Chapter 3

Without A Word - A.N. JELL - You're Beautiful

I entered the large suite on the upper floor of the hotel where we were staying. The contracts had been signed and tomorrow Tae-Kyung and I would start rewriting and recomposing the song. It was a nice song, but I didn't know why she wanted that song to be the one we made. It wasn't that special to me.

"You were rude to me." I turned around quickly, my mother was looking at me with with a fierce eye, I let out a sigh.

"I didn't do anything wrong." I calmly said.

"You could have been more enthusiast towards me. Do you want people to think my student does not respect her teacher? Do you want to embarrass me like that?" I bit my lip, knowing I would regret it if I spoke any of my thoughts out loud. Yes, I wanted to embarrass her. I wanted her to feel like she made us feel so many times. Left alone, not good enough. Fighting to get the attention we desired the most, ignoring the one we didn't need. That's how my brother and I were raised. That's how we had been living for as long as we remember. But she is still my mother. She is still the woman who gave me the chance to walk this earth, and she had always been providing us with the material things we needed. Other kids were jealous of the toys we had to play with, the clothes we went to school with and the beautiful nannies that came to pick us up and do whatever we wanted with us. And I, I was jealous of them. Of their mothers, giving them a kiss on the cheek, despite the struggles and protest the young boys would throw towards them, I was jealous of the scolding they'd get whenever they did something wrong, but I was most jealous when I heard a mother say: "That is my son. And that is my daughter. I am proud of them." My mother never said those things. She was not proud of us. She didn't want people to know we were her children.

"Yes, mother," I finally said. I went to my room and sank down in the pillows in the bed. I was glad to see Tae-Kyung again. He was the only person in the whole world who knew exactly what was going on. We had no secrets for each other, not at all. It was a relief to not having to live a lie. He was the only person that allowed me to be who I really am. 

 

 

"Are you okay? You seem a little sad." Jeremy gave me a little push to my arm, I shrugged. I kept Jolie's leash tight, every now and then she'd my hand or bump her head to my leg. Because she was just a silly dog like that.

"I'm tired from the trip, that's all." Jeremy nodded, and we spent the next minute in silence.

"How is Go Mi-Nam doing? Is he fitting ANJELL?" I asked to start a new conversation.

"Sometimes he is a little weird," Jeremy admitted. He blushed a little, but I decided not to ask about it. I didn't want to put him in an awkward position.

"You are weird too. But is he nice?"

"Very. And he is so talented, but because he's so clumsy, he causes a lot of trouble for Tae-Kyung Hyung." I smirked.

"And Oppa is probably giving him a very hard time?"

"It has gotten better, but in the beginning he wouldn't even look at Go Mi-Nam." Jolie my hand, I stood still and scratched her ear.

"Did he say anything about the song we are going to do?"

"No, not really. But he doesn't seem that excited. Isn't it great that your teacher wants you to do one of her songs with your brother?" I swallowed my thoughts, he didn't know she was our mother, like didn't know how she treated us. 

"Yes, it's a great opportunity. I really look forward to working together." That was no lie. My brother was one of the most talented people I knew. I would be crazy to refuse working with him. 

"Can I tell you a secret?" Jeremy asked. He stood still, I turned towards him.

"Sure, go ahead."

"I have all your movies. I watch them when I can't sleep. I'm really your fan, Hyo-Rin." He seemed to be a little embarrassed to tell me, I just smiled.

"I have all your cd's. I like listening to your voice. I'm your fan too." His eyes started to shine when I spoke those words, and he took my hand. I know he did it because he grew up in England, and he didn't really mind that much about he Korean social standards. As I grew up in the USA, I didn't mind either.

"Really? Should we give each other autographs then?" I laughed en pushed his shoulder.

"Don't be silly."

"I'm not being silly. You know, since we are each other's fans, maybe we should make a song together too!" I let him chatter along the way, listening to the crazy ideas he had. He was a pleasure to walk with. He was kind, friendly and he was just so funny and sweet! Not to mention handsome. But somewhere, in the back of my mind, I wasn't walking Jolie. I was still in that hotel room, looking at my mother, who looked down on me in disgust. I had embarrassed her.

Again.