Come back, come back to me

The Originals

Come back, come back to me

 
Sehun awoke to fluorescent lights, they were bright- almost blinding. Oh and he also felt like but that could be ignored for now. 
 
Because he made it, sixty percent chance and he made it. Adrenaline and excitement suddenly coursed through his veins, his head was throbbing so badly he thought he could possibly pass out any minute. But he was an alive, functioning, breathing human being for the time being and for once he was grateful for the pain that he was experiencing because now he knew he was alive- what’s more he wasn’t left in a defunct, damaged or vegetative state. 
 
Yes there was a lot to be grateful for today. 
 
He managed to sit up slightly, wincing as his headache became more prominent from the movement. He glanced in the mirror and did a double take. 
 
What the . 
 
What the actual . 
 
Why did his hair look like he’d been vomited on by a parrot, and why were his eyes a shocking gold colour, he gasped more as his eyes turned purple. Maybe he was slightly damaged but it wasn’t the worst thing that could have ever happened to him. He could get used to he he thought some more. Yes he really could get used to it. He was in awe of colours anyway, perhaps it was them that saved him. 
 
“Oh, Sehun you’re awake” Joonmyun’s father spoke surprising him, “Well done- the procedure was very successful” 
 
“Yeah well, thanks for not killing me” Sehun muttered 
 
“I know you don’t like me that much Sehun, and I understand that, I really do- I hate myself everyday for what I am doing to you poor kids, but it’s my job and I must do it” 
 
“Why though?” Sehun asked, he wasn’t angry or anything he just wanted to know. With a population of 10 billion people they were spoiled for choice- why pick a puny, skinny 14 year old who’s only talent was predicting the weather. 
 
“Sehun, I want you to know that first and foremost I am a doctor. I am not here to purposely hurt you. I’m just trying to save humanity and you twelve little boys are our only hope in doing so” 
 
“I’ve thought about it for a while now” Sehun mused from his makeshift hospital bed, “I’ve always wondered, why did it have to be me, why are you basically torturing us. At first I hated you, I probably still do a little bit. I don’t think I’ve forgiven you yet, but I get it, I understand. Forsake a few to save the galaxy. The world’s a dangerous place now isn’t it?” 
 
“The galaxy is a dangerous place, as of this minute- we only have ourselves to blame for this mess. We should have stayed out of the war, defeat was inevitable when they have superior and advanced technology. Our forces had no hope of stopping them” 
 
“Them?”
 
“We call them ‘the alliance’ I guess- they’re a group of alien species who’ve been causing havoc over the centuries, they only made it to the milky way a few decades ago and they’ve already begun to wipe out thousands of other worlds throughout the galaxy” Joonmyun’s father looked so broken and for some dammed reason Sehun could feel himself finding compassion for the man opposite him. He was alone in the world giving up the love his only son had for him in a last ditch effort to save humanity. It was tragic really, because in Sehun’s eyes even if they make it through this torture alive- he didn’t think that they would be able to save it. 12 pubescent boys against an ominous alien army they didn’t stand a chance. 
 
“Do the others know Dr. Kim?” He asked 
 
“No,I tried to tell Joonmyun when he was first selected, I wanted him to understand how much it pained me- how much we were both sacrificing for something much bigger than ourselves. I didn’t do this to my only son out of my own free will, the government forced me to” Dr Kim looked down “I thought I could keep him safe because I was in charge of the project, I thought I could make sure he was as free of pain as possible- of course it didn’t work they still try drown him every single day. So I can’t blame him for hating me, it still breaks my heart though”
 
“With all due respect doc.” Sehun began “I think the reason all this hate exists between us is because of this secrecy, I’m fairly sure most of the boys think that we’re just being tortured for research when really it’s something bigger than that. They’re not stupid they know something is up- Luhan especially, it’s driving them mad. They’re angry because they’re constantly in pain and have absolutely no idea why. They’re all brave and selfless people too so I’m certain if they knew why you’re doing all of this there would be less of a divide between us and you, there would be less ice between you and Joonmyun” 
 
Dr. Kim smiled “For the youngest of your group you’re very mature, they chose wisely didn’t they? Perhaps you’re right, I don’t like the secrecy any more than you do. i have to ask though, with such risky survival chances do you feel any resentment now that you know why?”
 
Sehun smiled softly “Like I said, I don’t think I can forgive you yet, but I think eventually I will- if I survive that is”
 
“You know I try my hardest to make sure you all live” Dr. Kim replied smiling nervously before looking down at his clip board “Your post-op readings seem fine, blood pressure is normal, however, we did have a minor complication during the procedure- harmless but you might want to know why your eyes and hair are colour shifting right now” 
 
“Yeah an explanation would be lovely” 
 
“You were obviously thinking about colours when you slipped into the anaesthetic, because of that the DNA changes I made caused a mutation in the hair and eye colour genes- they are constantly being replaced and this will occur for the rest of your life. You do have control of it though. Through your mind- if you want brown hair you’ll have brown hair if you don’t control it then it will just change randomly” 
 
“Interesting” Sehun murmured “It’s okay though, I like colours anyway”
 
Dr. Kim chuckled a little “Come see me if you need anything but I must go- Luhan’s be waiting to see you ever since you came out of theatre” He paused at the door way “Sehun take care of Joonmyun for me- please” 
 
“I will don’t you worry Dr. Kim” 
 
——
 
“Luhan he’s awake” Joonmyun gently shook Luhan who was sleeping by the door “He’s fine, in perfect condition- he looks a bit different but that’s all” 
 
“oh no” Luhan shrieked jolting awake “he doesn’t look like frankenstein does he?”
 
“Who’s frankenstein?” Joonmyun frowned “No his hair and eyes just change colour now that’s all”    
 
“Oh thank god” Luhan smiled “Can I go visit him yet?” 
 
This time Joonmyun smiled “Yes, yes otherwise I wouldn’t have woken you up” 
 
Luhan jumped up with anticipation as he began running towards the make shift hospital room his heart beating a million miles per hour. 
 
His Sehun was alive, against all odds he was alive.