Chapter 8

Twister

Jimin was walking swiftly into the elevator while balancing two cups of steaming latte. A handbag was hung on her shoulder. She held a transparent folder filled with documents under her armpit tightly, securing her handbag altogether.

 

The smile hadn't vanished from her face as she remember her encounter with Sungmin yesterday. He praised her for her efficiency in doing her assignments. Sungmin rarely paid attention to her as he was being busy with his own work, and his attentiveness to certain intern didn't go unnoticed. Yet, when she handed him the materials he requested for an advertisement the team were working on, he told her to sit down and apologized for his lack of attention to her progress - although he pointed a senior to do the look out and report to him of it. So, it was like winning a trophy for her.

 

As soon as she arrived on their floor, she made a way towards Sungmin's desk. He was not arrived yet apparently, given his desk was tidy still. She looked around the desk to find a stack of yellow post it and a pen. She scribbled "To a good leader who is willing to apologize to his subordinate although he isn't at fault" on it, ripped it and stuck it on one of the warm latte cups that she brought.

 

After making sure that she placed the cup in the noticeable and safe area of the desk - in case he accidentally elbowed the cup or anything - she walked to her own desk. Skipped a little to be honest, and the smile never left her lips. That until her foot collided with something on the floor and nearly stumbled should she failed to hold on the table beside her.

 

"Sorry," someone on the floor asked her. Apparently she was the object that Jimin collided with. "A-are you okay?"

 

She snapped her head to find Sunny kneeling on the floor, and it added to her dislike towards Sunny. "Aish! Just what the heck are you doing?!"

 

"I dropped my pen, and looked for it. Sorry that I nearly made you fall," Sunny apologized as she was scrambling to her feet. Her hand was holding the said pen.

 

"You should be careful next time! You could cause a major accident, you know. What if I snap my neck?!"

 

With that Jimin  her spot and left Sunny with an eyebrow raised. She looked down at her pen in her hand.

 

"Major accident? Snap her neck? Shame that it didn't happen," Sunny muttered under her breath as she was sitting down on her chair. "She blows it up. It's clearly that she's the one who doesn't see properly. Like how could anybody fails to notice that a is sticking out half way under the desk?"

 

"What ? Whose are you talking about?" A voice from her left startled her. She was so focused on grumbling her annoyance away that she didn't pay attention that Sungmin walked over her desk and stood beside her on the alley of desks.

 

"N-nothing," Sunny answered quickly.

 

"Really? I heard from some of your friends that you have this ert tendency. I don't know that it is this bad that you start thinking about this early in the morning," he teased.

 

"Yah! It's nothing like you are thinking, okay? Just go away!" she snapped at him. Jimin had ruined her morning, not him too, she thought.

 

"Do you always bite in the morning?" he asked, a little offended, but tried not to show it. "I want the materials I asked you yesterday. Have it ready on my table at ten."

 

When he said that, she was quickly reminded of her position and situation, so she uttered a quick, "I'm sorry. I'll have it ready by then," then Sungmin went away, back to his own desk.

 

Today won't be easyI know it. I just know it. Something bad always happens when it is Monday. This is why every company should close until Monday, she sighed as she was resuming what she was doing prior the incident.

 

She finished the assignment that Sungmin gave her, and delivered it to Sungmin's desk in time, but he wasn't there. She could care less however. Her list of work was as long as Han river, and it frustrated her how time flies so fast when she needed time the most. Without her realizing it, it was already lunch time. She went down to cafeteria to get a take away, and went back to her desk again, working and eating at the same time. Of course she didn't forget to cuss of how she hate Monday, especially that Monday.

 

It was three in the afternoon when she decided to take a break for a while. She went to the bathroom, and then to the pantry to make a cup of coffee to keep her brain whirring for the rest of the day. She took the cup with her and headed to her most favorite place, the emergency staircase.

 

However, before she even reached the spot, she saw two people in front of the door of the emergency. One of the two seemed to have walked out from that door.

 

"Jimin, thanks for the latte," a male voice that Sunny would recognize even without seeing who was heard.

 

"Ah, don't mention it, Sungmin-sshi," a sickening sweet voice was coming from the woman in front of him. The kind of voice that didn't go unacknowledged by Sunny, given how the owner ruined her morning.

 

"We seemed to be of the same age. So, you can call me without honorifics if you like," said Sungmin.

 

"Sungmin... I can't. It feels wrong since you're my boss," refused Jimin cutely. Or so she thought because for Sunny it felt creepy instead.

