Unwell

Picture Book of Memoirs

               Danielle stayed up until dawn working on her picture book while eating what’s left of the cake. She couldn’t wait until tomorrow to have it updated. It was already past three in the morning when she finally slept.

               ♫nan neoui Boy Friend, nan neoui Boy Friend, neon naui Girl Friend, neon naui Girl Friend♪…her cellphone rang and it woke her up. “Hello” she answered, but her voice was hoarse she can barely talk. Her head is also aching and felt like it will explode any minute now. “Hello, Danielle Noona is this you?” “Yes speaking, who’s this?” “It’s Jongmin, we’re outside your apartment. We’ve been ringing your doorbell but there hasn’t been any answer. Are you at home?” “By the way Noona you’re voice doesn’t sound good. Are you okay?” it was Minwoo who asked, they were calling her on speaker mode so all of them can hear Danielle. “Yes I am home, sorry I overslept. Hold on I’ll open the door for you.” she got up and tried to suppress the tormenting headache.

                She let them in. They were looking at her with worry in their eyes. “Are you really okay Noona? You look really pale and tired.” Donghyun said and felt her forehead. She was burning with fever and really hurts. “Why didn’t you tell us you’re sick? We should go to the hospital.” “No, I’m ok Donghyun. I think I have tonsillitis; there is no need to go to the hospital. I’ll just need to rest and drink medicine.”



boyfriend.jpg

 

                Donghyun took over the situation. He assigned the members tasks to help Danielle.  Jongmin and Hyunseong is incharge of buying her medicine. The twins, Youngmin and Kwangmin, and Minwoo will prepare hot water and food for Danielle. He will help them after he has put Danielle to bed. “Donghyun I’m sorry….” Donghyun cut her off “Don’t say no more, you’re in pain just by talking. Explain later when you’ve already recovered, now sleep.” The last thing she saw was Donghyun’s angry face and she drifted into sleep.

                “Donghyun hyung, the hot water is ready. We also got towels to use for the hot compress.” “Ok Youngmin and Kwangmin, you may go to her room now. Avoid waking her up.” “Yes hyung!” the twins said.

                “What could have made her sick? She was totally fine yesterday right?” Youngmin said as he was putting the towel over Danielle’s forehead. “That’s right, I was wondering too. She said she has tonsillitis.” answered Kwangmin. Then they both realized “The cake!” together they exclaimed. They rushed into the kitchen where Donghyun and Minwoo were preparing to cook. “What’s the ruckus about, is she alright?” Minwoo asked. “Yes, she is still sleeping we came to check her refrigerator.” They checked and found no left over cakes at all. They found the box at the trash can though. “Waaaah! She ate all the left over cakes. That was like one-third of the cake. No wonder she has tonsillitis.” they all just shook their heads.

first-aid-kit.gif             

             “We’re back!” Jongmin and Hyunseong said. “Ok, just put the medicine there for the meantime. We will let her drink it after she has eaten.” said Donghyun. “Hyung what am I to do with these onions?” Minwoo asked. “You chop them like this so we can add it to the congee.” Donghyun said while showing Minwoo how to do it. Minwoo tried chopping, “Hyung, I think I’m not doing it right, I’m sorry.” “Hmmh, what will you do without me?" he sighed. "Fine, you do the stirring and I’ll chop the ingredients.”

                “Danielle noona please wake up. We have made congee for you. Please eat this so you can drink your medicine after.” Jongmin said. Kwangmin helped Danielle sit up. “Please give me the food hyung I want to feed Danielle noona.” Youngmin said. “No way, I picked up the food first so I’ll be feeding her myself.” Jongmin said. “Hmp, hyung is so unfair.” Youngmin gave up, pouted his lips with disappointment. He always wanted to feed a sick friend but Jongmin held his ground firmly. Jongmin fed Danielle and even blow the food for her. She took only three spoonful of congee drank her medicine and went back to sleep.

                “Now what are we going to do hyung? Noona is really sick but she doesn’t even want us to bring her to the hospital” Minwoo said. “We have no choice but to wait for her to recover.”Donhyun answered. “I volunteer to watch over her, in case she wakes up and might need something.” Kwangmin raised his hand. “Ok you do that; Youngmin and Minwoo stay here too. We will go back to our apartment, we have a lot of chores waiting at home. We’ll be back later.”

                Danielle gained consciousness around 7pm. She saw the three maknaes sleeping in the sofa with Minwoo in the middle, his head resting on Kwangmins shoulder while Youngmin is laying his head on Minwoo’s lap. It was a picture perfect seen. She forced herself to stand, took a picture of them sleeping even with her head still pounding then went back to sleep.

                Sunday morning Danielle finally woke, her fever already receded although still hurts a little. She went to the kitchen and found her neighbors cooking breakfast. “Good morning, didn’t you guys go home?” Donghyun forcefully turned his head towards Danielle “That’s all you have to say?” “Hyung please calm down.” Hyunseong tried to soothe Donghyun. “No she needs to hear this.” And he turned back his attention to Danielle. “Do you know how worried we were? You didn’t even call us when you know you are sick knowing that you are all alone here. What could’ve had happened if we didn’t check on you? Huh? And why did you eat all that cake anyway when you know you can easily have tonsillitis?” Donghyun didn’t shout at her but his voice was quite firm. And the dongsaengs affirmed every sentence Donghyun said by nodding their heads.

                Danielle didn’t know what to say, “I….I didn’t notice I was already eating all the cake. I was working on something, got hungry and I just kept eating the cake until there was none left. It was delicious.” She said finally with teary eyes. She felt like everyone was ganging up on her, until she finally cried. “Look at what you have done hyung! You made her cry.” Minwoo scolded Donghyun and placed his hand on Danielle’s shoulder to comfort her.

               They didn’t know that it wasn’t exactly why Danielle was crying. She saw their faces and knew they lacked sleep and that was because of her. They were up all night looking after her. She was so touched, no one ever did that for her, not even her own mother and that’s what made her cry, they are actually tears of happiness.