The Ball

Bewitched

"You remember what I told you, right?" Seunghyun questioned Riego for the nth time, who climbed up on the driver seat of the carriage reluctantly.

"Your Highness, don't you think that the Majesty would...."

"Just do what I told you to." Seunghyun cut his caretaker off. If he cared about what his father and the others thought he wouldn't do something like this in the first place. " he suddenly leaned in to Hurry up. The ball will be starting soon."

Riego inhaled deeply before he pulled on the reins and kicked the carriage into motion. Within moments of the castle gate's lift, the carriage with Riego on it slowly disappeared down the winding road into the distance.

"Be here soon, Park Bom." Seunghyun whispered, before he smiled and excitedly skipped through the halls of the castle to prepare himself for the big engagement ball.

Little did he knew, Jiyeon was quietly watching him from her windows. A cold, yet anticipating smile appeared on her face as she thought about what she was about to do. She turned from the windows, walking to her table where two glasses of luxurious red wine sat. She fished out the pink potion in her pocket and smiled devilishly as she held it up in her hand.

"Cheers, Prince Seunghyun."

-------------------------------------------------------

Lovesick? Was that what she was?

No. No way. It must have been the frog's intestines that she used this morning.

Yet, from time to time, she found herself humming as she looked longingly out the windows into the lush green forest. From time to time, she found herself smiling at the birds perched on the windowsill that cocked their heads curiously at her.

From time to time, she thought about him.

What was he doing? What was he thinking about? Did he think about their day together as much as she did? 

Did he really love her?

Did she really love him?

All the questions and the emotions were an overwhelming riptide that pushed her down to the chair and made her ponder as she stared out the windows. What was this feeling in her heart? They say once you got a taste, you just want more and more and more.

Just like how she was. She denied. She fought. She struggled. But all of her resolutions crumbled that day when he smiled at her with his mouth full of grilled fish. All the limits and walls she built were smashed soundlessly. Like an addict, she kept hanging on that one thought of him all day.

uhhh, Bom? Aren't you forgetting something?

The princess. Jiyeon. The woman who threatened to have her hanged if she even so much as look at Seunghyun. When the female found out about their escapade together she was going to be furious. 

Yet it wasn't really the thing that she was concerned with. Nor was the fact that Seunghyun and Jiyeon were still getting married. Was this who she was turning into? A selfish, immoral witch who went around and stole princes from princesses? She looked at her hands, and she could feel the surge of power there rising inside her veins like adrenaline. She could move mountains. She could call up a tsunami. She could control everything the way she wanted to. 

But when it came to her own heart, she was clueless.

A knock at the door made her jolt to reality, and she hurried over to open the door. Behind the door was a middle-aged man who looked rather anxious. 

"Hello, Miss Park Bom?" He asked her. She glanced behind him to see that he came in a decorated carriage.

"Yes, that's me. Can I help you?" 

"The Prince," He wiped sweat off his forehead. "Seunghyun wants to invite you to his engagement ball. He sent me to you to the castle with this carriage."

She blinked in surprise. Then she remembered what he mentioned the other day before she cut him off. 

"The ball is starting soon, Miss." The man urged, and she smiled at him.

"Can you give me a moment please?" He nodded, and she closed the door before she paced around. 

What should she do? Should she really go? What an uproar her appearance would make! She could be in great trouble with the royalties. She could be....

All of the negative thoughts were somehow discarded when she thought of the fact that she would see him. It did hurt her that it was his engagement party, but something urged her to go. She just needed to see him. She just needed to....figure out if the feeling was really love.

Making her decision, she stood still before closing her eyes and snapped her fingers loudly. In a flash, she was wearing a vibrant red gown fit for a party hosted by the King and Queen. She opened the door, and stepped outside.

"Let's go." She said to the middle-aged man after taking a deep breath.

------------------------------------------------------

She already felt nauseous as she stepped down the carriage inside the grand courtyard of the castle. Nobles and majestic-looking people were all around her, and it looked as if not only the nobles indie the kingdom were invited. The chatter of excitement and the pretty floral decorations all around made her even more nervous. Suddenly, she wondered what on earth she was doing here.

Maybe it would be a good time to back out now, she mused as uneasiness filled her stomach. She strangely felt as if something was wrong, and reluctantly turned back to walk home. But her feet had their own minds, and they carried her forward into the courtyard into the halls until she was standing at the entrance of the grand ballroom. Countless knights and guards stood rigidly as she strolled in, taking in all the magnificence of the royal ballroom. 

She stared in wonder at the huge glass chandelier among the intricate carvings and decorations in the ceiling. The walls were painted a beautiful color do red and black. The furnitures looked exotic and the ornaments seemed like they were alive. The carpet was lush and soft, even though she was wearing heels. On the far right of the ballroom were a grand double grand staircase that led to a balcony overlooking the entire room. She was guessing that the royalties used it as a podium.

She walked awkwardly among the crowd of people, due to the fact that she did not know a single soul in the room. Everyone was milling about talking and laughing. Ladies were fanning their faces demurely. Couples were slowly twirling around in the middle of the room.

A servant offered her a glass of wine, and she took it. Leaning against the wall, she quietly observed and looked for Seunghyun.

"May I have this dance?"

She turned to find a masked man bowing down with his hand extended. Flustered, she put down her wineglass.

"N...no thanks." She said as the stranger looked at her.

The man suddenly smiled and took off his mask. opened when she saw who it was.

"You...you are..."

"Prince Siwon." He curtsied gentlemanly. "Seunghyun's brother."

No wonder. She could still remember Seunghyun's fight with this man during the Knight Competition.