 

Sungmin smiled slightly, then said, "Whatever comfortable for you then. By the way, I had read your report. I'm surprised that it's so comprehensive. You even wrote the possible schemes for anticipation measure."

 

"Thank you," uttered Jimin. Judging from how light her voice sounded, it was clear that she was smiling from ear to ear.

 

I shan't be here. I feel like a crazy stalker standing here, Sunny thought, and she started to turn around.

 

Right then, Jimin blurted a question, "Can we have a dinner?"

 

Sungmin didn't answer for some good seconds. He was surprised and confused of the nature of the question, but he answered in the end, "Sure, why not? When?"

 

"This Saturday? Do you have anything on that day?" Jimin asked.

 

"Not that I can remember," he answered. "Alright. Saturday it is."

 

Sunny heard Jimin squealed happily, and when she turned her head unconsciously towards them, she saw Jimin tiptoed on her feet and gave Sungmin a kiss on his cheek. Sungmin face was undeniably shocked, but Sunny paid less attention to that. Her heart was thumping madly, without her knowing it, her feet brought her away from the place she knew she shouldn't be from the first time she caught the two standing by that door.

 

***

 

"W-what was that for?" Sungmin stuttered. He was baffled of what had happened.

 

Jimin's cheeks turned fiery red. "S-sorry," she stammered. "I tend to get impulsive when I am too excited."

 

"Ah.. Alright," muttered Sungmin. His hand went to his hair, scratching his non-itchy head, trying to brush off the awkwardness.

 

"I... I go in first. Still got a lot to finish," he said, gesturing to the entrance of their department.

 

"Yeah," she replied. Her face was still flushed, but the silly grin hadn't faded off. "I'm going to toilet first."

 

The two nodded their heads and went separate ways.

 

The time Sungmin opened the door to PR department, Sunny craned her neck in his direction, being curious of vibes after the scene she witnessed. Sungmin's face had the sheer pink tint across it. The color which Sunny mistook as awkwardly blissful and not awkward period.

 

She quickly averted her eyes of him, and stared at her screen once more, only she wasn't able to concentrate any longer. And true to her feeling of the day, it wasn't an easy one. It clearly wasn't.

 

***

 

Tiffany unlocked the door of Taeyeon and Sunny's apartment that night, to find her little friend was nibbling the chicken thigh in her hand, while staring at the moving pictures in their flat screen TV. However, she hadn't really looked at it. Her mind was elsewhere. Or else that was what she was thinking when she saw her.

 

Tiffany let her little friend alone to get herself freshened up before anything. So she took her time bathing and putting night cream on her face before coming out to sit beside her.

 

"Tae will come home late. She texted me just now," said Tiffany, starting a conversation. Her hand reached for another chicken thigh in the box, but a smaller hand of short plump thumb slapped it.

 

"Who told you to eat?"

 

"Shish... So stingy," snorted Tiffany as she threw her back into the sofa with nothing to eat and a lot to grumble. "What the heck is wrong with you?"

 

"Nothing," was all she would said.

 

It was so typical, thought Tiffany. The midget wouldn't speak when she was sad, or angry, or completely annoyed. Now it was all on Tiffany whether she wanted to coax the cause out of her, or let the midget to tell her in her own time. She opted the first though.

 

"How's today at office?" She asked, her eyes stealing glances on the beautifully carved chicken thighs in the box.

 

"Nothing extraordinary."

 

"How's Sungmin? I heard he was to assist launching project in China?"

 

"They said so."

 

"How long?" asked Tiffany lightly.

 

"I don't know."

 

"I wonder why is he sent there? Do you think there's nobody in China capable to do that?"

 

"I don't know."

 

"Do you think there's a chance for him to be transferred there?"

 

"I DON'T KNOW, OKAY! STOP ASKING!"

 

Tiffany shut in instant. She was quite surprised at her best friend's outburst, yet she couldn't hide that her pride was hurt. She didn't do anything wrong. That was what she thought and what both parties understand, but Sunny was too disturbed to deal with Tiffany's casual petty questions.

 

"What's wrong with you?!" asked Tiffany rather high pitched. She waited a moment, yet Sunny just stayed quiet. Not apologizing, not even defending herself. "Forget it. I'm sleeping."

 

With that, she got up from her seat and left the room, clearly offended.

 

Right when she heard the door to Taeyeon's room thudded off quite loudly, Sunny sighed.

 

What is wrong with me? she asked herself.

