Chapter 34

Mr. Eye Smile

           Jong Kook stands up and walks away. Kyung Min tried to stops him. “Jong Kook-ah…” he said when he holds his shoulder but Jong Kook just glares at him. Kyung Min knows that look. He was really mad like crazy. He let him walk but then Jang Hyuk runs and faces Jong Kook.

          “Hit me…Just hit me now…” Jang Hyuk said. Jong Kook controls his temper. His jaw tightens.

          “Get out of my way…” he said firmly.

          “I won’t…I know I’ve been such a bastard…and I’m so sor--…”

          “GET OUT OF MY WAY BEFORE I FORGET THAT YOU ARE MY FRIEND~!...” Jong Kook shouted. If he loses his temper now, he doesn’t know what will happen anymore.

          Jang Hyuk moves then Jong Kook walks away.

          “Jong Kook-ah…” Jang Hyuk calls him but he didn’t turn back.               

          “Let him be Jang Hyuk-ah…” Kyung Min said to him. He was so worried to Jong Kook. He shouldn’t be driving in that state.

~~~~~~~~~

          It was already 12 midnight when Jong Kook arrives home. Everyone is already sleeping. He went upstairs then came in to Eun Joo and Hyun Woo’s room. They were sleeping so peacefully. Tears started to fall from his eyes. He loves Hyun Woo so much.

          Jong Kook kisses Hyun Woo’s forehead and also does the same to Eun Joo. Just then Eun Joo wakes up.

          “Appa…”

          Jong Kook immediately wipes his tears. “Ne my angel…” he said.

          “What’s wrong Appa?...Are you crying?...” Eun Joo asked.

          “Aniyo…I just got something on my eye…that’s why…Go back to sleep…Good night my angel…Saranghae…” Jong Kook kisses her.

          “Good night Appa…Saranghae…” Eun Joo said and closes her eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~

          Morning, Kyung Min is sitting on the sofa while waiting for Jong Kook in his office. He is so worried about him. He’s not answering his calls.

          He took a deep sigh. Then Jong Kook came in.

          “Here’s Hyun Woo’s tooth brush…” Jong Kook said and gives him the tooth brush. “DNA test will answer all of my confusions…” he added. He still feels so down. He can’t even look at Ye Jin that morning.

          “Araseo…I’ll come back with the result…” Kyung Min said and leaves.

~~~~~~~~~~

          *Pohang…*

          “Oh...” Ji Hyo got so excited seeing Joon standing on his own. “Waaa…Very good Joon-ah…” she added and holds his hands.

          “1…2…1…2….” Ji Hyo smiles seeing her Joonie steps with his little toes.

          Sang Wook came in. “Waaaa…Joonie’s walking…” he said amazed.

          “He’s cool right?...Joonie jjang~!...” Ji Hyo said. “Hold him…I’ll check the food…” she said and went to the kitchen.

          “Ji Hyo-yah…” Sang Wook calls her.

          “Ne~…”

          “I saw the man who came on the store…I know I have no right to ask you anything…Is he the one you’re talking about?...”

          Ji Hyo told him everything. Sang Wook was like his older brother. When rumours spread that she got pregnant without a husband, Sang Wook was like a fire fighter who rescue her. He was always there for her.

          She can’t response to his question. She just focuses on her cooking.

          “I’m right?...He is Joonie Appa…”

          “Ne~…”

          “Just as I thought…”

          “He thought we were a family…He was glad for me…” Ji Hyo smiles but tears started to fall from her eyes. “Oppa…What should I do?...Everyday I keep thinking about him…I kept thinking of how it will be if we were all together…a family…It would be really nice…I don’t want to hope…because I know it’s not going to happen…but I can’t stop myself…I miss them so much…” Ji Hyo cries.

          Sang Wook felt so sad for her. He treated Ji Hyo just like her own sister. He fills in the emptiness inside his heart. He has her own sister but she died from a severe sickness. He puts Joon to his crib and walk towards Ji Hyo.

          He pats her back and Ji Hyo puts her head to his chest.

          “If I could just take away the pain Ji Hyo-yah…” he said sincerely while patting her back.

~~~~~~~~~~

          Kyung Min came back with the result of DNA test. He gave it to Jong Kook. He opens it and slowly pulls up the paper with the result. ’99.9% Match’ the result says.

          “Jong Kook-ah…”

          “How could they do this to me Kyung Min-ah?...What did I do wrong?...Why?! Why?! Why?!...” he said frustrated. He stands up and plans to leave.

          “Please calm down Jong Kook-ah…”

          “How can I calm down??!!...Tell me…How can I?...”

          “Just don’t let the kids see you like that…especially Eun Joo…Please…just for her…compose yourself…”

          Jong Kook just looks at him and leaves. He went home.

          “You’re here…Are you hungry? I’ll pre heat the food…The kids were already sleeping…” Ye Jin said to him.

          “I’m not hungry…” he replied coldly. He went upstairs and came straight to his room.

          Then Ye Jin follows him and brings him water. “Here…”

          “Just put it there…” he said. He can’t even look at her. He was so mad.

          “Do you need anything?...Just call me if you---…”

          “PLEASE! Just get out~!...” Jong Kook shouted and glares at her. Ye Jin was so flustered. “Oppa…” she just said.  

          “Stop acting like my wife…because you were not…” he said firmly.

          Ye Jin was so confuse why he was acting this way.

          “It’s now or never…Would you explain this to me?...” Jong Kook gave her the envelope of the DNA result. Ye Jin open it and her knees started to get wobbly. “Do you know what I’m talking about now Ye Jn-ah?...You fooled me…I’m not Hyun Woo’s Appa…It was Jang Hyuk…”

          “Oppa…I can--…”

          “Don’t try to even talk…Please…because I had enough…” his jaw tightens.

          “I just love you so mu----….” Ye Ji didn’t finish because Jong Kook punches the mirror behind her. Ye Jin fall from her knees. She was so scared.

          “I told you don’t talk…You were sick…You’re so selfish…You didn’t even thought Hyun Woo… I really hate you…You liar…” Jong Kook said with anger. He left with his bleeing fist. Ye Jin just cried.  

