Chapter 1

I will fight for your happiness

A/N: Before you guys read this you need to know that the entire story will be in different people's POV. Mainly Kris' and Chanyeol's POV though :) Hope you enjoy ^^

 

Kris’ POV

This isn’t what I wanted. This job I’ve been given to protect this human... child... teenager...thing. It’s actually my punishment. My fall from grace to go from what I was, mighty and glorious, to this third grade bodyguard post. They didn’t give me just any human either. This freaking child is a walking disaster! He attracts so much I barely have time to stop and think!

Human life is a fleeting thing to the likes of me. Compared to my lifespan this boy will be alive for a very short time. I’ve already outlived him a hundred times over... I think... I stopped counting a long time ago. My term of punishment and lesson learning is in fact a very short period of time but something about this boy makes the time drag on slower and slower. He’s just too damn happy all the time and by heavens it’s doing weird things to my will. What little of it I have left.

Will is a funny kind of blessing. Humans were given the freedom to do as they will freely. I never understood why the almighty gave them such a... such a power so as to be able to do as they please, think as they please and choose whether to follow God if they please. Frankly I may be a little jealous since I don’t have such a will. My will is limited. I have two options in life. Follow orders if I will or face the consequence. My superiors are all just like me and they have become superiors by following orders, as humans say, like dogs. The day I questioned them about a controversial topic such as why we did not have free will, was the day of my down fall. The day they thought I needed to learn from experience and to know my place. And my place for now was beside this boy. Fighting battles for him he will never know of. Watching over him so he will not be taken by the dark forces he attracts. Silently guarding his every step and watching him grow to become an incredibly strange young man.

 

Chanyeol’s POV


Today will be a really good day. It’s the last day of school and everyone will be as happy as I am for a change. There will be more smiling people and my friends will all be happy too. A small smile tugs at the corner of my lips and I let it tug higher and higher until I’m fully grinning. Today will definitely be a very good day if they’re all happy.

I look down at my wristwatch and register the time calmly. I look back up at the road ahead of me with no sign of the school ahead. Today will be a really good day for me if I manage to make it in time before the gates close at school! How the heck do I always manage to get late?! I pull at the straps of my backpack so that the bag rests snugly on my back and make a run for it, fully aware that not even my long legs could carry me off to school fast enough. Maybe it’s because it’s also rush hour traffic around me that I hear the echo of another set of footsteps run behind me. I hope that ajjhushi makes it to work on time.

With literally seconds to spare before the gates are fully closed I slide through the remaining open space waving at the security guard as I continue to run towards the school building.

“YAH PARK CHANYEOL! ONE OF THESE DAYS I’M GOING TO SLAM THIS GATE ON YOU!”

“AHAHAHAHAAA KAMSAHAMNIDA FOR WAITING FOR ME KIM-SHI HAVE A NICE DAY!” I tell him as I continue to run, but knowing my voice it probably came out as a scream to the man. I stumble through the main doorways and make a run for it directly to class. As I open the door at the back of the class in the hopes of not disturbing everyone, the door slams hard on a nearby table. The impact sends a sleepy Jongin’s half open pencil case flying off of it and hitting the ground, miraculously, with just the sound of a dull thump. The door hitting the table did enough damage though since everyone in class was now staring directly at me. Especially a vedry pissed looking Jongin. All the adrenalin that’s been pumping in my system while running made me forget that the back door has been blocked off by a row of tables for weeks now...

I bow profusely to Jongin and my homeroom teacher who are both staring daggers at me as I make my way to my seat by the window in the middle of class.
“PARK CHANYEOL YOU WILL BE THE LAST TO LEAVE SCHOOL THIS TERM AS YOU WILL BE CLEANING THE ENTIRE CLASSROOM AND THE CORIDORE OUTSIDE BY YOURSELF!” my home room teacher barked. I heard snickers all around me and I just nodded confidently. At least this gave the class something to laugh about I guess. “Nae sonsaengnim I understand, I will!!!!”

Kris POV

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY HOW STUPID COULD THIS BOY BE? HOW COULD HE FORGET THE BACK DOOR WAS BLOCKED BY A TABLE! IF I HADNT CAUGHT UP TO HIM IN TIME AND CAUGHT THAT PENCIL CASE FROM SENDING PENS AND PENCILS FLYING ALL OVER THE CLASSROOM, HE WOULD PROBABLY BE STUCK IN SCHOOL UNTILL IT WAS DARK, CLEANING UP THE ROOF OR SOMETHING!

