15

Forbidden Zone

Sorry and thank you so much for patiently waiting. This chapter was finished a few weeks ago, but I had to go back and forth to edit it (the previous chap has too many errors, obviously a few times of editing isn't enough). I'm 97% happy with this chapter and I hope that you would enjoy it too.

If you have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer since the comment box has finally worked for me. Yay!

And lastly, please drop a comment on your way out. ^^

 

 

 

Jongin turned around and stared at Kyungsoo in utter disbelief. Under his stare, Kyungsoo found her face becoming hotter by the seconds.

‘The couch is too small. You wouldn’t be able to sleep well. So do you-you want to sleep…?’ the rest of her question trailed into a string of inaudible murmur as she kept her gaze at the blanket.

While they had slept on a bed together before, it was different because their clothes were definitely not as risky as they were now. Under the bath robe, Kyungsoo was wearing nothing else except her underwear, her bra left hanging in the bathroom to dry.

‘Are you going to be alright with that?’ he asked, still astonished by her suggestion. She looked up at him, hesitant, but eventually nodded to affirm before lowering her head once again. He strode over to the bed with his pillow. ‘Are you sure?’

Without meeting his eyes, she nodded more firmly this time as she shifted to the side, providing room for him to slip in. Once he had settled in, she lay rigid on her side so that her back was facing him. Sleepiness disappeared and Kyungsoo wondered if she would be able to get any sleep tonight or would she be staring into the dark until sunrise.

‘Soo?’ Jongin gently called, breaking the silence.

Her body jolted involuntarily. ‘Yeah?’

‘Thank you for celebrating my graduation with me and, sorry for the bad date.’

‘I had fun. Thank you for deciding to celebrate with me,’ she said.

Silence seemed to settle in once again and Kyungsoo found it much less suffocating than a few minutes before. Then, the short-lived silence was broken by Jongin once again.

‘Soo, I know you don’t want to hear it, but I’m going to say it anyway. You don’t have to reply or even say anything,’ he took a pause. His hand searched for hers under the blanket. ‘I love you.’

Her body tensed at his words. After a few moment of silence, she whispered.

‘I love you, too.’

It was hasty, shaky and almost inaudible. But Jongin managed to catch it. A shuffling sound of the blanket could be heard and before Kyungsoo could react, she found herself being her back with Jongin hovering over her, his face dangerously close to hers. She inhaled a sharp breath, unintentionally taking in his warm and minty scent emitted from his mouth. In the dark, she could still see the surprise on his face.

‘Did you just say that you love me?’ he questioned.

She nodded slowly, and at that instant, Jongin closed the distance between their lips, placing his lips onto hers, bringing his hands up to cup her face. Kyungsoo’s hands were hanging awkwardly in the air for some time before they tentatively wrapped around his neck, pulling him closer. The tepid temperature of the room seemed to sky-rocket within the time frame of a few minutes. Kyungsoo felt her senses slowly leaving her. Never before had Jongin kissed her with this much passion and intensity. She was lost in the fevering moment.

She jerked in alarm with her sense and rationality all rushing back at the same time when she felt Jongin’s lips trailing down from her jaw to her neck, one of his hands massaging her shoulder in a circular motion, unintentionally causing the collar of her bathrobe to slide down a good amount. Panic arose in Kyungsoo. She pushed her hands against his chest, pushing him off her body as she turned her face to the side.

‘Stop, Jongin,’ she gasped weakly when he leaned down to kiss her again.

That was so close, she thought. Fear overwhelmed her when she realised of what could have happened.

‘Sorry. I got too carried away,’ he apologised, watching her catching her breath. His eyes unconsciously lowered down to her chest, and immediately, he let out a mild curse. He fixed up her robe quickly and tried to maintain his gaze on her face.

‘I think it’d be better if I sleep on the couch.’ He climbed off the bed, gathering his blankets and pillow when he felt her hand tugging at his sleeve. Confused, he looked at her, but her face was still turned to the other side.

She muttered, ‘Stay.’

‘Are you going to be alright if I stay?’ he asked. ‘I don’t want to make you uncomfortable.’

She turned her head around, gave him a look before she nodded. Jongin stood still, seemingly hesitant. But eventually, he climbed back into the bed and lay down beside her, keeping some distance between them.

Kyungsoo watched him, and as Jongin looked into her eyes, she could see a smile bloomed onto his face. Her lips mirrored the motion.

‘Good night, Soo,’ he said in a low and gentle tone.

‘’Night, Jongin,’ she replied. A smile danced on her lips as she shifted toward him, snuggled against his body and closed her eyes.

 

Kyungsoo woke up with her face scrunched up in annoyance at the sun ray that was streaming over her eye lids. She squeezed her eyes hard then opened slightly for a few seconds before shutting closed again as she tried to grow accustomed to the brightness. Once she could open her eyes properly, her lips curled into a big smile when she saw Jongin’s sleeping face.

She lay in his embrace and studied his features. She wondered if this handsome man was a gift from God to her, or the devil’s game. Either one, it was too late for her to do anything about it, and she had given up the thought anyway.

Uneasiness slowly settled in the pit of her stomach when she remembered about what happened last night. It was so close, so tempting and so frightening –almost like committing a sin.

Glancing at the clock on the wall, it was already nine. Kyungsoo tapped Jongin lightly to wake him up. Being a heavy sleeper that he was, it took her several attempts before Jongin cracked an eye open, immediately offering a somewhat disturbing smile as he yawned.

‘Good morning, Soo.’ He leaned closer to peck her but she pushed his face away.

‘Ew, I don’t want our morning breaths to mingle.’ He pouted, but she ignored him as she got out of bed and walked to the bathroom. He joined her shortly after, and once they were done brushing their teeth, he grinned at her and breathed into her face. ‘Do I get a kiss now?’

She chuckled at his childishness and leaned in to peck his lips.

------

‘Who did you stay out with?’ Yixing questioned her for the sixth time as she followed Kyungsoo around her house.

‘I told you, I was staying at a female friend’s house.’ Kyungsoo replied exasperatedly.

‘I don’t believe you. If you had stayed at a female friend’s house, then you wouldn’t ask me to lie for you,’ she said. ‘Spill it. Who was it?’

Sometimes, Kyungsoo really pondered if Yixing was her second mother. They were so alike, especially with their ability to get on Kyungsoo’s nerve. At the moment, Kyungsoo had to try hard to suppress her urge to yell at her best friend.

‘Was it Taekwoon?’ Kyungsoo felt veins tensing up underneath her temples at the question.

‘What the hell, Xing? We’re not even going out,’ she raised her voice. But it only amused Yixing instead of stopping her. She suggested mischievously, ‘Not yet, you mean.’

Kyungsoo let out a frustrated groan, trying to come up with a sarcastic retort when her phone rang. It was Hakyeon. Kyungsoo hissed I will kill you later to Yixing promptly before taking the call.

‘Kyungsoo, can I meet you sometimes today?’ Hakyeon asked, then she added thoughtfully. 'That is if you are not busy.'

This was her opportunity to escape Yixing’s persistent interrogation. ‘Sure, I’ll see you at the same café in half an hour,’ Kyungsoo replied. ‘See you soon.’

‘I’m going to see someone now. Have fun cleaning up the dishes,' she lilted, grabbing her bag and bolt out of her friend’s house.

When Kyungsoo entered the café, Hakyeon was already sitting at a table, stirring her glass of smoothie absentmindedly, her face seemed gloomier than the last time they met. Approaching her, Kyungsoo noted that the other woman had visibly lost some weight as well.

‘Hey,’ Hakyeon greeted cheerfully upon seeing Kyungsoo, but the smile did not reach up to her eyes like last time.

Kyungsoo sat down opposite to her, offering a small smile. ‘Did something happen?’

Hakyeon emitted a deep breath. ‘It’s Taekwoon. He hates me.’

‘Hate you?’ That was rather abrupt, Kyungsoo thought. ‘What makes you think that?’  

‘We met and talked yesterday. He told me that he hopes I won’t appear in front of him anymore.’

‘Did he exactly say that?’

Hakyeon twitched slightly. ‘Not exactly, but it was something along that line.’

‘What were his exact words?’

‘He said “It would be best if we don’t see each other for a while”.’ Hakyeon let out a sob. Kyungsoo frowned, she thought that Hakyeon was being rather dramatic.

‘You’ve misinterpreted what Taekwoon said.' Kyungsoo took a pause, mulling oever her choice of words. 'It seems to me that he just wants some space – a break.’

