Chapter 2

Twister

Hi guys! Sorry for the hold up. I got busy during Christmas, so I can't update. By the way, this is just a short update. Hadn't had time to really write. But I will try to post the next update soon enough.

 

By the way, be sure to leave your thoughts about this chapter.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

Sunny was standing in front of her lecture hall when her phone vibrated. She fished the device out of her jeans pocket to see an unknown number sent her a message.

 

Do you have any afternoon classes?

 

She frowned at the screen. The unknown sender didn't write his name on the message. Thinking it was a wrong message, she pushed the device back to her jeans pocket, only to feel it vibrated not long after.

 

She pulled out her smart phone once again, struggling with the stuff she was carrying in her hands. It was another message.

 

Sorry, I forgot to type my name before. It's Sungmin, btw, in case you lost my number.

 

She frowned even deeper.

 

Weird, she thought. Should I reply, should I not?

 

The girl of small stature was fiddling her smart phone in her hand, before she finally decided to just stash it inside her backpack and walked to the cafeteria to get her lunch.

 

The dining hall was already full with students by the time she arrived there. She took out her phone once again to ask Taeyeon her whereabouts, while making her way to the food corner she'd like to eat at that time.

 

Her phone vibrated when she was queuing. She took it out and unlocked the screen. She saw Taeyeon's reply, saying that she would be there soon and they would have lunch together. Sunny nodded approvingly.

 

Looking at Sunny, the onlookers might think that she was a cold unfriendly person, seemingly uninterested to socializing around. The truth was, she was a friendly person and she had many friends. However, it was when she broke up with her boyfriend that she started to change. She became reversed, only allowed certain people to enter her zone. Taeyeon and Tiffany were one of the few.

 

She was looking around the cafeteria to find a table with tray in hand when suddenly somebody called her from afar. She turned her head to find Sungmin waving to her.

 

"We have some empty seats here," he yelled. His voice boomed over the noisy dining hall.

 

Sunny contemplated for a while before she finally made her way to his table. The other tables were either full or consisted of circles she didn't know.

 

He was sitting with his group, in other term, his housemates. Kyuhyun, Changmin, Minho and another one from different department was there. As she was walking, she tried to remember what Taeyeon said about his housemate of different department's name was. Sometjing started with Y. Yesung perhaps?

 

"Hi. You're having lunch alone?" Sungmin asked cheerily as Sunny put down her tray of fpod on the table in front of him.

 

"Um... Taeng's supposed to be here anytime. She got hold up with project group selection," the latter answered awkwardly. Aside from the last time gathering, she never really talked to that group, except for Sungmin who was once her project parter.

 

Sungmin nodded in return, while Sunny was starting to spoon her food and chew it slowly. The four other persons on the table kept chattering, ignoring the two stiff-looking pair next to them. Sometimes playful curses came out of their mouths, making Sungmin shook his head for he thought they should have acted better with a girl on their table.

 

Sunny was looking down at her plate when Sungmin motioned his head, sending signal that they should better leave them two by now.

 

"Oh, you don't need spectators, do you? How about cheerleaders?" Kyuhyun made intentionally made an obvious remark.

 

"Shut the up, dude." Sungmin snorted as he was throwing his last piece of boiled brocolli to Kyuhyun, whom managed to dodge.

 

It hit Changmin instead, and the lanky guy threw it back at Sungmin, smirking. It hit right on his head.

 

"Yah!"

 

"Alright. Bye you two," Changmin excused himself to the pair. He stood up abruptly from his seat fearing that the older guy would take revenge in a more extreme way.

 

"See ya, hyung," said Minho while he too was exiting the scene.

 

Yesung merely nodded his head as if he didn't care. Yet, after a few steps, he grabbed Minho by his neck, came close, puckering and twitching his lips, mock kissing him. The much taller guy got the hint, thus he responded the same way, leaning closer and mock kissing his hyung back.

 

Sunny face-palmed herself mentally upon seeing such scene, yet she kept her cool. She grinned calmly at the rascals. Sungmin in the other hand, was groaning in annoyance as he was face palming himself. He quickly peeked through his fingers and stole a glance at the pocket-size girl beside him, checking on her expression and trying to figure out if she was okay about the teasing.

