By Your Side Once More

Tasting the Rain

I looked down the slide. "Are you sure this is safe?"

"Of course it is! I went down it yesterday." Henry looked at me. "Are you scared?"

I nodded and looked away, wishing that tears didn't fall so easily from my eyes as I wated for him to taunt me.

Instead, I felt my hand being grabbed. "Here, I'll hold your hand halfway," Henry said. "You'll see, it's lots of fun. And I don't want your cooties."

I shot him an annoyed look but his eyes were expectant. "ready? On three, 1, 2, 3!"

And we pushed ourselves down together.

"Wow, I'm definitely not looking forward to that," I said as Henry and I stood on our ship in blue ponchos. we were on the ride Maid of the Mist. As we approached the falls, we passed by people who were walking on stairs near one of the falls. I leaned over the railing to get a better look.

"What about this?" Henry asked, joining me.

"If we're not passing through the falls, it won't be as bad as that."

He turned, grinning. "Well, you'll never know how bad it is until you go, right?"

"I can't believe we're doing this," I replied thirty minutes later, shaking my head as we waited in the kilometer long line.

Henry shifted from foot to foot. "I wonder why they gave us sandals?"

"Maybe because it has decent tread?"

"Yeah. I also don't like standing in wet socks."

I grinned at him when a voice behind us called out, "Excuse me?"

We turned. A teenage girl look at us with a questioning look. "I'm sorry if I'm being rude, but do you know Henry from Super Junior M?"

"You're talking to him," Henry replied, an amused tone in his voice.

Her hands flew up. "Oh my god. May I have a picture with you? I'm sorry I know you're not promoting and all, but-" She blurted out.

"Sure." He leaned over and flashed a peace sign as she aimed her camera.

"Thank you so much!" she gushed, and proceeded to take out her cell phone and text.

I looked at him as he turned back. "Doesn't that get tiring?"

He shrugged. "I think I've gotten used to it," he replied wearily, running fingers through his hair. Why do idols do that? I guess they're in front of a camera all the time so it becomes a habit, but why the guys?

Actually I'm complaining to cover up that I get by that move. But I digress.

"So what did you think of the Maid of Mists ride?" Henry asked, bringing me back to reality.

"It was actually not that bad like a sudden bout of rainpour," I admitted. "I don't think we actually got that close."

"They probably wouldn't have gone closer, since there's limited area around the falls," he mused.

"That's true." The line came to a stop and I sat down to work on a friendship bracelet. I had brought embroidery thread in my bag.

Henry sat down beside me. "How do you make designs like that?"

I blinked. "You mean I've never taught you?"

"No."

"Well, first you make a 4 with both strings, then you take the tail and pull it through the "window" of the 4. That's how you do a knot, and you just keep on doing knots in a pattern," I explained as I did the steps.

"Oh, I see. Why do people like them so much?" Henry said, the grass we sat on.

I shrugged. "They look homemade? Usually people make them for ones they care about, so there's love in these things."

"That makes sense." we both got up as the line moved. "It's like stuff from fans is more special than what we buy."

"Next!" We were herded into the elevator with a tour guide at our heels. "Hello, and welcome to Niagara Falls. These elevators were first built in..." I zoned out as I watched rock levels pass by. My ears popped as I swallowed in apprehension.

When we walked out of the elevator and down a hallway that led to outside, we passed by people who were soaked.

"I'm not sure if this a good idea-" I began.

"Geez, stop worrying about it. It's only water."

"No, I mean that isn't a good idea that I might actually have fun with this. A LOT of fun."

"Oh brother," Henry groaned. I couldn't blame him. Have you ever seen me bouncing off the walls? Trust me, if there were ceilings last time, I would have gone all the way to the moon.

"Dude, SEAGULLS!" we rushed to the railing to examine the flock. Or should we say sea? There were seagulls EVERYWHERE.

"Aww, that one has chicks," I pointed out.

"Hey, what do you call a seagull that lives in the bay?" Henry asked as we continued our walk to the stairs.

"What?"

"A baygull."

"Come on, you're pulling my leg."

"No, serioulsy, it's called a baygull." He smiled. "Hehe. A baygull for breakfast."

"Eww! You're sick!" I shoved him playfully.

"Come on, I know you're thinking how it must taste like chicken," he teased.

"Hey, a rainbow." I pointed to the little strip of colors in the mist. "A rainbow any day, I bet."

"Yup. Ready?" We had reached the platform with the sign, "Hurricane zone."

"Seriously?" I pointed to the non-smoking symbol. "As if anyone wanted to smoke with water pouring over them."

"Crazy people." We climbed up the stairs. People in ponchos screamed as water poured over them.

I stepped back. Henry seemed to sense my uneasiness. "Come on," he said softly, taking my hand.

And we walked up right to the edge, where the railing was. "Where's the wa-" I started to say.

PLOOOSHH!!! I started laughing as the water drummed down on us. Man, that scene would have been perfect for a comedy.

When the water finally ceased, we walked out laughing.

"That was perfect!" Henry said when his laughter finally ceased. "Perfect timing."

"That was awesome!" I put down my hood. "Even though my shorts are wet now, that rocked!"

"Somehow it felt familiar, you know? The feeling of water pounding down..."

We looked at each other, pointing with our fingers. "In the shower with a shower cap on!" We laughed again.

"Were you really that afraid?" He asked as we approached the hall we had entered from.

"Kinda, but there was something that held me down."

"What?"

I wiggled my fingers and smiled. "Come on! I want to catch the next elevator."

...

"Anlia? Wake uuup."

"Huh?" I lifted my head and rubbed my eyes. When did I go to sleep?

"We're at your house." I looked out of the window. Yup. We were.

"Thanks." I grabbed my bag then froze. "Will I see you again?"

Henry smiled. "Do you want to see me again?"

"I think you know the answer as well as I do."

His hand found mine. "Here." His hand slipped away and I found a tiny slip of paper. It had his flight number and information.

I looked up. "You're leaving in two weeks?" He nodded. "Then why are you giving this to me now?"

"I just wanted you to know. Maybe you could meet me at the airport before I leave?"

"Of course." I hugged him impulsively. I pulled away, we both had the same message in our eyes. We were back to where we belonged-by each other's side.

I opened the door and walked up to my porch. As I turned around to wave and watch Henry drive away, I reflected: No matter how long since the last time, or how far away our locations, true friendship will always be able to mend and hold over rifts. I lifted my hand, the one he held, and smiled.

*

FINALLY this chapter is done. I started this on the 22nd and finally have finished on the 27th! (Well technically I skipped a day due to the stupid International Date Line, but that can't be helped.) I hope everyone has been well and not wishing too much that I would update soon... HAHA. Yeah, I know you guys have other fanfics to get to. Anyway, carry on. XD

And let me assure you, I liked writing this a lot. Not because of the actual chapter though. (Darn!) I just started thinking about future chapters. Yeah. I have feeling there's going have to be a sequel to this fanfiction.

Subscribe you want your hand held by Henry! XD Just kidding. I wish there was a like button. Ah well.

And if you're wondering, "WTH is aznawzmao talking about the International Date line?" Long story short: I'm in China, and I have three hours of working to do, so bare with me, k? Not to mention internet is pretty much screwed over here. However, considering I have seen Han Geng in a movie teaser and Super Junior Bonamana merchandise, it's all worth it. (On the latter, however, I still have to verify if it's geniune or not. Dang it! I had such high hopes when I went, Wait, this is China, things are easily pirated. Right. >.<)

ENJOY!!!!