‘I’m not misinterpreting. Do you know how many break ups I’ve seen after someone says “I want some space” in movies and books?’ she cried.

Books and movies, Kyungsoo scoffed inwardly. ‘I’ve talked to Taekwoon. He told me that only wants some space for a while. Not breaking up with you.’

‘Are you being honest or are you just saying that to make me feel better?’ Hakyeon looked at her sceptically.

‘It’s up to you whether you choose to believe or not believe me.’ Kyungsoo shrugged. ‘Look, he’s probably only trying to figure out whether he wants to be with you or not. He hasn’t made any final decision yet.’

‘That doesn’t make me feel any better.’

‘Making you feel better isn’t my aim.’ Kyungsoo said casually. Then she asked, ‘Have you told him that you’re pregnant yet?’

Shaking her head, Hakyeon pursed her lips. ‘There is another reason that I want to see you today. Can you please come with me to my ultrasound appointment?’ Before Kyungsoo could reply, Hakyeon added in hastily. ‘I’m not familiar with the hospitals here. It would be really reassuring for me to have someone to come along. At least for the first appointment.’

Kyungsoo gave the request a thought then agreed to it. ‘When is it?’

‘This Tuesday. One in the afternoon.’

‘Alright, I’ll see you here at twelve on Tuesday.’

----

As the obstetrician spread the gel onto Hakyeon’s stomach, Kyungsoo glanced around the room curiously. A few minutes later, a little peanut-like dark shape appeared on the small screen, eliciting exciting squeals from Hakyeon and an amazed expression from Kyungsoo.

‘My baby is so tiny.’ Hakyeon exclaimed.

The obstetrician smiled. ‘You’re still in the second month of your first trimester. There aren’t many developments at this stage.’

After getting over her amazement Kyungsoo turned to look at Hakyeon. Despite the fact that they could barely make out anything from the foetus at this stage, the pregnant woman seemed to be so happy and thrilled; her gaze remained fixated on the screen. Kyungsoo couldn’t completely understand Hakyeon’s excitement. Perhaps she would be able to when she’s pregnant with Jongin’s child.

She froze briefly at that thought before shaking her head repeatedly. The last thing she needed was fantasising a seemingly unrealistic future. Only when Hakyeon gave a poke at her thigh did Kyungsoo realised that she was lost in her little own world. Hakyeon was no longer lying down. Glancing up, Kyungsoo found that the obstetrician had left the room.

‘Is there something bothering you?’ Hakyeon asked, her eyebrows knitted together.

Kyungsoo shook her head. ‘I’m fine. I-I was just thinking about something.’ She gave a half-hearted smile. ‘Where did the obstetrician go?’

‘She went to print out a picture of my baby.’ As soon as Hakyeon finished saying that, the obstetrician returned with a photograph in her hand. Hakyeon took it gratefully before they left the hospital.

‘Hakyeon, can I ask you something?’

‘Depends on the question, I might not answer. But shoot it anyway.’ Hakyeon sat down on the bench in front of the bus stop, swinging her legs from side to side.

‘How did you feel when you found out that you were pregnant?’

‘Shocked. Not necessarily in a bad way, but yeah, I was pretty shocked. But most of all, I felt really happy.’

‘Happy? Were you planning to have a baby with Taekwoon at that time?’

‘No, I didn’t. It happened because of our carelessness, but I don’t see it as a bad mistake. I’ve always wanted to have children, and while this might not be the good time to have a kid, I still feel happy.’ Hakyeon caressed her stomach fondly. Then with a thoughtful look, she turned to Kyungsoo. ‘Haven’t you thought about having kids or starting a family with your boyfriend before?’

Kyungsoo dead froze at the mention of “your boyfriend”. A pregnant pause fell between them. There is no way that Hakyeon would know about Jongin and her, Kyungsoo reasoned to herself. She had no recollection of mentioning anything that would give away her secret.

Kyungsoo faked a casual laugh. ‘I don’t even have a boyfriend at the moment.’

Hakyeon raised an amused eyebrow at her answer, causing Kyungsoo to grow more anxious. Under her gaze, Kyungsoo felt sweat began to form around her temples.

‘Will you tell Taekwoon about it soon?’ She asked in attempt to subtly change the subject.