 

"Sorry 'bout them," he apologized when he found Sunny was chewing her food, seemingly unfazed about the previous scene.

 

"S' kay. I'm cool," she responded, smiling a little at him.

 

He nodded his head in relief, yet he couldn't help to feel a bit dissapointed with her lack of response. He secretly wanted her to blushed and being shy, not displaying her cold and indifferent stance like she was.

 

"By the way, why didn't you answer my text?" He asked.

 

Sunny was quiet for a moment, racking her brain for some reasonable excuses. But she went with an honest answer in the end. "I don't know what to answer."

 

Sungmin silently cursed. Man, they are right. This is going to be tough.

 

"Perhaps you can answer with 'yes' or 'no' for a start?" he suggested. A confident smile was plastered on his face.

 

"Hmm.. That is not what I mean," she replied.

 

"So?"

 

Sunny raised one of her eyebrows. Why is he being so persistent? Who does he think he is? My brother? My boyfriend?

 

The petite girl huffed loudly. "I didn't feel the need of replying to you."

 

Her tone was rather vicious and she could no longer hide her annoyed expression on her face.

 

"Ouch," Sungmin interjected. Weird enough, he was slightly grinning even after the obvious rejection.

 

Sunny's face contorted into a more annoyed look. This guy must have a twisted mind. What's with the amused look on his face?! Is he a screwball? Is he a psycho?

 

She munched twice faster, hoping to finish her lunch before her ex-project partner started to do anything odd. She was half-cussing under her breath that her best friend didn't come up like she promised to, although the lunch time was almost over.

 

She dreaded the time that seemed to go real slowly. She barely could stand the awkwardness hanging between them, especially with him looking at her intently with a grin that never faded off his face.

 

Stuffing the last bite of food inside , she quickly grabbed her paper cup soft drink and stood up.

 

"Gorrago. Crhass," she mumbled incoherently since her tongue could barely move thanks to the large last bite.

 

With that, she fled of the cafeteria abruptly, leaving the dazed Sungmin on the table.

 

***

 

"He what?!" Taeyeon exclaimed in disbelief. The juice she just sipped spurted a little. "Oggling you blatanly?!"

 

Sunny nodded her head, watching her friend wiped clean with her palm. She raised her legs and sat crossing them on the cushy couch. "I think he is a psycho. He's scary, you know. So now, stop talking good about him, okay."

 

"He's not a psycho, Soonkyu," Taeyeon stated.

 

"Then what should you call somebody who were intently watching you while you were eating, as if you are his prey? Plus with a foolish grin that makes me want to throw food at him?"

 

Taeyeon paused momentarily, smirking in a split of second before she responded to her shorter friend, "He might be weird, but he's not a screwball, and definitely not a psycho, okay."

 

"What's up with you? Why do I feel that you're on his side instead of mine? Are you his friend or mine?"

 

The latter sighed, "I just want you to try meeting new people, Soonkyu. And be sane."

 

"Yah! What do you mean? I'm always sane!"

 

"Yeah, you're right, and I can reach the top shelf in the library," Taeyeon said cynically. She got of from the couch and went to the sink to wash her mug.

 

Sunny turned quiet at the remark. She couldn't think of any rebuttal comment. Losing the argument, she got off from the couch too and walked to the direction of her room.

 

"Whatever. I'm going to shower," she declared as she entered her room to get her toiletries and towel and went inside the bathroom.

 

She spent a good half an hour under the running hot water, savoring the warmth on her skin. That was a pure bliss after being in the cold weather outside. Add a sweet scent of flower from her liquid soap, all the pressure and stress from whichever causes were subsided.

 

It was when she came out of the shower that she heard her short pal was having a conversation on the phone inside her own bedroom. However, the door was wide opened, so she could clearly see that she was pacing back and forth in front of her bed.

 

"Yah! Your friend scares the hell out of her. Seriously, do it properly, can you?"

 

Taeyeon were listening the other party intently, before she sighed, "I know. Then you should act as a better advisor."

 

She turned quiet once again.

 

"Alright. Alright. I'm trying," she said as she spun counter-clockwise on her spot which made her realize for the first time that Sunny was leaning on her door frame in her bathrobe with a look on her face.

