piano pieces

blind melodies

Seunghyun P.O.V.

"And here we have the park! Did you like the tour?" Xiumin asked when we entered the small park.

I didn't have any. Xiumin gave a great tour, only highlighting the things I was interested in. 

He was a sweet guy, we walked slowly and took small breaks regulary because eventhough I just had coffee, I was dead on my feet.

"Tell me something about yourself. I know nothing about you except your name. Just don't give me your age and stuff, tell me who you are."

"Well, i'm in the wolf house, which is for musicians and I play piano. I don't have any other hobbies, so that's about the only thing I do all day.

When I was twelve, I got a tumor in my bain. It was taken out, but it had already damaged my brain in such a way I lost my sight. I never got it back, so... yeah, I'm blind."

I was shocked. He didn't seem blind at all! He just walked around, never bumping into people or stuff like benches. "How do you not bump into people?! You walk around like you can see everything perfectly!"

"In the beginning it was hard, but I've memorized the campus. I know where every bench is and how I have to walk to most places. When I got blind, my hearing improved a lot so I can hear people walking towards me. I also have a photographic memory, but instead of remembering everything I see, I remember everything I hear."

"Could you play for me once? I'd like to hear you play."

He took me along to the wolf house. He explained that the walls were isolated better so there were less problems with the noise. I met a few of his housemates.

There was Baekhyun, who was an amazing singer, Tao, who looked cute with his panda eyes but was a martial arts master, and Daesung, who played guitar and could sing with the voice of an angel.

"Where are Kris and D.O.?" Xiumin asked his housemates. "Kris is playing basket ball and kyung hyung is buying food. But I have to leave for Wushu practice, see you later!" Tao told us as he grabbed a bamboo stick and left.

Xiumin then pulled me upstairs to the music room and took a seat behind the gleaming, black piano.

The piece he played was captivating. The sad melody radiated hopelessness, fear and the feeling of being lost, like drowning, but slightly different.

"Wow, Xiumin... That- that was beautiful!" I complimented him. He asked what I thought it was about.

"It's like... feeling hopeless and scared, but also being lost, almost like the composer tried to turn the feeling of drowning into music." I awnsered honestly.

"You're close. Very close actually. That about being hopless, scared and lost is absolutely right.

I wrote this piece a month after I lost my sight. It's how I felt back then all the time, because I wasn't as good at finding my way as I am now. It's also the piece I played to get into this school actually."

Xiumin must be really strong to just sit here and tell that. The piece he played sounded so depressed... I'm glad he found his place here.

Suddenly some one else, Xiumin introduced him as Lay, came in and asked of Xiumin could play the piece he wrote for his music exam last year.

This piece was calmer, happier. I could almost hear the rustling of leaves and flowing water in the soft notes. I immediatley knew what it was about and when he asked me when he finished I awnsered:

"It's the little creek in the park that you showed me. The place where no one else ever comes." He smiled brightly and told me I was right.

Suddenly I let out an enourmous yawn and a new wave of tiredness crashed into me so I went back to my house after saying goodbye to Xiumin and his friends and crashed in my bed, not even considering eating dinner.