Twist # 2

Twisted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Spring 20xx

Seoul, South Korea

 


"Appa, Umma?" A 12 year-old Bom called the attention of his mother and father with a tilt on her head. They are currently having a picnic near the Han River.

 

"Yes darling?" Bom's mother turned to her with a smile all the while putting food in their plates.

 

Leaning back her head, she gazed at the blue sky with sad eyes. "Is it really impossible for me to have a younger sibling?"  She knew the answer already yet she still grasp on the hope that maybe if she asked again there will be a change, a miracle if she dare say.

 

Bom's parents stilled. Her  mother's smile faltered so as her father. It took a few minutes of silence before somebody moved. Her father took her mother's hand and together they smiled ruefully at her.

 

"Y-yes my dear. You heard what the doctor said right?" 

 

"Yes. That you're barren."

 

Again, silence enveloped the Park family. They knew how their only daughter craved for a sibling by the way she always eyed enviously at other families. Both parents muttered their apologies to their daughter with a sorrowful sigh.

 

All of a sudden, Bom lurched forward and threw her arms around her parents. She embraced them tightly in hopes to lighten up the sad atmosphere that she created.She forced a wide smile on her face before pulling away to look at her parents.

 

"It's okay mom! I understand! Even if I can't have a sibling in blood, I still can have in other terms right? C'mon let's eat!"

 

Both of her parents smiled at her with contentment marring their faces.  They watched how Bom digged in the food and munched happily. "We really are lucky to have an understanding daughter like hers."



It was one spring day when their paths crossed each other.

 


"Umma! Appa! I'm going to buy that steamed corn juseyoooo!" Bom jutted her bottom lip while battling her eyelashes to her parents. A few moments ago, a kid passed by their side with a steamed corn on his hand. Her eyes roamed the area to spot the seller of corn. Once she spotted it, she instantly informed her parents.

 

"Aigoo okay go buy! But remember not to eat too much okay?"

 

"Yes dad! Only one stick! I'll be back in a jiffy!"



Bom ran towards the man selling her forever favorite food corn.  She was happily munching on it when she noticed a commotion not far away from her. Her eyes looked at the scene curiously and she gasped when she saw a frail beggar kid being beaten by a bunch of older beggars. With her sense of justice kicking in, Bom immediately dashed to help but the guys had run already. Apparently, those guys stole the poor boyfs food and alms. 


Seeing that no one tended to the bruised boy, Bom took a step forward and approached the curled-up boy.Her heart clenched upon seeing the emaciated body of the boy in a closer look. Not only that, visible scars, bruises and wounds accumulated his whole frail body.


"Are you alright?" Bom crouched down at the trembling boy in front of her. She tried to touch him but the boy swiftly jerked away from her in fear and shivered more.



"A-ah I'm sorry." Bom mumbled apologetically, slightly hurt by way the kid reacted.



The boy then slowly lifted his eyes to look at her in shock. Bom was drawn in an instant to the doe-like eyes of the boy as well as his pretty face despite the dirt and mud on him.



"Woah! You're so cute! For a boy, you had a prettier face than mine!" She happily commented all the while clapping her hands. 



The boy titled his head in confusion.

 

"I said your cute!" Bom repeated but the boy kept on staring blankly at her.

 

"Aing, never mind me! Here here take this! Oh wait! Stay there! I will be back!" Bom gave the boy her steamed corn and fled back to her parents to get more food. 

 

The boy looked down at the steamed corn that was given to him for a few seconds before attacking the food. After a minute Bom was back and she was shocked to see that the corn that she gave to the kid is already halfway done.

 

"You must really be hungry. Here! Eat this all up!" 

 

Bom then handed out her lunch box to the boy. It's supposed to be her food but she knew the kid needs it more than her. The boy stared at the lunch box in disbelief. He pointed to himself as he unsurely peered at Bom. 

 

"Yes yes! It's yours go eat!" Bom enthusiastically said. Without further ado, the boy hogged out the meal in front of him.



Bom gaped at the speed of the boy in eating but then eventually smiled upon finding the kid's messy eating cute. She stared at the kid and observe his features. He has brown doe-like eyes that speaks a thousand words, a wavy brown hair that almost covers his eyes and a milky complexion despite the bruises in his body. An idea suddenly popped up in Bom's brain. Could this kid be God's answer to her prayers? Her thinking was cut off by a growl coming from the kid's stomach. 

 

She looked at him with eyes wide as a saucer and pointed at the now empty lunch box. "Y-you're still hungry? B-but..."

 

The boy blushed and hung his head low. A slight pout can be seen on his lips making Bom laugh at the cute action the kid did.

 

"Worry not! We brought lots of food with us. Come with me! " Bom smiled and gestured the kid to come with her.



The boy opened his mouth to reply but no sound came out. He tried and tried to voice out his gratitude but it only led to the welling of tears in his eyes because of the stabbing feeling in his throat. Bom finally got the hitch. She patted the boy's head albeit he still flinched away.



"You don't need to force yourself to speak okay?" She gave out a gummy smile that awed the boy. He didn't know that there are people who can smile brightly like that.  For the first time in his bizarre life, someone aside from his father gave him a look and a smile that is not fake nor creepy. It is all genuine and spe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter