Part 7

Let Me In

"Waiting In The Wings" – Shayne Ward
 

Tell me what we're doing here anyway
It seems like for too long we've been playing these games
When I reach out to touch you my hand starts to shake
'Cause it hurts to be this close but still so far away
It's like I'm in the shadow of his mistakes

But I've got a lifetime waiting for your heart to melt
'Cause baby can't you see it's me that you're damaging
I'm hoping in my heart, now I'm risking everything
So baby don't you leave me waiting in the wings

I know he hurt you but baby he ain't me
And I hope someday you'll find faith in me
I'm so desperate to touch you I'd do anything
Can't accept that my chances are slowly vanishing
As the lights go on and I take the stand
I gotta find the words to say

But I've got a lifetime waiting for your heart to melt
'Cause baby can't you see it's me that you're damaging
I'm hoping in my heart, now I'm risking everything
So baby don't you leave me waiting in the wings

But I've got a lifetime waiting for your heart to melt
'Cause baby can't you see it's me that you're damaging
I'm hoping in my heart, now I'm risking everything
So baby don't you leave me waiting in the wings

Ohhhh! ohhhh!

I'm hoping in my heart, now I'm risking everything
So baby don't you leave me waiting in the wings

 

 

Tiffany watched as Yoona wiped Jessica’s arms and legs diligently. It didn’t matter to Yoona if Jessica wasn’t responding to her. She wanted to take care of Jessica. Tiffany then turned her attention to her wrist watch. Yuri was nowhere in sight. It had been weeks since she last saw Yuri visiting Jessica. She frowned.

“Unnie?”

Tiffany turned to find Yoona staring at her.

“Hm?”

“Why are you frowning away? Are you bored?”

“No, I was just thinking of something.”

“Are you thinking of Yuri?”

“Yeah, kinda.”

“She’s always like this. She prefers to run and hide than to face reality.”

Yoona was rolling her eyes as she turned her attention to the comatose Jessica. She proceeded to massage the girl’s limbs.

“Are you still mad at her, Yoona?”

“I’m more disappointed than to be mad at her.”

“Are you angry with me too?”

“Why should I do that?”

“You love Jessica but Jessica loves Yuri. And Yuri loves me instead.”

“You didn’t have any idea about all this in the first place. It’s almost unfair if I blame this on you.”

Tiffany nodded. She went over to Jessica’s side and sat on her bed. She sighed as she caressed Jessica’s arms gently.

“I regret not keeping in touch with Jessica.”

Yoona looked up.

“After I got married, I just lost in touch with her. I wondered what went through her mind despite knowing Yuri wasn’t true to her.”

Yoona shrugged her shoulders. She took the jug and poured out the water. She returned with the jug filled with warm water. Tiffany was wiping Jessica’s face.

“Unnie, do you have any idea that Yuri likes you?”

Tiffany stared at Jessica’s face intently.

“There were times where she looked at me weirdly. But I thought it was just her style.”

“She loves you since the first time you two met.”

“You mean, since back in high school?”

“Yeah, but you’re straight. So she didn’t tell you.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“You were getting married to Andrew oppa. How could I possibly tell you?”

Yoona was right. It never occurred to her mind that Yuri likes her. Back in high school, all four of them were good friends. They were always together; usually Jessica was with Yoona and Yuri was with her. They often watched movies together and those harmless moments when Yuri wrapped her arms around Tiffany; or when she helped Tiffany to carry her books or bags – it didn’t occur to Tiffany that all that were signs of affections. She thought Yuri was just too nice like that.

She slowly recalled their memories and she gasped when there was one particular memory that proved Yuri was in love with her. It just didn’t hit her then. Tiffany was perplexed.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

Tiffany was stopped by a group of boys just outside her school. Those were the juveniles who often got into trouble in school. And they had to disturb Tiffany.

“What do you want, Lee Teuk oppa?”

“I was wondering if I could send you home.”

He was sniggering and so were the sick idiots behind him. Tiffany rolled her eyes at them and tried to walk the other direction. Another guy stopped her.

“Oh come on, Lee Teuk oppa just wants to befriend you.”

Eunhyuk oppa was giving her a greasy sly smile which made Tiffany cringed. She just ignored them and tried to walk back into the school but Eunhyuk was pulling her instead. He grabbed her from her neck and pulled her along. The other boys were whistling and laughing hysterically.

“Let me go!”

“Oh come on! We just wanted to have some fun!”

Lee Teuk tried to kiss her but she slapped him instead.

“You !”

“LET HER GO!”

Someone suddenly shouted from nowhere. They turned and Tiffany was searching for the voice as well. She recognized that voice. She was relieved when she saw Yuri running towards them.

“Ah, another one.”

“Let her go.”

Yuri ordered them but Lee Teuk was too busy gawking at her.

