Part 3

Let Me In

The rays from the sun shone over Yoona’s face. She was slowly waking up; only realized that her face was so up close with Jessica’s. She smiled as she caressed Jessica’s cheeks but they were wet. Yoona frowned when she realized Jessica cried in her sleep. She sighed softly. She got up slowly and pulled the blanket over Jessica neatly.

Yoona washed up quickly and prepared breakfast for Jessica. She swiftly moved around the kitchen; when suddenly she heard Jessica whimpered in her sleep. Yoona put her things down and ran towards the older girl; Jessica’s hands were wandering around in panic state.

“Shh, Sica, I’m here.”

Yoona pulled the girl closer into her embrace. Jessica’s face was squeezed to her chest. And the girl mumbled softly which annoyed Yoona a lot.

“Yuri.. Yuri.. don’t leave me.”

Yoona bit her tongue hard. If she had the choice to lash out at Yuri, she would but she couldn’t.  Yoona knew how much Yuri means to Jessica. If she were to fight with Yuri, Jessica would get hurt. She didn’t want to lose Jessica just like that.

“No, I won’t leave. I’ll never leave you. Go back to sleep, Princess.”

She whispered softly into Jessica’s ears and she could feel Jessica’s body grew limp. She relaxed in Yoona’s arms and the younger girl carefully put her down on the bed. She kissed Jessica’s forehead before grudgingly walk back to the kitchen.

Her heart ached so badly that Yoona punched the kitchen top hard on her knuckles. Yuri might be her best friend but Yoona had endured for far too long. It was so unfair to Jessica that Yuri turned her back on her the moment Tiffany returned. If she had knew Yuri was going to do this, she wouldn’t give Jessica up neither would she force Yuri to return to Jessica’s side.

“!”

Yoona noticed blood on her knuckles and she quickly washed it away. She couldn’t let Jessica see. She hissed in pain when her knuckles moved. They hurt like hell.

“Damn it! I punched too hard. Stupid Yoona!”

She tried to massage her knuckles but they soon turned blue black. Yoona cursed at herself but gave up halfway. She couldn’t hide the bruises so she would cook up some excuses later if Jessica asks. But her eyes went up to Jessica again. That poor girl – Yuri hurt her for so many times but she still could forgive Yuri easily. She did that because she couldn’t stand being without Yuri. And Yoona hates that.

“Sica, why are you so stupid?”

Yoona mumbled to herself but at the end of the day, Yoona knew she was even stupider than Jessica. She could just sweep in and steal Jessica away from Yuri but she didn’t have the courage to do that. She tried after Yuri broke up with Jessica but watching Jessica withering like a dead flower without Yuri; Yoona knew she didn’t have a chance to be with the older girl.

So she just told herself to be there for Jessica.  She would be there for her regardless what happened. She made a promise to herself that she would be Jessica’s angel for as long as she could. She would pick up the fallen pieces of Jessica’s broken heart and put them back together.

She could do that again and again. As for now, Yoona lives for Jessica’s smile.

Suddenly Jessica’s phone rang. The sleeping girl quickly got up and grabbed the phone from the table. Yoona sighed. She just kept quiet and continued with making breakfast.

“Yuri..”

Yoona’s heart ached when Jessica was calling Yuri’s name lovingly.

“I just got up. Are you okay?”

Jessica was smiling. Yuri must have said something nice to her.

“Oh? You’re coming over now? You got your car back?”

Jessica was getting out of bed and Yoona was fighting to hold back her tears.

“Really? That’s sweet of you! I’ll wait for you, alright?”

Jessica was happy. Yuri was coming over to pick her up.

“Yoona ah, Yuri’s coming over to bring me out for breakfast. Are you making breakfast now?”

“No, I was just cooking for myself.”

Yoona lied.

“Oh, you don’t have to make mine. Yuri’s on the way here. She went to pick up her car and on the way here now.”

“She knows this place?”

“I just sent the address. I’m going to wash up now.”

Jessica’s smile was full of sunshine. If only Yuri could see that light on Jessica’s face each time she treats her well; if only Yuri understood that Jessica would sacrifice her life just for her. Yoona wished Yuri could do better; she just needed to treat Jessica like as though she was her princess – just like how Jessica was a princess to her.

“Jessica..”

Yoona mumbled softly.

*

“Hey Yoona, how are you?”

Yuri appeared happy and smiling. Yoona was grimacing but nevertheless greeted her best friend properly.

“You made breakfast? I thought of asking you to join us.”

“And become a lamp post? I don’t think so, Kwon Yuri.”

