1

Forbidden Zone

Cheers of excitement filled the classroom at the sound of the afternoon bell. Do Kyungsoo let out a sigh of relief as she put the spare sheets into the folder with the label ‘Mitosis and Meiosis’, smiling at the students as they rushed out of her Biology classroom. Locking the door carefully, she made her way to the gate while doing a mental check of her weekend plan:

  1. Friday- marking the rest of her senior assignments.
  2. Saturday- preparing the content for next week.
  3. Sunday- lazing around and then meeting up with Yixing.

The thought of lying around and watching re-runs of her drama put a smile on her face. The school was empty by now as the majority of the student body and teachers had left. A frown quickly replaced the previous smile when Kyungsoo remembered that she had forgotten to lock the science storeroom.

She mentally berated herself as she walked back into the school. A familiar piano tune coming from the music block reached her ears. Upon recognising that it was Exo’s ‘My Lady’, a song which she had put on a repeat mode in her ipod, she stopped at the entrance door. She wondered if the music teacher was a fan of Exo. It would be excellent to have someone to fangirl with, she thought. After all, her science colleagues were old men and women who had no interest in anything else except for cooking and science.

The eagerness to make new friends made Kyungsoo entered the block. Once she was inside, shyness became overwhelming and she hid behind the door, peering into the room attentively through the narrow gap.

To her surprise, it wasn’t a teacher. In front of the mirror wall was a male student dancing in the centre of the room. His movement was in synch with the beat as though the song belonged to him. Her eyes then travelled to his face and she immediately recognised him.

It was no one other than Kim Jongin – the infamous student who unfailingly slept through all of her Biology lessons numerous times.

She’d always been curious about him. He rarely talked in class, and even if he did, the person was either Sehun or Luhan. His quiet and standoffish persona made him quite appealing to the female students, who were easily attracted to the cold stereotype portrayed through the media. The rumours circulating amongst the groups of girls was one of the reason that piqued Kyungsoo curiosity in the first place.

Inside the room was a different Jongin. The expression on his face replaced the usual sleepiness, hypnotising her like a spell. His intense gaze as he monitored himself from the mirror wall had Kyungsoo swallowing her saliva.

Even when he had stopped dancing, her eyes were still trained on him. The image of his sensual expression constantly replayed inside her head, generating a bright shade of red on her cheeks.

Oh God, she would never be able to look at him without feeling embarrassed after this, she cried inwardly. Why didn’t she just walk away instead of watching him? Stupid fangirl urges, she scolded herself.

Suddenly, the door opened wide with Jongin standing before her.

'Uh…uh.' She looked up at him.

He raised his brows when she failed to give a coherent explanation for her presence. She briefly contemplated on the idea of running away before realising that it was useless since she was going to see him for at least four times a week for the remaining of the year anyway. And while she stayed, she didn’t know what to say.

In a moment of panic, she blurted out, 'You’re really good.'

She imagined herself digging a hole on the ground and getting ready to jump into it.

'Thanks.' The questioning look remained on his face.

'Uhm…So I heard the song from outside and thought that the music teacher had it on. I just want to see who the teacher was,' she said nervously. 'I promise that I wasn't sneaking on you or anything similar.'

'It’s alright. I don’t mind,' he said. 'Did you want to see Mr. Lee?'

'Not really, now that I know who the song. In fact, I’ll leave now. Have a nice weekend, Jongin.'

And with that, she fled from the room. A soft chuckle released from Jongin’s throat as he locked the room and left.

--------

'Mum, I’m going out. I won’t be back until late.'

Kyungsoo’s mother trudged down the corridor, eyes shone with a mixture of mischief and mild interest. 'Are you going out on a date with your boyfriend?'

Kyungsoo made a face. 'No, I am not and for the last time, Yixing is not my boyfriend.'

Her mother laughed at the reply.

'So when will I get a son-in-law and finally get to kick you out of the house permanently?'

'Never, mum. You are stuck with me forever.' She poked her tongue playfully before leaving the house.

