Ever After Part 1

Bewitched

Siwon sat directly across from her at the wooden table. After her shocking escape from the throes of death, she directed him to ride to Hyori's shop because she was sure the royal guards would come after her at her house in the forest.

"Here," Hyori came out with a tray in her hands, "Have some tea." 

She silently nodded, feeling the warm beverage patching up her dry throat as Siwon watched the visible rope marks on her neck move. still felt suffocating, as if something was jammed inside. The burn left by the rope still reminded her of that moment  when her mind threatened to turn blank and her heart ceased its beating.

She could still remember that split second, when she tried to turn her eyes towards...him.

As if she was expecting him to save her.

"Are you okay?"

Siwon's voice broke her depressing trance. She looked down before smiling slightly at her savior.

"Yeah," she pursed her lips, "Thanks for saving me."

Siwon only nodded, acknowledging her appreciation.

"I can't believe you almost got killed!" Hyori started. "What on earth is wrong with them?!! Can't they even see what's right and what's not?! That lying serpent Jiyeon..."

"That's not important right now." Bom sighed, pouring another cup of tea. "We have to think about where I and. Siwon will run to. We can't stay here forever and get you in trouble."

"What about Seunghyun?"

Siwon's sudden mention of the man who constantly haunted her mind took her aback, but she regained her composure.

"What about him?"

"You know, why didn't he try to save you? I thought..." Hyori inquired, but was cut off.

"It doesn't matter anymore. He's with Jiyeon now." She said curtly, closing the subject before her mind had the chance to elaborate.

"Don't you think it's strange?" Siwon said. "As far as I know, he hated Jiyeon like the plague up until the day of the ball. What made him change his mind so easily? He isn't the fickle type..."

That was what I thought, her heart lamented bitterly.

"Maybe...he finally woke up. He finally realized the regal princess was a better deal than the scary witch." She stared at her hands, which still glowed faintly due to her magic. "Maybe he finally found where he belong..."

Her musing was cut off when Siwon suddenly grabbed her by the shoulders firmly and reassuringly.

"Bom," he looked straight into her eyes, "Jiyeon will never be half the person you are. I'm sure that's why Seunghyun loved you and was ready to defy my father and give up everything. Look at me, I'm a Prince who just committed treason...for you."

He tenderly hugged her, the warmth so comforting and accepting that she started tearing up. Maybe if this man arrived a bit sooner, she wouldn't have been in this much pain.

But that was a twisted way of thinking. She wouldn't have traded her memories with Seunghyun for anything else in the world, even if they were the cause that almost triggered her demise. 

"Bom," Siwon inquired again minutes later with a contemplative expression, "you know a lot of spells, right?"

"Yes. Why do you ask?" 

"Is there any particular spell that..." Siwon tried to find his words, "causes a person to feel a particular way? Like...love?"

She frowned, "A spell that triggers infatuation?" 

"Something like that, yes."

"Well," Siwon and Hyori stared at her expectantly. "There's one called Bewitchment. It enables the caster to have the heart of whoever they desire. But true love isn't possible, and the person's will can break the spell. But like any spell, it's not easy to break."

"Do you think," Siwon spoke, "that it's possible for Jiyeon to have used that on Seunghyun?"

"That would explain why he just suddenly kisses the ground she walks on!" Hyori declared.

She thought about the possibility. Jiyeon was in her house after all. If the woman happened to stumble upon her secret storage, then it was very possible that Jiyeon could've stolen it and used it for her own purposes.

"If that's the case, we have to return to the castle and help my brother." Siwon stated flatly, leaving no room for objections. Bom was about to say something, but then she couldn't deny that a part of her wanted to see if his actions were really just the spell. And that somewhere in his heart, suppressed by the spell, were his sincere feelings for her.

Besides, he's the brother of your savior. Her mind was trying to grasp any excuse she could.

"We'll think of a plan tomorrow. For now, let's..."

Siwon's suggestion was interrupted by loud footsteps coming from the front of Hyori's shop. There was clanging noises of metal armor that indicated who their guests were.

"Who's the owner of this place?!" A loud voice bellowed.

"I'll hold them off." Hyori hurriedly whispered. "Get out the back door!"

Siwon grabbed her hand and started running out the back door. Siwon's horse was left in front of Hyori's shop, and when they got to the street the royal guards were already there interrogating the townspeople. Bom could see the guards holding a paper that was probably a warrant for her and Siwon.

"This way." Siwon pulled her into an alley, and before long they were on another street that was still full of guards. They silently crept in between corners, sneaking through alleyways, until one particular guard detected their movement. They hurriedly ran into several alleyways, but then ended up with a dead end. A wall stood before them, and she could hear heavy footsteps upon them both.

"Come on." Siwon suddenly lifted her up by her waist, and her hands reached out to grab the top of the wall. She lifted her leg and climbed over to the other side.

"Siwon, give me your hand!" She extended her arm.

"Run!" Siwon said, and remained where he was. "I'll wait for you at the castle!" 

"You can't stay here!" She yelled. "It's too..."

She didn't finish before Siwon reached up to peck her lips. His hands went in her hair and pulled her green ribbon, setting her hair loose. He tied the ribbon on his arm, and smiled at her. 

"I'll be fine. Now go."

She reluctantly hopped down to the ground on the other side, and when started hearing shouts and grunts, she ran wishing for Siwon's safety.

-----------------------------------------------

Pants and moans filled the room as Jiyeon laid on top of Seunghyun, kissing him fiercely and aggressively. After a few moments, his arms released her waist and lightly pushed her off his body. 

"What's wrong?" Jiyeon asked as she watched Seunghyun stand up and went over to the window.

"It's nothing...I...That red haired woman..." He stared out the window. "She keeps..."

"Keeps what?" Jiyeon's voice was icy. The mention of the witch was enough to put her on edge.

"Nothing." Seunghyun sighed, and touched his forehead. "I'm not feeling very well. Can you let me be alone please, my dear wife?" 

Jiyeon clenched her jaw and stood up. She opened the doors and looked back at Seunghyun.

You're living on borrowed time, Park Bom. I'll make sure you can never have him.

--------------------------------------------