“Kwon Yuri, the famous lesbian in school. Why don’t you find someone else? I believe Tiffany is straight.”

“Don’t you have anything else to do than to disturb the girls in school?”

“What are you? A heroine?”

“You will regret if you don’t let her go.”

“What can you do?”

Lee Teuk tried to grab Yuri but the girl was agile. She was fast enough to dodge him.

“Hyung, she has a black belt in Taekwondo!”

Even before Lee Teuk could do anything, Yuri went in and gave him a knee kick at his sacred area. She went on to settle the other guys and finally Eunhyuk got it from her as well. The guy’s nose was bleeding.

Yuri then quickly grabbed Tiffany’s hand and pushed her towards her body. Tiffany wrapped her arms around her immediately and buried her face on Yuri’s shoulders.

“Don’t worry. You’ll be fine.”

“Kwon Yuri, you better watch out!”

“If you’re a man, you should fight with me – one on one.”

“Yuri!”

Tiffany was protesting but Yuri just shook her head. She cupped her hands on Tiffany’s cheeks and smiled widely.

“Don’t do this, Yuri. You don’t have to challenge him!”

“He wouldn’t dare, Tiffany. He’s a coward like that.”

“Who said I am a coward!?”

“So do you want to have one on one now?”

“Sure. Tiffany has to go with the one who wins.”

“Deal.”

“Yuri..”

“Tiffany, you don’t have to worry about anything.”

Yuri pulled her closer and whispered in her ears.

“Call Yoona and Jessica. Then call the police. I’m sure they are going to play dirty.”

Then she pulled herself away from Tiffany and winked at her. Tiffany wasn’t too sure what she should do but she left a message for Yoona and Jessica discreetly. She then turned to Yuri; she was terrified. But Yuri appeared confident enough.

The boys stood behind Lee Teuk. Yuri was right. They intended to play dirty. Eunhyuk handed a pocket knife to Lee Teuk from his back. Yuri saw them but she didn’t want to warn them that she knew. She just had to be alert.

“Let’s go!”

Lee Teuk came to her quickly; he tried to hide the knife under his palm but Yuri was smart enough to dodge him again. Her back was facing the boys. Suddenly Eunhyuk and Siwon held her from behind. Tiffany was panicking.

“YURI!”

Lee Teuk was smiling away.

“I told you. You cannot win anything with me.”

He then ran towards her and was about to shove the knife into Yuri’s stomach when someone shouted them to stop.

“STOP! POLICE!”

Lee Teuk was stunned and the other boys were panicking. Yuri then pulled the two guys holding on to her together and smashed their heads. She then pulled Lee Teuk’s arm and pulled him over her shoulders and the guy fell on his back with a loud thud on the ground. She then took his arm and turned in around.

“OW! OW!”

“Let go of the knife.”

Lee Teuk let it go immediately and then Yuri smacked his forehead. The police were already coming forward and arrested all the boys including Lee Teuk.

“I think I’ll not be seeing you for a long time.”

“You !”

Lee Teuk was hauled away and Yuri ran towards Tiffany. The girl was crying her eyes out. Yuri could get hurt if the police didn’t come in time.

“Fany ah..”

“You could get yourself killed!”

“But I’m not. I’m here; safe and sound.”

“Yuri, he almost shoved that thing into you!”

“Tiffany, calm down. I’m fine now. The police have taken them away.”

“Don’t you do that anymore! I’ll hate you if you do that again!”

“It won’t happen again.  From today onwards, I’m going to send you home and fetch you to school.”

“What?”

“I’m worried about your safety.”

“But your house is not along the way.”

“It’s okay. I’ll cycle to your house.”

“And we take your bicycle to school?”

“Yeah, I’ll fix my ride so that you can sit comfortably.”

“Why are you doing all this for?”

Yuri smiled widely.

“I just want to make sure you’re always safe and sound.”

Tiffany didn’t say anything but just pulled Yuri close and hugged her tightly. She was scared to death when she saw Lee Teuk with the knife. Jessica and Yoona joined them shortly. They were the ones who called the police after reading Tiffany’s message.

Tiffany stood against the door. She finally understood why Yuri was determined to keep Tiffany safe from any harm. She sighed to herself and wondered if she was too blind to notice Yuri’s affections for her.  She touched her neck gently – she was still wearing the necklace Yuri gave on her wedding day. It was expensive and Tiffany wondered back then why Yuri gave her such present. Now she knew.

 Yuri, how silly can you get?

*

Yoona kept massaging Jessica’s arms. She noticed the older girl was getting bedsores around her limbs. She turned the older girl on her side and supported her arm around her waist. She pressed on the stiff muscles gently. Her gaze never left Jessica’s face.  

“Jessica, is your body still feeling sore? I’ll massage thoroughly okay? Then later you can sleep better.”

