12

Forbidden Zone

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

While checking the chapter, I realised that I made a very silly mistake. I had accidently posted chapter 12 instead of chapter 11 when I updated weeks ago. I've changed chapter 11 to the correct one. So please go back to read chapter 11. This chapter you guys are in right now is not the update, THE PREVIOUS ONE IS THE NEW UPDATE. 

Things will make more sense to this chapter if you read chapter 11.

Sorry.

__________________________________________________________________________________

‘Get out of the kitchen, you pigs.’              

The two culprits responsible for Yixing’s yelling, Baekhyun and Jongdae, ran out into the garden and gave each other a high-five, certainly proud of their deed. Xiumin shook his head at the childish duo as he prepared the table. Kris, who was reading on the hammock, ignoring everything that was happing around him.

The bell rang loudly, and a few seconds later, Yixing emerged from the kitchen, almost running to the front door. She returned to the garden with Taekwoon trailing behind.

‘Hi, you must be Taekwoon. I’m Baekhyun and this giant next to me here is Chanyeol.’ Both of them took turn to shake hand with the guest.

As Taekwoon went around and got introduced to the rest of the team who were present, Kyungsoo walked out of the kitchen, carrying a plate of seasoned ribs and sausages on her hand. She gave him a welcoming smile.

‘Give her a hand,’ Yixing told Taekwoon. Without a response, he moved toward the barbarque where Kyungsoo was preparing the coal. His presence startled her. The awkwardness that befallen upon them gradually subsided after a while, and they work rather quite effectively in the silence. By the time they were done with the sausages, the student trio arrived with beer and soda drinks. Luhan’s contagious cheerful mood brightened the garden as she bounced around.

She stopped next to Kyungsoo and casted a curious look at Taekwoon, her eyes scanning from head to toes before giving Kyungsoo a knowing nudge. Kyungsoo turned to look at her and said to Taekwoon, ‘This is Luhan. She’s in Kris’ dance team too.’

Luhan waved enthusiastically at him but only received a light nod in return. Suddenly, Jongin squeezed in between Luhan and Kyungsoo. He gave Taekwoon a bluntly questioning and warning look then said, ‘I’m Jongin.’

‘Taekwoon,’ the older man curtly responded. Sensing some tension between the two, Kyungsoo told Luhan to take over her duty while she pulled Jongin away, claiming that she needed his help with some matter. The female student gave no complaint as she also sensed the tension.

‘What was that all about?’ Kyungsoo hissed at him as she closed the door of the guest room.

‘What do you mean?’ he asked with feigned innocence.

She scowled, motioning with her thumb, ‘Outside. Why were you looking at Taekwoon like that?’

‘What’s wrong with it?’

‘You don’t give people who you meet for the first time looks like that. Did all of your tact disappear just then?’

‘I’m just making sure that he knows you’re off-limit,’ he replied.

‘What? Did you happen to forget about the secrecy of our relationship?’

‘I didn’t,’ he sighed. ‘I’m sorry. But he was so close to you and I thought he was trying to make a move.’

Taking a step closer to him, she ran her hands up and down his arms soothingly. ‘He and I barely talk. And Jongin, have trust in me.’

He nodded firmly in reply, revelling in her hand motion.

‘We need to leave the room now before they notice,’ Kyungsoo said.

‘I’ll come out later. You go first.’ She gave him a peck on the cheek then left. Walking back out into the garden, she saw that the table had been prepared and most of the food was already there, except for Chanyeol’s kimchi jiggae and Taekwoon’s ribs.

Luhan had abandoned her duty, leaving all the work to Taekwoon while she went to play with Sehun. Feeling sorry, Kyungsoo approached the barbarque area and asked, ‘Do you want some help?’

‘I’m alright,’ he replied gently. But Kyungsoo could see that he was struggling and it was most probable that he would not be able to join the table soon, so she put on the gloves and began helping him anyway.  

‘I need to look productive,’ she told him jokingly. Taekwoon said nothing, but he didn’t stop her either.

