From Under The Cork Tree

My Random One Shot Stories

Sitting by the window. I wonder again. "Why is it raining in summer?". I though summer was filled with sunshine. But this few years, it's just keep on pouring and pouring till the first leaves have fallen. Well, I can't really blame nature, I guess I have to blame my own species for destroying it. them for destroying my emerald heaven! I suddenly felt something trickling down my cheeks. Just my tears. Guess I cried again while cursing those bastards. They destroyed everything that I have. They destroyed my heaven. Most important of all, they destroyed the cork tree I loved so much, that every mention of it bring warm droplets down my cheeks. I sometimes wonder when will they stop their conspiracy. Turns out they will never do until everything kills them.

That cork tree is where I met my best friend. She may not be the best looking girl, but for some reason, I felt a connection to her. I still remember how we met. I was sitting under that very cork tree. Reading my book, just too shy to join in. She ran over and tap me on the shoulder. Her very first words was, "Do you wish to play with me?" Without an answer, she pulled me up and pulling me to the playground. All summer long, we would meet under the cork tree and we will play under the sun's guidance. That is how I spend my summer.

Summer after summer, we again, meet under this cork tree. We share everthing there. Sweet, bitter, wonderful, horrible memories. Our friendship grow closer every time we spend together.

One day, she asked me. "Why do you always sit under this tree?". I replied, "Well, if I didn't sit under this tree, we wouldn't have been best friends now. Somehow, I felt like it's god's will.". Sad as it is, seasons can make two hearts closer, but it can also distant it. When I know that they're gonna turn my emerald heaven into a shooping mall, I cried non-stop cause I know everything I have will be gone. True as what I have predicted, it was gone.

The cork tree that I loved was chopped down in the process of building the shopping mall. The place I was destined to meet her was gone. Slowly and slowly the magic disappear. Our friendship too was gone like the cork tree and the magic that make this friendship. Even though the cork tree was not there anymore, I still hang around that place hoping for a miracle to happen. Every day of summer, I would sit outside the mall where the cork tree once was. Closing my eyes, I saw kids running around the park, the warm summer breeze touching my cheek, the feel of the sun's guidance, the beautiful emeralds everywhere. All from this cork tree that i sat under. With my book in hand, I smile as hard as I could. But fantasy can only last this long. Disappointment has already been waiting for me in reality.

How I wish for a return to the days once had. But I know the damage cannot be undone anymore. As always, I break down everytime I walk down this particular memory lane. Such a fragile infant, has already seen what the world can do to destroy her. The damage is more deadly than an overdose. All I wish for, was to sit under this cork tree, to read my book, to see the children run free, to soak up the sun and most important of all, to see my best friend again.