Chapter 6

Twister

 

 

"Could you please copy these documents for me?" Sungmin asked Sunny who was scribbling ideas for innovative marketing strategy. He handed a pile of papers, some were advertisement designs, more were charts and diagrams, some were trains of words.

 

She sighed inwardly, cursing him silently. He always gave her petty tasks to do, and it irked her because she longed for something bigger and more important than duplicating the documents. Even Jimin was already given a more significant task. She was appointed to accompany one of the marketing staff to meet with an advertising company.

 

Sungmin caught the  begrudging look on her face although it was only a glint.

 

"Why? You aren't satisfied?" He picked on her.

 

Sunny turned to look at him. She held her gaze some second before shaking her head and hummed her disagreement.

 

He hated it when she did that. Frankly speaking, she still had her effect on him that made his heart paced faster when she stared at him in a way or two. Nah, in any way to be exact. Even the side view of her puckered lips which showed that she was deep in concentration managed to make his stomach churned, in a good tingling way.

 

It was his turn to sigh inwardly as he saw her swaying her way to the copier at the back of their division lot.

 

This girl will be the dead of me, he cussed silently. Why in the world that she has to be appointed in the same company I was in? Seriously, fate is a brute.

 

He stared blankly at some stack of paper in front of him. The words in it needed to be carefully scrutinised and considered thoroughly as to make each marketing program an effective one.

 

Despite his luck - or his unluckiness - with the girl he had feelings for, his fate had been kind. Within months of his employment, the higher-ups noticed his passion for work, his rational way of judgement, the effectiveness of his small decisions, the weight of his attitude towards his job, how he was able to lead the small project team, and how he gained their respect in return.

 

So, when the supervisor resigned and left the position empty, his name was quickly vouched as a candidate. He got the position in the end.

 

A moment later, a rustling of steps outside his cubicle startled him, and he quickly fixed his form behind the table. He pretended to seriously read the documents in front of him, and that was when Sunny appeared.

 

She didn't say anything. Just a mere "here" as she put down the stack of freshly copied papers, making the warm scent of ink to disperse around the room.

 

"You're pretty quick," He commented with a straight face, putting on I'm-a-professional façade. "Now, take this document and read thoroughly."

 

Sunny took the handed out thin bundle from his hand. She muttered rather audibly, "Reading again?"

 

"Yep. Reading again," Sungmin said curtly, turning the petite lady scarlet. "And I'm expecting a thorough feedback from you for the last reading material I gave you on our new marketing plan for the engine innovation by the end of today."

 

"Yes," was the only thing she could mumbled at that moment. The short girl walked back to her desk to begin typing on her desktop.

 

"Never complain when I give you tasks to be done no matter how petty it might seem. You'll be thanking me later," scolded Sungmin to nobody in particular since he was staring at his screen.

 

However, since there was only two of them in that room at that moment, it was clear that his words were directed to Sunny. Sunny could only hung her head lower, recoiling in strong dislike towards the man who was once her biggest admirer.

 

*

 

The sound of tinkling metal utensils against ceramic filled the modest space of dining room which was connected to the living room. Three heads of different shades of brown were flocking around the four-seater dining table, munching at their simple dinner. Chinese take out.

 

"He's so unpleasant. I wonder what had happened to the quirky guy who used to be my stalker," Sunny vented out animatedly to Taeyeon about her growing dislike toward Sungmin. "And it's like I'm in a class. Can you believe that he only make me do the feedback, review and report, while the other intern is allowed to go about to take care things."

 

"He might be deeply hurt back then," Taeyeon commented casually as she put another spoonful of rice into .

 

"Yah!" The smallest of the three yelled.

 

"Or he might still be harboring feeling for you," Tiffany gave an idea. "You know, the boys like to tease or simply annoy the girls they like."

 

"Psh! Don't start!" scolded Sunny.

 

"Yeah. Don't be delusional. If I am him, I will certainly avoid this girl the second time," Taeyeon commented while pointing at her best friend direction. "This girl does him no good."

 

"Yah!" Sunny yelled once again. A grain of rice flew off from and landed gracefully in the middle of the table.

 

"Eurgh... See," commented Taeyeon as she was pulling in her plates and rice bowl, away from Sunny's mighty mouth splatter, while Tiffany was laughing at the scene.

 

After the laugh subsided she added, "I believe that he means you no harm, no vengeance. I know him. And judging from his character, he's not the one who gets back at those who hurt him."

