Chapter 3

Do I Know You?

"Nice to meet you. I'm Hongbin. Lee Hongbin."

I took his hand and shook it. I looked at him. He was tall and no doubt, has a pretty face. He gladly took my trolley and we walked to the parking lot outside. There were lots of cars and people so it took a while to find.

We found the car. Even with my lack of knowledge to cars, I could tell it was a pickup. I waited for him to unlock it. When he did, he laid both my bags at the back. I opened the car door in front and sat comfartably.

After awhile, Hongbin went in too. He fastened his seatbelt. I could feel him looking at me, longer than normal if I were to say. I fidgeted uncomfortably and decided to turn my head to look back at him. He smiled that toothy smile once again. "You should buckle up, you know." he said, facing front and turning on the engine. The car hummed softly as he did so.

I buckled up -- feeling myself blush from embarassment -- and we were on our way. The ride was silent and awkward for the both of us so Hongbin was nice enough to play some music.

Why is he here? Shouldn't my aunt come and pick me up like my mom said she would?

Hongbin seemed to read my mind. "You must be wondering why I'm here, right?," Shocked, I looked at him. I knew he knew I was staring at him waiting for his answer and he didn't mind a bit. I guess he's used to girls staring at him. "Well, your aunt is my neighbor and she was busy. She asked me to bring home a relative from the aiport so here I am."

I nodded in response, staring at a car who was overtaking us.

We drove again where only soft music playing could be heard.

"You don't talk much." he said, breaking the invisible wall between us made by the music player.

I stared outside. We were overtaking the car that overtook us awhile ago.

"You remind me of my hyung. He's really quiet too. You should meet him sometime." The car entered in a large village which I suppose we were almost near.

We drove through small streets until we stopped in front of a simple house. "Before it slips from my mind, you know what, you look very much like her." Hongbin said, smiling to himself. He said the last few words very softly I could barely hear it. I was about to ask who but a woman who looked like in her thirties opened the car from Hongbin's side.

"Hongbin-ah! You're here!," Hongbin bowed. She looked at me. I thought I should bow too. "You must be Seomin-ah. Nice to meet you. Come in fast. You must be tired from your trip. I'll prepare food. Hongbin, get her things. Seomin, come with me."

Hongbin smiled and motioned me to go in the house. I stood out and closed the door. I entered the house and the first thing I saw was a guy sitting with his back facing me. He heard the door open and looked back. He stood and bowed. I did so too. "You must be Seomin-noona right?" I nodded. He came closer and hugged me. I was astonished at the immediate and close skinship. 

"Han Sanghyuk! Don't scare her the moment she enters the room! Let her eat and rest."  Someone shouted.

"Mianhae, umma," This guy, Han Sanghyuk, released me. "Mianhae noona. It's the first time I saw you and you looked huggable. Noona, call me Hyuk instead. It sounds cooler," He grinned. "Anyway, let's go eat now. You must be hungry." He grabbed my hand and led me to the dining room. It was simple compared to my home back in America. Hyuk went out to the living room. Maybe he ate already.

"Here you go, dear," my aunt said and came in with food. She placed the food in front of me, even if I insisted to do it. Then she sat across me. "It's your first time here in Korea right?" I looked at her. She was beaming ever since she saw me. Her hair was tied in a bun, brown and healthy and had a smile that was captivating.

I nodded. I got the chopsticks and took a bite.

"You're very fluent in Korean, for someone who lived abroad." she commented.

I swallowed my food. "Mom and dad had a rule that we should speak Korean within the household." I said softly.
 
"Oh~ You're taking college right? My Sanghyuk is in his last year in highschool. What course will you take?"
 
"I'm taking music and arts."
 
"Do you miss your friends here? I'm sure you do." she said excitedly. I looked at her with confusion. Friends? What friends?
 
She stopped smiling and looked at me in horror as if she did something wrong. She was about to speak until someone entered the room.
 
"Umma! Noona's things are in the spare room we have. Hongbin-hyung left already. And stop asking noona questions. She might be really tired from all the travelling." Hyuk said.
 
"Arasseo, arasseo," Then she faced me. "Hyuk will take you to your room. You should rest cause you'll have a busy day tomorrow."
 
I stood up and bowed. Hyuk held my hand and dragged me. I have never seen a boy who likes skinship this much.
 
We went upstairs. I took a quick glance at the pictures hung at the wall. I saw one with a little girl with my aunt who looked younger in the picture. The little girl was holding a purple teddy bear and smiled so wide and it seemed she's really close with my aunt. I suddenly felt sick. Probably the food I just ate.
 
Hyuk opened a room and pulled me in. "Here's your room, noona! I have to go now to my room. Your bags are there. Goodnight." he said with a smile and closed the door.
 
I felt too sick to unpack so I just lied down there. Soon, sleepiness came over me.
 
"Ahjumma! I love your present~! How'd you know I wanted to have a purple teddy bear?"
 
"I just know." she smiled.
 
"The both of you, look over here!" We both looked and a quick flash came.
 
I woke up. I was panting. I then realized that something was wrong. Really wrong.
 
To clear my mind, I just unpacked my things and settled in my new environment.