After the Long Wait

Tasting the Rain

“Hey Henry,” I answered my phone as I looked in the mirror. Not too casual or fancy. Easy to dance in. Perfect.

“Hey. What’s up?”
”Trying out an outfit for the Spring dance.”

“Another one of your sister’s?”

“Actually no. She helped pick it out though.” Before he could reply, I said “Save it.”

“How did you-never mind. There’s no use asking.”

“So are you going with someone this year?” I asked. It was our common ritual every time there was a dance coming up. He would usually answer, “Yeah, with you, silly.” We had been going with each other since school dances started to exist.

But this time there was a silence before he answered. “Actually, yes.”

“Who?”

“Julia.”

I sat down on bed as I considered this. Julia. Her??

“I was going to tell you later-“ Henry started to say.

“No. It’s okay. Right now was good. Um, I have to go. Talk to you later.” I ended my call, dropped my phone on my bed, and sighed. Why now?

Right when I stepped out of Carnegie Hall, my phone rang. My heart leapt. The caller ID came up as Henry. Could it be him? Was it just someone calling from his old number? He probably didn’t bring the same phone with him to Korea. Then again, was he in Korea?

“Hello?”

“Anlia?”

My heart leaped again. “Is, that you, Henry?”

“It’s me. So, what’s up?”

What’s up? I wanted to yell at him for not calling me for years. For just emailing on holidays, occasionally on my birthday. And now he calls me like we’re still close friends?!

No. I can’t blame him. I was the one who fell in love with him. Why didn’t I ever figure out if he felt the same way? Because I was the one who needed him the most, I was the one who pushed away forcefully.

“Um, nothing?”

“Nothing, huh? Then what about this Carnegie contest that had your name on it?”

“Oh, that? I just finished performing.”

“Well, hey, congratulations. Too bad I couldn’t be there.”

“Right.” No mention about all the performances I had made throughout the year. “So you finally finished promotions in China and Taiwan?”

“Yup. I’m back in Toronto.”

“That’s great!” Silence fell.

“So you’re in New York right now?” Henry spoke up first.

“Yes.”

“When are you getting back?”

“My flight is in an hour.”

“Maybe tomorrow we could get together?”

“Sure.”

“Awesome. I’ll call you later, ok?”

“Great. Bye.” I ended the call and sighed. What was I going to do when I saw him?