Chapter 3

Twister

Hiya! I haven't been updating for too long.

Sorry.

 

This update is not a long one too I'm afraid. Sorry again >.<

 

---------------------

 

"What do you wanna do after graduation?" He asked as they lay down on the sloppy backyard in her house.

 

The night had fallen, and there they were, lying side by side on the soft green grass in the spring. It was the year when they broke up.

 

"Going to college of course. I'm gonna go dorm shopping. I want to make it feels like home. Well, it is going to be my home anyway for the next for years," She added. All the while, she was staring at the dark sky filled with thousands, millions stars.

 

"That's an obvious thing. What's the other plan? Something related to me?" He asked further. He rolled to his side, facing and observing the small frame beside him.

 

With this question, she turned her head at him, gazing into his dark brown eyes. It wasn't a question she expected to have, because the answer for her was far ahead. Flash of images ran through her mind. Proposal, engagement, marriage, got pregnant, having kids. Suddenly it felt too much for her, a barely 18 years old girl.

 

There were many things she wanted to do. Graduating high school, getting enrolled to the college she wanted, enjoying life as an undergrad student, making new friends, buried in tons of assignments deadlines, graduated from college.

 

She did thought, the heck was he thinking at that time, spewing such kind of question. But perhaps, it was just her being paranoid, and he wasn't really mean it that way. However, when she saw his face, she knew she couldn't imagine being with another guy. Al least for now. He was always there beside her all the time that she couldn't think of being in some other guy's arms.

 

Noticing the clouded face on his girlfriend's face, he just smiled. He raised his arm to flick her forehead.

 

"Ouch!" She rubbed her slightly reddening forehead.

 

"What are you thinking?" He asked mischievously. "Or rather, how far are you thinking?"

 

"I - I was just..."

 

"You can't possibly thinking about marriage life, can't you?" He grinned.

 

Her silence greeted as an answer. He laughed at her while she sulked in return.

 

"What I mean is college life, Babe. Where will you put me in?" He corrected.

 

She took a little more time before answering, yet a slight change in his expression didn't go unnoticed.

 

She twirled the tip of her straw that stuck out of her cup of cold frappe as another memory surged up.

 

She was looking outside the window as the car drove past the street in downtown Seoul, holding her breath. She was disappointed for thing she could not remember now, but the disappointment was strong enough that she remembered that moment. One thing certain, they argued.

 

The guy behind the steering wheel kept glancing stealthily at her, but both didn't want to lose that battle of egos. Or rather she didn't want to show how weak she was for one more sentence to defend her stand, she would burst in tears.

 

Yes, despite her strong ignorant front she was wearing, she was a repressor. She cried easily, although in no one's appearance.

 

"Hey," He finally spoke up.

 

He called her back when she didn't answer. "Hey."

 

Again, his voice only greeted with silence. Continuously glancing while keeping his concentration on the road, he observed her tiny frame who went rigid. Also her refusal to look at the road ahead, and her shoulders which shuddered slightly now and then.

 

"Hey, you crying?" He asked.

 

When she didn't say any words, he sighed and fix his grip on the steering wheel. "Why do you always cry at time like this?"

 

She kept silent, but inside she was feeling agitated. Not because she was offended by his remark, but she rather found his remarks was true.

 

She hated herself for crying. She hated herself for showing that she was weak. She hated herself for letting the tears stole her dignity, knowing that he must give in seeing her in such state.

 

And she was right. He reached out to her head with his left hand, and said, "Stop crying, okay. I'm sorry." Then it went down to wipe the tears off her wet cheek and rested on her clasped hands.

 

She felt even disappointed. He gave in and she gave him the reason to.

 

"But it wasn't as bad as...", she thought to herself, shaking her head as to shake the newly resurrected moment. Her shoulders shuddered at the memory.

 

Yes. There were times when your memories decided to be a and ed up your mind. Both the good and bad memories have their own ways to mess up with your mind.

 

When the bad memory rose up, it resurrected many feelings one felt the moment it happened before. If the wound was not completely healed, and the mistake hadn't forgiven, it brought a new sensation to the wound. Like rubbing salt or hot sand on it.

 

When the good memory surged up, it usually came with a pang of regret. Regret that one could not experience the same happy memory with the same person again, even though one was hurt badly because of that certain person.

 

Sunny was still twisting the top of her straw slowly between her fingers when a small group came in. Being absent-minded and unaware of her surrounding, she didn't notice when a pair separated themselves of the group and came towards her.