Yoona smiled even though Jessica didn’t respond to her. She was going to keep that smile on; she was not going to give up on Jessica just like that.

“When you wake up, I’ll look after you. I’ll cook your meals; I’ll carry you if I have to. You don’t have to worry about anything, okay? I’ll do everything for you. You just need to recover soon.”

The silence was killing Yoona but she couldn’t stop now. Maybe Jessica was tired emotionally. Yuri took half of her world and now she was left with nothing. But Yoona was not the kind who gave up easily.

“Jessica, I’m not giving you up to Yuri anymore.”

Yoona kissed Jessica on her lips. She was not holding back anymore.

*

Yuri was drinking. She had been drinking for the last few days. Memories of Jessica tormented her so much that Yuri rather be drunk than sober. At least, when she was drunk, she could have hallucinations of Jessica into life and sometimes Jessica appeared in her dreams.

“Jessica..”

Yuri was tipsy. She tried to sit up but wobbly. She somehow got up on her feet and staggered towards the kitchen. Her stomach was full of alcohol and Yuri couldn’t eat proper meals. She would vomit out so she gave up eventually.

She pulled out her fridge door and took out some bottles of beer.  Yuri cursed at herself when she couldn’t pull out the caps.

“Ah sheesh!”

She cut herself. Blood was oozing out profusely but Yuri just her wound before wobbling back to the couch. She drank to her heart’s content when the bell rang. She grudgingly made her way to the door.

“Yuri?”

Yuri was taken aback to find Tiffany at her door. She stumbled backwards and fell to the floor. Tiffany quickly held her up.

“Have you been drinking?”

“What are you doing here?”

“Yuri, what have you been? Why didn’t I see you at the hospital?”

Yuri didn’t answer. She just pulled herself away from Tiffany and stumbling back to the couch. Tiffany was appalled to find empty beer bottles all over the floor.

“What are you doing?”

“Why are you here, Tiffany?”

“I was wondering why you didn’t turn up at the hospital. Jessica’s your girlfriend but my sister was the one who looked after her.”

“Yoona can do a better job than me.”

“Yuri, what’s wrong with you?”

Tiffany was holding on to Yuri’s right arm but the other girl pulled it away. She pushed Tiffany away before slumping onto the sofa.  Her heart ached each time Tiffany reminded her of Jessica.

“Kwon Yuri, you told me you couldn’t let Jessica go. Now she’s in a coma, you’re at home wasting your life away on beers!”

“It’s none of your business!”

“It’s my business because you’re my friend and Jessica’s my friend too!”

“Jessica deserves someone better. Your sister loves her better than I do!”

“But that girl loves you!”

Tiffany glared at Yuri but the girl remained undaunted. She hissed when the cut on her finger stung her badly. Tiffany saw the deep wound.

“When did you cut your finger?”

“I tried to pry open the beer bottle cap.”

“You know the cap has sharp edges, don’t you?”

“Tiffany, what is that you want?”

Tiffany pulled Yuri closer and hugged her tightly. Yuri was stunned at first but then gave in. She wrapped her arms around Tiffany’s waist. She liked this.

“I don’t want you to lose yourself in pain like this. Jessica needs you.”

“Jessica doesn’t need someone like me. She needs your sister.”

“But you’re still her girlfriend. It’s unfair that my sister’s taking over your job although she was doing it willingly.”

“Tiffany, I need you.”

Tiffany pulled her away and looked at Yuri. She was staring at her face intently.

“I need you. I went crazy when you got married. I thought I could let you go since you were already someone else’s wife. But now I know I just couldn’t let you go, Tiffany.”

Tiffany was still staring at her. But Yuri couldn’t care less. She had to let her feelings known.

“I love you. I love you from the very first time our eyes met. You were just like an angel descended into my life and I just couldn’t see anybody but you. I know I made a mistake with Jessica but I couldn’t erase you from my mind permanently.”

Yuri was tearing up as she confessed her feelings for Tiffany. She was suppressing them for so many years and it had overflowed. It threatened to spill and now it was out in the open.

Tiffany remained still in Yuri’s embrace. Yuri pulled her closer and hugged her tighter. She then cupped her hands around Tiffany’s cheeks. She was desperate to touch Tiffany’s lips so she slowly leaned closer.

Tiffany watched as Yuri came closer. Their lips were just inches away and Yuri was gazing lovingly at her. That intense gaze Yuri had was drawing Tiffany closer but in confusion. Yuri was feeling triumphant when her lips touched Tiffany’s. She gently kissed her before wrapping her hands around Tiffany’s neck.

“Tiffany, I love you..”

Yuri whispered breathlessly. And the kiss just got rougher and harder.

“What are you going to do now, Yuri?”

“I don’t know. Just.. just let me be with you like this.”

