Kindness

12 Miracles in December

KINDNESS ft. Kim Joonmyun

 

Kim Joonmyun fought his way through the hazy morning as he got the morning paper outside of his apartment in his pyjamas. One huge yawn did the trick as he quickly shook his head to get rid of sleep. He poured freshly made hot chocolate in his mug and placed marshmallows on top—just the way he likes it. Suddenly, his mobile phone rang.

 

Kim Jongdae: Hey guys! I’m only reminding my close friends, so if you receive this text, you’re in luck! Tonight is the annual Christmas Tree-lighting ceremony. It would be really meaningful if you guys attend this year since I am the organizer for the event. Remember, it’s at the Seoul Plaza. The program starts at 8:30p.m. Thank you!

 

Joonmyun thought. He really wanted to go, but he’s just really busy that day. As much as Joonmyun wanted to text Jongdae back, he just didn’t want to sound fake by typing ‘I’ll try’ or keep Jongdae’s hopes up by saying ‘I’ll be there!’

 

He decided to text him when he’s sure of his answer.

 

Upon finishing his morning routines, he found himself looking at the family pictures he had on the table beside his bookshelf. He couldn’t believe that it’s been that long since he stayed away from his family. Joonmyun was a wealthy person. He could get anything he wanted in a snap, and he didn’t have to suffer any hardships because of his parents’ wealth and influence.

 

Joonmyun was anything but spoiled. As soon as he graduated high school, he moved out of his home and into a studio apartment so he could learn independence. But the main reason was that he didn’t want to be in the same household as his parents. He didn’t feel their presence at all; just their money. He felt unloved. When he told his parents, it was like they didn’t care. And here Joonmyun is, taking care of himself.

 

----------

 

Joonmyun was on his way to the supermarket when his friend’s text put a smile on his face.

 

Sehunnie: Hyunggie!

 

Junmama: Neh Sehunnie?

 

Sehun: Today is a good day ^///^

 

Junmama: Why? Kekeke~

 

Sehun: I’ll tell you later today when everything’s done.

 

“Hmm… what is he up to now..?” Joonmyun thought as he stared at the screen.

 

Sehun was like a little brother to him. Ever since Joonmyun helped Sehun in his bike accident, they’ve been getting closer and closer.

 

“Alms… alms…” Joonmyun heard a weak, faint voice nearby.

 

“A-alms…” he heard again.

 

Turning his head left and right, he finally saw a scrawny kid by his right leg with his hand held in front of him. Joonmyun looked at his stick-like figure and the sad look on his face. After getting sympathy, he couldn’t help himself from pulling out a hundred thousand Korean Won (approximately ninety-five dollars) from his wallet and bend down to meet the child eye-to-eye.

 

“Hey,” Joonmyun smiled as he gave out the money to the beggar. “Merry Christmas.”

 

The beggar was in a state of shock as he saw the bills on his hand, and he ruffled through them to check if this wasn’t a joke.

 

Joonmyun looked left and right to check if people are around. “Are your parents still around?”

 

The beggar nodded slowly as he was still looking at the huge amount of bills in his hands.

 

Joonmyun laughed lightly. “Listen. Go straight home, and don’t let anyone else steal this away from you; and when you arrive, give it to your parents and tell them to use it for a happy Christmas, okay?”

 

The beggar’s face brightened up—a look that he made for the first time in his entire life.

 

Joonmyun got a pen and a crumpled piece of paper in his chest pocket. He signed the paper and gave it.

 

“Just to make sure your parents will believe you,” Joonmyun laughed as he stood up.

 

“Thank you so much!” The beggar shouted for joy as he ran off. “Merry Christmas!”

 

Jooonmyun just smiled as he saw the beggar run off. He was always this kind. Seeing his parents trample on other people when he was young, he swore that he wouldn’t do the same when he grew up. Yes, Joonmyun had a kind, humble heart, but it still wouldn’t mask the dark stain imprinted deep inside his own—made from the loathsome memory of his parents.

 

“Well, I’m short hundred thousand now,” Joonmyun sighed as he looked down. “I still have enough for groceries right..?”

 

Money was never an issue for Joonmyun. Even if he cut ties with his parents, his bank account was still being over-supplied with the money his parents make. At least this was one way for him to survive. With this money, he was able to start his own small, simple business.

 

----------

 

“Oh my g—” Joonmyun’s face gave a very surprised look as he saw the huge crowd of people in the supermarket that day.

 

“Could I just come another day..?” Joonmyun thought to himself.

 

“No! I’m already here… might as well make do with whatever I get today.”