She forced herself to make a joke; to say something funny so that it wouldn’t hurt so much.

“Oh come on, we have been friends for so long.”

“No way; you two should spend more time together. She was so happy to know you’re coming to pick her up.”

Yoona meant that sentence. It was like a subtle warning but of course Yuri couldn’t decipher it as a warning. She just punched Yoona’s arm playfully before Jessica joined them at the door. Yuri wrapped her arms around Jessica and pulled her in for a hug. Jessica squealed happily and gave a soft peck on the latter’s lips.

Yoona looked on with the knife twisting in her heart. What the hell was she doing; standing there like a fool; getting her heart broken as she watched the one she loves kissing some other girl who couldn’t even appreciate her properly?

“Bye Yoona! Thanks for the stay! I’ll call you later!”

Jessica gave Yoona a quick kiss on her cheek and walked hand in hand happily with Yuri.

“Bye Princess. I hope you’re happier today.”

Yoona muttered softly as she wished for Jessica sincerely.

It hurt. It kills her each time Jessica and Yuri are happy together.

But what else could Yoona do? Both are her best friends. Both mean a lot to her.

“Im Yoona, can you just please go and die?”

Yoona cursed herself for being so stupid.

*

Tiffany left early in the morning. She woke up to find herself in Yuri’s room. So she left quietly with Lincoln in her arms. She wrote a note for Yuri and left. Yuri woke up to find Tiffany missing. She guessed it right when she saw Tiffany’s note. The girl has gone home while she was sleeping.

Yuri sighed. She couldn’t call Tiffany as it might seem weird if she did. Tiffany was just her friend; not someone special. But she took the phone nevertheless and realized there were two messages from Jessica. She mentally cursed at herself.

Baby, are you alright? Why didn’t you message me?

Yuri ah, maybe you’re sleeping now. I just wanna wish you good night and I love you. I miss you too. Call me when you’re awake.

“.”

Yuri felt guilty. She has forgotten about Jessica.  She quickly washed up and made some coffee. She wanted to call Jessica when her friend called from the workshop.

“Yul, your car is ready.”

“Oh? I can collect it.”

“Yup, just ring the bell. My boys will open the door for you.”

“Thanks Soo Young!”

“Sure, just get your here and drive your car home.”

Yuri rolled her eyes when Soo Young just hung up immediately. That girl’s always like that. Yuri decided to call Jessica.

“Yurii..”

Yuri’s heart ached. Jessica must have missed her.

“Hi darling, are you awake?”

“Yeah, I just got up.”

“Oh okay, where are you now? I’ll go pick you up. I’m sorry, I was too tired last night that I fell asleep.”

Yuri felt guilty for lying but she couldn’t possibly tell Jessica the truth.

“Okay, send me a message with your address. I’ll pick you up now.”

Yuri could feel Jessica’s eagerness to meet her. Jessica was happy and that made Yuri felt even worse. She could have treated Jessica better but Yuri just couldn’t. Her heart was stubborn like that. Yuri picked up her car and drove off. She keyed in the address Jessica has given to her into her GPS and she followed the instructions accordingly.

She was driving mindlessly when her phone rang. She answered without looking at the ID caller.

“Hello?”

“Hi.”

Yuri’s heart skipped a beat. She recognized that voice.

“Yuri, are you there?”

“Ah, yes Fany.”

“You’re awake?”

“Yes, I am. Did you reach home safely?”

“Yeah I did. I’m at home now.”

“Oh, that’s good to know.”

“Hey, I would like to apologise for the inconvenience yesterday. You slept on the couch because of me.”

“Nah, it’s alright. How’s Lincoln?”

“He’s playing with my father now. I’m just calling to check on you.”

“Oh?”

“Is your fever gone?”

“Yeah, it is. Thanks for your porridge. I finished it this morning.”

“That’s good. Drink more water and try to rest as much as you can.”

“Yeah, thanks Fany.”

“Anyway, I would like to thank you again. Let’s meet up some time. I’ll buy you dinner.”

“Oh that’s not necessary.”

“Why? You don’t wish to have dinner with a nagging Mom?”

Yuri laughed heartily.

“No, Fany. It’s not like that.”

“Then why are you rejecting my date?”

Yuri was taken aback when Tiffany mentioned “date”. She finally relented after Tiffany insisted that she should treat her to dinner. Tiffany suggested dinner on Friday night and Yuri agreed.

“Great! I’ll see you then. Bye!”

“Bye Tiffany.”

Yuri hung up with a smile on her face. She didn’t expect Tiffany to call her. And of course, she didn’t expect to have a dinner date with her.  She was smiling to herself as she drove.

