Droplets of Purity

Tasting the Rain

I stood under the rain, looking at the sky. Why today? I wanted to lie down on the pavement and have the rain splash on me until I was nothing. Why did I even come? My flute bag grew heavy as I refused to move, wanting to turn into stone.

"Anlia!" I turned. Henry was walking toward me, holding an umbrella. Droplets flew into the air, trying to get out of his path.

"Why are you standing there? Are you blind?" But as he got closer, his teasing expression turned serious. He opened the umbrella he was holding in his other hand, and handed it to me. "Here, take it. So you don't get even more soaked."

"Thanks." I took the umbrella and flipped it up.

"Don't you have a flute audition right now?"

I nodded. Tears started to flow, and I desperately wiped them away. I didn't need anyone's pity right now, especially not Henry's. "I just finished."

He stood in front of me, silent. When I turned to look at him, I saw his eyes filled with empathy, not sympathy.

"I know you're really disappointed in yourself," he said, "but it's not the end of the world. Flute is part of your life, not your whole life. Plus, if you were perfect, what world would this be? You, we, are both still growing and learning."

I smiled. "Thanks Dad."

"No, I'm being serious."  He took a step closer, and held out his hand. I took it. "Promise me," he whispered. "That you never lose in faith in yourself like that again."

"I promise."

I woke up to the sound of the glass being hit a million times. Rain! This hot summer, we had all been wishing for rain. And it finally came.

I dressed quickly, in old clothes since I knew I would be forced to change after I wet outside, and went downstairs. Mom was in the kitchen, eating her breakfast. "Good morning Anlia!"

"Good morning, Mom."

"It's finally raining. What we have been waiting for sooo long." She had a relieved look on her face, probably because she wouldn't have to water her garden, as she had been for weeks. "Are you going outside?"

I was slipping sneakers. "Yup."

"Bring an umbrella, or you'll be sick."

I resisted the temptation to roll my eyes. "Mom, I won't be sick. It's just rain."

"Okay, but when you come back inside, you'll take a shower, okay?"

"Got it, see ya later!" I dashed outside.

I saw my neighbors walking, and waved. They waved back, with big smiles on their face.

I walked to the park. Children laughing as they played tag and tried to dodge raindrplets. Some of the more daring ones decided to splash in puddles. I walked to the bench and spun around. Life couldn't have been more beautiful.

So I thought, until he came.

"There you are!" I turned. He was running up. "I thought I would find you here."

I laughed. "You're all wet!'

"So are you." He kicked at a puddle and water sprayed all over me.

"Hey!" I kicked back and water starting flying in all directions. We laughed as we tried to dodge while kicking at the same time. After awhile, I stopped, still laughing. "Stop!"

"Why?"

"I'm soaked!" Not only were my clothes dripping, but thethere were streaks of mud on my jeans. I looked over at Henry. His hair was sticking up. "Let me fixed your hair," I said in between my giggles, raising my hand and taking a step.

PHWISH! My foot slipped and I found myself falling toward the ground. But just before my hands made contact, I was being lifted by a strong pair of arms.

"You okay?" Henry's brown eyes peered at mine, cautious and worried.

"Yes and no." I got up so he wasn't holding me anymore. "I know I should have said this a long time ago, but will you forgive me?"

He stared. "For what."

I stood up and he followed. "For pushing you away, creating this rift between us that never should have existed." Tears started to fall, their heat contrasting against the cold raindrops that hit my cheeks. "I'm sorry, Henry," I whispered. I'm truly am.

Henry stared at me, and then turned away.

"Henry?" I ventured a step, and put a tentative hand on his shoulder. "If you don't-"

"No." He turned around, taking my hand in his. "It's not your fault. It's mine. I never told you I was going to audition for SM. I never called you after you hung up on me after I told you I was going with someone else to the dance. You had every right to react, but I should have tried to talk to you after you calmed down. But I never did. I was the one who created the rift, therefore I should have mended it-"

"But I didn't try either. I was the reason why the rift was made."

Henry was silent for awhile, and laughed. "We're both blaming ourselves. This is going to go nowhere."

I smiled. "Well I forgive you for doing nothing."

"So do I."

I looked at him as an elevated feeling spread throughout my body. I was free! No more guilt hang on my shoulders, and my heart beat fast. Was I now free to love the guy who had always held my heart?

No. I couldn't go that fast. But I could take the next step.

I stepped forward and hugged him. "Thank you," I whispered in his ear.

His arms went around me. "No, thank you," he whispered back.

And as I looked up at the sky to thank no one for that moment, I could taste the rain.

*

And now you guys finally know what the title meant!

....sorry that sounded too upbeat. But seriously guys I'm like "AHA! Yes! I have been given a sign that this torture will end temporarily!" I hope that's pretty obvious.

ANYWAY I read from an AFF user's blog that she (or he I guess) didn't like flashbacks. Are you guys okay with them? Please comment how you feel about them, or I'm going to continue the way I'm doing it.

To be honest, every time I go through a scene of my life, I'm reminded of another scene, so it seems natural for me to have a flashback. But maybe that's just me. >.<

Well I hope you guys have been doing fine as me. I'm okay (besides that my Chinese totally and I've been reminded about that so many times and that I don't get enough sleep) especially since I found out Sam's Club in China plays Kpop songs. And plays Kpop mvs on their TVs. Yeah. I think I told everyone that though. >.<

Plus, my acne has been noticed a lot (nosy Asian adults...>.< -sigh- just have to get used to it) and I've been told to eat more vegggies and drink boiled water and eat less oily food...I've been told the last one is just a myth, but apparently the point was that my body has too much "fire" or too acidic, and therefore I needed to eat more alkaline foods. If you guys have any input on that, please comment below! Thanks!