Chapter 8

Without A Word - A.N. JELL - You're Beautiful

Go Mi Nam stared at me in terror, and I couldn't help but feel victorious. So there was a secret.

"What secret?" So Mi Nam wanted to play it like that? Okay, fine, I can bluff too.

"I know you are replacing your brother."

"How... I..."

"I heard you talk with Tae Kyung. And I'm not stupid. Did you really think you could hide it from me?" When Mi Nam didn't answer, I realized I was probably a serious threat. Or I at least behaved like one. And scared people don't tend to tell their secrets. I had to fix it.

"I won't tell anyone, don't worry," I said with a soft smile. I took a step towards Mi Nam who seemed to be at the edge of a mental break down. Whether I was right about him being a girl or not, whatever this secret was, it was the weight of the world.

"Y-you won't?"

"Of course not. I have secrets myself. I wouldn't want them to come out either. I just need to know one thing. Why? I really don't get it." Mi Nam seemed to hesitate, but then he/she nodded. 

"I can explain. Oppa and I were raised in an orphanage." Oppa. So she was a girl. "he always wanted to become a singer, so he could find our mother. Right before he had to sign the contract with A.N.JELL, he had surgery, and it went wrong. He is in America now, to get it fixed. Because we are very alike, manager Ma contacted me and asked me to replace my brother. He will be back in two weeks, and than I get to leave again." She seemed so relieved, as if she hated being here. I sat down next to her, on her bed, and now that I knew for sure that she was a girl, it just seemed so obvious. Her jaw was soft, her skin was milky and her eyes were so sweet they could only be a girl's.

"You don't like it here?" She looked up at me.

"I do, but it's so hard pretending to be someone I'm not. And it's so confusing, I feel things I never felt before."

"I can imagine that. How come Tae Kyung Oppa knows?"

"He busted me when I was talking to coordinator Wang. He first wanted to tell everyone about it, but I begged him not to." I knew my brother. Listening to begging was not something he usually did. He must have found a special reason to keep Mi Nam's secret. I bit my lip, we both sat in silence for a while.

"Mi Nam, I have no idea why I'm saying this, but if you ever need something, or when there's a problem, just ask me. I feel like I want to help you. i think it's very brave of you to cover for your brother, even though the chance of getting caught is bigger than the chance of getting away with it. This is pure madness." I mumbled. Mi Nam smiled at me.

"Thank you, Hyo Rin. When I saw how you acted towards Yoo He Yi, I was afraid you were a very mean person, but you are not that bad at all. I'm sorry for misjudging you."

"The way I act towards people is the way I think they deserve. I don't like that fake fairy at all. She is not honest to people, so I won't give her a chance to mess with my life or the people I like." Because that was definitely the kind of person she was. She was a trouble maker, and this time she had set her eye on my brother. But why? And what was it she had to keep him under her thumb? Did she know about Mi Nam? I looked at her quickly, but she didn't seem aware of it. She was deep in thoughts, and suddenly I wanted to hug her. I hesitated, but then I proceeded to put my arm around her shoulder. She looked up, smiled at me.

"Thank you," she said.

"You're welcome. Your secret is safe with me."