“Fany ah, you’re making my heart racing like crazy.”

Yuri’s day was getting better.

*

“Yuri?”

Yuri turned. She was smiling widely at Jessica. Kwon Yuri was in a good mood.

“Yes Sica?”

“Where are we going?”

“We’re having breakfast.”

“Aren’t we going home?”

“No, I’m buying you breakfast.”

“Oh?”

Jessica was surprised. Kwon Yuri has never liked to eat breakfast.

“What’s wrong?”

“You don’t eat breakfast in the morning, Yuri.”

Yuri could see Jessica was staring at her suspiciously. She had to cook up some excuses.

“I was sick last night.”

“What? What’s wrong?”

“I was having fever.”

Jessica quickly placed her palm over Yuri’s forehead. That was when Yuri realized the bandage on Jessica’s hand. She recalled the scalding incident.

“Is this where you got scalded?”

“Err, yeah.”

Yuri took Jessica’s hand and examined it carefully. She could see the red patches underneath the bandage.

“It looks bad. Does it hurt?”

“It does when it gets water or when I move around.”

“Did you see the doctor?”

“Yoona brought me to see one.”

“Any medicine?”

“Yes, it’s in my bag.”

“Have you changed the dressing?”

“No?”

Yuri gently sat Jessica down at the nearby bench. She took Jessica’s bag and rummaged through it. She saw the medicine and took it out. She helped to change the dressing and Jessica was looking at her. Yuri looked up – Jessica’s eyes were filled with love. She smiled gently.

“Tell me if it hurts.”

Jessica nodded. Yuri was gentle and careful with Jessica. At that point of time, Yoona was making her way to her car. She saw the couple at the nearby bench – Yuri was treating Jessica’s burnt wound. She sighed.

“Be happy, Jessica.”

She whispered softly and left quietly. She didn’t intend to say hi or even let them notice her presence. Well, Jessica’s eyes were only for Yuri. She wouldn’t even notice Yoona at all.

But Yoona was wrong. Jessica looked up to find Yoona driving away in her car. She frowned. Yuri saw it.

“What’s wrong?”

“Yoona just drove off.”

“Huh? She was still at the lodge house, right?”

“Maybe she didn’t notice us.”

“I guess so.”

Yuri was done with the dressing and helped Jessica to the car. Yuri treated Jessica well that day. Jessica was clueless to why Yuri was suddenly in awful good mood.  They had a day out together – and amazingly, Yuri was all smiles. Jessica was curious but she didn’t ask. She didn’t want to ruin Yuri’s mood. She was just contented to have a happy Yuri by her side.

*

“Yoong, you’re home!”

Tiffany greeted Yoona happily but that girl just gave her a weak smile.

“Yoong, are you alright?”

“Yeah, I’m just tired.”

“Where’s Jessica?”

“Yuri picked her up this morning.”

“Oh.”

Yoona just nodded and went back into her room. She threw her things down and jumped on her bed. She pulled her bolster closer and hugged it tightly. Lincoln was crawling into her room.

He was making a gurgling sound which prompted Yoona to turn. The boy was trying to stand up by holding to the edge of Yoona’s bed.

“Lincoln? What are you trying to do?”

Yoona picked him up and the boy was squealing in delight. Yoona sat him on her stomach; he -head her in the chest.

“Oof. Ow, that hurts.”

He grinned.

“You’re one little cheeky fella. Where’s your mom? Are you hungry?”

She carried the boy and went to look for Tiffany. The lady was doing laundry.

“Yoona? Are you hungry?”

“No, I had breakfast.”

“Okay, do you have any dirty clothes? I can wash for you.”

“It’s okay. Ah, your son just -head me in the chest.”

Tiffany was appalled. She glared at her son.

“Lincoln, you have to stop doing that! You can only do that to Mommy!”

“What? He did it to other people too?”

“Yeah, he did it to Yuri yesterday.”

“Yuri? Yesterday?”

“Oh, I saw Yuri yesterday. I brought her to the doctor because she was having fever. And I stayed over at her place.”

“WHAT?!”

Yoona was stunned. Tiffany was taken aback.

“Is there anything wrong, Yoona? Why are you so stunned?”

“Nothing, just surprise. She didn’t mention on the phone that she was with you.”

“Oh, I guess it slipped off her mind.”

“Right.”

“I’ll feed Lincoln. Mom cooked fried kimchi rice this morning. It’s in the kitchen. Heat it up if you want to eat.”