I run my fingers through my hair furiously as I make my way towards his part of the classroom and lean against the wall. The rest of his day goes on as normal and without much disastrous occurrences. Yes he did nearly fall off the staircase laughing like an idiot and yes he did repeatedly slam his hand down on the cafeteria table while laughing hard enough to leave a bruise on him, not that he noticed, while he slapped the wooden surface like a retarded seal. I wish I could have taken his hand away from the table so he wouldn’t hurt himself anymore being stupid. I did catch him when he nearly fell (on top of me) while he was walking up the staircase but to stop him mid slap would be too supernatural for the boy to understand.

Once the entire school emptied and Chanyeol’s friends are reluctantly ushered off home by him, Chanyeol makes his way to the classroom with a broom and a dustpan, all ready to fulfil his punishment. I don’t understand this boy. He has the freedom to just walk out of school like the rest of his friends; the teacher didn’t stick around to make sure Chanyeol cleaned the classroom. Quite frankly she never really cared about his punishment all too much. Yet here he was. With a determined smile plastered across his face as he swept every inch of the classroom and then moved on to the corridor. It was getting late. Could he use some of his god given free will already and stop cleaning the corridor?!

By the time he got off from his self imposed cleaning punishment, he went back into his classroom to collect all his belongings. While I watched him pack, the door slammed furiously behind us. What now? As I turn I see the perpetrator. Alright Mr. I-like-slamming-doors what might you be after now?

“Ahhh this boy has the most intoxication aura!” he breathes in clearly liking what he smells. “But why must I always be denied the opportunity to savour such a child without soiling my hands first dealing with the likes of you?” he turns towards me, narrowing his glassy red eyes. “What a strange looking guard you are... you’re not like the normal ones I meet while hunting. What’s your name pretty one?”

“Kris... but you my friend can call me death.” I swiftly unsheathe my flaming blade and slice it through the fiends’ midsection. Within seconds he’s disintegrating into ash. It’s a good thing Chanyeol can’t see any of this ash or else he’ll flip out and spend the night cleaning again. I turn around and almost collide face-first into a nervous Chanyeol who has his eyes shut in fear. I stagger back a bit from the close proximity of his face to mine and steady myself silently on the table behind. that face is adorable...

Wait...

Ugh what?!

Chanyeol’s POV

The door slams hard behind me and I nearly jump out of my bones! What the heck?! Did someone come back to class? Did someone just lock me in? What if it’s a criminal running away from the cops? What would be the chances of that even happening to me?

I feel completely like a chicken right now, I can’t even get myself to turn around and see who’s there. I tightly shut my eyes and muster up all the courage I have left. it takes me a minute but slowly I turn around to see who’s behind me. Once I’m completely turned I peek through my lashes at what’s before me. Nothing. PHEW! It must have been some strange wind!

I laugh a little at my own childishness and stuff the last bits of my stationary into my bag. I walk over to the door and open it with ease and walk out of my classroom for the last time until I return after summer break is over. Almost everyone is gone except a few cleaning ladies and the security personnel. It was already twilight and I could see the last streaks of orange that set the sky ablaze. It looked like fire... I wear my ear phones and leisurely walk down the many pavements that lead to my apartment. I watch the street and shop lights switch on bringing this part of Gangnam alive. The roads were busy with people and vehicles all rushing to their homes or to their dinner plans. It was nice to move slowly through the rushing crowd. It made me feel like I was one of those slow motion characters in movies who have everything around them moving in hyper speed. I grin goofily at the thought and keep my slow pace. I’m almost home anyway.

Kris POV

It’s so freaking dark all around now and this idiot is walking like a snail! I let out a frustrated groan and walk past him and turned to face him. I let out another groan seeing how he’s cheerfully just grinning, clearly in a world of his own. What is he even thinking I wonder as he passes by me excruciatingly slowly. If only he was able to see the surroundings as I see them, he would be running for dear life by now... and he should be! I already got rid of 3 monsters who came up to claim this child and he just kept walking slowly, calmly like the grinning idiot he was, while attracting a hundred others!

Chanyeol’s POV

Once I get to my apartment building I take one last look around at the lively atmosphere around me. Good bye my ideal movie setting! I run up the stairs now until I’m in front of my apartment. Its 4 flights up but my legs let me take 2-3 steps at a time. I tentatively open the door to the apartment in the hopes my mum’s not anywhere close by.