Glancing at her watch, she sped up a little, hoping that Yixing hasn’t arrived yet or else she would get an earful for her unpunctuality. She sighed in relief when she didn’t spot her best friend. She chose a table next to the door and sat down, ordering for an avocado smoothie before checking her phone.

Yixing arrived at the table with laborious breath and took a seat opposite to her. 'Sorry, I’m late.'

'Tsk, tsk. Miss Yixing is late, I should give you a lecture,' she joked.

'Blame it on my boyfriend, he refuses to wake up,' Yixing said, twirling her chestnut-coloured curls.

Kyungsoo quirked an eyebrow at her best friend. 'Boyfriend? When was this? Spill everything.'

She giggled, two dimples adorned on her cheeks as she showed Kyungsoo a photo of her boyfriend, 'Two weeks. I met him at an underground dance battle a few months ago though.'

'He seems a little aggressive,' Kyungsoo commented.

'It’s just his face. Kris is actually crazy and nice and a disgusting cheeseball too.'

'Well, then he’s perfect for you. Congratulation.'

While Yixing continued rambling about her new boyfriend, Kyungsoo couldn’t help but feeling a little jealous at her friend’s updated status. She hadn’t dated anyone since grade ten. And her first dating experience wasn’t with someone she liked. She had only dated him to have a taste of dating and although she actually began to form some genuine affection at the end of their relationship, it quickly turned to disgust when she found out that the younger kid was a cheating bastard. So technically, Kyungsoo never had an authentic relationship. The thought made her felt quite dejected.

'So…Kyungsoo. Any changes to your status?'

Kyungsoo frowned at the question. Had she been thinking aloud?

'Nah, my status still remains as married-to-Yixing-forever,' she replied, trying to seem nonchalant.

'Sorry babe, I’ve decided to divorce you. So go and find another partner.'

They laughed loudly at the old joke before Yixing asked her in an earnest voice.

'How about I set you up with a decent guy?'

Kyungsoo waved dismissively. 'No, thanks. You know how I feel about blind dates. I’m not that desperate yet.'

'You haven’t had a boyfriend since grade ten and I don’t think you will soon unless you do something about it.'

'I’ll meet my Mr. Right soon,' she lied weakly.

'Yeah right, he’ll come flying into your arm,' Yixing scoffed. 'That isn’t going to happen and you know it. It would not hurt if you take the initiative to go and look for him, you know?'

Kyungsoo chewed her straw indignantly. 'I’ll do that but I won’t agree to your match-making.'

Yixing frowned, Kyungsoo was stubborn and she knew that her passive friend would never go and look for a man either despite what she had just said. As her best friend, Yixing knew how desperate Kyungsoo was and her yearning to be in a relationship. And so, Yixing was determined to help her friend. She looked at her friend contemplatively and smiled when a plan came to her mind.

She began casually, 'Putting this matter aside, I would like to invite you to Kris’ gig tonight.'

'Tonight? What’s with the sudden invitation? I need to ask my mum.' Kyungsoo eyed her friend suspiciously.

Kyungsoo’s strict mother was definitely a problem, Yixing groaned inwardly.

'Then call her and ask for permission.'

'I don’t think that she's gonna let me, especially knowing that I have work early tomorrow.'

'But Kyungsoo, I haven’t seen you in ages because of your work and I really want to introduce my best friend to my boyfriend.'

‘Can’t it wait for another time?'

Yixing pouted, 'Please Kyungsoo. I’ll take you home before twelve.'

Kyungsoo pursed her lips, weighing Yixing and sleep on the same scale before giving in to Yixing’s deadly pout, waving goodbye to her precious sleeping hours. Yixing knew that she had won when Kyungsoo reluctantly dialled her mother’s number.

'Yeah…Please, she promised to drive me home… I know, I’m not going taking the train home…I’ll be home by twelve. Okay. See you, mum.'

Putting away her phone, Kyungsoo turned to Yixing. 'You better drive me home.'

'Promise.' Yixing replied with a cheeky grin. 'But first, we are heading to my house.'

(tbc)

 

 

 

 

 

So... first chapter. Tell me what you think about it. And yeah, feel free to point out any grammatical errors. Although I had proof-read it at least five times, I think there are still mistakes lying around somewhere.