They brought the ribs to the table, Kyungsoo sat down between Yixing and Baekhyun, facing Jongin. The table was filled with laughter and conversations. Below the table, Kyungsoo and Jongin’s secret footie game was on, concealed by the table cloth.

After some warming up time, Kris’ team’s attention unanimously moved onto Yixing’s friend.

‘What do you do? I heard that you were a soccer player,’ Chanyeol asked Taekwoon.

‘Used to. I’m a vet now,’ he replied, his voice sounded even softer with Chanyeol’s deep voice for contrast.

Kris inquired, ‘Are you here for a temporary visit or staying?’

‘Staying.’

From the far end of the table, Luhan burst out, ‘Do you have a girlfriend?’

Xiumin groaned at her boldness. Everyone else, except for Sehun and Yixing, looked at him with different levels of anticipation for his response.

‘No.’

Upon hearing Taekwoon’s answer, Jongin’s face darkened.

Yixing declared loudly, ‘I’m going to find you a girlfriend.’

‘No, thanks,’ Taekwoon declined.

‘Oh shush. Having a girlfriend while staying here will be good for you.’

After dinner, Jongin followed Kyungsoo around everywhere, much to her chagrin. It was as though he was trying to tell everyone about their relationship, and it made her anxious.

‘Go away,’ she gritted through her teeth.

‘I don’t want to,’ he replied childishly. Giving him a kick to the side, she turned off the tap, dried her hand and sighed, frustrated.

‘I know what you are trying to do. Stop it. What happened to trusting me?’

‘I trust you, but not Yixing. She doesn’t know about us. I saw her glancing at you earlier when she was talking. She has intentions.’

‘And you think that I will follow through with her intentions?’

Kyungsoo could feel her anger slowly rising. He didn’t trust her and in addition to that, he thought that she was an easy person. Shaking her head, she said, ‘You know what? Don’t even bother answering.’

Pushing past him, she walked back into the living room where everyone was gathering around, chatting. She didn’t feel like stay any longer, so she told Yixing that she needed to return home early, and left. As Kyungsoo approached the bus stop, her steps faltered when she saw Taekwoon. She contemplated on whether to turn around or to continue walking. She chose the latter choice, telling herself that there was nothing for her to be afraid of.

When Taekwoon spotted her, he gave her a small, shy smile.

‘You’re going home, too?’ she asked. She sat down, leaving a seat between her and him. He nodded.

‘Did they freak you out?’ she joked. Once again, he replied by shaking his head.

‘How are you settling back here?’

Giving a casual shrug of his shoulders, Taekwoon replied, ‘It’s okay. I’m still trying to figure out my way around the town.’

‘If you ever need help, just give me or Yixing a call.’

‘Thanks.’

‘So, are you coming to Kris’ gig next week? The one he invited you earlier.’

‘What sort of music do they play?’ he asked.

‘Mm…Rap and dance. But once in a while, they change for one or two songs,’ she said. ‘Oh, that’s my bus. I’m going. See you.’

Once Kyungsoo was on the bus, she fished out her phone and saw two messages from Jongin. Because she was still angry, she didn’t bother checking them. As her anger ebbed away, worry began to kick in. They had been going out for barely two months, yet the number of quarrels they had had exceeded more than two. Kyungsoo questioned whether it was normal to have this many arguments. She’d have to try to ask Yixing subtly.

----

On the following day, as Kyungsoo was packing up her belongings to go home, she heard the door of her classroom being closed and locked. Looking up, she saw Jongin standing at the door, he was wearing a guilty look. Somehow, she wasn’t surprised.

Kyungsoo casted Jongin a weary look, wordless, then simply resuming back to her previous doing. She could hear his footsteps as he made his way to her.

‘I’m sorry.’

Exhaling a long breath, she said, ‘I’m really disappointed with you.’

He lowered his head in shame. She continued, ‘A relationship without mutual trust is something that I don’t want to have.’

His head snapped up at that, in a panicking voice, he asked, ‘Are you going to break up with me?’

She gave him a smack on the head. ‘I wasn’t. Don’t jump to conclusion.’ The tension in his shoulders visibly relaxed at her answer. Kyungsoo softened her voice. ‘You need to learn to trust me.’

