Chapter 5

Twister

A.N. Another short update from me. Sorry for the lack of length, but I'm trying really hard to depict the mood here, which I find hard to do *cries*

 

At first I thought it would be a four chapter long the most, but the number is counting now and I don't know anymore. I hope you guys don't dislike this too much. I know some of it are unclear. But I swear I try hard.

 

This is a story that hits home. So close to my heart that I find it hard to retell. Once again, for the lack of anything in this story, I apologize.

 

And until another update!

Be sure to leave some comments.

Happy Reading! ^^

 

------------------

 

Several weeks later, Taeyeon stood in the middle of busy and noisy hall of PR department, checking the notification board. After a moment of skimming through the names, she quickly walked away from the board - the other students squished her tiny body in between, wanting to know the similar information she found out.

 

When she reached a quieter spot in her building, she slung her backpack forward and dipped her head into it, looking for her phone. Finding it, she dabbed her fingers on the green icon on the smooth LCD screen of her phone. The girl put the gadget on her ear as the caller tone ringing.

 

"Yah! Where are you? Still at home?" ranted Taeyeon  as soon as the person across the line picked up her call.

 

"Um," the answer came throaty as her best friend had just woken up from her beauty sleep.

 

"Sloth!" She name-called her buddy.

 

"Yah! I don't have any class, okay!" defended Sunny with suddenly shrilly voice.

 

"The internship list is released. Don't you want to know the company you're assigned to?"Taeyeon jived.

 

"I'll just check later," answered Sunny simply.

 

"Not very interested I see," Taeyeon nodded her head. "Alright, you get Hyundai. And I get Samsung!!!!" She screamed through the microphone which she knew would make the latter jerked her phone out of the range of her ear.

 

"YAH!! You're loud, Kim Taeyeon!" She yelled after the end of her line stop screaming. "Wait up! I'm going there as fast as I can. That's not the company I signed in to."

 

The other line hung up without any more words of goodbye. Taeyeon quickly pocketed her phone and walked away to the cafeteria, waiting for her best pal.

 

A couple of hours Sunny, which came to meet Taeyeon briefly but soon went to the secretary office of her department to try to fix the internship placement, came back to the cafeteria with slumped shoulders.

 

"A no go?" Taeyeon asked. The later just shook her head.

 

"Aw... Now don't be too disappointed, Sunny," cooed Tiffany who was joining Taeyeon as the shorter one was waiting for the even shorter one.

 

"Here. Drink it first," she added as she slide pushed a plastic cup of honeydew juice in front of her.

 

Sunny mumbled her thanks.

 

"So, what are you gonna do?" Taeyeon asked.

 

The target of question merely shrugged her shoulder. "Just follow along, I suppose? Oof... Hyundai is more like your thing than mine, Taengoo. What do I know about automotive?"

 

"Nah. It's not my field too. Mine is Boogati,  you know." She mock corrected her with an endearing reference for the brand of automotive supplier she liked.

 

"Whatever," Sunny answered carelessly before sipping her juice with a straw and succumbing to sulking when she remembered her internship assignment.

 

"Don't worry, Sunny-ya. You'll do just great. That I believe," encouraged Tiffany.

 

The rather blonde girl smiled and reached out to pat Sunny's hand. And when Sunny didn't see, she leaned in to Taeyeon and whispered, "Besides, who knows something great will happen," which earned a slap on her thigh as Taeyeon withdrew her hand from on top of the table and to under the table where Tiffany's legs were crossing invitingly.

 

*

Two weeks later, Sunny found herself standing in front of a wide mirror in the spacious washroom of the grand Hyundai Motor Company. She was fidgeting as she was staring into the reflective surface on the wall, being anxious if she looked presentable, professional and smart enough for her supervisor in her first internship day.

 

She arrived early in a chic black and white working attire, trying to look ready for working men world. Her bangs was clipped on one side with bobby pins, and her shoulder length hair was left loose.

 

The petite girl checked her appearance for the millionth time before raising her right wrist to check on the time.

 

08.43. I should come out, Sunny thought as she quickly grabbed her black handbag. One last glance into the mirror and she was heading out and to the reception desk, stationed in the middle back of the reception hall.

 

Some people were standing there, about three or four. Some, which she believed to be interns like herself-but came from another university-judging from how fidgety they looked. She nodded to them before standing around.

 

Not for so long, a guy clad in a neat grey suit came out from the elevator hall. At that time more staff were bustling in and through the hall since it was almost nine.

 

"The interns, right?" He asked brusquely. When he saw them nodding, he continued, "Okay. Good morning and welcome to Hyundai Motor Company. I am Jung Joongmin, and I will take you to a tour inside this building first and foremost, before taking you to your respective division."