Yuri lost in her own world and Tiffany was stumped by her own actions. Both were not stopping at all.

*

Yoona fell asleep beside Jessica. She was with the girl all the time. She didn’t leave Jessica alone; not even for a second. She wanted to be near the older girl; she wanted to be the first to see Jessica waking up.

Suddenly, Yoona felt movements. She was resting her head against Jessica’s hand and she felt Jessica’s fingers moved. She quickly sat up.

“Sica?!”

She then looked up; Jessica’s eyelids were moving.  Yoona shook Jessica’s arms.

“Jessica, are you waking up?”

Jessica’s lips twitched and Yoona was getting excited. She called for the doctor immediately. They rushed into Jessica’s room and waited in anticipation.

“Jessica Jung, can you hear me?”

The doctor was already checking on Jessica’s vital stats.  Yoona was still watching intently but her tears immediately fell the moment Jessica opened her eyes.

“Jessica..?”

Yoona was hopeful. Then a smile crept on Jessica’s lips.

“Yoona...”

Yoona was ecstatic. She felt like she was being born all over again.

“Thank god, Jessica. Thank god, you’re alright now.”

Jessica gave a smile. And it was enough to turn Yoona’s grey skies blue.

*

“What?!”

Tiffany was interrupted by her phone call. She pushed Yuri away and quickly grabbed her phone. Yoona called to inform her that Jessica was awake.

“Are you sure? She’s awake?!”

Yuri looked up instantly. She was eager to know the news too.

“Okay, I’ll see you in the hospital.”

Tiffany hung up and turned to Yuri who was staring at her.

“Jessica’s awake!”

“Oh.”

“Why aren’t you happy?”

“I don’t know how to face her.”

“Oh, right.”

Tiffany felt guilty too. She kissed Yuri earlier on.

“But let’s worry about that later. Let’s go to the hospital now.”

Tiffany was about to pull Yuri’s arm when the girl pulled it back.

“We cannot go together. Yoona will get suspicious.”

“What?”

“She will be wondering why you’re with me.”

Tiffany understood the complications. She didn’t want Yoona to misunderstand her.

“I’ll go first.”

Yuri’s phone rang. It was Yoona.

“She’s calling.”

“Answer her then. I’ll leave now.”

“Okay.”

Tiffany left quickly.

*

Yoona was contemplating if she should call Yuri. But Jessica’s her girlfriend and she believes that Jessica would like to meet her too. She grudgingly grabbed her phone and dialled for Yuri’s number. It took her four rings before Yuri answered.

“Yoona?”

“Jessica’s awake. Come to the hospital now.”

“Okay.”

Yoona hung up immediately. She didn’t want to talk more than she should. She was disappointed with Yuri for not turning up at the hospital anymore. But she didn’t want to know the reasons why. She gave up on her best friend.

“Yoona-ah~”

Jessica was calling and Yoona ran back into her room. The older girl was smiling widely at her and gestured her to come over. Yoona quickly went to her. But she was surprised when the older girl appeared chummy with her.

“Muacks!”

Yoona was taken aback when Jessica planted a huge wet kiss on her cheeks.

“Why? Why are you so stunned?”

“Huh? Nothing, I was just surprised.”

“Why are you surprised?”

“You don’t normally do this.”

“I don’t kiss you?”

“No?”

“Why not?”

“Urm, why should you kiss me?”

Jessica’s face was distorted in confusion. She frowned and Yoona was bewildered when Jessica pinched her arm.

“You’re not my girlfriend, Yoona?”

“What?”

“Aren’t you my girlfriend?”

“No?”

“Huh?”

“Jessica, I’m your best friend. Yuri’s your girlfriend.”

“Yuri?”

“Yes, do you remember Yuri?”

Jessica shook her head.

“Wait, you cannot remember Yuri?”

“Who’s Yuri? Do I know her?”

Yoona was stunned.

*

Yuri, Tiffany and Yoona were standing; facing each other. Jessica was on the bed; she was holding on to Yoona’s hand tightly.

“Tiffany!”

“Jessica, are you feeling better?”

“My head spins sometimes but I’m fine, I guess. Yoona’s here with me.”

Yoona had already informed Yuri and Tiffany about Jessica’s condition before they entered the room. Yuri was shocked while Tiffany was perplexed.

“Sica ah, you don’t remember Yuri?”

Tiffany was pointing to Yuri. Jessica pouted her lips as she tried hard to recall but to no avail.

“I really don’t remember her. Yoona ah, who’s she?”

Yoona was staring at Yuri while Yuri fixed her gaze at Jessica. Jessica has conveniently forgotten about her existence. Was it a good thing or a bad thing?

Jessica, I don’t know why but it hurts when you said you cannot remember me.

Yuri’s heart was halved between Jessica and Tiffany.

*