A Walk in Park

Tasting the Rain

“I think we’ve been going to this bench too much,” I teased as we finished laughing over a little joke. My breath came out as water vapor as we were sky-watching in the winter. We had constantly been this to place every other week to watch the night-sky evolve over time, since we got permission from our parents. They were somewhere nearby, talking about other families and such that bored me to death. Yet they were far away enough that I felt grown up for a seven-year old. Henry’s brother and my sister thought themselves too old to be looking at the night sky.

“Yup. It’s our bench,” he replied, patting the bench we were sitting on fondly. “Hey, look, Orion!” He leaned over and pointed. “Isn’t his belt beautiful?”

“It’s like a chain of jewels,” I agreed as I clutched my hands together. Even though I was freezing, I felt light-headed as a bird.

“When I grow up, I want to give my wife something like that,” he said, turning back to the sky.

“You want to give her a chain of stars?”

“Well, no. I want to give her a chain of diamonds like that.” Henry crossed legs. “Would you help me with that?”

“Sure. I promise.” We clasped hands on it.

I found Henry sitting on the bench one way, staring at his hands that were clasped in front of him.

“Hey.” I sat behind him so our backs were touching.

“Hey,” he said back, looking up. “This place hasn’t changed too much, from what I remembered it to be.”

“Yup.” I tilted my head back and sighed. “The sky hasn’t changed either.”

“Did you ever come here when I was gone?”

“Once. It was after the first time you left. But I couldn’t bare just me sitting here by myself, so I never visited as often as we used to.” Why was I spouting all this? Maybe I was starting to forgive him. But should I still hold a grudge. I looked over at him. “Did you ever think of this place?”

Henry looked up. “This was the place that was my oasis. When I was exhausted or frustrated, I could just think of this place and somehow smile. Whenever I composed, I often thought of this place.”

“This is the place where things usually start, eh?” I looked away. “There’s the streets, there’s nature, what more do you really need besides the people and that setting?”

“There’s also the memories.”

We sat in silence as I started wondering which memory he thought of.

“Hey.” He turned ninety degrees and peered into my face. “I was wondering, do you want to go to Niagara Falls?”

“Sure.” I swung over so we were both facing the same direction. “Is there anyone else coming?”

“No. I was going to go there by myself to get some inspiration, but I was hoping you had time to go.” His eyes were half pleading, half lonely.

“I really want to go.”

“Awesome.” He stood up. “Can I pick you up around nine?”

“Sure.” I got up too. “See you around then.”

“Bye.” And we walked our ways. Even though our houses were fairly close, it was closer for him to exit the west way and for me to exist the east way. But as I peeked over my shoulder at him, I wondered if I should have followed him, pretended that things weren’t awkward between us as they were.

But it was too late to turn back now, and we both walked out of the park.

 Hey guys! So here is the sequel to my onehsot! So I was sitting bored, and being hyper, and I got a craving for a really sad romance... So this is what happened! Anyhow, so I'm leaving for a trip for two weeks, and I'm going to be pretty busy, probably, so if I don't update in two weeks, there you go. Anyway, I was going to put song lyrics in the beginning, but you know what, you guys don't need that. You can think of songs up yourself that relate to these chapters. So anyway, I will be busy thinking about the third chapter. Currently, the story looks like it'll be 5-6 chapters long, because if it gets any longer, I'm going to go insane. (Not to mention I'm trying to wrap up Tripping is the Key.) Peace!