5

Forbidden Zone

After dinner, the whole team headed down to the bar situated a few metres from their hotel. Giving in to Yixing and Luhan’s incessant reassurance of ‘you don’t have school tomorrow so loosen up’, Kyungsoo allowed them to order her a cocktail.

Two drinks were all it needed to make Kyungsoo open up. She suddenly found the world very amusing and giggled at everything, including Jongin’s humorless jokes, which earned her judging looks from everyone else at the table.

Not long after, everyone in the group began to disappear. Jongdae had gotten up first and walked up to this woman who was sitting in the booth opposite to theirs. Kris and Yixing soon left along with Sehun and Luhan.

Kyungsoo went to the bathroom and on her way back, she bumped into a man, causing the wine glass in his hand to shatter onto the floor.

'Sorry.' She apologised, bowing her head profusely.

'It’s okay. Don’t worry.' His face broke out into a surprised expression when they look at each other. 'Is it you, Do Kyungsoo?'

Her eyes widened. 'Junmyeon?'

'Good to see you. How have you been? What are you doing here?'

She smiled awkwardly. 'I’m here on a vacation with my friends. How about you?'

'I’m on my honeymoon,' he replied in a happy tone. A woman walked up to him, hugging him from behind. Kyungsoo’s smile immediately faltered.

'Why did you leave me by myself?' Her former best friend pouted to her husband before looking at Kyungsoo. A smug look painted on her face as she eyed her. 'Long time no see, Kyungsoo. How are you?'

'Good,' Kyungsoo replied curtly. Jealousy returned to her like an old, unwanted friend.

Bringing up their clasped hands, Hyorin flashed their wedding rings to her. Kyungsoo clenched her jaws.

'Do you want to sit down and talk?' Junmyeon asked. She thought it was done out of courtesy, judging from the poorly concealed hesitation on his face.

Turning to him, she shook her head. 'Maybe another time. My friends are waiting for me.' She walked away quickly, feeling anger building up inside her.

A few years ago, she had dreamt of being married to Junmyeon. She’d pictured herself in his embrace as they watch their daughter. Kyungsoo was supposed to be happily in love now. But all of that was no longer possible because of that woman.

Kyungsoo didn’t understand why Hyorin had to steal Junmyeon from her when she could have all the men she wanted. Her former friend had always been the popular one with her glamorous body while Kyungsoo was the boring nerd. So why did she need to do that?

All in all, she was bitter and jealous of Hyorin’s married status more than the fact she’d stolen Junmyeon from her.

Tears stung her eyes as she knocked down a bottle of beer, already grown accustomed to the slightly bitter taste. She bought a few more bottles and made her way back out to the beach.

When she was on her second bottle, she felt someone swat down beside her.

‘What are you doing out here drinking like this? Any bastard could have come and you.’ The person reprimanded her. Squinting her eyes, she recognised Jongin in the dark. Her hand reached out to snatch back the bottle. She mumbled, ‘Leave me alone.’

He held the bottle away, refusing to give it back to her. 'You’re not going to drink anymore. Stand up, I’ll take you back.'

'No. Give me back.' She reached for it again.

He pulled it further away from her grasp, causing her to tumble forward in her tipsy state. She shouted into his face, 'I’m your teacher and I’m demanding you to give it back me.'

He looked at her with determined eyes. Angry, Kyungsoo punched his arm.

'Why won’t you let me drink?' she sobbed. His eyes softened at the sight of her tears. A small sigh emitted from his mouth. Kneeling down beside her, he patted her back.

'Why do men always choose her?' She clung onto him. 'It’s so unfair.' The questions were more for her rather than him. 'Am I that boring and ugly?'

'Don’t say things like that about yourself,' he chided softly. His eyes trailed along her forehead to the wet eyelashes then stopping at her lips. 'You are not ugly at all,' he muttered quietly to himself.

Eventually, Jongin’s wordless consolation managed to stop her crying. She rested her head against his chest, eyes closed. Assuming that she was asleep, he bent his head to observe her face.

His head continued to lean down until his lips were a few centimetres away from hers. He paused there, eyes tracing her lips a little more before placing his lips gently onto hers.

At that moment, her eyes fluttered open as she felt the soft pressure. Her eyes enlarged when she realised who the kisser was. Had it been other times, she would have pushed him away with a slap. But this was Kyungsoo in her intoxicated state, and she might (not that she would ever admit) have a crush on her student. And so, consequences can be damned. She just wanted to enjoy Jongin’s kiss.

She lifted her face a little, swinging her arms around his neck, pulling him closer and relaxing her body. Surprised by her boldness, he held up her face, tilting it at an angle to deepen the kiss.

Somewhere along the kissing, her body decided that it had enough for the day. Jongin’s gentle smile was the last thing on her mind before she passed out.

------

Kyungsoo woke up, feeling quite thirsty. The throbbing headache made her rolled around with both hands embracing her head. It felt as though someone was using a hammer to pound her brain.

Yixing rushed to her from the door, handing her some aspirin. 'They’ll help with the headache. I’ve packed your stuff for you. We will leave in two hours.'

Kyungsoo merely nodded. Her mind was still muddled. Yixing took a seat on the bed opposite to hers. 'Did you see them yesterday?'

She looked up at her friend, giving a nod. Surprisingly, she didn’t feel as bad as she had the night before. Yixing sighed. 'Sorry, I tried to keep them away from you but when I came back, you were already gone. We were really worried.'

'It wasn’t your fault,' Kyungsoo said. 'Sorry for making you guys worried. I should have told you before I left.'