‘I’m trying to. But it’s really difficult.’

‘Why is that?’

Hesitantly, he explained, ‘I keep on thinking that you will break up with me, and I’m going to lose you to another man because…’

Kyungsoo gave him a confused look, but Jongin didn’t elaborate any further. It was shocking to hear that he was insecure. Kyungsoo had not expected at all.

‘Why?’ she persisted. ‘I thought that I was the only one who had these insecurities.’

‘The fact that I’m two years younger than you. There are men out there, who are much better than me.’ His voice sounded so small and it saddened Kyungsoo slightly.

She took a step forward and wrapped her arms around him. She finally understood the reasons for his strangely intense jealousy of Taekwoon.

‘I’m most conscious about our when you act childishly like yesterday, so don’t be like that anymore,’ she said gently. ‘And yes, there are men who are better than you. But so what? They’re not you – not the Kim Jongin that I want to date. I like you for who you are and what I feel when I’m with you. I’m pretty sure there is no other man that can do that.’

‘You’re too good for me,’ Jongin mumbled.

‘Pfft, there is no such thing. Don’t say stupid things like that.’ She smacked his head again. He let out a laugh and asked, ‘Does this mean I’m forgiven?’

‘Yeah, idiot,’ she replied. ‘Just promise you would not act like that again.’

‘Promise,’ he said gravely. ‘Hey Soo.’

She hummed. ‘Mm?’

‘I never knew you can be such a sap.’

Pushing him away playfully, she scowled, ‘Shut up. Go get your bike and wait for me.’

‘Okay. I’ll go and wait for you at the usual place. Be quick.’

Half an hour later, they arrived at Jongin’s apartment, laughing loudly as they made their way upstairs. They sat on his couch with Kyungsoo nestling in between his legs and a cone of ice cream in her hand.

‘Your Biology mark is slipping again. Did you not revise for the half yearly exams?’ she reprimanded while feeding him a bite of her cone.

Tilting his head to bite, he asked, ‘How bad is it? I did study for it. Just not as much as I should have.’

Kyungsoo shook her head, disapproved. ‘You passed. But merely with fifty nine. Study harder next time.’

‘Are you going to perform at the gig next week?’

He hummed in reply as he twirled her hairs around his finger.

‘I don’t think I would be able to make it,’ she said. ‘The junior’s reports are due by next Thursday so I will need every single spare minutes to do them, considering that I haven’t even started.’

‘You will miss out my, probably, best performance.’

‘I know,’ she droned. ‘You don’t need to remind me.’

He pulled her closer to his chest. ‘It’s okay. I can always dance for you.’

‘But it won’t be the same without the crazy screaming of your fan girls. They make me feel excited,’ she pouted. Her hands placed against his middle. Absentmindly, she poked his toned stomach, finger tracing the lines of his abs. Then she punched it lightly.

‘What was that for?’

‘Just experimenting,’ she replied casually. ‘Your abs is so firm.’

He gave her a judging look.

‘This is what I get for complimenting you?’ she made a face. ‘Rude.’

Pulling her in for a tight hug, he nuzzled his nose against her neck, ignoring her words.

Kyungsoo stayed for a while, cooking dinner for Jongin and forcing him to do some studying, then at around six, he drove her back to her house.

----

The rest of the weekend passed by, uneventful. So did the first few days of the following week with Jongin practising more diligently than he ever had, and Kyungsoo trying to complete all the reports and assessments.

A few nights of staying up to two, Kyungsoo managed to have everything done by Wednesday afternoon. She decided to skip the weekly afternoon preparation and headed home, and took a short nap. Around five thirty, she woke up to take a shower, then put on the black dress that was Jongin’s favourite and some basic make-up, and left home. Sitting on the train, Kyungsoo kept fidgeting around, a smile adorned on her face as she imagined Jongin’s reaction to her unexpected arrival. The late nights had been exhausting but she thought about Jongin and decided that they were worth it.