 

The small crowd nodded again in agreement. A few more words, and they started the tour around the big building. It was nearly lunch time when they finished, so the guy guiding them around brought them to office cafeteria.

 

The white wide dining hall was still rather empty, the long tables and benches were vacant. In fact they were the first to arrive to grab lunch. However, after their foods arrived, the other staff started to fill in the hall, lining up on the stalls of their choices.

 

As she was chewing on her bibimbab, she threw a furtive glance around, observing every faces her eyes could glance at.

 

Faces I don't know, she thought to herself as she was scooping yet another spoonful of rice.

 

And at that very moment, she saw someone from the end of the hall. Someone familiar. A bulky figure that she had not seen for long.

 

She suddenly remembered something she overheard before. Tiffany and Taeyeon's little chat in their shared apartment.

 

I heard Kyuhyun and him talking about being a junior PR and marketing strategy staff for a major automobile company.

 

Can't it be? She thought. She shook her head out of habit and turned her head to where the figure stood, trying to get a better look. However the figure in question had gone. Or he was not there in the beginning.

 

"You haven't finished your lunch?" A intern next to her, a girl with long wavy hair and jet black pencil skirt asked her. It was more of a statement actually than a question.

 

She quickly eyeing the other interns meals, noticing that they were all finished, or almost finished.

 

"Sorry," she mumbled at the girl next to her before wolfing her food as fast as she could.

 

Half an hour later she stood in the PR & Marketing Division with the long-haired girl, who she knew as Hwang Jimin. Apparently there were only three divisions opened for intern post. They went by two for each division, except the division of production which only took in one intern.

 

Sunny glanced at the girl who was silently observing the surrounding beside her. She looked a little older than her. Perhaps two years older, she thought. Her pencil skirt was tightly fit on her hip, accentuating her full bum. Judging from her look, Sunny thought she was one who was quite difficult to get along with.

 

As she mentally shook her head, clearing it of any prejudices, chattering sound was heard just behind the corner. She quickly straightened her white blouse, and so did Jimin. A group of staff walked in when she was just put her arms to her side, one hand was clutching the strap of her postman bag.

 

"...she started to strip, you know. We should never give her any sort of alcoholic  drink anymore," one of them said and they all laughed, before turning her head, noticing the two newbies, "Oh, hey it's the interns. Are you?"

 

"Yes," Sunny and Jimin answered in a chorus.

 

"I see. Good then. Sungmin, it's your minions! Don't you dare to throw your lethal women-killer smile on them!" she addressed someone on the last line of the group rather loudly and jokingly.

 

The group dispersed to reveal the one guy that just popped up her mind at lunch time. The bulky figure she felt familiar with.

 

"Sunny?" he asked in disbelief. Sure that someone from HR department had informed him about the new intern and the new trainee he was going to handle, but he didn't ask further for the detail information on them. He just asked about their education institutes they were in. He knew one of them was from the same university as he was, but never he thought that it was Sunny.

 

"Good afternoon, I am Sunny. I hope we can work well together," the petite girl greeted him back, bowing 45 degrees, trying to sound professional and polite to those prying eyes around them. Jimin quickly did the same.

 

He was rather taken aback with the formalities, but quickly bowing back to return the politeness the two were displaying.

 

"Let's- Let's come inside and I'll explain to you guys your respective job description," said Sungmin, rather baffled of what to say because of the unexpected meeting.

 

*

"How's your first day?" Asked Taeyeon. She popped up in front of her best friend room.

It was nearly 8 in the evening. She just came back from her first day of internship, feeling like a walking dead already.

 

"I'd rather not discussing it," answered the later from inside her snugly bed. Her first day was not that bad actually, but the unexpected turn of event made her feel like vanishing into the other side of the earth.

 

"Why?" Asked Taeyeon, slightly intrigued.

 

She came into the room and throw herself on the bed right beside her pal, squishing her side a bit in the process. The shorter of the two yelped as she sent her hand landing on Taeyeon's upper arm. The slap stung, made Taeyeon yelped back.

 

"Why so violent?" She protested.

 

"You started it," Sunny rebuffed.

 

"Childish."

 

"You should see yourself."

 

Taeyeon huffed. "So, what happened in your office? Was it that bad?"

 

"I'm not telling," Sunny turned away, her back to Taeyeon. "You go take a bath. Don't make my sheet smell."

 

"Yah! Now look who's talking! You are the dirtiest of all, Lee Soonkyu!" Howled Taeyeon. "Sheesh! What was happening in your office that make you this nasty?"

