[day 7] and then they sailed on a ship

Lazy days

ahh thank you to the wonderful subs who suggested some prompts/requests!! if i can i'll try to get through them and answer your individual comments, but there are quite a few of those requests that i've already planned to write as a full chapter and not a drabble. as for idk i feel like i've been writing so much fluff that ??/ how to write that anymore??? but then i remember that this entire AU was born from a pwp and i am 99% done with myself.


Jongin won a trip to Jeju Island. Sehun’s being a party pooper because he doesn’t want to go but since there’s only two tickets he said I can go with Jongin. We’re going to take a ferry there but I’ve never been on a ship before… I really hope I don’t spew.

 

“Hey Jongin, there’s something for you.” Sehun’s sorting through their daily mail during breakfast, separating the envelopes into letters, bills and circulars.

Jongin hands a piece of toast to Joonmyun. “What is it?” he asks. Sehun passes it over. Jongin opens the nondescript envelop, unfolding the paper inside. Two more slips of paper fall out, narrowly missing his bowl of cornflakes. “Dear Kim Jongin, you have won a weekend away for two to Jeju Island…”

Sehun’s interested. “How did you win that?” he asks.

“…Appreciate your support for our cause! We hope you enjoy your prize and thanks once again!” Jongin looks up, recognition flashing across his features. “There was a girl in one of my classes selling raffle tickets a few weeks back. I bought a ticket and just forgot about it.”

“Oh, right. Damn, if it was for three people then we could all go...”

Joonmyun picks up the tickets that had fallen out of the letter. “Look, Jongin,” he says excitedly, pointing to the picture of a ship floating on water. “It’s an overnight cruise on a boat! Are you going to go?”

The blood drains out of Sehun’s face. “He is now,” he replies, cutting Jongin off in a suddenly strained voice, “and you’re going with him.”

Joonmyun’s eyes widen in surprise. “Really?” he gasps, at the same time Jongin starts laughing obnoxiously for some odd reason. Joonmyun’s not so sure about the cruise. “But I’ve never been on a boat before. Is it fun? Sehun, how come you don’t want to go?”

Jongin snorts, his shoulders shaking with mirth. Sehun shoves toast into their catboy’s mouth before he can ask any more questions.

“If you tell him,” Sehun warns his boyfriend, red-faced, “I will gut you.”

“Don’t you mean throw up your guts?” Jongin asks, and Joonmyun is totally lost now. He continues eating his toast, imagining all the cool things he’s going to do with Jongin once they get to Jeju Island. He’s still a little bit sad that Sehun can’t come with them and he sets himself a mental reminder to find out why later, when Sehun’s not around.

 

“Mr. Kim, welcome aboard! Please follow our stewardess to your cabin and make yourself at home. If you have any requests, all you have to do is let us know.”

“Thank you.” Jongin steps onto the cruise ship and turns around for Joonmyun, who he knows is probably still standing on the dock nervously. He is.

Joonmyun holds his tail in one hand and stares at the bobbing set of steps. “Jongin, help,” he squeaks, stretching his hand out for his owner to take.

“Don’t worry, you’re not going to fall off,” Jongin chuckles, bending down slightly. He can hear the stewardess behind him stifle a giggle when the catboy’s lower lip starts to wobble. “I’m right here and you’re holding my hand. Don’t forget there are people waiting behind you too.”

Joonmyun flushes in embarrassment at the thought of others seeing him cry in public. He’s already done it at the café, the vet’s, the supermarket and especially at the adoption centre. He takes a deep breath and charges straight on board, barrelling into Jongin’s arms and burying his face into his sweater.

“I’m sorry I’m a big baby,” he sniffs, feeling tears prickle at his eyes.

Jongin drops a quick kiss on the top of his head. He lets the catboy go and tugs on his hand. “It’s okay, kitten,” he whispers, and Joonmyun feels like he’s got the best owners in the world. “Let’s go and find our cabin.”

 

Out of all the things he had thought Joonmyun would be, a sea kitty is not one of them.

Jongin spends half of his steps stumbling around, having to hold onto the rails and walls and everything else around them as the ship sails, and Joonmyun just zooms up and down the deck like he’d been born at sea. It must be his feline genetics, Jongin realizes, that was lending the catboy his natural balance and agility. He narrowly avoids walking into a haughty lady and apologizes profusely. Joonmyun decides to hold hands until the latter obtains his sea legs.

They spend some time exploring their floor, visiting the karaoke and the arcade before Joonmyun insists on going up to the top deck to see the ocean.

“Jongin, look, seagulls!” he squeals, pointing at the white birds cawing in the air above them. Jongin takes the catboy’s hand and leads him to a safer spot on the deck where they hopefully won’t get pooped on.

“Jongin, I can see the island!”

Jongin’s been able to see it for a long time.

“Jongin, I saw a dolphin!”

Jongin’s not even sure there are dolphins in these waters.

“Jongin, I’m hungry.”

Well, it’s almost dinner time and Jongin is too. “Let’s go and find some food,” he says, and not even a second later Joonmyun’s clutching his hand again and leading him through the halls. The catboy pauses every now and then to sniff the air, tracking the delicious scents to the on-board restaurant.

“Burgers,” he mumbles all the way there, and they order burgers to eat.

 

“Jongin, I can’t see.”

They’re back outside again on the deck, this time under the cloak of night and a smattering of stars in the sky.

“I can’t see anything either,” Jongin says, but it’s okay. The deck is mostly empty, the majority of the passengers seeking shelter inside. Jeju Island is a faint outline in the distance and the atmosphere is quiet, filled with the soothing sound of the ocean and the tang of sea salt in the air. Jongin wraps his arms around the catboy watching the moon’s reflection on the water and jerks back slightly at the temperature of Joonmyun’s skin. They’ll never hear the end of it from Sehun if Joonmyun gets sick, and it would ruin the whole weekend away too.

“Kitten, I think you should go inside before you get any colder,” he says worriedly. Joonmyun nods in agreement, the tip of his nose already turning pink. They retreat to the cozy warmth of their cabin and Joonmyun invites himself into Jongin’s bed at the suggestion of going to sleep early.

“Or we could have some fun and a later bedtime,” Jongin suggests with a waggle of his eyebrows. “Would they mind if these sheets got dirty?”

 

“Jongin, can I ask something?” Joonmyun pipes up. He lifts his head off Jongin’s chest, still dazed from his post- bliss. Jongin ruffles his hair affectionately, wondering what the catboy possibly wants to know.

“Go on.”

“How come Sehun doesn’t like ships?”

Jongin chortles and pets his kitty some more. “Promise me you won’t tell him?”

“Promise!” Joonmyun wraps his tail around his owner’s wrist in imitation of a pinky promise.

“Alright then. When Sehun and I started dating years ago, I thought I’d be romantic and book us a cruise on a ferry so we could spend some time together. But did you know, Joonmyun, that Sehun gets seasick?”

The catboy’s mouth hangs open. “Oh. Oh….”                                     

“It wasn’t his fault and even now he still won’t take my word for it… but he accidentally threw up on me and refuses to acknowledge that it ever happened.”