Chapter 9

Twister

Three months passed already. It was well past midday, and Sungmin was sitting behind his desk in Shanghai, drown in his pile of work like usual. In front of him was his team, faces unfamiliar, all working so seriously. He liked his team's effectiveness. He had to admit that their performances were better than his Korean team, yet being far from them, he found that their camaraderie endearing. Sticking together, assisting one another through endless tides of working life, they felt like a family already.

 

"Ms. Chen, did you finished the post-event report on the exhibition I was asking the last time?" he asked his co-worker without even looking up from the data he was reading. The woman he was addressing to was his equivalent in China branch.

 

"I was just finished. Let me print it first. By the way, you may start calling us by name, Mr. Lee. It's about time," she replied with a smile.

 

"The same goes to you to be honest. We're about the same age, aren't we?" Sungmin put down the paper he was holding. This time he held his gaze to the slender young woman of his age in front of him, who was wearing a sheer fuchsia blouse.

 

"I guess so. Why don't we all have a dinner tonight? Just to get closer with our new boss?" she suggested, throwing a glance around to the team, who nodded their heads quickly in approval.

 

Sungmin chuckled, "What boss? I'm no boss. We're a team."

 

"But you are the leader, though. Therefore, boss," one of his subordinates commented. He remembered his name as Alan Leong.

 

"Alright. Let's have a dinner," he agreed without a second thought.

 

"And drink!" Some cheered.

 

"And drink," Sungmin repeated. "But first and foremost, I want all your workload for today to be done in time."

 

"Yes, Sir!" they shouted and saluted in unison.

 

He smiled at them, thus the cold exterior he usually exuded - despite the cute face of his - melted a little. His team member smiled in return, assured that they would get along just fine for the period of time he was there.

 

Alright. He thought to himself. There is nobody to come home to anyway. Not even a pet. So, why don't I have some fun while there is a chance?

 

He let out a deep sigh unknowingly. What is she doing right now? They should've gone home by now. Did she work overtime? Did she order dinner or have a take away? Or did she has dinner with Taeyeon and Fany?

 

His fingers automatically reached for the mouse to read reports send to him from his department in Korea branch. Despite his physical absence, the team needed to report to him nonetheless. His eyes were scanning the inbox for new incoming emails, hoping that the co-worker, Im Boyeon, who act in his position sent him report that Sunny wrote, so he could imagine her serious face while writing the report in detail. Or, even any little update on her wouldn't hurt either. Should there be a mention of her name would be fine for him. But sadly, there were none.

 

A moment later, the one called Ms. Chen, his equivalent, came to his desk to drop the report. Noticing his empty gaze, she asked, "What's the matter? Missing your girlfriend back in Seoul?"

 

He quickly turned his head to her direction. "What? Uh? No. What is it?" He stuttered a little.

 

"Ah... having an argument, aren't you? She won't talk?" assessed her.

 

"It isn't like what you think, Ms. Chen," Sungmin replied.

 

"Angela," she corrected him. "Take it easy. She will soon contact you, I believe. No girl is really get mad when they say they are mad. She just want you to react. Which is good if you do," she added quickly.

 

"Nah. I don't have girlfriend," he dismissed her quickly. "Is this the report?"

 

"Yep."

 

"Thanks. I'll take this with me to read later, and tomorrow we could discuss the next plan."

 

"You want to take work back home?" Angela shook her head. "There's a time for anything, you know. That means, should there be no urgency, nobody should work after 5 and before 9, alright."

 

The woman snatched her report back.

 

"Yah! What are you doing?"

 

"Saving you from dying of overworking," she casually retorted. "I'm giving this back to you tomorrow morning. No need to thank me for this. Just be sure to treat us dinner, that's all"

 

Then she walked back to her desk, hips and slender legs covered in midi pencil skirt swaying. The hem of her sheer fuchsia blouse was flowing as her movement created wind as she passed.

 

He saw her sitting down on her chair, tidying up her cluttered desk. One of the young man followed her with his eyes in no other explanation but affection, and Sungmin caught it. He followed the young subordinate's eyes back to Angela. She was pretty, and  there was no point denying that. Her skin was fair, and her complexion porcelain–like. She was smart and outgoing. All in all, she was one package of fairness.

 

Yet in the corner of his mind, only one certain girl that could keep on nagging him unwittingly, effortlessly.

 

"Ah!" he let out a low grunt which made every heads turned in his direction. He saw their questioning eyes, but could only smile awkwardly, hoping that they wouldn't prod further. Which they didn't, since they turned to work once more.

 

He scrambled to his feet, muttering, "I need to relieve myself," then went out to go to his private place. It wasn't that private to be honest, but who knew that the automotive company built their branch building in similar taste that they even share the same kaleidoscope–like emergency staircase overlooking the beautiful modern city.

 

Reaching the railing in front of the glass wall, he ruffled his hair in frustration. Aish! How can I find someone nicer if I can't forget her? It was clear that she perhaps didn't want you as she didn't come the night you asked her to come. 

 

He recalled the gathering they had in Seulong's dorm two nights prior his leaving to Shanghai. How he waited for her all night, only to finally realize that she would never come. Thinking about it right now, he didn't know who was really at fault. Her cold indifferent attitude, or the fact that he didn't tell her about the his departing so there was no strong reason for her to come. Not that his departure would make her come, though. He didn't hold a strong position in her heart anyway.