"Your Majesty. Pardon me, I..." 

"It's fine. You can drop the formalities." He smiled easily before leaning against the wall next to her. "Did Seunghyun invite you here?"

"Yes." 

"He was always faster than me." Siwon chuckled, but then his tone suddenly turned serious. "You know he's engaged to the Princess right?"

"Y....yes."

"Then why are you here? You're placing your life in danger! Do you know what the King and Queen will do if they find out?"

The thought did cross her mind.

"I....I have to talk to Seunghyun." 

"Do you love him?"

The question caught her by surprise. Did she? 

"I......"

"Here comes the Prince and Princess!" A knight announced loudly, hushing everyone in the room as Seunghyun and Jiyeon walked into sight on the high balcony. They were dressed grandly, and both had happy smiles on their faces as they waved to the cheering crowd below. He whispered something into Jiyeon's ear and she laughed, and it was the very picture of a royal couple about to get married. Seunghyun suddenly leaned to kiss Jiyeon, and the crowd cheered deafeningly. The sound of the crowd might as well have covered the sound of Bom's heart cracking.

"I'm sorry everyone. I got a little bit too...caught up with my beloved wife." Seunghyun smiled to the crowd as he lovingly draped his arm around a giggling Jiyeon. "Thank you everybody for coming to our engagement ball. I hope you all have the night of your lives. Here's cheers to me and Princess Jiyeon's eternal love!" 

He raised his wineglass, and the whole room raised their glasses in unison. She couldn't do anything except staring blankly at the couple. 

What was going on? 

What a silly question. They were engaged, of course they needed to look good in front of public. Yet somehow, something told her that wasn't really the case. Seunghyun looked genuinely content as he smiled at Jiyeon, and somehow he looked like he was in love with the female. They disappeared from the balcony together, leaving the room back to its bustling festive activities.

"They look so perfect together!"

"Tell me about it! He looks totally smitten!"

"When will I be as lucky as Jiyeon?"

Ladies around her chatted excitedly, yet she just looked down and felt a sorrowful emotion wash over her. 

"Are you okay?" Siwon asked, concerned. 

"I...I'm fine." She wiped a tear off her face.

Witches don't get happy endings.

"I told you he was engaged." Siwon said, looking at Bom. "At first I thought he didn't like Jiyeon, but I guess..."

"It's fine. I knew. I just....accepted his invitation to see how he was doing that's all."

What now? She foolishly fell for it, and foolishly dived head first onto an attachment to someone she couldn't have. Why did she believe it could be different anyways? Why did she soften her resolve when he looked at her with his  mischievious brown eyes?  Why was she even here? Why did he invite her? Was it to tell her that he chose Jiyeon after all? That after spending a magical day with her was his way of deciding if he should choose her or not?

"I need some fresh air. Excuse me." She said hurriedly to Siwon before walking briskly out the grand doors.

-----------------------------------------------

She strolled in the garden, trying to clear up her emotions and clear her head. But the more she thought, the more painful it got.

Maybe it was the first night they spent together. That day when she first found him injured in the forest and took him home. Maybe it was at that moment when they smiled at each other over the crackling fire that she started to feel love. 

She looked up, and there he was standing not very far away near a fountain. Blindly, she followed her own feet and approached him.

He turned when he sensed her presence, and a scowl appeared on his forehead.

"What are you doing here?" He asked gruffly, making her feel intimidated.

"I just wanted to..." She swallowed the lump. "Congratulate...."

"How did you get in here?"

"You invited me..." 

"Why would I invite a horrendous witch like you to my engagement ball?" 

The statement hit her hard like a wall, and she quivered under his cold eyes. There was nothing but pure repulsion written on his face.

Do you really hate me so?

"What is it, Seunghyun?" 

Jiyeon's made her turn. When the female saw her she only gave Bom a dismisive smile.

"What are you doing with someone like her dear?" Jiyeon said sweetly, leaning on Seunghyun chest as his arms wrapped around her. 

"Nothing. The mere sight of her irritates me." He caressed Jiyeon's face. "Guards!"

Tears fell down her cheeks, and she stood there immobile as the knights grabbed her arms.

"Take her away." Seunghyun said.

"She'll be tried for witchcraft and treason for trying to seduce the Prince." Jiyeon added before the guards dragged the heartbroken red-headed witch away. The sight of the couple blurred in her eyes as everything soon faded away into darkness like a bad dream.

---------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

I HAVEN'T WRITE NOTES IN A WHILE BECAUSE I WAS PRETTY LAZY AND BUSY BUT HERE I AM!!!

A HUNDRED SUBS?!?! ERRRR MAH GAWD THANKS SO MUCH YOU GUYS! YOU MAKE ME FEEL SO HAPPY AND LOVED. THANKS Y'ALL FOR THE SUPPORT AND KIND FEEDBACKS. I ADMIT I'M A LAZY FOR NOT REPLYING TO COMMENTS BUT THAT DOENS'T MEAN I DO NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK, SO KEEP THEM COMING BECAUSE I LOVE READING THEM.

ALSO, I AM HONORED TO ANNOUNCE THAT I HAVE BECAME A REVIEWER IN WINTER WONDERLAND SHOP BY THE LOVELY YodaYeol. IF ANY OF YOU NEED A REVIEW JUST GO THERE AND REQUEST FOR ME. I BELIEVE YodaYeol IS DOING THE LAST BATCH BUT JUST REQUEST FOR ME AND SHE'LL PUT YOU ON THE LIST.

ONCE AGAIN, THANKS GUYS. SEE YA SOON!