'Lucky Jongin found you. Who knows what would’ve happened'

An alarm went off in Kyungsoo’s head at the mention of his name. The memory of the kiss at the beach rushed back to her, along with all the consequences. Knocking herself on the head, she groaned, 'Oh stupid me. So stupid.'

'What’s wrong? Is your headache that bad?' Yixing massaged her temples. Kyungsoo shook her head.

After successfully forcing Kyungsoo to eat some food, Yixing made her lie down before leaving the room.

Jongin was probably kissing her out of pity, she thought. He was an attractive man (with seductive thick lips she might add) who was never short of girls available to be with him. She would have known from her female students’ comments.

While Kyungsoo was aware of her attraction to him, she also knew that it had to stay hidden and get eradicated before it gotten out of control. She didn’t seem to be his type and moreover, he was her student and thus, it would be impossible even if her feelings were reciprocated. Another heart break was the last thing she needed.  

------

Avoiding Jongin was Kyungsoo’s temporary measure to suppress her feelings. Until the next day, she needed to work out another way because avoidance isn’t going to be effective at school.

By the next morning, she still hadn’t been able to come up with a more effective method. And so, she continued trying to ignore his existence in school. This was quite mentally exhausting as she had to constantly remind herself not to look at him during class time. The girls in her class hadn’t been making it any easier for her with their loud discussion about him, which consisted mostly of their swooning over his godly looks.

By the following week, Kyungsoo began to find the whole ignoring thing slightly easier. She didn’t take the way past the music block to go home that Thursday. She also declined Kris’ invitation to his gig. And although she was still thinking about him; at least she didn’t have more images for her attraction to manifest.

It was Wednesday, the day where Kyungsoo had to stay back to prepare the weekly experiments for her junior students. She was busy making iodine solution when she heard the door opened and closed. Lifting her head up, she found Jongin walking toward her, his eyes were a lot more intense than normal. Watching him approach, she gulped.

'Why have you been avoiding me?' Jongin was never one who likes to beat around the bush, and he certainly wasn’t going to now.

She went back to preparing the solution. 'I haven’t. You are just thinking too much.'

He scoffed. 'Are you listening to yourself right now? Alright, if you deny that, then why aren’t you looking at me when we’re talking?'

I’m occupied with this solution. So I apologise if I make you feel ignored.'

'No, you’re doing that because you know I am right.'

She moved to the bench where the celeries were. “I don’t know what you are talking about. Go home, you shouldn’t be in here at this time.”

'Is it because we kissed?' Her hands paused shortly before going back to cutting the celery sticks. 'No,' she replied, trying to sound as calm as possible.

'Don’t lie to me. Everything was fine until the morning after the kiss,' he growled. 'You can’t ignore me. We need to talk about it.'

Taking off her gloves, she turned to face him. 'You want to talk about it? Fine. It was an accident. There.'

'An accident? You called it an accident when you kissed me back?' He asked in a tone of disbelief. 'You wanted me.'

'I did not want you.' She tried to excuse. 'It was a mistake on my behalf. I was drunk and didn’t know what I was doing.'

Suddenly, there was a smirk on his face. 'Do you know what they say about drunken people?' His voice dropped to a lower octave. 'They say people are most honest when they're intoxicated.'

Kyungsoo was at a loss for words. Pointing to the door, she said, 'This conversation is too inappropriate. We’re not continuing it. Just go home.'

Instead of obliging, he walked closer to her, causing her to step back until she was trapped between the wall and him. 'I know you had been secretly watching me dance every Thursday afternoon.' He whispered into her ears. Her large eyes widened in horror. 'Your gaze is enough to tell me how much you want me.'

She tried to push him away but he did not budge. There was no way that she could lie anymore, she thought, a resigned sigh left .

'What do you want, Jongin?' she asked tiredly.

His lips curved into a small smile when he recognised the defeat in her voice. He backed away a little to look at her. 'I want you.'

'If you’re looking for someone to have with, then you are looking at the wrong person.'

'I will never force you into it.'

'As if you could,' she jeered. 'What I am telling you is that I’m not going to do it until I get married. Get it?' She said, hoping that it would bring a stop to whatever intention he was having.

He nodded.  

'Good. So shoo.'

'I didn’t say anything about giving up.' Confusion was painted all over her face. He continued, 'I will wait until then.'

'You’re kidding right?' She shook her head, completely shocked by his answer.

'No.'

Rubbing her temples, she pushed him toward the door. 'Okay. I’m serious this time. You need to go home right now.'

He refused to move any further. 'I’m being serious.'

'Dating students is illegal. This will never work. Can’t you see?'

'It isn’t impossible. You just need to try hard.'

'No, we are not going to even try,' she said adamantly. Letting out a sigh of frustration, she continued, 'Look, you are too young. Marriage isn’t something you completely understand or are prepared for. And plus, I’m not the type to date for fun either.'

'Firstly, I’m not that young. I’m already nineteen, legal and old enough to understand the idea of responsibility,' he said. 'Secondly, who said I’m going to date you for fun?'

'Please, don’t make this any harder for me. Just go,' she pleaded, closing her eyes.

When she opened her eyes, he was standing right in front of her, looking fondly at her. 'Stop resisting me. Give me a chance, I’ll prove to you that this can work.'

The temptation was growing inside her, slowly breaking down her resolve. 'Just let me think about it more, okay?'

'Okay. But I am telling you, I won’t be taking no for an answer.' He took his bag and left the class room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

tbc.

 

 

Thank you for reading. Comments will be much appreciated.

Hope you enjoy this chapter ^^