~~~~~~~~~~

          Jong Kook doesn’t know where to go but then he finds himself walking in front of RM restaurant. Jae Suk is the only one left. He is already closing the restaurant.

          “Hyung…” Jong Kook said.

          Jae Suk turns. “Oh Jong Kook-ah…Why are you here?...Were already close…” he said then notice Jong Kook’s right hand. It was bleeding. “What happen to  you?...” he asked. He opens the restaurant and he let him in. Jae suk notices that Jong Kook doesn’t look fine at all. He looks so down. 

          “Just sit there…I’ll get the first aid kit…” Jae Suk said and walks to get the kit.

          Jong Kook sits on one of the chairs. Jae Suk sits towards him and treats his hand. He puts a bandage after.

          “Jong Kook-ah…What’s wrong with you?...”

          “Hyung…I…I don’t know…what to do anymore…I feel so dumb…I feel so empty…I’m lost…” he said with his sad voice and tears fall from his eyes.

          “I won’t understand you if you’re not going to say what happen…”

          Jong Kook just shakes his head like saying he doesn’t want to say it. He keeps on thinking Hyun Woo. What will the child react is what he worries.

          “Jong Kook-ah…” Jae Suk is worried.

          “Thank you Hyung…I’ll be going…” he said and stands up then walks away.

          “Take care of yourself…Just go home already…Araseo…” Jae Suk said to him. Jong Kook just turns to him and smiles a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~

          Two days passed, Jong Kook turns off his phone. He was no where to find. Kyung Min thought that he will be in Pohang but when he called the hotel he wasn’t there.

          He went to RM restaurant. He really needs to talk to Ji Hyo. He got the feeling that Jong Kook will be around her.

          “Kyung Min Hyung…What will you eat?...” Haha asked him.

          “Haha-yah…Please I really need to talk to Ji Hyo…” he said straight.

          Haha narrowed his eyebrow. He was confused. “But Hyung…”

          “Please…Jong Kook was missing…He wasn’t answering my calls…He turns off his phone…We can’t contact him…”

          Haha got nervous too so he dialed Ji Hyo’s number and it got connected.

          “Ji Hyo-yah…Kyung Min wants to talk to you…” Haha said and handed the phone to Kyung Min.

          “Ji Hyo-yah…I know I should not talk to you nor contact you anymore…but if you saw Jong Kook there please let me know…something happens…and if you see him alone…don’t leave him not until I come…I think he was in the state where you saw him for the very first time…Please Ji Hyo-yah…I ask you this…”

          “I understand Oppa…” Ji Hyo replies and the call ended.

          “What happen to you Oppa?...In that state?...” she said in her mind. Ji Hyo got so nervous. He was in a suicide state that’s what Kyung Min is telling her.

~~~~~~~~~~

          That night, Ji Hyo went to the sea side. She doesn’t know but she keeps on thinking that he might be there if he was really here at Pohang. She left Joon to Sang Wook.

          She was walking then she saw him, sitting on the sand looking at the sea. Kyung Min was right. Jong Kook looks like how she met her for the first time. She stops walking and just looks at him.

          Then Jong Kook stands up and walks to the ocean. Ji Hyo keeps on looking at him but she was so nervous. It was like before. When she can’t find him anymore, she jumps to the water and saw him. She helps him and brings her into the sea side.

          She pumps his chest and does a CPR. It was her third time when Jong Kook’s got conscious. He opens his eyes and saw Ji Hyo in front of him. It was like the tie stops. They just keep looking at each others eyes.

          “Mee chee nom(crazy bastard)!...” Ji Hyo hits his chest and stands up. “What are you trying to do?!...Are you trying to kill yourself again?...Haven’t you think about Eun Joo?...” Ji Hyo shouted at him. She was so scared that Jong Kook will never wake up.

          Jong Kook stands up also and looks at her. He can’t even believe she was in front of her. He wasn’t responsing to her.

          “Just go home now…” Ji Hyo said and walks forward but then Jong Kook talks.

          “I…miss you…always…” he said that makes Ji Hyo stops.

          “Go home…” Ji Hyo said.

          “What should I do Ji Hyo-yah?...” Jong Kook said with sadness in his voice. Ji Hyo turns to him and saw the sadness into his eyes. “I really want to kiss you right now…” he added looking at her eyes. Jong Kook counts into his mind. “If you won’t turn your back at the count of 3…I won’t stop myself Ji Hyo-yah…1…2…3…” Jong Kook said in his mind. Ji Hyo didn’t turn her back.

          Jong Kook steps forwards to her. He bridges the gap and kisses her lips. All the longing, the love, He kisses her with all of him.