 

Taeyeon got off from Sunny's bed and went out the room. She closed the door with a slight bang as to let her friend know that she was displeased with her behavior.

 

Sunny couldn't care more. She wasn't in the mood. The tiny girl pulled the comforter higher until it reached her chin. A slit on the curtain letting twinkling lights from the road below entered her room. She was staring blankly at them as her mind wandered.

 

The moment they really went separate ways left her furious. Not for the infidelity, not for the betrayal, but more for the maddening situation as whole. But when the realization came in, she was nothing but a sack of tears and grief.

 

She was the one kind who repressed, and during the whole ordeal, it didn't help that she was the rational one, dealing with her boyfriend's immaturity and self-pity because she had no heart to leave him vulnerable-or so what she thought-, and still had to deal with her personal battle in her mind.

 

During that time, she reflected a lot. More in unnecessary self-blaming because she believed she also played a role to his betrayal.

 

Perhaps it was because she was too loose towards him. She was never jealous. She was always secure to the point that she didn't mind if he went out with his ex or his friends who were girls. That could be one of the reason of his betrayal, but she couldn't be sure.

 

Perhaps it was because she was too individualist that for the big decisions, she was as good as making it herself without asking his opinions on it. Nah, she did ask for his opinion, but it was always a like a report, along with what she was going to do about it. So, it was highly probable that he felt left out. That could also be one of the reason of his betrayal, but she couldn't be sure either.

 

Perhaps it was because she was too ambitious with her future and he wasn't. Despite her easy-going, go-get-lucky personality, she was one who never went out without planning-even although it was a big doodle in her head and not something detailed. She had planned her future, her career ahead of time and she was sure to achieve it with or without him, while he was going with the flow, seeing where the river of life took him. It intimidated him perhaps, that she was ready for every thing in her life while he was unprepared. It was true that he had his dreams, but it was just dreams, and he felt unsure of how to achieve it. He felt left behind. That could be one of the reason of his betrayal, but she couldn't be sure.

 

Perhaps it was because deep inside, she still felt unsure and insecure about him and he felt it somehow. It was true that she loved him. She loved him so much, in fact, given that he was her first love, her first boyfriend. He was also her best friend, her counselor, her trash bin, her brother, her father sometimes, and the many roles he could depict only made her loved him even more. However, she once imagined of where she would be standing by the end of their journey, and she wasn't even sure she saw herself standing beside him. Perhaps because he was too close for comfort. Perhaps because he was one without plan. Perhaps because she couldn't trust her future in his hands yet, and many other insecurities jabbing her heart. He shared her his dreams of having his own family, although they were young at that time. And she wasn't sure if she wanted the same thing he wanted. That could be one of the reason of his betrayal, but that she also couldn't be sure.

 

Or perhaps it was because she timely denied his pleading desire. They were young at that time, and he was raging with hormones. However, she, being always the rational, the logical, the practical, the common sense, always refused his lust. True that she also felt the urge and sometimes it overwhelmed her senses, but she kept her brain in check and out of the gutter most of the time. She allowed some of his desire and enjoyed his touch, yet she never gave him her prized possession. It was a lie to say that it didn't drive him crazy. After all, they were just teenager with high curiosity and to say it again, raging hormones. That could be one of the reason of his betrayal, but again, she couldn't be sure.

 

Sunny sighed deeply as she rolled back on her bed, trying to sort her running thought. And she remembered something Taeyeon said to her after her break up, "Whatever the reason is, whatever you consciously or unconsciously did, he has no right to do that to you. You don't deserve to be treated that way. If he wants to break up with you, he could find another excuse, and not to tell you that he is cheating on you. He is a jerk."

 

She smiled upon remembering her best friend's outrage. She never felt anymore grateful for having her through the her devastating period of life, although Taeyeon knew it a little late for Sunny herself wasn't ready to disclose the break up to her on the second it happened.

 

It was true that she felt unsure about him, but that didn't make the pain any lesser. She was afraid of losing him. She was afraid of losing his presence, both physical and psychological. They had been together for years anyway, and she felt like walking on a thin thread alone when he was not there beside her. She was afraid of falling and he wasn't there to catch her. But it has to be done. She has to go through every painful stages after the break up and she did. However, it left her cracked. The unfortunate incident and the process of accepting it left her dented and broken.

 

Even after a year, she still felt unwhole, and that made her close the gate to her heart. She couldn't give her heart to someone else while it was still broken. It was not fair for him. It was not fair for everybody.

 

She sighed deeply as the drowsiness started to take her into another realm. A realm of nightmare and restless sleep.

 

--------

 

P.S.: Right back at ya!

You know it's you I meant when you read this ;p