 

He never really did like crowds because he couldn’t mix well with them. Ever since, mixing with crowds made him sick—literally. This is why he would always bring his face mask if he knows he’s going somewhere crowded. Joonmyun didn’t bring it today. After a few seconds staring at the huge building in front of him, he suddenly figured that he can use his handkerchief instead. He pulled out his white handkerchief, with K.J.M. sewn on it, and covered his mouth and nose. He was ready to charge.

 

Joonmyun started off at the fruit stand for his Christmas fruit basket. As expected, there were a lot of people swarming around it, so he waited for the stand to clear up a bit. As soon as he saw an opening, Joonmyun rushed in with his cart and saw one watermelon left. He smiled as he got it and put it in his cart.

 

“Aww…”

 

Joonmyun’s eyebrows crossed as he heard something nearby.

 

“The last watermelon…” Joonmyun turned behind him and saw a girl pouting.

 

He stuttered as he pulled back with his cart. He hesitated a bit and looked at the watermelon in his cart. When he looked back at the girl about to leave, he waved his hands.

 

“W-wait!” The girl turned to him and looked at him with a blank expression. “This watermelon is yours.”

 

The girl smiled as Joonmyun transferred the watermelon from his cart to her’s. The girl bowed and thanked him.

 

“Now that crosses the whole fruits list out for today…”

 

Joonmyun then transferred to the meat section. But his luck just ran out as they just ran out of stock.

 

“You can return later for fresh stock, sir. We’ll be announcing through our P.A. system.”

 

“Finally,” he thought. At least he’ll come out of the grocery with something.

 

“I will, thank you,” Joonmyun smiled and turned away.

 

----------

 

Joonmyun sulked and pouted as he went through each aisle of the supermarket. Among all the items in his list, he got nothing; his shopping cart was empty. At each item, he was always hopeful that he’d get it for himself, but all the other items were either selflessly handed-over by him to the other person after it, or fortunately taken by someone else right before Joonmyun would get it.

 

“Eggs,” Joonmyun uttered the last item on his list as he turned to the next aisle.

 

Looking at the shelf, it seems that there is only one last carton. From a distance, using his peripheral vision, he saw another person eyeing the egg carton. As his head turned to the guy, they both made eye contact. After a few seconds, they both ran towards the shelf with their shopping carts.

 

“Please let this be mine.”

 

The other guy gave out a low grunt as they both touched the egg carton at the same time.

 

“It’s mine,” the guy said in a blank face.

 

Joonmyun looked sincerely at the guy and smiled. “Alright, it’s yours.”

 

The other person’s eyebrows met after Joonmyun said that.

 

“I’ll just wait for new stocks,” Joonmyun replied smiling.

 

After a few seconds, the other guy smiled and bowed. Joonmyun smiled as he saw him turn away. Soon after he sighed and turned away to the other direction. Joonmyun left the shopping cart at the side and made his way out of the supermarket. It would be useless to buy meat if he didn’t have the right ingredients to season it with. He sighed as he looked up in desperation. That day was definitely not his day.

 

“Should I stop being nice?” He thought.

 

“Wait… have I forgotten something..?” Joonmyun, being his random self, just realized this. He quickly took out his mobile phone to check for new messages. None.

 

“Where’s Sehunnie now—”

“Ahh!” Suddenly, he heard a girl scream for a distance, and he, by instinct, turned to look at the direction where the scream was coming from.

 

“Aigo!” He exclaimed as he ran towards the girl, who just dropped her bags full of grocery items. “Let me help you!”

 

“I’m so clumsy. S-sorry for the trouble,” the girl replies as Joonmyun bends down to the ground and helps her picks up all her groceries.

 

A couple of minutes later, they finally stand up after fixing everything. It was also a good thing that the paper bags were still intact.

 

“Thank you so much,” The girl smiled shyly.

 

“Oh, it’s nothing,” Joonmyun replied. “Merry Christmas!”

 

“Merry Christmas!” The girl waved as she went off.

 

Joonmyun smiled into the distance and sighed.

 

His walk back to his studio apartment was filled with regret. He kept telling himself that he should’ve kept them for himself, or he should’ve got to the items before the others. There’s always tomorrow, and the next day, but he has to attend to his work before Christmas. Now, he doesn’t have anything to prepare for Christmas Eve. One thing on his mind that he wanted erased was the idea of spending this Christmas with his parents for a change.

 

“No, not this year…” Joonmyun said to himself when he ran across the thought over and over again. He thought about it but his heart just couldn’t find the light in him to go back.

 

As he returned, Joonmyun sat down quietly on his couch and just kept staring at the family pictures lined-up in the distance. There were painful memories, horrendous memories, and annoying memories; which is why in the end, with all his kind heart, he finally decided—he didn’t want to end things like this.

 

Joonmyun smiled with content and eventually fell into the sly spell of slumber.