 

She jolted on her chair when one of them tapped her on the shoulder and greeted her with a simple "Hi!" She turned over to find Kyuhyun, whose hand was on her shoulder and Sungmin who was standing a step behind. At the sight of the shorter guy she could only exasperated groaned to herself.

 

"You're alone?" Kyuhyun asked casually. He was actually a senior she could freely talk to, being in the same committees for two university events held.

 

She bobbed her head twice as an answer, eyeing the curious guy behind Kyuhyun. Sungmin was throwing her his grin, a set of neat white teeth gleaming at her. His usual grin which if was projected to the other girls would have the possibility to melt their hearts, but not her.

 

"You don't have anything come up after this, right?" Kyuhyun asked. "Exam week is over. So come with is now."

 

Sunny tilted her head. "Where to?" She asked.

 

"To the you-know-what," Kyuhyun answered as he folded his palm around her tiny right wrist and started pulling her off her chair.

 

The tiny girl groaned. "I don't want to."

 

"Why? Let's party. Have fun. Celebrate the end of our suffering week."

 

"I-I have something else to do," She lied.

 

Kyuhyun stopped in his track. He eyed her carefully.

 

"Nah. You're lying."

 

"I don't. I really do have something to do after this.," Sunny tried to defend herself.

 

"And what is that? Sleeping? Like I don't know you. The look you gave me just now is the look you gave to the heads of project at times you want to skip meetings," Kyuhyun pointed. "Come on. No excuse for you."

 

He pulled her to the counter and had her wait for their coffees ready. Then that small group dragged her back to their lair.

 

When they arrived, most of the usual members were already there. Sunny stepped into the apartment with heavy steps.

 

"Whoa... Amajjing!" Taeyeon exclaimed. "Who dragged her here? You, Oppa?" She asked Sungmin who nudged his head in Kyuhyun's direction, telling the audience the answer through simple gesture.

 

"Whoa! Hats off to you, Oppa!" Taeyeon said. "I've been telling her to come, so does Fany. Yet she was so stubborn, she kept refusing."

 

"She can't escape me. Well, no body can resist my charm anyway," Kyuhyun boasted.

 

"I can't see the relation," Taeyeon shot back as Sunny threw him a disbelief look.

 

"Keep on dreaming, Oppa. No wonder you are still single all these time," She chimed in.

 

"Yah! You don't go there!" He playfully punched her on her upper arm while the others broke into laughter.

 

Soon the small crowd began to bring out the booze and distribute it among themselves. They chat, they joked, they dissed the lectures they disliked, they laughed together. Meanwhile Sunny, she smiled as she saw fit in, nodded when she agreed or mock agreed with them, mostly playing polite while keeping her distance still.

 

All of a sudden, Hyoyeon got up from her seat. She went into one of the boys' room and came out with a colorful box made of cardboard.

 

"Guys~" She called out with a sing-song voice.

 

Upon seeing what she held up high above her head, they groaned.

 

"Please... The bruise is still visible," Jessica whined while pulling up her shirt a bit to show the faded black spot a little above her right hip.

 

"You can stay put this time," said Hyoyeon to Jessica. "Beside, I have this unfinished business with this guy here." She pointed at Jokwon.

 

The pointed guy snorted as he crossed his arms in front of his chest and crossed his legs in a mocking way, "You want to defeat me? Dream on. My body is rubber-like."

 

"Yah! I was unfit the last time! Come down here, I'll show you how one should twist!" Hyoyeon shot a fiery glance at him while opening the box and laid down the mat on the parquet floor.

 

"Who's in?" She challenged. "Taeng? Fany? Seulong?"

 

Both three shook their heads, mumbling their excuses.

 

"Tch... No fun," Hyoyeon said. She them turned at Sunny. "You must join in. You haven't been in this game before."

 

"Eh? I'll just sit and watch," Sunny refused.

 

"No, you can not!" She made a way toward Sunny to pull her hand and dragged her to the dotted mat in the middle of the room. "You must play and that's not a request. It's a command!"

 

The shorter one could only let herself being dragged as she shook her head and question her luck that day. "Why does people drag me anywhere they want? And why the heck do I allow them to?!"

 

When she snapped out her thought, Hyoyeon was already dragging one more people to the floor. Jokwon was there of course, and to much of her distress was Sungmin. He was another victim Hyoyeon found.

 

"I pair with Sungmin Oppa," Hyoyeon declared. "I know you are flexible. We should win this, Oppa, or else, I'll kill you," She threatened him.