Fortunately, it was a successful attempt as Hakyeon’s eyebrow dropped, a sigh emitted from . ‘I was going to tell him on that day when we met, thinking that he was going to tell me what I want to hear. But he didn’t.’

‘So what if…’ Kyungsoo paused, taking a second to hesitate. ‘…if he decides to end things with you?’

‘Then I will never tell him.’

Kyungsoo was taken back by Hakyeon’s curt response. ‘Why? Isn’t that unfair to both him and your baby?’

‘I’m not doing it out of spite. He doesn’t want to be with me. Telling him about the baby will make him feel obliged to be with me, and I don’t want that. I don’t want him to stay with me out of responsibility,’ she explained. ‘And yes, it is unfair to the baby, but I will try my best to make up for Taekwoon’s role.’

Kyungsoo wanted to tell her that regardless of Taekwoon’s feeling for her, he deserved the right to know, but she didn’t. Instead, she kept her opinion to herself. As though Hakyeon could see right through Kyungsoo, she gave a slight smile. ‘I know you’re probably thinking that I’m being unfair to him. And I’m not going to deny it; I am.’

‘Hakyeon…’

Smiling wider now, Hakyeon said, ‘It’s okay to judge. I would, too, if I were you.’

Then she paused and took Kyungsoo’s hands. ‘I’m sorry for making you uncomfortable. But Kyungsoo, thank you for coming along today. It means a lot to me.’

‘Actually, thank you for inviting me. I learnt a lot today,’ Kyungsoo said. ‘Ah, my bus is here. I’m going first. See you, Hakyeon.’

-----

In celebration of the youngest trio finishing their HSC, Kris decided to hold a party at his house for them. Luhan had protested at first, complaining about the unexciting proposed venue. Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Jongdae, too, had joined in. Being attacked by the jointed force, Kris reluctantly changed the venue to a club.

Upon finding out that Kris had got them a private room in the club Baekhyun and Luhan was about to begin another round of protest but promptly shut their mouth when Kris shot them a murderous glare. After a few bottles of beer, the atmosphere became noticeably more fun with Baekhyun and Chen dancing to different girl group songs. Sometime into the night, when everyone was reasonably tipsy, Kyungsoo found Jongin sitting right next to her instead of earlier position next to Sehun.

Luhan suggested to play spin the bottle. Minseok was the unlucky one with the bottle stopping at him four consecutive times, his worst dare being eating a spoonful of wasabi. Then they switched game, playing flick the beer cap game instead. This time, Kyungsoo and Kris took turn of being the unlucky one. After her third glass, Kyungsoo excused herself and went to the bathroom. She felt her head buzzing and strangely light as she slightly stumbled on her way in the corridor.

Instead of returning to the room, she headed to the balcony behind the room. She purposely leaned against the cold marble, wanting to dissipate some heat from her skin. Looking up at the dark sky, inhaling in the chilly night air, she found a sense of peacefulness slowly taking over her body.

Then she felt a pair of arm s around waist, a familiar warm body pressed against her back. Kyungsoo didn’t need to turn around to see who the person was.

‘What are you doing out here? I was getting worried,’ he mumbled in her ear.

Normally, Kyungsoo would have been freaked out in fear of being caught, but tonight, with the alcohol had flushed away that fear. She leaned against Jongin much to his surprise.

‘It was a little stuffy in there,’ she explained. ‘And I think I had too many shots ‘cause my head is buzzing. Are they still playing?’

‘Yeah, Sehun’s taken over your ‘loser’ place,’ he teased. Kyungsoo tried to elbow him in retaliation, but Jongin managed to dodge it. He laughed and spun her around so that they were facing each other now.

Kyungsoo looked up into his eyes. Under the moonlight, and perhaps the effect of alcohol, Kyungsoo found her boyfriend looking unusually handsome at that moment, and she felt the urge to kiss him. The smirk (she secretly both loved and hated) that was playing on his lips as though he could read her thoughts did not help. So, Kyungsoo pulled him down by the neck and tip-toed a little to wipe that smirk away.

Instead of disappearing, his smirk only grew wider as he whispered playfully to her. ‘Did I tell you how much I love a drunken Kyungsoo?’

‘Shut – ’ Before she could finish the rest of her sentence, he captured her lips again. He placed his hand against the small of her back, pulling her closer.

‘What are you two doing?’

(tbc.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

kekekekekekeke