Part 4

Let Me In

Yuri accompanied Jessica for the last few days. Jessica fell ill after the confrontation and it got really bad that Yuri felt extremely guilty. She took good care of Jessica; her hair and arms gently every night so that the poor girl could sleep comfortably.

Jessica was cuddling close to Yuri and wrapped Yuri’s left arm in her embrace. She looked like a little girl who was afraid that she might lose her toys if she didn’t hold on tightly. Yuri was her prized possession and it irked Yuri that she meant so much to Jessica. It would be difficult for Jessica to let her go and Yuri would be guilty for the rest of her life.

“Yuri, I love you.. don’t leave me..”

Jessica mumbled in her sleep and Yuri just stared blankly at her girlfriend’s face. She wiped the sweat off from Jessica’s wide forehead and leaned closer to kiss it. Jessica was still burning hot and Yuri got worried. She placed the cold towel over Jessica’s forehead.

“Get well soon, Sica. I don’t want you to get sick.”

Yuri’s tears fell as she kissed Jessica on her lips. Jessica pulled herself closer to Yuri. She muttered something but Yuri couldn’t hear properly. Yuri just kissed her cheeks and then hugged Jessica closer.

“I’m sorry, Jessica. My heart still wants Tiffany.”

Yuri whispered in her heart.

*

Yoona was holding Lincoln in her arms. The boy was sleeping on her shoulders. Yoona looked around as Tiffany’s in laws gathered at the church. Her brother in law was killed in an accident and she offered to follow Tiffany back to LA to attend his funeral. She turned to look at Tiffany who was practically staring at her ex husband’s photo; smiling at her.

Yoona knows that her sister loves her ex husband despite what he did. She must be devastated that he left without saying goodbye.

“Tiffany, do you want to see Andrew for the very last time?”

Her mother in law was holding Tiffany’s hands tightly as the lady nodded her head. She went over to the coffin and looked in. Her ex husband was sleeping and looking serene. Tiffany gently his hair and kissed the top of his head.

“Goodbye Andrew. I promise you I’ll take good care of Lincoln. I’m sorry for everything that had happened, Andrew. Rest in peace, okay? I’ll miss you.”

A tear escaped from the corner of Tiffany’s eyes. She loved him but things had to happen and their marriage didn’t work. But that didn’t mean she doesn’t love him at all. She still loves him. It hurts to say goodbye but Tiffany knew she had to.

Yoona walked over to her side and pulled her sister closer. Tiffany cried on her chest as Yoona tried to console her. She kissed her sister’s forehead and occasionally her arms gently.  She whispered softly in Tiffany’s ears and the older lady nodded her head. Yoona then pulled her gently back to her seat before sitting beside her. Lincoln was still sleeping peacefully.

“He’s watching you, Unnie.”

“I know he will.”

“You have to be strong. I’ll be by your side, unnie.”

“Thanks, Yoona.”

The funeral went smoothly and Tiffany was eager to return to Korea as soon as possible. LA has given her the best and also the worst of her memories and she didn’t want to relive them anymore. She decided to return a day later so that Lincoln can bond with his paternal grandparents.

Yoona was packing her clothes neatly into her luggage. She turned to find her sister in a daze. Yoona sighed before getting up to sit beside Tiffany. She pulled her older sister closer and hugged her tightly. Tiffany was tearing.

“He’s not really a bad man, Yoona. He just made mistakes. Am I being too mean with him?”

“No, unnie. I believe everything happens for a reason. I’m sure Andrew doesn’t want to see you like this.”

“Lincoln barely knows him.”

“Then it’s your responsibility to let Lincoln know about his father when he grows up one day.”

“I’m not sure if I can do this, Yoona.”

Tiffany’s hesitations grew overnight. She wasn’t too sure if she could raise Lincoln all by himself. Andrew promised that he would raise Lincoln with her but he broke his promise. He had to leave her behind because God called him home.

“Unnie, look at me. Just look at me.”

Yoona cupped her sister’s cheeks with her palms and looked deep into her eyes. She saw the fear in Tiffany’s eyes and she wished she could erase it away immediately. But she knew she had to assure Tiffany that everything was going to be alright.

“You’ll be fine. I’ll be by your side. I promise I won’t leave.”

“Yoona, I need you.”

“I know. I promise you. I’ll never leave your side, Unnie. I’ll take good care of you, Lincoln and our parents too. I love all of you to death and I’ll never want to see you cry anymore.”

Tiffany didn’t answer her. She just crashed into Yoona’s shoulders and cried her heart out. Yoona was crying as well. It hurts her to see Tiffany like this. She never knew that her step sister was still struggling all this while.

“Unnie, I’m not going to leave you. I’ll stay with you.”

Yoona was determined to keep her promise.

