Prologue

Bewitched

Loud voices were heard inside the castle as the servants scurried in the halls. They ran and ran and searched and searched. The morning sunlight glinted brighter upon the gray walls. The stained glasses from the windows flickered colorfully as birds chirped on branches in the courtyard.

The castle gates lifted up slowly, and he settled on his horse. His guardian/caretaker frantically ran out onto the courtyard as he prepared to take off.

"Prince Seunghyun, please stop! You aren't familiar with the geography here, and you'll get lost inside the forest!" The old man pleaded with the free-spirited prince as the latter petted his horse fondly.

"Oh calm down Riego. I'm not going to get lost. When did I ever get lost? Besides, it's boring here. I want to explore and see some interesting things."

"But your Majesty, what about the princess? And the King and Queen..."

"Screw the princess. That snobby girl can play with her hair all day. And my parents are used of me leaving anyway."

"But..."

"See you later Riego." With that, the Prince flew out of the castle with his horse leaving a trail of dust behind.

Riego sighed as he looked at the Prince's retreating figure. That wild and curious personality never changed even when he was already at marrying age. Always exploring and in search of new things, the Prince always gave Riego a scare whenever the latter went out.

Wait a minute, didn't the servants say there was a witch inside the forest the other day?

---------------------------

She waded between the waves of people milling in the bazaar. The sunlight filtered brightly, making her squint her eyes underneath her hooded robe to see the way. The stone road extended into more and more vendors as it led straight into the castle far far away.

As she walked, she looked at the bustling activities of the town. The bazaar was a lively place, filled with noises and people and all sorts of interesting things. The displayed goods inside the vendors always manage to catch her attention and sometimes, she bought one or two souvenirs just for fun.

Her basket swayed gently in her hand as her robe fluttered gently with the wind.

"Hey Green Witch! How's it going?" Manir, the butcher, called as he put up a piece of meat on display.

"Good. You?" She smiled as she replied.

"The usual. Want to buy some beef? They're really tender and juicy today."

"Maybe later." She called, and kept on walking. Some people smiled at her and even said hello in recognition as some others lowered their heads and kept walking.

Yep, just a witch's normal trip to the town. 

The children ran in the streets, shouting gleefully as they play with their wood figurines. The women hollered at each other, gossiping and chatting as they hung their clothes up or advertising their wares.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a loud commotion was heard ahead. She heard scuttling and the sound of horseshoe clanging upon the road as the people suddenly dispersed out from the center of the road. She herself backed up against the side of the road as she looked to see what was going on.

A man riding on a horse swept through the road in a flash, picking up dust and making her robe fluttered violently in the breeze. She looked on as the man disappeared down the road, riding as if a monster was chasing him.

Geez, some people. He's lucky he's fast, or else she would've make him fall off his horse with a flick of her fingers.

She shook the dirt off her robe as the activities on the road returned to normal. She proceeded on her way amidst the noises and crowd of people.

She turned to a small alley, and went into a small shop.

"Oh hey! How's my best friend doing today?" Hyori greeted as she went out from behind the counter.

"You know the usual. Herbs and brews and spells and oh god cleaning." She rolled her eyes as she thought of having to clean her little house in the forest.

"I'm sure the mice wouldn't be happy because of that." Hyori smiled as she pulled out a chair for her to sit down.

"Yeah well, they have the whole forest to live in." Hyori chuckled at the witch's answer. The woman poured some tea as they sat and talked.

"I brought you some herbs today. They were just all over the forest."

"Gosh you're spoiling me. Lord knows you should keep them and use them yourself." Hyori smiled as she received the basket full of fragrant leaves.

"God no. I have cabinets full of them at my house; they'll only get gnawed by the mice if I stacked more." She replied as she sipped her tea. Hyori put her basket aside as she leaned forward.

"Have you heard?" Hyori asked, making Bom look up.

"Heard what?"

"About the princess's marriage, of course." Hyori said matter-of-factly, forgetting the fact that the latter lived in the forest.

"Marriage? Since when?" Bom asked without much interest as she pulled off her hood.

"The King and Queen are preparing it right now. Word is, another prosperous kingdom's prince asked for the princess's hand in marriage. She agreed and the grand wedding is to be happening soon! If the  marriage takes place our kingdom will benefit greatly."

"Yeah?" Bom said distractedly.

"Rumors also say that...that the Prince is extremely handsome!" Hyori swooned as Bom frowned at her questioningly. "They say he's really nice and charming and smart and good looking and...." Hyori seemed to flustered for words as she fanned herself.

"Uhhhh, I think you're a little bit too old to be swooning over the Prince." She said in vain as Hyori continued with that dreamy look in her eyes.

"Oh can't you just imagine how lucky the Princess is? Living inside the luxurious castle all her life and now marrying such a dreamy man. Oh how I wish..."

Bom started laughing at her friend, causing the latter to pout at her.

"What?"

"Oh Hyori you're still too wishy washy. You know sometimes I mistake you for a little girl."

"Is that so? Well excuse me for wanting to have my own happily ever after. What about you? Don't you dream of finding your true love?"

"Hyori I'm a witch. Witches don't find true love. It's in Witch Code 101."

"Oh baloney! You know you fantasize about meeting a charming man and falling in love at first sight." Hyori said, her voice trailing off dreamily once again.

Bom just smiled and stood up. 

"Hey where are you going?!" Hyori asked, snapping out of her trance.

"I'm leaving you alone to your fantasy. I'm sure three's a crowd." She answered as she walked out of Hyori's shop with the latter pouting at her. Bom only smiled and shook her head as she went down in the opposite direction that she came from.

Prince? True love? Oh please. She thought as she pulled her hood on.