Chapter 1

Otra Vez

 

   He stood there, fiddling with his fingers nervously as he waited. His eyes darted to the left where he saw his mother who smiled back at him in encouragement. He glanced at his best man, Lay who placed his hand on his shoulder and flashed a dimple at him, trying to calm him down. The door opened, Pachelbel Canon was played as the bride entered and walked gracefully across the aisle in a red, draggy dress. Her face was entirely covered however due to his traditional-freak mother's request.

     "If anyone can show just cause why this couple cannot lawfully be joined together in matrimony, let them speak now or forever hold their peace"

Silence overwhelmed the entire hall as guests looked over themselves. As the priest was about to proceed with the ceremony, the door was opened.

     "I object!"

Gulps and gasps could be heard, scrutinizing eyes followed as the person further step forward towards the couple. Moreover, because it was a child. A little girl.
As she got near enough, she raised her head and looked at him with teary, pleading eyes.

    "Ap..Appa..."

He opened his eyes to find himself on his bed, he sighed out of relief and got himself up just in time when his bedroom door flew open to reveal his petite mother. She looked surprised at first, but then her lips curved into a smile.

    "Oh, you have woken up? Hurry up and wash up, we have a suit fitting today"

She said, placing a towel on her son's neck, directing him towards the washroom while she go on making his bed. He went to shower, without any arguments, half-heartedly. He looked at his own reflection while brushing his teeth, thinking about his dream. Was it a sign?

 


   He descended downstairs and caught a glimpse of his mother preparing breakfast at the kitchen. Making his way towards her, he hugged her from the back, halting her of her movements.

     "Mother, why do I have to get married?"

The woman froze, but quickly regained her composure and gently releasing his hold on her, asking him to sit. He sat down, eyes never left her. She placed the sandwich she was making earlier in front of him, gesturing for him to eat as she headed back into the kitchen, resuming her work. The rest went by in complete silence.

 

 


     "What the hell, Luhan. I told you not to be late!" Yi Lin muttered in a slightly high tone.

Luhan who was still panting from his run earlier, looked at her apologetically and uttered a slow sorry. However, the girl his fiancee just rolled her eyes and dragged him inside the boutique.

     "I think this will look good on you. What do you think, Luhan?"

She glanced at him, holding a white suit up for him to see, hoping at least a glint of reaction from the guy.

      "Luhan?"

Luhan was pulled out from his daze when he was shaken quite harshly.

     "Ummm...yeah?"

Yi Lin pinched her temples and threw the suit on the rack. Her patience were already thinning and Luhan's ignorance completely did the last blow to it. She glared at him and got even angrier when the man was out of it again.

     "You know what! Forget it! You can go home yourself! See if I care!"

She yelled in frustration and stormed out of the boutique. And that's how he even got here at the first place.


   Panic. Confusion. But mostly it was pure fear running through Luhan's blood as those men, all dressed in black lead him to a goose chase. He tried to lead them to the wrong way as he looked for a way to escape but strangely they always managed to find him back. Sweat started pooling on his back, his heart was beating so fast as he gasped for air, his legs never stopped running. He didn't want to imagine what would happen to him if they ever stopped. What could have happen if he surrendered and let those guys take him. The slight thought of that made him shudder as he ran and ran through the all unfamiliar surroundings to him.

He guessed luck wasn't on his side when he tripped over a rock and landed straight on the road right on his face. The pain was a bit on the unbearable side but it was nothing compared to what was waiting for him. He was surrounded by them, sitting there helpless while those men grinned in pure bliss, finally getting their prey. Luhan crawled into a ball, burying his face, too scared to even look at them in the eyes as they went closer and closer to him. He was waiting for it to come. The pain. But it never came. Instead, he heard a pained moan from one of the guys. Uncovering his face, he was utterly surprised to see a mere 5 year old little girl already in a stance of throwing a pitch, her face annoyed and angry.

     "Stay away from him! Or I'll throw this at you again!" She shouted bravely.

The guys scoffed. "Why you little-" They came nearer to her instead.

      "Help! Help! Someone, help!"

The people might have heard her scream as the sound of footsteps appeared not long after that. Realizing that it may not be a clever move to fight against those people, they decided to retreat but not after smacking Luhan's head.

     "We'll deal with you, later"

That left Luhan in a daze, that was broken when the young girl helped him to get on his feet. She smiled brightly at him, making his fear lessen a little, if not more. Luhan couldn't help but to grin back at her.



   The girl took him to a closed Ddeokbokki stall and asked him to sit on one of the chair while she brought out a Powerpuff Girls' band aid from her glittery bagpack that looked like it was too big for a petite girl like her. Smiling, she carefully pasted it on the scratch on his right leg he did not even notice it was there. He winced at the slight pain but smiled as soon as she lifted her small head and patted the closed wound lightly, gently blowing on it as she imitated what she remembered her mother always do whenever she got herself hurt. She pulled another chair and sat beside him.

      "You are bigger than my mother, why did you let that guy hurt you?" She asked, blinking her eyes curiously.

Luhan sighed.


     "I was afraid of them. They are bad"

     "Don't worry. I will tell my mother to hit them if they are bad to you again"

Luhan stared into the younger girl's eyes, searching through those innocent orbs. He then held out his hand, making the girl startled.

     "I am Luhan. What's your name?"

The girl grinned.

    "I'm a five year old Luna. Aing!"

She flashed an aegyo at him as the closure of her introduction.

    "Hey! Me too!"

    "You're lying! You are bigger than me, how can you have the same age?"

     "I'm not lying!"

    "You are!"

    "I'm not!"

 


   The mid-thirty woman kept pacing around the house, one can't really determine whether she was worrying or just keeping herself from lunging towards a certain girl out of anger.

     "Aaauntie..."

The woman just shrugged the girl's hand off.

     "I'm disappointed in you, Li Yin"

Li Yin kept her face down, looking at anywhere except the woman's face as her guilt continues to consume her.

     "As the who knows better, how could you leave him there? What if...oh...what if anything happens to him?"

     "Mom, she's his fiancee, not a babysitter. Besides, he knows those area. It wouldn't take him an ounce of effort to hail a cab here"

A voice descended down the stairs, completely nonchalant as he dropped to a sofa and the television. Ignoring the fuming woman, he focused his attention on the pretty anchor lady who was on the news. That was until he was shoved to the door by the woman, along with the girl who was now dumbstruck by her actions.

"I don't want to know how, but you two ain't staying in the house when Luhan is still out there. Find him!"

She was about to slam the door on their faces when a car flashes its light and went into the porch, with Luhan inside it. A tear struck her face as she rushed towards the car, taxi, and saw Luhan already paying the fare, bidding the driver goodbye. She was stoned to the ground.

'Luhan?'

A childlike grin formed on the boy's lips.

"Mom~!"

She was taken aback when she was suddenly engulfed by the slightly taller boy. She slapped his back.

"Where were you? We were so worried! What if something happen? What happen to your leg?"

Luhan was about to mention the incident earlier but hesitated when he caught a glance at the girl who was lowering her head all the time. He drew out a breath.

"It's nothing"

Yi Lin pulled her head up at Luhan's words, obviously surprised at how easily those words slipped out of his mouth. He was just like...

'Why didn't he just tell what happened earlier?'

She looked on as the two went into the house with the boy excitedly jumping around, recalling at how he met a new friend earlier and her heart sank deeper. Why are you doing this?

"You're only making this harder"