“YAH PARK CHANEYOL! DO YOU WANT TO DIE?!” my mum screams as she throws a cushion from the couch at me. I catch it just before it hits my face and peek over it slowly. “WHAT TIME DO YOU THINK IT IS YOU PABO! DID YOU FORGET I HAD A BIG DINNER READY FOR YOU TO CELEBRATE YOUR LAST DAY YOU BIG PABO!” my mum walked up to me and grabbed the cushion off my hands revealing my grinning face. “Aish this child...” she drops the cushion and reaches up to ruffle my hair playfully. My mum’s not the type to get mad easily. She never gets angry really, she just expresses her love for us a little... violently. My mum’s always been a person full of big reactions and dramatic speeches. She’s really the reason I’m like this. She’s the reason I’m always goofing off and smiling like an idiot.

She takes my bag and shoos me into my room to wash up and change. Once I’m out she shoos me to the table to sit down. My dad’s already at the table reading some newspapers. My mum quickly grabs them out of his hands and dinner begins. Dinner is as normal and I quickly retire to my room, fully spent from the day’s work. I dive in face-first onto my bed and hear the bed move slightly forward from my impact hehe I guess my angle was wrong. I roll around on the bed and tangle up the sheets around my legs and pull them up to my face as best I can. Once I was comfortably tangled up and covered I close my eyes and drift off to sleep. I don’t have to worry about waking up early tomorrow since summer break has officially begun. I let out an almost mute “woohoo” before drifting off completely.

Kris POV

Finally.  He’s finally in bed and still! Idiot nearly hit his head on the bed head of the bed while jumping like that. It’s a good thing there was some space between the bed head and the wall for me to move the bed into a non life threatening position. but thats all over now. For tonight he will not move and I will watch over him. No one comes to disturb his dreams tonight and he manages to sleep soundly. I watch as the moonlight gently caresses his flawless face. He was really somewhat of a beautiful human. His baby face is almost immortal. Even though he grew quite tall compared to the other humans, almost as tall as me, his face remained as it were 10 years ago. He lost a lot of weight too but he still has that child like charm to him. Maybe his heart and soul are equally child like. Maybe it’s this pureness that keeps him happy all day.

I bend down on my knees and prop my elbow on top of the bed. Resting my chin on my hand I watch the boy sleep, muffled snores and words escaping his lips as he dreams. Its times like these that let me think a little. About my situation and about this boy I’ve been given. It’s the time I take a moment to realize certain things about this boy. Like how his face looked when he was frightened in the classroom. How his lips were pursed into a thin line and his eyes shut tightly, causing his eyelids to wrinkle. How happy he looked while walking down the street slowly. How stupidly gummy his smile was when he was slapping that table in the cafeteria causing that peculiar twitch to appear near one eye. The thought of him in the cafeteria reminded me of his bruised hand. I sat at the edge of the bed and took his right hand in mine. His hand feels soft. Almost silk like. The moonlight illuminated his pale palm showing the discolouration clearly. I ran my finger over the discoloration on his skin and Chanyeol’s face scrunched up a little in irritation. It couldn’t have possibly been because of my touch though. He can’t see me nor feel me... Slowly I raised his arm so as not to disturb the sleeping boy and held it before my face. Very gently and very slowly I pressed my lips to his hand and closed my eyes. A few seconds later I released his hand and laid it back down on his chest. The human mothers say a kiss to a oo will make it better. If only they knew how true it was when an angel does so...

Chanyeol stirred in his sleep a bit and smiled gently. This wasn’t the first time I’ve healed one of his bruises and he’s never really reacted to any of them before. To any of my actions... he did this before too didn’t he? Did he just feel my presence? Seeing him gently smile in his sleeping state did weird things to me. It sent a spark of lightning up my back which tingled all around. Why is his reaction causing me to have a reaction? Wait he couldn’t have reacted to me at all it’s probably a stupid dream of his or something.

 Shaking my head I stood up off his bed and walked over to a chair nearby. Why must the peaceful night time that allows this boy to sleep and be still, last for so short a time? Soon the moonlight shall be replaced by the sun and Chanyeol busy body happiness will be up and about with an unparalleled reserve of bursting energy. His free will might not be the only thing I envy him for... that damned hyper energy is one thing I just cannot keep up with.