 

Why is it hard for me to forget and move on from you, Lee Sunny? he sighed. If Kyuhyun knew, he would tease me again, saying that I have incurable Sunny illness.

 

Some moments later, when his mind had cleared, he came back to his department. His team were ready to go. With cheerful mood they ushered him to quickly tidy up and head to the restaurant the team used to go to.

 

Alright. Let's have fun and forget her for one night. They are a good distraction, but surely my wallet will be emptied.

 

 ***

 

The next day, Sungmin was already behind his desk early in the morning. He checked his inbox as usual, reading reports sent to him from the Korean branch. But even after he read all the reports meticulously, he couldn't find her name written on it.

 

After some emails replied, some approvals signed and scanned and sent, Sungmin fished his smartphone from his jacket which had vibrated a few minutes ago.

 

Sungmin-sshi, have you had your breakfast? If you are here, I treat you the coffee you like. But too bad that you're not here. So, I'll send the picture instead. 

Jimin

 

He shook his head, aware that he had made the wrong impression to her before. He felt guilty, but he typed away the reply anyway.

 

Haha... Thanks for the picture. I had in fact a more delicious thing to digest in the morning. Your reports. How's everyone doing?

 

The reply came swiftly.

 

They're fine. Although a bit irritated since someone was asking too much albeit his absence. Boyeon unnie is about to explode just a minute ago. She read your view on the matter she presented to you by email.

 

Haha... Let her be. She needs a more valid data before she dishes her plan to me. Tell Sunny to assist her. She's good with data collection. Plus Boyeon noona won't intimidate her anyway. She's her favorite.

 

He waited for her reply, but it didn't come as fast as before. Thinking that Jimin perhaps had something to handle, he put his phone and began fiddling idly with his pen.

 

It was almost nine when his team started to appear one by one, greeting him in the process. They were still excited about last night get together that they kept chatting and reminiscing, laughing when they remember someone doing silly thing when drunk.

 

Sungmin had to remind them to start working since ten minutes had passed before excusing himself to see the head manager.

 

It was when he returned that he picked up his phone again, and see that a message came in. He tapped the notification open.

 

Sunny? Should we discuss about her? She had left the company. Her internship period is over.

 

What?! He quickly counted the months backwards. Six months. It was six months already since she started her internship. About time that she left.

 

How could I approach her now I don't have any reason to?! Arrgh! He flipped his telephone, the gadget landed with a thud onto the hard glass desk.

 

Each head turned in his direction, staring at him strangely. Aware of the situation, he simply nodded his head, feeling ashamed of his action.

 

"Sorry," he mumbled before resuming his work without even concentrating for the whole day. Just as he thought the way to her heart was opened to him slowly, the girl slipped away again.

 

Is this a sign that I should really stop trying? He reflected deeply.

 

***

 

It was two weeks after, a bright Saturday morning when he decided to do a little exercise. He jogged along the Huangpu river, enjoying the admirable view of the long and wide river which flowed through the downtown Shanghai.

 

There were quite a lot of people strolling or jogging along the riverside that morning. The sun was not strong, and the breeze was cool. He stopped a few times when he hitched his breath to drink a gulp of water at each stop. Working from project to project disabled him to exercise regularly, thus, merely running tired him easily.

 

That was the fourth stop for him. He didn't count on how long he jogged already, but he was sure that it was over than an hour. Almost two hours perhaps. Just when he started to resume his running, someone was crossing the pedestrian walk so suddenly towards the river railing, cutting his track.

 

He didn't see it coming, so he bumped into the stranger. They both fell on their bums, and he heard her groaned.

 

Gosh, a she! he told himself. He quickly got up, brushed the dirt off his training pants, and dashed to the girl who was looking down, one hand rubbed the opposite elbow. The fall made her elbow scrapped. He felt guilty in instant for he knew he caused it.

 

"Are you okay?" He knelt in front of her, holding her arms with both his hands, trying to help her to stand on her feet. "I'm sorry, I didn't see you walking. Are you hurt somewhere?"

 

"Ah, it's okay. Just a little scrap. I'm okay," replied the girl whose hand was still on her elbow, covering the stinging bruise.

 

Upon hearing her voice, Sungmin was petrified. It was a voice he knew so well, for he longed to hear it every single moment, and it intensified lately, he could even hear it everytime in his head.

 

The girl he bumped into looked up to meet his eyes. It was the dark hazel orbs he missed so much those past three months. The white complexion of face he wished to touch and which cheek he wanted to caress so badly. The soft pink plump of lips that he wished to kiss once again, only willingly this time. The soft strands of brunette hair which fell gracefully right on her shoulder, which he wished to bury his face in.

 

Crap! The ilness comes again. Hold yourself together. She is just an illusion because you miss her so much. He told himself.

 

"Sungmin?"

 

The voice was ringing in his ears like a sweet chime of a distant bell. The sound seemed imaginary, yet it awakened his senses that made him realized in the end that the person in his arms was real.

 

"S-Sunny?"

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Hello everyone!
Gosh, I miss you so much, and I miss writing this so much!

However, strangely I can't think of any writer's note to write to you. Writing block just at the end of the update. Pretty convenient. Lol.

Alright then, since I don't have anything to say, I'll just remind you guys to write your criticism, both good or bad, below.

Thanks for reading. And note that this story will soon end :)