33 ~ "Happiness"

Why, You?

Narrator

It was that time of day where the hallways were busier than ever. People were running up and down, left and right, trying to get things done for the day, including SooMi.

Great, great, great. Now I'm going to get yelled at.

She lifted her arm so that her wristwatch was in view. The hands of the clock were ticking away with each passing second as she scrambled her way past each person that was blocking her way. With the elevator doors in view and the sound of its bell, she sped through the closing doors barely making it through. Knowing that she made it, she was able to relax, one hand on her chest regaining her breath while the other was intertwined with Jay's.

"Mind telling me why we're rushing?" he lifted an eyebrow at her. "This is a hospital, babe. Enough people are injured and the way you were racing through the halls, I'm pretty sure someone got hurt." he joked as he recalled her pulling him along for the ride through the hospital.

The elevator made its ding sound as it alerted them of their location. They both walked hand in hand as she led them to where they were supposed to be.

"Mianhae, it's just that we were running late and if I don't make it in time, I'll get yelled at for being–"

"LATE!" SooMi winced hearing the voice that she feared would be screaming at her. "You're late!"

Jay looked around for the source of the voice and furrowed his eyebrows when he failed to locate it. Just then, a small little girl appeared from the doorframe ahead of them with arms crossed.

How cute.

He thought to himself how adorable this girl was especially with the way she was pouting. It reminded him of SooMi and he chuckled as he thought about it.

"Unnie you're late! I haven't seen you in forever and when I do, you're late! Now we have less time together..." the little girl whined.

"Jimi-ah jeongmal mianhaeyo, I know I've been really busy lately and you were looking forward to today. I was late, it's my fault but look," SooMi apologized and smiled knowing that she will soon be forgiven. She reached for the box being held by Jay. Opening it, she revealed the surprise.

"Wahhh, cake pops!" Jimi's face instantly lit up as she saw the goodies that her unnie had brought her. Grabbing her by the hand, Jimi led SooMi into her hospital room and she set the cake pops onto the table.

Excitement was written all over her face as she overlooked each one.

"Unnie look! Cookie monster! Snowman!" she beamed, lifting up the different designs.

She really loves sweets.

SooMi remembered last time she brought Jimi cakes and within minutes she had gobbled them all up. She was happy that Jimi was smiling over these little things and didn't regret getting them specially made with Jimi's favorite Sesame Street character along with a little something for the winter time.

She was brought back to reality when a little cookie monster appeared in front of her. There stood Jimi, with one already plopped into as she held up one to offer to her unnie. SooMi smiled and gladly took it, thanking Jimi for her offer. Then she noticed the little girl sneaking glances at the young fellow beside her while she held on to another pop. Giggling, SooMi whispered into the younger one's ear and soon the shy frown was replaced with a small smile.

Gently, Jimi walked over to the man and slowly offered him one of her treats.

"Juhgiyo, oppa would you like one?" she said, barely above a whisper.

Jay was surprised at the litte girl's action, but just like SooMi, he happily accepted. 

"Thank you, Princess." Jay smiled. SooMi noticed the tint of pink of Jimi's cheeks and laughed.

Looks like I might have some competition.

Then she felt a tug on her shirt and bent down to Jimi's level.

"Ne, Jimi-ah?"

"Unnie, is he your boyfriend?" she asked, remembering that the last boy SooMi had brought was not her boyfriend.

SooMi smiled at Jay before replying, "Yes, he is." Jimi returned the smile and held a thumbs up.

"Good, I approve!" 

Her laughter could not be contained as she realized that she just got approval from her little friend. Jay soon approached the two and struck up a conversation with Jimi.

"I don't think we've met, Princess." he said to Jimi while lifting her up onto his lap. "What's your name?"

"Park Jimi imnida!" Jimi exclaimed.

"Oh, nice to meet you Jimi-ah, Park Jaebeom imnida." Jay introduced himself.

