sekai x sungmin ; one.

Project EX-J "

 

* That One Guy;

They say in everyone’s life, there’s always that one guy.
Whether it was “that one guy who peed his pants in class”
or “that one guy who smiles at you for no reason”...we all have them.
And so did Sehun.

 

 

 

As the high school’s most popular captain of the soccer team, Sehun was pretty damn noticed. All the time. It was like this body had this “aura” flying everywhere he goes. Especially when he practices, or during a game, screams would grow louder every time he moves closer to the bleachers. Girls and guys were head over toes for him, but sadly enough, Mr. Popularity don’t give attention to people who asked for it. Over the past few years in high school, Sehun had rejected almost everyone in the school. Almost. Though his nickname “Se-heartbreaker-hun” was in there, for the record.

But...everything changed as of the day of his fall tournament home game.

Cheers were everywhere, and Sehun stood in front of hundreds of the people with one of his feet rested on the perfectly patched soccer ball. His rainbow hair flew slightly as a small hurl of wind came through, but it sure didn’t stop his charisma from growing brighter every second. His eyes stare still at the old man standing in mid-field, wearing black and white, and a whistle trapped in between his lips. And as soon as the whistle blew, echoing around the field, Sehun made a run for it. His feet making magical moves around the ball, occasionally kicking it across the field, passing it to his teammates. Of course, like every time, Sehun would be the one kicking that god damn ball right in the goal. The crowd cheered louder on the home’s side, while the visitor’s side...was equally cheering. Mostly the girls. Sehun didn’t understand why they were even there if they weren’t going to cheer for their team.

Break time whistle came into his senses after about 30 minutes, and Sehun decided to rest his legs near the large bleachers. Some girls with confidence came up and asked for an autograph, some even to take a picture with. He was used to the feeling of being a so-called soccer star already that it didn’t bother him too much. Just when...

“Sungmin!” A sound of someone’s name caught his attention. Sehun turned his head, and as he looked at the owner of the beautiful name, his heart stopped. Everything stood still, the clocks didn’t move, and his breath hitched. “Sungmin...” He mumbled to himself, letting the sound of it roll through his tongue and echo in his head, so that he would memorize it. Sehun found himself smiling along as the boy smiled, laughed...and his smile grew wider sincerely when this Sungmin turned to make eye contact with him. Sungmin was small. Possibly only 160-165 centimeters tall; a freshman, if he wasn’t mistaken. The boy had platinum blonde hair, similar to Sehun’s own but without all those candy colors. Oh God, the way Sungmin brought up his hand to tuck a part of his hair behind his ear and politely smile, nodding his head to Sehun in respect before walking up the bleachers with his friends, it literally made Sehun want to pass out. He didn’t even notice that it was time to get back on the field until his coach came to pull him away.

That night, their team lost for the first time in years. Because as Sehun ran across the field, his mind would only be thinking of Sungmin’s face. And every time it was his turn to run close to the bleachers, he would dorkily smile at Sungmin who sat at the top, not noticing that the ball he had moments ago were already taken by the opposing team. The score ended up being 3-1.

“What’s up with you tonight?” His friend, Kim Jongin, asked. Sehun only smiled and slipped off his jersey, throwing it to the back of his locker. “I met someone during break time,” Sehun said as he reached in to grab his spare shirt. “And...I think I was starstruck. Really starstruck. I swore when he smiled at me, my heart stopped.”

“Cheesy .”

“You should meet him. He’s so pretty~”

“You said that when you dated Luhan.” And with that, Jongin received a harsh smack to the back of his neck.

“This time is different, dummy. I’ll introduce him to you one day!”

“That’s great, because I have to introduce you to someone too.”

Sehun raised his eyebrows and stopped his hands from packing his sweaty uniforms into his duffle bag. Did this mean Jongin finally found someone to love? Wait...Kim Jongin, the second greatest Casanova, falling in love? Wonder who this lucky woman/man would be.

“You’ll see him tomorrow. Goodnight, man!” Jongin said before ruffling Sehun’s hair and leaving the locker room. Sehun didn’t care much though. Because the only thing he could think of at the moment was Sungmin’s beautiful face and his heart-melting smile. Oh, Juliet...

He needed to stop watching dramatic movies.

 

As usual, even with the fact that Sehun got the school’s team losing their spot in the fall tournament, he was still greeted with cheers and screams the next morning. Though, his heart gave no attention to any of them. His right hand occasionally brought itself up to fix the black beanie on his head, while his eyes were rolling all over the place. Sungmin; he needed to find that guy. Sehun needed to know more about this guy as soon as he possibly could, because that beautiful face had been creeping in his dreams the whole night. He could consider it the best dream he’d had in years. Little did he know, this morning would be the worst morning he’d ever had in years, too.

“Oh Sehun!” At the sound of his name, Sehun turned and smiled, seeing that it was his normal group of friends. Jongin, Luhan (who surprisingly was still his friend), Amber, Joonmyun, Yixing, Jessica, Yuri, and...Sungmin? Sehun walked closer to their usual table with his eyebrows knitted into a knot, only to meet Jongin who smiled at him widely.

“Morning, Oh~” Jessica said emotionlessly and went back to her phone, texting Yuri like they weren’t sitting next together. That didn’t surprise him much; it happens every day. Everyone still wondered why there two girls aren’t dating yet. They should be. Amber, who paid the most attention to every single thing around her, saw that Sehun’s face was plastered on with confusion. To cure it, she threw her arm around Sungmin’s neck and ruffled his hair, grinning widely at Sehun.

“Yo, Oh, this is Lee Sungmin. Jongin’s new boyfriend~”

Sungmin just had this power to stop Sehun’s world. His heart stopped beating again and it felt like there were tons of weight being pushed against him from above. His legs nearly gave in as he watched Jongin snatch Sungmin back from Amber and viciously pressing his lips against those plump ones. Sehun’s poor heart; they were broken to tiny pieces.

Everyday after that, Sehun slowly fell from his shrine, so did Jongin. His heart still breaks every time Sungmin would look at him and smile, only seeing him as a friend, or a brother.

They say in everyone’s life, there’s always that one guy. Whether it was “that one guy who peed his pants in class” or “that one guy who smiles at you for no reason”...we all have them. And so does Sehun. Lee Sungmin will always be remembered in his heart as that one guy who took his heart once and forever.