When Kyungsoo arrived at the venue there was at least an hour until the performance. She strolled around, peering at different bands as they ran about their own share of area, doing a last minute mock rehearsal, putting on their costumes. She thought of calling Yixing to meet up, but she ended up deciding against it, speculating that her friend was probably at Kris’ area. Fifteen minutes later, she was done with her tour. Looking over to the stage area, she saw that the crowds was rapidly filling up the standing areas and so, she headed to there. Kyungsoo had been to enough events like this one to know that V.I.P tickets don’t really mean much once the performance starts.

Shrilling screaming immediately began the moment the first group jumped onto the stage. Kyungsoo slightly frowned as one of the girl whistled into her ears. No matter how many times she had been to these events, she always felt out of place, somehow. They were too loud and crowded for her liking. The music played there wasn’t really her taste either. If it hadn’t been for her new friends and Jongin, she wouldn’t frequent these places.

Kris’ team was the second last one. Upon their presence, it had the crowd going lunatic again with their whistling and screaming. Unlike the previous times, Kyungsoo felt belonged to this group of crowd for once because she harboured the same excitement as them. For the majority of the performance, her eyes were fixated onto Jongin. His predatory smirk, something that only prevailed while he danced, made Kyungsoo’s inside uncomfortable and tingled.

As his eyes flickered across the front row, Jongin saw her; surprise barely concealed as his eyes widened for a few seconds. Whenever he was close to her side, he would make eye contact with her. Despite having the crowds surrounding her Kyungsoo felt that he was dancing for her.

The girls around Kyungsoo squealed in happiness, obviously mistaking the subject of his gaze.

‘Did you see that? He was looking at me,’ a girl who was a few inches taller than Kyungsoo shouted to her friend.

‘You are so lucky. He’s so hot,’ her friend replied.

He’s mine, Kyungsoo thought proudly as the group finished with applause and wild screams from the crowds.

Twenty minutes later after the last performance, the venue quickly became empty as everyone headed to the gate. Instead of following the crowds, Kyungsoo walked in the opposite direction to where Kris’ area was. From outside, she spotted Jongin talking to a man, whose wrinkle-free, buttoned up shirt and black trousers seemed to be out of place at a music concert like this. She waited outside until they had finished with their conversation.

A big grin stretched across Jongin’s face as Kyungsoo entered with a hearty smile mirroring her boyfriend’s.

‘You said that you weren’t coming,’ he said as he gave her a quick hug.

‘I wanted to surprise you,’ she replied. ‘By the way, your team was great. You guys had the crowds going crazy.’

‘How about me?’ he asked with a mischievous smile.

‘Sorry, I wasn’t focusing on you.’

He pouted, ‘Don’t lie. I saw you looking at me.’

‘Nah, you probably mistook my gaze. I was watching Luhan and Minseok.’

Turning around, he sulked as he walked into the back area. She chuckled at his childishness.

‘I love your dancing the most,’ she muttered as she quickly walked past him, making her way towards Yixing, who was talking to Luhan and someone else.

‘Thought you weren’t coming,’ said Yixing when Kyungsoo approached. As it turned out, the man was Taekwoon. He offered a small smile to Kyungsoo.

‘I finished early,’ she replied to her best friend.

‘How was our performance? You enjoyed it, right?’ Luhan bounced to Kyungsoo. The female student looked even more energetic than usual.

‘I loved it. The choreography seemed really hard. How long did it take you guys to perfect it?’

‘Mm…about six months,’ she replied. ‘We want perfection. All the entertainment companies are here – for recruitment.’

‘Recruitment? What do you mean?’

‘Companies attend events like this to find people with talent to recruit,’ Luhan explained. ‘It seems like Jongin is the lucky one today – already got three offers.’

‘You got one too,’ Yixing said.

Luhan clicked her tongue, ‘They asked the wrong person. I have no intention of being recruited. They should have asked for Sehun instead. He is sulking a bit now.’

‘Why? Don’t you want to be a dancer?’

‘Not really. I mean, I enjoy dancing but I just don’t see myself dancing for a career.’

Kris approached them, announcing that they would go out to eat to celebrate their successful performance. Kyungsoo used the excuse of not wanting to be the third wheel between Yixing and Kris to walk with Luhan. While walking to the parking lot, she noticed Taekwoon. He was walking with Minseok, the two seemed to be engaged in a conversation. Kyungsoo smiled at the sight.