 

"Yah! Is that how you talk to a senior?!" Sungmin protested as he pinched Hyoyeon's nose between his fingers, which were quickly swatted by Hyoyeon.

 

Their skinship seemed pretty natural. So did his stare. Or so sunny thought. Did she just over thinking his action? She wasn't so sure anymore now.

 

"Who'll be the referee?" Jokwon asked.

 

"I will," Seulong stood up while raising his right arm high excitedly. Well, over excitedly it seemed.

 

He took the spinner in his hands. "Okay, Jokwon and Hyoyeon stand on the twister sides, Sunny stands on the red side and Sungmin-"

 

"Yah! Stop talking and start the game!" Yelled Jokwon with a fiery glare in his eyes.

 

The other laughed at the situation, for it seemed like a life and death battle between the two. And Sunny and Sungmin were clueless pawns standing unsure at the single color sides.

 

"Alright! Right hand to the green!"

 

Once commanded, four pairs of knees bent down and four right hands stretched to touch the closest red dots.

 

Seulong spun again. This time it was "Left leg, green!"

 

The four people scrambled over again. Sunny and Sungmin, being on the single color side had to stretch across the mat. She sighed and shook her head as she extended her leg to the opposite side.

 

Since Jokwon and Hyoyeon were occupying the twister sides, she and Sungmin had to take the middle part so they didn't collide, thus making her left shin brushed his upper arm lightly. She looked up to see Sungmin stared into her warmly. The warmth, somehow, crept up and lingered in her heart.

 

She brushed off the feeling as she moved again. This time it was "Right leg to the yellow!"

 

The beefy guy withdrew his leg from under his arm, knocking the unbalanced Jokwon, making him fell with a thud, first.

 

"WOOHOO!!!" Hyoyeon screamed happily, "Go Oppa!!! Jokwon, you're dead!"

 

Jokwon retrieved from the mat with a face. "Yeah, enjoy it while it last," He said sullenly.

 

"I will! Surely will!" Hyoyeon exclaimed, satisfied.

 

"Make sure you beat them alright," Jokwon told Sunny.

 

After two more moves, Hyoyeon found herself under Sunny and Sungmin which made her legs and arms supporting her body buckled because of the weight. As she stepped out of the colorful mat, she tapped on Sungmin's shoulder to root on him.

 

Seulong spun the spinner once again. The needle rotated once again. Fast at the beginning and gradually slowing down until the needle stopped at a color.

 

"Left hand to the red!"

 

Drawing her hand to place it on the red dot, she was now on the bridge position with both her legs and hands on all four colors. After making sure that her footing and handling were strong enough, she turned her head and face front. How surprised she was to find Sungmin's face was just about two inches in front of her.

 

He was hovering on top of her, his torso slightly brushed with hers. Both couldn't do more but to hold their breaths, fear of any words that would come out if each others' lips.

 

In that close proximity, Sunny could feel Sungmin's irregular breath on her face, and was sure that her breathing was as irregular as his. Luckily that she was the one in the bottom, so her breath didn't reach any parts of his exposed skin.

 

However, her thumping heart couldn't lie nor it could hide. It beat so loud that she thought her heart could leap out of its cage anytime soon. Strangely enough it matched with his heart beats which were not any silent than hers.

 

People around them hushly talked to each other, yet it wasn't strong enough to make them aware of their surrounding. The tiny girl looked up once again to see his eyes bore into her in a strangely calm way, as if her into his world, it made her face flushed hot.

 

Then there it was, his face drawing even closer, until she could see nothing but his blurry face. The next thing she knew, something soft crashed with her lips and her legs went weak that she fell on her .

 

The onlookers gasped in surprise. They were anxious of where this turn of event led their two best friends to.

 

Sunny, being surprised, confused, finally got her senses back. She pushed Sungmin with all her power so that he tumbled over and landed on his back beside her.

 

The guy was clearly in the state of shock. To be honest, he was just imagining how good it will be if he could kiss her soft plump pink lips. He never expected that his body worked faster than his mind, thus making him do the impulsive.

 

Sunny stared at him in disbelief. Her eyes went from 'what's happening' to 'what the heck did he do'.

 

She got up from the floor and dashed to the door. Yanking it opened, she run through it, and out the apartment.

 

"Sunny-ah!" Taeyeon yelled after her. She was about to chase her when somebody held her back. Kyuhyun looked at her and shook his head.