Yoona nodded as she watched her sister disappeared into her room with Lincoln. Yoona was actually fuming mad. Why didn’t Yuri inform Jessica that Tiffany was at her place?

“Kwon Yuri, what the hell are you doing?!”

Yoona was annoyed.

*

Jessica went home with Yuri. Yuri was still in a good mood. They even bought ingredients for dinner later. Jessica was happy.

“I’ll put these in the kitchen. You go and rest. Later, I’ll change your dressing for the wound okay?”

“Okay!”

Jessica grinned widely when Yuri leaned closer to kiss her forehead.  Her heart filled with love and her adoration for Yuri just grew further. Maybe Yuri has decided to be nice to her.  Jessica smiled to herself.

“SICA! WHAT DO YOU WANT TO EAT? CHICKEN OR STEAK?”

“CHICKEN!”

“OKAY! JUST REST OKAY! IWILL CALL YOU WHEN DINNER’S READY!”

“OKAY!”

Jessica pulled out her dirty clothes from her bag. She went to her laundry room and dumped her dirty clothes into her washing machine. She threw in her detergent and then the knob. Jessica then went back to her room to see if there were any other dirty clothes lying around when she saw a baby sock at the corner of their bed. Jessica was puzzled.

“Why is there a baby sock in my room?”

Jessica picked it up and went to the kitchen. Yuri was busy cutting the chicken steaks into smaller cubes. Jessica stood beside her.

“Hmm? I thought you’re resting?”

“Yuri, why is there a baby sock in the room?”

Jessica dangled the sock in front of Yuri. Yuri was stunned.  She thought she could hide the truth from Jessica but she knew it was not right.

“Tiffany was here last night.”

Jessica’s eyes grew larger.

“Sica, we didn’t do anything. We happened to meet each other in the street and I was sick.”

“So she took care of you?”

“Sica, she was just being nice.”

“Why didn’t you tell me, Yuri?”

“I didn’t want you to get the wrong idea.”

“What’s the difference now?!”

“Sica, I swear! We didn’t do anything. She just slept in the room with Lincoln. I was on the couch.”

“She spent the night here?!”

“Jessica, it’s not like what you think.”

“Is this the reason why you’re so happy today, Yuri?”

Yuri bit her lower lip. Jessica’s heart was breaking apart.

“So it was because of Tiffany. You’re happy because she spent the night with you.”

“No, I was on the sofa. We didn’t sleep together.”

“But having her with you in the same house is good enough isn’t it? I know how it feels, Yuri. It’s like how I feel when I have you with me even if your mind and heart are never with me.”

Yuri could see Jessica’s lips quivered. Her small body frame was shaking and Yuri knew Jessica was holding back her tears. She hates it when Jessica’s like this.

“Sica..”

“Don’t call me that.”

“Jessica, I didn’t mean to hide it from you.”

“You could at least send me a message and let me know.”

“If I do that, will you keep calm?”

“How do you expect me to be calm?”

“Jessica..”

“Are you going to leave me, Yuri?”

Yuri was stumped. Her day was ruined. She should have been honest about Tiffany right from the very start.

“No, Jessica. I’m not leaving you.”

“Don’t leave me, Yuri. I need you..”

Jessica’s insecurity was Yuri’s weakness. She just pulled the girl closer and hugged her tightly. Her heart was aching so badly.

“I’m sorry, Jessica. I’m really sorry.”

Yuri hates herself even more.

*

Tiffany finally had her own personal time when Lincoln was sleeping. Yoona was too busy to entertain her. She went out earlier on. So Tiffany was left alone in the house. Her parents were out for a wedding. Tiffany decided to check her emails.

She set her laptop near the coffee table. Lincoln was sleeping on the mattress beside her. Tiffany logged in and was appalled to find 100 over emails in her inbox. Most of them were spam emails but she saw a familiar email address.

She stared hard at the screen; she wondered if she should open it.  Eventually she did. The email was from her ex husband.

But the content was not what Tiffany was expecting from. Her eyes were watery and she covered tightly. She was stunned; shocked and traumatised to read the contents.

“No.. no..”

She kept shaking her head. She was in disbelief. Tiffany broke down into tears and just then Yoona returned. She was shocked to find her step sister crying.

“Unnie? What’s wrong?”

Tiffany shook her head. She couldn’t speak and Yoona was confused. She turned to look at the screen.  Yoona was stunned as well.

“Tiffany, I’m just letting you know that Andrew has got into an accident and didn’t make it. He died this morning, Tiffany. I’m sorry to let you know like this. Please be strong.”

It was sent by Tiffany’s sister in law.

Tiffany’s ex husband died in a car accident.

*