Tough times (That will soon pass)

The Absolute Truth

“Aish, this is so tough!” Jaejoong complained as he flopped down on the floor beside Heechul and Jongwoon, who were watching the other trainees with detached interest.

“There’s a reason why we are not in Class A, Jaejoongie.” Heechul did not even bother to turn to look at Jaejoong while replying him.

“I know! But still, look at Yunho and Junsu! We’re all learning the same choreography and techniques but why do they seem like they’re dancing a different dance from us?” Jaejoong continued grumbling as he looked at both the men who were currently, unknowingly, putting on a performance for the three lazy bums sitting down.

“It’s a wonder you even managed to keep it up for so long,” Jongwoon remarked. “Weren’t you up till two last night because you were working in that coffee-shop around the corner?”

“How many part-time jobs do you have, seriously?” Heechul asked. “And how do you even find the time to work part-time, I don’t know. I’m so bushed after each training that I can barely make it home before I collapse.”

“Hyung, you can’t ask that!” Jongwoon winced at the slightly impolite question that had been asked.

Jaejoong thought of his family in Gongju, and the tiny apartment in Seoul that he was currently renting, where the rent was paid out of his own pocket because his family could not even afford to send money to him in Seoul. He thought of how he donated his blood last week just to get the free cookies that were supposed to be a reward for a good deed, of how he had been selling candies outside the supermarket near his rented apartment in the morning because he had been lagging behind on his rent. Knowing that other trainees were well aware of his plight and that Heechul had meant no harm, he pasted a smile on his face, not wanting others to worry about him.

“Hey, speaking of jobs, I just got my new hairdressing license yesterday! Does anyone here want a free haircut, courtesy of Kim Jaejoong?” Jaejoong tried to brighten the slightly awkward atmosphere.

“Uhhhh, I would really like to volunteer to be your guinea pig, but look at my glorious hair now!” As if to prove his point, Heechul flipped his hair and hurriedly turned to look at Jongwoon. “What about you? Think about it, if he really debuts in the future, you can brag to others that you got your hair cut by the famous Kim Jaejoong!”

“But….” Jongwoon trails off as he catches the meaningful look Heechul is shooting at him. “Weeeell, I guess it couldn’t hurt.” He shrugs and smiles at Jaejoong.

“Great! Let’s use one of the dressing rooms, I’ll check if one is available!” Jaejoong visibly brightens and bounds out of the room in search of a dressing room.

It is at that point where Yunho promptly plops on the floor, occupying the space that Jaejoong had left empty.

“Hey, what were you guys talking about?” Yunho enquired curiously.

“Nothing much, Jaejoongie was just jealous of your amazing dancing skills.” Heechul smiled mischievously.

“What, it’s not that amazing.” But Yunho looks pleased, nonetheless. “Besides, he’s so much better than me at singing. Have you heard his voice, it’s like an angel’s.” He adds as an afterthought. And before either Heechul or Jongwoon can reply, he’s off again, bouncing astoundingly in time with the music that was blaring overhead.

 

“Heeeeey guys!” Jaejoong’s head popped in from a slightly ajar door, causing both Heechul and Jongwoon to turn around. “It’s time for your haircut, Jongwoon-hyung!”

Heechul nudged Jongwoon with great relish.

“Come on, let’s go get your hair cut already!”

“Aish, okay okay, I’m coming Jaejoong-ah.” Jongwoon plastered a smile on his face to cover up his nervousness at getting his hair cut by a rookie hairdresser.

★★★★★★

“Tada!” Jaejoong exclaimed with an exaggerated flourish reminiscent of professional hairdressers.  Jongwoon peeked nervously in the mirror and let out a sigh.

“It’s good isn’t it! I told you it would be fine!” Jaejoong bounced about excitedly, happy to have completed his first haircut seemingly successfully. “Oh, look at the time now, I have work soon! Okay goodbye then!” Jaejoong rushed out of the room, leaving Jongwoon and Heechul looking at each other exasperatedly.

“So… how am I gonna tell him that this haircut looks godawful on me?” Jongwoon buried his face in his hands and wailed. “How am I even going to walk around with what looks like a bird’s nest on my head!”

“Well, I think it looks good, actually. Maybe it’s your face that is the problem.” Heechul smirked at Jongwoon’s reflection in the mirror.

“Yah!” Jongwoon shouted playfully at Heechul as the latter ran out of the room laughing. “What did you just say!?”

 

★★★★★★

Facts:

. There are different classes at SM where you are placed depending on your ability in that particular skill. (eg. Singing, dancing.)

. Jaejoong took up many part-time jobs during his trainee period. (yes, even selling candy and donating blood)

. He somehow obtained a hairdressing license.

. Jongwoon (SJ Yesung’s real name), Heechul were friends with both Yunho and Jaejoong.

 

A/N: This chapter is up really fast because this was sort of written the same time as the previous chapter. Kind of a filler chapter but I came across all those awful jobs (or not really jobs, things) that Jaejoong had to do in order to achieve his dream and I thought this merited a chapter, at least. And yes, I'm a er for DBSKXSJ, has anyone noticed yet? Anyway, I have the next two chapters written already and will probably post it up before I go overseas next week! The real action is gonna begin really soon! ^^

A/N2: And special thanks to Neng2ovid, ichigomax and miracleftw! AND I LOOOOOOOVE ICHIGO!CHAMI omg. <3