"Wah, we're both Parks!" she was excited hearing that they both shared a name. The two high-fived each other and stuck out their tongues at SooMi since I wasn't a Park. She chuckled at their silliness.

*****

Throughout the month we visited Jimi frequently along with Wooyoung. When the two had met it was quite an interesting day. Jimi and Wooyoung never got along but at the same time, they did. The relationship that the two shared was more like Wooyoung would stoop down to her level and act like a child. They would argue, tease each other, and never agree but it was cute. It was even cuter when they did get along and Wooyoung would act like a good older brother. Knowing that he had a little sister like Jimi that he had to protect and take care of made him feel good about himself, especially since he had always been known as the maknae by Jayson, Taecyeon, Jay, and SooMi. 

The fact that all of SooMi's friends were getting along well with Jimi made her happy, especially since Jimi would usually be alone in the ward all day by herself. Seeing Jimi's smile was something important to her that she would always want to keep. She's become a part of the family, and all of them had become Jimi's family.

SooMi thought about her life now and realized that despite everything that's happened, she's happy. She's the happiest she's ever been. Everything was perfect.

***

A few months later, Jay had to leave for a week to the US for a "family thing." 

Jay was pacing back in forth in the apartment that belonged to him in Seattle. Anxiety was written all over his face as he sped walked back and forth, back and forth. In front of him sitting on the couch were his parents and sitting along side them were the Jangs, SooMi's parents.

"Honey, why don't you calm down and sit, tell us why we're all here." his mother asked concerned as to why he called them all to his apartment. Jay looked at his mom and finally sat across from all of them.

"All right son, now tell us what's wrong." his father demanded.

"No, no there's nothing wrong. It's just..." he told them.

"Then what is it? Why aren't you saying anything?"

Jay looked up at them as he rubbed his sweaty palms along his jeans, trying to calm down. "Well, I'm just nervous that's all."

"Nervous? Nervous about what, sweetie?" Mrs. Jang asked resting her hand on his as a motherly gesture.

"Umm, well where do I start? Let's see...Okay, well SooMi and I have been together for a long time now and we've definitely been through a lot of hardships," he began. All the adults nodded their heads in understanding and waited for him to go on. "Even with all the difficulties she faced, SooMi was able to stand strong and that's one of the things I love about her. I love how she lights up the room when she walks in, I love the way her cheeks puff up when she stuffs her face in my cooking, I love how she's such a noona to Taecyeon and Wooyoung, I love her nagging, I love how supportive she is, I love the way she twiddles her thumbs when she's asking for something, I love how she nibbles on her pinkie when she's embarassed or nervous, I love the way she glows when she's passionate about something, I love how well she gets along with people, I love all her little habits, I love the color she turns when she blushes, I love it when she blows up when something doesn't go the way she wanted, I love it when I'm the one to catch her tears and comfort her when she cries at a drama, I love how she cries tears of happiness everytime she laughs, I love her laugh and the way she holds her stomach and wipes her eyes,  I love how she always shines in anything she wears, I love how just by holding my hand or looking at me she can still make me feel like a teenage boy with his first crush, I love how when she looks into my eyes she still gives me butterflies after all these years." Jay smiled and tears welled up in his eyes thinking about her as he listed just a few of the things he loved about this girl. 

All the parents were smiling as they listened to how much he loved SooMi.

"I really, really, really, really, really love your daughter Mr. and Mrs. Jang. I am in love with her. SooMi and I have so much history, and I want us to have a future. She was my first girlfriend, and I want her to be my last. I want to spend the rest of my life with her. I want us to spend the rest of our lives together. I want us to be like you guys, and my parents, growing together having kids of our own. I want to keep the feeling I get with your daughter, of having butterflies over and over again everyday just by being with her. I vow to love her and take care of her for the rest of our days. I want her to be my first wife, my last wife, my one and only wife with your permission."

He kneeled in front of all four adults getting ready to ask the question he's been dying to ask. Looking at the two Jangs he asked...

"May I have your daughter's hand in marriage?"