 

Taeyeon was caught off guard. "Aah... Y-you'd better let her borrow your y red dress, honey. You know, the one I like so much. That surely will make his heart beats frantically like mine is every time I see you wearing it."

 

The straight hair girl mouthed "Tiffany" to Sunny while leaning awkwardly on her desk.

 

"Yes . Yes. See you soon, honey," Then she cut the phone call, threw it on the bed and sat down on the soft mattress in a rather awkward position. "Yes?"

 

"Who's that? Fany?" The shorter of the two inquired.

 

"Ah, yep. F-fany," Taeyeon answered nervously.

 

"Why are you stuttering, Kim Taeyeon? You hide something, don't you?" Sunny walked into Taeyeon's bedroom one step at a time threateningly.

 

"I-I'm not! What are you talking about?" Taeyeon was cowering. "It was just Fany. She is helping... Minsun to hook up with Jongwan."

 

Sunny raised her eyebrows as she was stepping forward still. "Since when are you interested in playing matchmaker? I thought you think it was being to meddlesome."

 

"I-I do think so. It's Fany."

 

"Sure thing?" Sunny's knees bumped unto Taeyeon's.

 

"S-sure thing."

 

"Just you watch, Taengoo. If you try something silly, you know what you'll get." Sunny threatened her. She flicked Taeyeon's forehead as she finished talking.

 

"Yah! Lee Soonkyu!"

 

However her midget friend had went in to her own bedroom and she was left on the bed, rubbing her warm and reddened forehead.

 

***

 

"Huh? What do you mean?" Kyuhyun was confused. "Sunny's there, isn't she?"

 

"Yes . Yes. See you soon, honey," hissed Taeyeon from across the line, and it went beep beep afterwards.

 

"Honey, eurgh. Taeyeon? Taeng? Yah!" He cussed. "This kid. How dare she is to hung up on me?!"

 

The tall guy made his way to Sungmin's room. Opening the door with a bang, he barged in, "Hyung!"

 

"Yah! Don't you know how to knock?!" Sungmin yelled back. He was scrambling to cover strewn glossy papers on his bed under the soft pink coverlet.

 

"What's that?" Kyuhyun asked curiously.

 

"It's nothing!" Sungmin denied. "Don't come close. Stay at the door."

 

"Why?" asked Kyuhyun as he was dashing to his hyung's bed and lifted up the thick blanket.

 

"Yah!"

 

There it was. Tens of photos of Sunny, taken candidly when she was eating, when she was waking with her friends, when she was on the administration office, and many more.

 

"Hyung!!! You're the worst! Aish, you're like a stalker. No, in fact, you are already a stalker!" Kyuhyun jeered as he was picking up a photo.

 

"Hey, I'm not!"

 

"Yes, you are, hyung! Seriously, you're hopeless." The younger one mocked him. "Taeng just called me. You gotta act normal starting from now on should you want her to fall for you."

 

"Huh? You mean?"

 

"I mean, stop taking her pictures like a desperate stalker and stop staring at her like a psycho."

 

"What?! When did I-?"

 

Kyuhyun dropped his body on the springy bed. He picked up another photo and threw it at Sungmin. "You stared at her intensely when we left you two in the cafeteria. It scared the hell out of her, you know. Seriously hyung, you'll never get her if you continue to act like that."

 

Sungmin face-palmed himself. "What should I do then?"

 

"Act normal! Is that hard?"

 

Sungmin sighed. "You don't understand. She is too appealing that you won't be able to turn your eyes elsewhere but to her."

 

"The effect only works on you, Hyung." Kyuhyun stated matter-o-factly.

 

Sungmin sighed again.

 

"Remember, hyung. You want her; act normal and cool then." The lanky guy advised him before he got up from Sungmin's girly bed and made his way out of his bedroom.

 

"And you might want to change your bed sheet and bed cover. She'll run if she sees your girlish bed set," Kyuhyun yelled from outside.

 

***

 

Recommendation:

By the way, I am now enjoying this fanfiction by smilingangel : Switched

If you are on my twitter, you know how I am head over heel with this story :)