know anymore.

Kai clicked his tongue, his mind saying sarcastically, not a caffeine person, huh?

Lay smacked Kai on the shoulder and even with that, Minseok just knew who he was staring at.

“Yah! Are you freaking deaf?!”

Kai flinched but faced front, noticing Minseok by Lay’s side. Kai waved casually and offered a smile, “Hey, Minseok.”

Minseok nodded and he just prayed inwardly that the cashier had called him to take his order. He faced front and thanked her politely before retrieving the two drinks in his hands. He stepped aside, out of the line for Lay and Kai to make their order, “See you around.” Minseok said nicely before turning his back on them to head towards where Hee Young was.

Minseok set his drinks down onto the table and the first thing Hee Young did was ruffle his hair with a small grin, “Smart boy.”

“I’d like to think so, too.” Minseok chuckled, settling down opposite her as the two of them got into their own world – Minseok felt at ease like this.

Once Lay and Kai had finished making their order, they stood there and waited for their drinks to be made. Lay, of course, had said his opinion out loud but only for Kai to hear, “The two of them look good together.”

Kai arched an eyebrow, staring at Minseok and Hee Young before turning back to Lay, “The both of them? Good together?”

Lay nodded with crossed arms, “Minseok likes her. It’s very obvious.”

Tch, I knew that…

“Then what about her? Does she like him?”

Lay snorted and turned to look at Kai briefly, “What do I look like, cupid? How would I know?” Lay didn’t pay attention to Kai when Lay turned around to retrieve his drinks, with a grin, “Thanks.”

For s sake, Lay.

 

 

 


 Author's Note;  Thank you for the upvotes and the new subscribers. Those who are still commenting, just know that you're the reason why the updates are still coming in - so I thank you.