 

"Yah! I didn't hurt him. It was a mutual understanding that I can't be with him," Sunny defended herself. She was flailing her spoon as she was talking. "He accepted it alright, and I don't see why should he treat me harsh after what had happened while I was clearly not in the wrong."

 

"Yeah. Tell me about the sneering glance every time you saw him. And the constant scowling look on your face every time he was around," Taeyeon chided in.

 

"I-" Sunny huffed. "Why am I your friend again, nasty Kim Taeyeon? It was because he acted so oddly at that time. So much like a stalker. He even kissed me. What can I do but scared of and despised him? But I wasn't hostile when I talked to him the last time."

 

"Because you know you would get rid of him soon."

 

"That's not the case," Sunny rebuffed. She stared at her best friend for some moment in disbelief, speechless.

 

She put down the spoon she was holding. It thudded softly on the light brown wooden table and said "Do you think I am that heartless now?"

 

Taeyeon didn't answer, she just continued on eating, pretending she didn't hear the question. Nor did Tiffany which was shifting uncomfortably in her seat, watching how and where the conversation has shifted.

 

"Whatever," said Sunny. She picked up her unfinished food, walked over to the bin and dispose what was left on the plate and put her dirty dish in the sink. In silent she turned her back and walked into her room.

 

Just before she shut the door, she heard a slap, probably on the shorter of the two's arm, and a hushed scolding from Tiffany - "What the heck is wrong with you? Should you be a ?".

 

She could care less that her friend was hollered by her own girlfriend for her behavior. She disliked the indirect insult and she wanted to hear no more of her best friend's accusations, although she unadmitedly found the honest hurtful truth behind those accusations. Not wanting to care no more, she closed the door and lock it.

 

*

 

The next day, Sunny was again sitting behind the office desk. She was strumming her finger on the glass covered table absent-mindedly.

 

The clock showed that it was nearly lunch time, and she was quite alone in the office. Almost all her colleagues were out but Jimin. Even Sungmin was not there since the morning. She hadn't seen him even once. One of her senior said he and one senior staff were in the meeting room since morning, to meet with the people from broadcasting companies. Their company was going to release new model, so their division was getting busier.

 

However, being the newbie and intern, there was nothing significant Sunny could do. It was a high time for their division, and the head wanted everything to be perfect. Not to mention the prejudices they had should they had to leave the job to the newbie. So there she was, waiting until the lunch time arrived or waiting until she was called to do the petty tasks.

 

She glanced two rows of desk ahead, which was occupied by Jimin. She seemed to be doing something seriously with her desktop at the moment. Sunny couldn't see what that was though, because Jimin's shoulders were covering the screen. However, she felt a pang of jealousy thinking that her fellow intern was again given something significant to work on.

 

Sunny's eyes wandered once more and it's gaze fell on the round clock on the wall above the door, showing that the time has 12. She quickly pushed the feedback on her perspective Sungmin made her make - which she abandoned for the last of half an hour - and stood on her feet.

 

She decided to ask Jimin to have a lunch together, because there were simply nobody. She felt bad too though, that the interns who were supposed to take care of each other had so far showing uncivilized attitude in the inclination of a competition. Which came from Jimin the most apparently.

 

Sunny made a way over her colleague's seat. She was approaching and the latter seemed not to notice that there was someone walking closer, so she paid no deed. It was when Sunny was around three steps more that she stopped on her tracks.

 

Jimin wasn't working on something. She was looking at some different windows on her screen, which was minimised into three different sizes that fit the whole screen. On it, Sunny saw she was looking at Sungmin's Facebook, Sungmin's Twitter and Sungmin's blog.

 

Her jaw automatically dropped at the sight, was opened wide. She didn't even know that Sungmin was an active social media user. He didn't look like one, nor that she care anyway.

 

The heck! Sunny thought. Wait! Does she have a crush on Sungmin?!

 

She shuddered at the thought. It was Sungmin, the older girl fancied. Sungmin, for heaven sake, and she felt like gagging.

 

Well, not that he's bad or whatsoever. But he is Sungmin! She thought.

 

It was a very strange feeling for her somehow. She was feeling somewhat bashful about her colleague inclination, but somehow displeased too for the reason she couldn't fathom.

 

She shook her head and started walking. This time, Jimin heard her shuffling. She abruptly closed all the windows and snapped her head towards Sunny. She was glaring, her face sceptical.

 

"Er... It's lunch time. - I'm going to cafeteria," was all Sunny managed to say.

