[day 5] and then breakfast was made

Lazy days

lmao so many people asked about the chocolate fish from last chapter. this is a chocolate fish: it's basically a blob of marshmallow shaped like a fish, covered with chocolate on the outside. idk about other countries but here when you buy a hot chocolate at a café, it will probably come with a chocolate fish. it is not an actual fish covered in chocolate :D
 


I didn’t have anything to do this morning so I cooked breakfast. It was hard. I’m not sure how Sehun does this every day. But Jongin says he liked the bacon, so I want to make him some more!!!

 

Joonmyun wakes up on a Saturday morning somewhere under the covers again. Sometimes he’ll wake up clinging to either Jongin or Sehun’s hip, or squished between them, or with his head sticking out the other end of the bed. This morning he’s got his arms around somebody’s hip and with a bit of patting blindly in the dark, he feels the fabric of Sehun’s satin boxers. He wriggles out of the bed carefully, trying not to jostle it so he doesn’t wake anybody. Sehun and Jongin are still snoring away and dead to the world when Joonmyun looks at the alarm clock to find it’s barely past nine in the morning. They must be tired out from all the marathon from the previous night.

Joonmyun doesn’t really feel like a sleep-in, nor does he see the point of staying in bed if no one else is awake, so he slips out to get changed from his pajamas and put some fresh clothes for the day. He accidentally puts his shorts on backwards and grumbles when he has to have a decent search for some socks that actually match. Putting on whatever Sehun wants him to wear in the mornings is so much easier.

He brushes his teeth, blowing minty breath at his reflection in the bathroom mirror when he’s done. He borrows Jongin’s face scrub to wash his face; it smells like yummy mango, and he spends a solid minute sniffing at it. After fixing his bed hair with the comb he wanders into the kitchen, his stomach already growling hungrily, and forages around in the fridge for something to eat. There’s last night’s salmon and some rice, plus milk in the door shelf; it’s a perfect meal, until Joonmyun spots the bread and suddenly gets the perfect idea.

How totally cool would it be if Jongin and Sehun woke up to breakfast in bed?

Joonmyun grabs the loaf of bread and places it on the kitchen bench, wondering how much of it he should put in the toaster. A few slices? He’s really hungry.

Everyone will be hungry, he reasons. I should make lots.

He’s seen Sehun make toast loads of times before so he does all the things Sehun does, putting in two slices of bread and pushing the lever down. When it finally pops out of the toaster it gives him a fright and he yelps in fear, stalking forward cautiously to pick them up and put them on a plate. That was... easy.

He toasts the whole loaf, stacking up all the pieces of toast into a giant, fragrant pile.

Jongin and Sehun would be so proud of him. Joonmyun imagines them smiling and patting him on the head and he feels warm and fuzzy on the inside.

The toast tower sits on the bench by itself and he stares at it for a while. He should make something to go with them… what did Sehun eat with his toast? Joonmyun opens the fridge to do an inventory check, eyes scanning the various items on the shelf for anything that might come in handy. Butter and jam? That would do. He’s about to close the fridge when he notices what’s on the bottom shelf.

Bacon and eggs. Joonmyun gulps.

“How do I fry an egg?” he wails. Setting the meat and several eggs by the stove, he rummages around in the cupboard for a pot. No, maybe not that.

“Fry pan!” he exclaims, straightening immediately and banging his head with a loud thump. “Ow…” Rubbing his sore kitty ear with a hand, he puts the fry pan on the stove and spends some time fiddling with the dials and settings of the stove before he manages to get the right element on. He’s 99% sure the oven’s not supposed to turn on either.

Oil, Joonmyun remembers Sehun scolding Jongin once. Use oil, you idiot, or everything’s going to stick.

He pours some oil into the fry pan and fetches some plates while waiting for it to heat up.

Once it’s done, he squints at the egg in his palm. Maybe if he just smashed it on the rim of the fry pan it would crack and he’d be able to – oh, look, the egg was open! Half of its contents slide down the inside of the fry pan and into the oil, and the other half sits on the stove top in a blob. Oh.

Joonmyun looks at egg number two, hoping for a better result this time. He cracks it against the rim of the fry pan with considerably less force and a jagged split appears neatly in the middle of the shell. It’s super easy to pry open and the raw egg simply falls into the pan.

Egg number one is cooking – Joonmyun frowns at it – it’s just turned opaque and he panics, jerking out the drawer to get the spatula. Did eggs cook that fast? It had only been on the fry pan for like half a minute and it was white already!

Removing it turns out to be an even bigger challenge and Joonmyun watches in horror as his egg comes off the fry pan and lands on the plate in a gloopy puddle. Well, at least it didn’t get burnt. He sighs with relief and rescues egg number two as well. He sets them aside and picks up the bacon.

“Please don’t cook really fast like the eggs,” he whispers nervously, snipping one side of the packet open. “I don’t think I’m ready for that.”

Bacon, he discovers, takes much longer to cook than egg. It sizzles and spits while Joonmyun keeps poking at it, waiting for it go brown. “Hurry up,” he whines at it.

He’s sitting on the stool waiting for it when he feels the urge to pee. The bacon’s looks nearly done now so he dashes to the toilet to relieve himself, and comes back to some very brown bacon on the fry pan. It smells heavenly. He turns off the stove and moves the bacon to a pan.

 

“Oh Sehun, you beautiful human,” Jongin mumbles, “are you cooking me bacon for breakfast…” He rubs his eyes and sits up to find that Sehun’s not even in the kitchen. In fact, Sehun’s still in bed, and staring at the food in front of them with an unreadable expression.

“Good morning!” Joonmyun chirps. “I made breakfast for us!”

Jongin and Sehun turn their heads very slowly to look at each other.

“Wow, this is wonderful!” Sehun manages, not sure if he should be picking up his cutlery.

“Eat it, eat it, eat it,” Joonmyun insists, kitty ears flicking back and forth excitedly.

The egg is soft and gooey, like it’s only been cooked for half a minute or something. Sehun tries not to visibly wince when he bites down on a piece of egg shell.

“Is it good?” Joonmyun asks, eyes hopeful.

Jongin’s doing a pretty job at not laughing. “Yeah, Sehun,” he cackles, “is it good?” He chokes when Sehun shoves a piece of bacon into his boyfriend’s mouth.

“Uh,” Jongin coughs, forcing the crunchy bits of bacon down his throat, ‘it’s, uh, crispy. Really, really crispy… I love it!”

Sehun smirks.

“Do you really?” Joonmyun gasps, thrilled at Jongin’s response. He blushes and his kitty ears fold down modestly. “Should I make some more tomorrow–”

“No!” Jongin screeches, and the catboy shrinks back slightly at the outburst. “No, wait, I meant that you don’t have to do all that work! I, uh, why don’t you let Sehun do it?”

Joonmyun bites at his lower lip, deep in thought. “I think maybe I should,” he admits, scratching the back of his head. “Cooking is really hard…”

At least the toast is good.