D-Day

The Absolute Truth

“Ugh, get off me, I need my beauty sleep,” Jaejoong grumbled as he shook away a warm something that was nudging at him. The nudging however, persisted, and he heard a warm voice float down to his ears.

 

“Come on Jaejoong hyung, you can sleep all you want later, today is a big  big day~” Jaejoong could hear the excitement in Yunho’s voice as he blearily got up and saw Yunho prancing around. The other three beds in the room were already empty and neatly made. Jaejoong inadvertently smirked when he saw it, knowing that Yoochun, the resident neat-freak would have made all the beds first thing in the morning. Yawning widely, he stood up shakily and exited the room, knowing that a prancing Yunho would be hard to deal with first thing in the morning.

 

"This is it, this is really it," Jaejoong muttered to himself as he splashed cold water toward his face, wincing as the water hit it.

 

Walking towards their room, he softly opened the the door. Padding on the floor, he smiled softly to see Changmin curled up and hugging his bolster tightly, as if imitating a koala. Perching himself on the edge of his bed, he gently nudged Changmin's shoulder.

 

"Hey, maknae ah, it's time to get up," But all he got in response was an irritated nghh while Changmin buried himself further into the bed, the duvet covering his whole body. Jaejoong decided to nudge harder, and was rewarded with a faceful of duvet when Changmin abruptly sat up  and threw the blanket off himself. Removing the thick blanket from his face to prevent him from suffocating, Jaejoong was faced with a sleepy-eyed Changmin who was looking at him blearily.

 

“Hey hyung,” Changmin merely nodded towards him and moved in the general direction of the bedroom.

 

Jaejoong sighed. He did not know if he should be happy that he did not take the position of the leader, and that he would not have to take responsibility for all of his dongsaengs, or feel guilty for pushing the post to Yunho.

 

Today was going to be a long day.


 

★★★★★

 

“Hey, Yunho hyung, why are you so tense! You need to relax!” Junsu was bounding with excitement, practically radiating (nervous) energy.

 

“Yeah,” Yunho rubbed the back of his neck. “I’m fine, I’m fine.”

 

“Really, hyung, really? You think you can fool me? Just take a backseat and try to relax okay, everything’ll be fine. We practiced so long, remember?” Junsu then lowered his head and whispered conspiratorially. “Besides, that kid from America should be the one who’s worrying. He’s only trained for a few months and he’s debuting with us? Psshhh.”

 

“Play nice, Junsu-ya.” Yunho gave him a nudge and looked at Junsu somewhat sternly. “Remember we’re in this all together from now on, alright? Now hop off and talk nice to him. And remember, his name is Yoochun.”

 

“Oh, alright. I get it, I’ll move.” Junsu groaned, and somewhat reluctantly got up and headed in the general direction of the other boy.

 

“Hey, Yunho-ya, why so gloomy?” Jaejoong flopped in the seat on the couch that had been previously occupied by Junsu.

 

“Nah, just thinking about things in general. About us, about this.” Yunho waved vaguely in the direction of the other three boys who seemed to be getting along well enough, despite some lingering awkwardness.

 

“Hey, come on, don’t think so much alright? We’ll be great, you’ll be great. “ Jaejoong placed his hands on Yunho’s shoulders and started massaging it, easing the knots in both his shoulder and stomach.

 

Yunho looked around him. The floor was nondescript, blank white slates which were nothing special. Slightly dirty in some places due to wear-and-tear. Three small wooden dressers side by side, adorned with only a simple lightbulb above it. The maknae staring into blank space perched atop a dresser. Yoochun talking with Junsu seemingly listening attentively. Two stylists fussing with Changmin’s hair. One rack of clothes which was now empty. The black leather couch that he was sitting on, the colour faded in some places. And Jaejoong, making him feel at ease.

 

This was it.

 

This would be their start.

 

And it was going to be glorious.

 

★★★★★

 

Jaejoong doesn’t remember much. He vaguely remembers Boa-sunbaenim giving them an encouraging hwaiting, and patting him on his shoulder. He remembers seeing the maknae as pale as he has ever seen him. He remembers seeing Junsu’s transformation from bouncy kid to serious singer. He remembers Yoochun in cold sweat, but not wiping it away because the stylists had told him not to touch his make up AT ALL. He remembers Yunho, giving encouraging words right next to him, holding his clammy hands with his warm ones.

 

He remembers how the music literally took over him, like they always say happen in movies and books, drowning him in their glory and sensations. He remembers how the lightning went crazy and all he could hear was the pounding of his heart. He remembers how the actions came to him even without him thinking, like muscle memory.

 

Most of all, he remembers s. His to keep, he thinks.

 

★★★★★

 

. Yoochun somewhat has an obsession with keeping things neatly.

. The five of them shared a room when they first debuted, although the arrangement has changed since then. (If you’re interested, it was mainly Jaejoong-Yoochun, Yunho-Junsu, and Changmin-manager in Korea. And yes I’m sad too that Yunjae didn’t share a room. ): )

. Yunho took the leadership position because Jaejoong refused it.

. Debut day video because c’mon, everyone loves it:

 

 

. Junsu kinda hated Yoochun when they first debuted because he had trained for 6 years before being able to debut, and here was this gangsta kid from ‘murica debuting once he came back to Korea. Ofc they’re best buds now, Yoosu babies everyone!

. Jaejoong was one touchy-feely kid.

. They debuted at BoA and Britney Spears showcase, on 26th December 2003.

. Junsu seems to have the most distinct difference between his offstage and onstage persona in being a dumb cutiepatootie offstage and a ilicious booty which is totally sinful onstage.

 

A/N: Anddddd let the official story begin! Again, really sorry for the huge gaps in updates but I have no excuses except for the fact that my job is my soul out rn (thank god next week will be my last week) and I went to helsinki last week! Hope you enjoyed this chapter, and comments are always appreciated!