 

Jimin was barely nodded her head and she didn't show any more initiative to be friendly or mockingly friendly. Sunny could only sighed and left her to have her lunch.

 

After she had finished eating, she took the lift to her floor, but didn't come inside. She guessed that nobody would be there, but Jimin. And there was nothing she wanted but to be in a different room with her. So she walked to the end of the corridor and opened the door to emergency staircase.

 

She was never been there before, thinking that it was a common tight space with staircase and no window at all. She didn't like being in such place, but she would rather been there than with Jimin and her inexplicable hostility.

 

However, when she stepped in, she was greeted with a beautiful city view. The place was still tight-spaced, but, instead of concrete walls in four sides convining the slope staircase, crystal clear glass walls were taking place of the supposedly concrete walls, showing how beautiful Seoul could be.

 

She took the descending steps downwards and walked automatically across the landing. Once she was in front of the glass panel, she put her hands on the railing.

 

Sunny took in the sight in front of her as she was taking off her hand from the railing and stretched her upper body. A few seconds after, she put down her arms and stared at the glimmering Han river under the rays of noon sun from afar.

 

Who would've thought they have a pretty spot here. She thought. If only I don't have to return to work and face Jimin.

 

She walked back to the steps and sat on it. Since the stairs were sloppy, she decided to lay down on it, not caring if it was the most unhygienic act.

 

This is freedom. Sunny silently commented as she raised her arms and placed them under her head. She noticed that she still had some time to take a nap. Slowly, she drifted into realms of dream where puffy white cloud was her bed and cotton candy was her pillow.

 

Ten minutes after, a heavy creak on the door a landing below and dull thud of steps were softly echoing inside the small space. The stranger walked rather briskly up the stairs. He took a sharp turn on the landing and was forced to stop abruptly. He nearly stepped over a sleeping beauty. Figuratively saying though.

 

What is she doing, sleeping here? He thought as he was surveying Sunny's sleeping expression. There was a creased formed between her eyebrows, and it made him snicker as he heard her mumbling incoherent words.

 

He sighed as he took a seat on the same step. By her side, but not too close in case his presence brought her from her unconsciousness. How am I to do with you, Lee Sunny? I'm in too deep.

 

He stared at her plump lips, which was so inviting to him, but he dared not to take any actions upon. Once is enough to ruin everything, he thought, But once is clearly not enough.

 

He was staring at her again, noticing how steady her chest was heaving up and down as a good sign that she was breathing.

 

If only you are mine... I would kiss you senseless, showering you with attention, making you feel things you hadn't felt before or... He thought. , I do sound like a maniac.

 

He heaved a deep sigh, trying so hard to contain the urge to commit any more mistake. It was a lost battle however. He couldn't win over his desire. Feeling defeated, he scoot closer, dove in and leaning his upper body to let his lips do one thing which other parts of his body couldn't do. He closed in and locked his lips with her.

 

The sensation was spiraling inside his body, sending shivers up his skin and a quick pace of heartbeats.

 

He pulled off a little, letting him enough gap to stare at her peaceful sleeping face. A second later, she unknowingly smiled in her sleep.

 

A smile formed on his lips as he saw it, although knowing that he was probably not the reason behind her smile nor the character in her dream. He felt blithe anyhow.

 

He brushed a strand of her hair which accidentally fell on her face when he kissed her, and dove in for one more light kiss.

 

"This is no longer an innocent crush. A year has passed yet the feeling grows only stronger. I'm so obsessed with you, yet I can't have you. Please, tell me what to do," he muttered.

 

After saying so, he soon left her, afraid that she would wake up should he stayed any longer.

 

The moment the door thudded closed, Sunny shifted a little. She brought her hand to her lips and silently muttered, "If it is an obsession, it isn't love, dummy."

 

Meanwhile in her heart, the feeling of regret was gripping.

 

***

 

Author's note:

Hi! Holla! Hello! How have you been doing? I'm so sorry for the lack of updates lately. Work got the best of me. Besides, due to some of dejecting news lately, I simply can't think straight.

 

So, once again, sorry for the short length and this chapter is again another filler. Idk. I am dissatisfied with the development of this fic actually, but I will finish this however. Whether this fic is getting your support or not (although it would feel a lot better if you guys still consider this fic readable :p) So, please kindly leave a piece of your thought about this chapter below.

 

With this note, I will also pledge to continue my SunSun spree. So, you could be sure to get your portion of SunSun in theSilverStrands' world. They will always be couple here, when they might not be in the real world :)