A finger poked her lightly at the waist, breaking her gaze. Turning her head, she found Jongin beside her, head facing forward, pretending that he hadn’t poked her. The corner of her lips curved into a small smirk as she stretched a foot out.

At the sight of her boyfriend tripping she snickered.

‘You’re evil,’ he said.

‘Aw, you just knew?’

He faked a gasp. ‘Who are you? What did you do to my sweet Soo?’

‘She never existed. You’re stuck with me,’ she smirked before steering to the direction where Yixing’s car was.

The street lights were lit up as the sun disappeared. The street became brighter and it was noisier as the group drove into the city. They parked their cars and bikes then headed down to the restaurant at the end of the road.

Four tables were joined up for their group. Ignoring Yixing’s suggestive head shake, Kyungsoo chose to sit two seats away from Taekwoon, she didn’t want to ruin Jongin’s joy today in any possible way. Her boyfriend had worked hard and he deserved a complete celebration. Moreover, Taekwoon seemed to get along with Minseok perfectly well.

‘Hey, stop look at him,’ Jongin muttered to her.

Kyungsoo turned her head and glared at him. He laughed, ‘I’m just kidding. You can look at him all you like. I trust you.’

Her eyes softened when she heard the last phrase. ‘So, I heard you got recruited.’

‘Not “recruited”. Offers for recruitment,’ he corrected.

‘I’m glad for you. Are you going to accept any of them?’

He chewed his lips nervously, ‘To be honest, I’m not sure.’

‘Why?’ She was surprised by his answer. ‘I thought that you want to become a professional dancer.’

He quickly replied, ‘I do. I still do.’

‘But?’

‘My dad. I still don’t know how to tell him about me wanting to become a dancer instead of a lawyer or doctor.’

How could she forget the problem that was his dad?

‘Can’t you accept it then defer the training for later?’ she asked. ‘It’s not like you often get offers like this.’

‘I don’t know about the deferment.’

‘Then ask them. Tomorrow, okay? You have to called them and ask tomorrow.’

Jongin made a face. ‘Why tomorrow? They gave me a week to consider the offer.’

‘Just ask tomorrow. The sooner you have the information, the longer you have to think. Do it, please Jongin.’

‘Alright, alright, mum. I will call them tomorrow.’

She patted his head. ‘Good boy. You can have my piece of fish for reward.’

‘No thanks. You should eat.’

‘I don’t really like fish. Have it.’

‘This is not a reward. You’re just giving it to me because you don’t like it.’

Kyungsoo shrugged nonchalantly and transferred the fish onto his plate. Jongin protested but ate it anyway. Luhan leaned closer to her and teased. ‘You two are so disgustingly cute sharing your food. I’m jealous.’

Kyungsoo blushed and got alarmed at hearing that, but she tried to conceal her embarrassment at being caught in action. She hoped no one else had witnessed. Without casting her a look, Kyungsoo replied while cutting her fish, ‘And if you continue, I will poke you with my fork.’

Immediately, the student backed away with a pout. ‘You are not cute at all. You’re a mean bully.’

The rest of the dinner passed uneventfully. Once they had paid, Kris, Minseok, Sehun and Kai went to get their vehicles, while the rest of the group stood gathered outside in front of the restaurant along with other groups of customers, chatting and waiting for the drivers to come out from the constricted parking lot.

Kyungsoo ended up joining the conversation between Taekwoon and Minseok about Taekwoon in general. Suddenly, a kid ran past in front of Kyungsoo, causing her to dangerously stagger down the pavement as she failed to move to the side fast enough.

‘Kyungsoo!’ She heard Jongin screaming her name, but she could tell he was too far away.

She braced herself for the violent impact but Taekwoon’s arm reached out and pulled her in by the waist toward him.

‘Are you okay?’ he asked.

Kyungsoo nodded while breathing heavily out of relief.

‘Taekwoon! How dare you?’

An unfamiliar female voice caused both Taekwoon and Kyungsoo, and other people to swing their heads around.