 

***

 

For the next few weeks, Sunny kept her distance from both Sungmin and Jimin. Avoiding Jimin was easier since she wasn't really in touch with her although they were in the same division. However, Sungmin was a different case. Of course he was confused and curious of why Sunny was distancing herself from him, but it was left undiscussed since his workload unable him to do so. So they came back to square one. To being awkward with one another.

 

 It drove him crazy to be honest. The day he knew she was an intern under his supervision, he secretly wished for a nice ending for both of them, especially now that fate had lighted up the flicker of hope of his which almost died the day she said good bye six months ago.

 

But now, seeing how Sunny tended to avoid his attempt to start a conversation, his attempt to greet her, and even his attempt to catch her eyes, he felt the urge to pluck his hair in desperation. Why was it hard to make her fall for him? Why was it hard to make her his? were questions unfathomable to him.

 

How he wanted to just grab her, kiss her fiercely and pronounce his love to her every time they happened to share a lift or bump each other on the corridor. But he had learned a hard lesson that those were not an advisable suggestion. Nah, he didn't want to risk going back to square -50. He didn't want to go back on being the maniac.

 

On the other hand, Jimin was making her advances. Although he acted like he didn't know her intention, he couldn't stop thinking how stupid he was. Well, having someone you love was a great thing definitely, but having someone who genuinely love you was great too. However,  he couldn't let himself fall for her. Not when he was deeply in love with Sunny. He knew it would be unfair for Jimin. Yet he couldn't deny that Jimin's presence console his lonely heart.

 

As he was leaning back on the office chair which reclined slightly when he did so, and staring at the streaks of scarlet through navy blue sky, he thought of how complicated his life seemed to be now. And how easy it was when all he knew was work and home, and some gatherings with old friends and new friends.

 

He sighed deeply before picking up his smartphone from the left area of his desk. Tapping on an application, he was contemplating whether or not to type into the chat box. And when he finally typed the words in and pressed send, his heart was beating erratically. Funny how simple exchange in communication like this made him feel like a freaking teenager boy with raging hormones again.

 

The answer came almost fifteen minutes after.

 

No you aren't, but I am not really in the mood to chat actually.
I was just arrived.
Anything you need or need me to do?

 

He was thinking how to answer to her reply for a moment before typing in,

 

I don't need anything. I just miss you.

 

But he quickly erased that. He wrote some other alternatives but he erased them too. And while he was staring at his phone, feeling stupid, he wondered if other guys experienced the same situation as he was right now, which he doubted. Why was he a coward?

 

Then he finally replied,

Nothing. I just wonder if you want to go out again.
Kyuhyun and I and several others from our uni circle are going to meet in Coreanos tonight. You know, just having a nice little chat over what happened in our lives recently.
Wonder if you want to join.

 

Alright. That's lame, he thought to himself.

 

A minute later, his phone beeped. A pop up notification box indicated that he had just received a message. He quickly read it.

 

Seulong invited me, but I haven't decide whether to come or not.

 

Okay. Such a casual reply, he thought. Why is she such a cool fellow?

 

Why not? Let's hang out.

 

And that is a casual invitation to a casual reply of her, Sungmin decided proudly.

 

I'm tired. But who knows if I change my mind later.

 

was an answer from her. Knowing her, there was a tone of finality in her message. That was why he replied for the last time with,

 

I'll be waiting.

 

Sungmin typed that sentence without hoping much that she would come up, although the hope was still there. He refrained himself from writing that in a couple of days he was going to Shanghai, faster than planned before, due to big boss intervention. Thus he wished to spend more time with her. However, who was he to request that of her?

 

He soon gathered his belongings that were cluttered in and on his desk and stepped out the office building when the sky had completely turned dark.

 

***

 

Hi guys!
I'm sorry for this late update. Suddenly my life is so busy that I barely have time to even rest. I had to handle national sales meeting just last week, but the preparation went weeks before the actual week it was held, and it was crazy. On the other hand, I have regular and additional practices now and then, that the due date for the performing day of my theater is coming closer. It's just one week from now!

 

So again, I apologize in advance should this chapter disappoint you. To be honest, I wrote some part before the end of year holiday, but haven't had time to continue until these days. So, if you find that there's a gap in the story, I admit it. I admit my fault. >.<

 

I'll try to better update the next time, while not keeping a promise on when to update.

Meanwhile, please do comment or criticize after reading. I really need it for constructive input.

Thanks so much and see ya when I update.