[day 1] and then they went camping

Lazy days

wowee so many of you still want all the drabbles!!! a side note that they won't all be christmas themed because i probably don't have enough creativity to write that many lmao ok everybody put your santa hats back on and pretend it’s December because we doing this

 


I’m writing this in a tent!! Sehun and Jongin went to get some firewood so they let me have free time. We went fishing and I caught a big one. I didn’t even fall in the water this time, yay!

 

“Joonmyun,” Jongin announces, turning around to look behind him as Sehun reverses their car neatly into a spot between a motorbike and a four wheel drive, “look, we’re here!”

There is a light snore from the back seat; the catboy is still fast asleep, arms curled around his favourite plushy.

“…Joonmyun?”

“Shh, let him sleep,” Sehun chides. He turns off the engine and stretches his arms, stiff and sore from the long drive. The joints in his fingers crack and he gives his hands a loosening shake. “Let’s get the stuff, he’ll probably wake up by himself.”

 

“Joonie, not that way,” Sehun gently reminds him.

“…Waa?” Joonmyun looks around him in confusion, not realizing that he’s been steadily wandering away from his owners in his sleepy state, and re-orients himself in the right direction. If he weren’t holding his sleeping bag and Sehun wasn’t carrying their belongings and Jongin wasn’t loaded with their tent gear he probably would have asked if he could hold one of their hands.

Their camping space is small but it’s decent, with lush green grass that Joonmyun promises to himself that he’ll roll around in tomorrow, room for them to pitch their tent and even a little burned patch where the last occupants had started a campfire.

Joonmyun wakes up after Jongin sneakily feeds him sweets behind Sehun’s back. He gets tasked with building the campfire and happily gathers sticks and kindling into a little pile, stacking them all up and stuffing dry leaves into the gaps. By the time he’s done, Jongin and Sehun have finally managed to pitch the tent.

“I’m hungry,” Joonmyun pipes up, pulling on the sleeve of an exhausted Sehun’s shirt. “Can we eat food now?” His stomach growls embarrassingly loudly and Sehun laughs at how cute he is, crouched on a stool they’d brought along and holding his arms over his tummy.

“Okay,” Sehun agrees, getting up to light the fire. “I’m hungry too.”

Jongin threads all the sausages onto metal skewers for them and they stick them into the flame. Joonmyun looks sadly at his sausage when it comes out a little bit blacker than he had wanted it to. Sehun takes it from him and offers his own cooked one, stifling a smile at the way Joonmyun glares at the campfire, his kitty ears flattening against his head threateningly.

“Open up, Joonie. Say ahhh…”

They sit around the crackling fire until long after the sun sinks below the horizon. Moths flitter around the last of the embers and a cricket chirps away quietly in the grass.

“…So every time he eats a cat, its ghost must follow him forever,” Jongin is saying in dramatically hushed tones. He grins when Joonmyun clutches his bottle of milk so hard his fingers go white, skittling away from Jongin to huddle under the safety of Sehun’s arm. “They call him the One Hundred Cat Man, but every year his army of ghost cats… gets bigger.”

“Does he eat kitties like me?” the catboy whispers fearfully from behind Sehun’s broad shoulders.

Jongin nods sagely. “Always the cute ones first.”

Joonmyun shrieks and flees into the tent.

Sehun rolls his eyes at his boyfriend’s antics. “I told you this wasn’t going to be a good idea,” he grumbles. He stands and picks up the bucket to fill with water for putting out the fire and kicks Jongin in the leg on the way past. “Stop laughing. Get in the tent and see if he’s okay, you idiot.”

Jongin wipes at the tears streaming down his face. “He’ll be fine,” he wheezes, sitting himself upright. “Can’t possibly be worse than last year’s Halloween shenanigans… I’ll bet you he’ll be up first thing in the morning ready to go fishing.”

 

Joonmyun actually does wake up before them. He seems to have forgotten about the serial cat-eater story from the previous night, instead bouncing off the walls of the tent in excitement and patting Jongin’s face and pulling at the hem of Sehun’s boxers and getting dressed all by himself so his owners don’t have to do it for him.

“Kitten, it’s not even nine o’clock,” Jongin groans, after rolling over to check his watch. He feels Sehun stick an arm out of his sleeping bag to shove at him.

“But you promised we would go fishing,” Joonmyun pouts, his lower lip wobbling as he gives Jongin his biggest puppy eyes. “Please?”

They end up down at the river eventually, after Sehun s his sleeping bag, squeezes Joonmyun into it and cuddles him for another hour (or two, because then Jongin wants to cuddle Joonmyun too).

 

“Oh!” Joonmyun’s eyes widen as his fishing line suddenly tugs hard, nearly jerking out of his hands as the fish on the other end starts thrashing madly. “Help me, I got a fish!”

Sehun reels it in for him and Joonmyun proudly watches it swim circles in the bucket of water. It’s tiny compared to the others Jongin and Sehun caught but that’s okay, because small fish go with small catboys.

Sehun lands one more before they decide they’ve got enough to feed them for lunch and call it a day. Joonmyun carries the bucket of fish back to their tent and continues peering at them, kitty ears twitching with curiosity and tail swishing from side to side. He covers his eyes when Sehun drains the water, de-scales and guts the fish and lines them up on the grill Jongin’s prepared over the newly-restarted campfire.

Joonmyun helps set out some plates and cutlery before hopping into Sehun’s lap so he can watch the fish sizzle and spit, the wonderful scent wafting through the air. The kitty in him yowls and he sniffs hungrily at the grill.

“I’m going to dribble,” he whines at Sehun, who laughs and pets him affectionately. Luckily he doesn’t have to wait much longer until Jongin’s presenting him with his fish, nicely charred on the side and slightly steaming, sprinkled with a dash of sea salt. The catboy blows on it gently before taking a bite and squealing at the deliciousness.

The three of them polish off the fish with gusto and lie on the grass with full bellies, basking in the warm sunshine. The earth is soft at their backs and Joonmyun feels sleepy.

“What are we doing later?” he mumbles. He yawns and burrows further into Sehun’s chest, his tail sneaking around his owner’s waist.

“Go for a walk down the river?” Jongin suggests. “There’s a bit of scenery there, and a paddock not too far away on the site. We’ll wake you up before we go.”

“Okay,” Joonmyun says, yawning again, eyes fluttering closed. Now’s a good time for a quick catnap.     

 

 

/posts this as i eat my birthday cheesecake/