Love

12 Miracles in December

LOVE ft. Park Chanyeol

 

Krrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiing! Krrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiing!

 

The alarm clock sounded loudly one lazy, stuffy December morning. The peaceful environment was disturbed by that one noise that tried to wake up the sleeping person in the room—and it was successful. The guy’s eyes opened fully as soon as his ears were able to take in the alarm that had gone off. He looked left and right as he suddenly beamed a huge smile. The guy repeatedly threw kicks to kick away his blanket off of him.

 

“Aha!” He shouted as he sat up. “Today’s the day!”

 

Park Chanyeol happily got up from his bed and went to the bathroom. A few seconds after, he walked out of the bathroom and rushed back to his bed as if he had forgotten something. He picked up his mobile phone and dialled someone’s number.

 

“Sorry Byunnie. I know it’s too early for you, but bear with me,” Chanyeol said as he pressed the call button. He waited for a few seconds but cut the line off when no one was answering.

 

He looked at his mobile phone and pressed the call button again. “Please pick up… please pick u—”

 

“Yeoboseyoooo…” the guy on the other line replied sleepily.

 

Chanyeol blushed. The mere voice of this person sends a different kind of feeling in Chanyeol.

 

“Baekhyunnie! Good morning Baekhyunnie! How is Baekhyunnie doing this morning?” Chanyeol replied in a really ecstatic voice.

 

“It’s been… eh. Yo—”

 

“How’s later today for you?”

 

“Err… you know I have work this evening right?”

 

“But that still at eleven Byunnie! Spend the day with me?” Chanyeol was bouncing in place as he replied in a very happy and expressive tone.

 

“Yes, yes, sure,” he replied sleepily.

 

“Great! I’ll text you the details, okay? Okay! Bye bye! See you later! I wub woo!” Chanyeol ended his call.

 

Byun Baekhyun is Chanyeol’s long-time boyfriend. Ever since Chanyeol laid his eyes on him, he slowly became Chanyeol’s weak spot; when it comes to Baekhyun, something different always happens within Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol ran around his apartment preparing himself for his big plan. Today, he plans on spending the whole afternoon and night time with Baekhyun as an early Christmas gift because he knows how busy his boyfriend can get when Christmas day approaches.

 

----------

 

He was picking out his outfit when he suddenly was illusions and silhouettes. Chanyeol was seeing things.

 

“Maybe this one?” The Baekhyun silhouette asked. “Try this suit out.”

 

Chanyeol remembered taking the suit from Baekhyun and putting it on. “H-how is this?”

 

Baekhyun fixed Chanyeol’s suit and made his way behind him. Baekhyun slowly wrapped his arms around Chanyeol and peeked from behind him. “My boyfriend’s so handsome.”

 

Chanyeol smiled shyly as he heard Baekhyun’s compliment.

 

“I don’t think anything I would wear to the graduation ball will ever match yours,” Baekhyun chuckled.

 

“N-no!” Chanyeol got defensive for his boyfriend. “You’re the popular one and the stylish one… you’re more handsome, Baekhyunnie…”

 

Baekhyun chuckled again as he looked up at his boyfriend’s face. “You’ve always been more handsome than I am, Chanyeollie.”

 

“Am I even fit for you?” Chanyeol pouted and looked down. “I’m a loser.”

 

“Yah, Chanyeollie,” Baekhyun turned Chanyeol so that they could face each other. “You’re not a loser. And of course we match. Love knows no bounds. Remember that.”

 

“Love knows no bounds.” Chanyeol ran through that line over and over again. In real time, Chanyeol distinctly remembered where he got his motto in life: Baekhyun.

 

Chanyeol does everything for Baekhyun. He gives space, of course, but he’s always there as a pillow, stress ball, and a shoulder to lean on, whenever Baekhyun needed him.

 

----------

 

Chanyeol was on his way to the flower shop. As he was walking towards the flower shop, he was counting the money he brought if it was sufficient for his expenses today.

 

“Good afternoon,” the flower shop girl greeted.

 

“Good afternoon!” Chanyeol replied with a huge smile. “I’ll have a bouquet of roses please.”

 

The girl giggled and turned to get roses from the basket. “Who’s the lucky girl?”

 

“Boy, actually.”

 

The flower shop girl was a little caught off-guard with what Chanyeol said but smiled anyway. “He must be very lucky…”

 

“Nah,” Chanyeol replied. “I’m lucky for having him.”

 

“Waa…” The girl reacted in a high-pitched tone.

 

Chanyeol laughed.

 

“Here’s the bouquet,” the girl handed it over to him. “I hope you impress him today. You’re handsome and your suit is dashing.”

 

Chanyeol looked at the bouquet and smiled.

 

“For my handsome Chanyeollie,” He remembered Baekhyun’s smile as Chanyeol received the bouquet of roses.

 

“Baek…” Chanyeol was in awe. “Thank you…”

 

“I don’t know how else I can repay you, Chanyeol.  You tried so hard to impress me and make me fall for you back in high school. The least I can do is to shower you with my love.”

 

“I love you, Byun Baekhyun,” Chanyeol replied shyly.

 

“Yah… I… I love you too…” Baekhyun smiled.

 

After reminiscing, Chanyeol bowed at the girl. “Thank you so much. But my boyfriend is more handsome.”

 

The girl giggled as she received Chanyeol’s payment. “Thank you for coming! I hope things go well.”

 

Chanyeol smiled before leaving the shop. Outside, while he was trying to put his wallet back in his tight pocket, suddenly, a kid ran and snatched it from him.

 

Chanyeol was in a state of shock and panicked. Finally, he regained his senses and ran to catch the kid. “Yah! That’s my wallet.”

 

He chased the kid and thought about all the things he was planning for that day. He can’t just cancel the whole day in a snap. He found it humiliating that, not only is he chasing a kid, but for Baekhyun who made an effort to wake up earlier than usual because of him.

 

“HEY!” He shouted again. But there just came a certain point that he couldn’t run anymore and got tired.

 

He stopped and bent down to catch some air. Then he realized that he had stopped in front of someone. When Chanyeol looked at him, the guy seemed a little confused so he thought he needed to explain, just for his sake.

 

“He…” Chanyeol panted. “Stole my money…”

 

There was no reply coming from the guy.

 

Chanyeol looked up at the guy’s face and smiled. “Sorry for the trouble.”

 

“Excuse me?” the guy suddenly changed the topic and asked, “Where did you buy those flowers?”

 

“Over—” Chanyeol coughed. “There,” Chanyeol pointed at the flower store a few blocks back.

 

The guy smiled. “Thanks. Oh, and I hope you get your money back.”

 

“Nah… that’s as good as gone… oh well…” Chanyeol sighed. When he was able to catch his breath, he stood up and left, sulking. He found a nearby bench and sat down. His eyes widened as if he had just remembered something. He felt his whole suit and let out a sigh of relief.

 

“At least it’s still here.”

 

“What do I do now?” Chanyeol asked himself. He looked at his bouquet of flowers and smiled. Chanyeol got up and started walking again.

 

----------

 

“Yes, it’s three thousand won (around three USD),” Chanyeol was talking to a girl who seemed interested in buying a rose from Chanyeol.

 

“Hmm…” The girl crossed her arms. “Fine, I’ll take it for three thousand. It’s just because you’re handsome.”

 

“Heheheh…” Chanyeol scratched the back of his head and received the girl’s payment. “Thank you!”

 

“Two more roses to sell!”

 

Chanyeol thought of selling all roses except for one so that he could get some money at the very least. He’s been going around the town square asking people if they wanted to buy roses. So far, he’s already sold quite a lot and he’s finally down to his rose to sell.

 

“Excuse me miss, would you like a rose? It’s the last one.”

 

“Oh, but you have two left,” the girl crossed her arms. “Can I get the other one?”

 

“Ah, that’s for me. I’m giving that one away.”

 

“Aww, how sweet. That person’s lucky to have someone like you.”

 

Chanyeol slowly smiled at the girl as he remembered something.

 

“Hey, Chanyeollie boy,” Baekhyun asked Chanyeol, lying down on the hospital bed. Chanyeol didn’t reply since it was difficult for him to. He looked at Baekhyun with deep-set eyes. This was not the Chanyeol Baekhyun was used to.

 

Baekhyun held Chanyeol’s hand and gave an assuring smile. “You’ll be alright, okay?”

 

Chanyeol smiled weakly as he looked into Baekhyun’s eyes.

 

“Oh giant,” Baekhyun chuckled to prevent him from crying. “Stop looking at me like that.”

 

A tear drop came from Chanyeol’s eye and made its way down his cheek. Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol—his respirator and other tubes connected to his body.

 

Finally, Baekhyun gave in and tears ran down his face.

 

“A-aigo…” Baekhyun wiped his tears away with his index finger. He sniffed and carefully held Chanyeol’s hand close to his mouth. It was heavy; as if Chanyeol was putting all his weight on it. “My Chanyeollie…”

 

Chanyeol made little noises as he eventually fell into crying harder.

 

“Don’t cry Chanyeollie, you’ll get better soon.” Baekhyun carefully brought his arms around Chanyeol and gave him a hug. He made sure he wasn’t pressing on any tubes.

 

He brought his mouth near Chanyeol’s ear and whispered, “Your Baekhyunnie is always here to love you, Chanyeollie. I’m always here.”

 

Right then, Chanyeol shed a tear in front of the girl he was selling his rose to. Chanyeoll sniffed and smiled. “No. I’m the lucky one.”

 

The girl tilted her head and gave a sad look at him. “I hope the both of you will be beside each other this Christmas.”

 

Chanyeol bowed.

 

“Here. I’ll buy it,” the girl said as she asked Chanyeol for the price. After buying, Chanyeol was left standing in the middle of everything. He looked at the money he earned and shook his head.

 

“This isn’t enough for Baekhyun…”

 

He was looking around and saw a guy cleaning his guitar. Chanyeol automatically assumed that the guy was a street performer.

 

“Excuse me,” Chanyeol approached the guy with a huge smile. “May I borrow this, please?”

 

The guy looked at Chanyeol and smiled back. “You’ll play my guitar?”

 

Chanyeol nodded.

 

“Here you go,” the guy gave his guitar and Chanyeol automatically checked the tuning of the strings.

 

“Thank you,” Chanyeol bowed.

 

He set out in the middle of the town square and opened the guitar case in front of him. He then started playing a song on the guitar. Soon after, he followed the guitar playing with his singing.

 

“Neoreul mannamyeon nunmul chaolla~”

 

People started gathering as the crowd in front of him grew. They started throwing and dropping money into the guitar case.

 

The whole time, he was just thinking of Baekhyun and how much he owes him for defending their relationship numerous times. Chanyeol loved Baekhyun so much that he was willing to do what it takes to match his boyfriend’s efforts.

 

Chanyeol finally finished his song and the crowd cheered as he bowed. People slowly trickled out and Chanyeol started to gather the money he had earned. Suddenly he heard some more coins being dropped in the guitar case.

 

“Yah, Park Chanyeol.”

 

Chanyeol’s eyes enlarged as he heard that familiar voice coming from behind him.