*

Few days later, Tiffany returned to Korea with Yoona and Lincoln. The boy was smiling away; completely unaware of the funeral and everything around him. Tiffany wore her oversized black shades because she was crying too much. Yoona pushed the trolley in front of her and Lincoln was sitting in his baby seat.  He was his pacifier and waving his Barney plush around. Yoona was tickled.

“Lincoln, who’s this?”

Yoona was pointing to the soft toy. Lincoln was extremely excited and pulled Barney’s tail. He chuckled loudly much to Tiffany’s amusement.

“Lincoln’s so carefree. It’s just nice to be a baby. You don’t have to think of anything.”

“That’s not true. They have a hard time telling us what they want.”

“Oh, that’s right. But Lincoln has a way of letting me know. If he’s thirsty, he will -head me in the chest.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes while Yoona burst into laughter. Lincoln was smirking away much to his mother’s annoyance.

“You have a beautiful baby boy, Unnie. Right now, it’s a total new chapter for the both of you. Lincoln needs you since he has lost his father. I’ll play an extra support for you. You can always lean on me if you need help, Unnie.”

“I know that, Yoona. I’m so glad you offered to follow me to LA. And I’m just satisfied that the funeral went smoothly.”

“You can always send your prayers for him. I’m pretty sure he will be listening.”

Yoona was comforting enough. Tiffany was glad to have her as her step sister. Tiffany’s mother passed away right after she was born. She didnt have a mother but her father raised her up well anyway. The man raised her all alone and he only met Yoona’s mother when she was in high school. When her father introduced his new girlfriend to Tiffany, the girl was jealous. All this while, her father’s attention was only her and now she had to share it with another woman.

She could still remember the day she saw Yoona for the very first time. Tiffany wasn’t too sure if she could get along with the new girl but Yoona was easy to be with. She was friendly and almost funny. She was a prankster too and Tiffany was the victim all the time.

But despite all that, Tiffany was glad to have Yoona by her side. She was grateful when Yoona saved her life before. It was raining heavily one night and their parents were not home. Yoona’s mother was away for a business trip and Tiffany’s father was still at work. It was so cold and there was a black out. Tiffany was afraid of the dark; and so was Yoona. But the younger girl tried to protect her older sister even though she was terrified too.

It was too dark and the girls couldn’t see anything. And Tiffany fell off the stairs because she missed a step. She broke her ankle and hit her head against the wall. It was bleeding profusely. Yoona was panicking when Tiffany lost consciousness. She couldn’t call because the line was cut off during the storm. So the gutsy girl carried Tiffany on her back and covered her sister with a raincoat before running all the way to the nearest clinic.

A neighbour saw them and rushed to Yoona’s aid. The doctor quickly attended to Tiffany. Her father was informed and he rushed to the clinic. He didn’t notice Yoona who was sitting at the corner of the clinic; shivering in cold. He sent Tiffany to the hospital because of her broken ankle.  He finally realized when Tiffany suddenly asked for Yoona.

By then, Yoona developed pneumonia and Tiffany was worried for her. She stayed by Yoona’s side at the hospital. If not for her step sister, she might have died.  And Yoona survived through the night and the two girls got closer.

That was when Tiffany promised to herself that she would protect Yoona for the rest of her life; just like how Yoona was determined to help Tiffany with her troubles.

“Unnie? What are you thinking of?”

Tiffany smiled at her sister as she recalled their moments together.

“I was just thinking of us when we were younger; when we were slowly trying to get to know each other.”

“Ah, those were the days.”

“You saved my life once, Yoona.”

“Hehe, you don’t have to thank me each time you recall that incident. It’s my job, Unnie. You’re my sister.”

“That’s why I love you even more than I ever love Andrew.”

“LIAR!”

“No, it’s the truth!”

“Are you sure?”

“You’re such a meanie sometimes.”

“But I love you the most too!”

“Liar.”

“I’m not! What makes you think I don’t have a girlfriend?”

Tiffany’s eyes grew larger.

“WAIT! YOU LOVE ME?!”

Yoona rolled her eyes at her sister. Tiffany was confused.

“I DO LOVE YOU AS A SISTER!”

“Then why don’t you have a girlfriend?”

“My sister’s easily get jealous. If I have a girlfriend, we will be like sisters and I know how much you hate it when I’m close to another girl.”

Tiffany was smirking away and pulled Yoona’s nose gently.

“You bet!”

The two sisters playfully hit each other like how they used to when they were kids.

*

“Jessica, I’m going off to work now.”

“What time will you be back?”

“I’ll leave office at 6 okay?”

“You promise you’ll come back by 7?”

“It depends on the traffic. You know how bad the traffic jams could get, right?”

Jessica was getting agitated and paranoid. Ever since that confrontation, Jessica couldn’t put her trust on Yuri. She was breathing down the girl’s neck and Yuri was slowly getting tired of such games.

“Jessica, I won’t meet Tiffany. I’ll go home straight from work, alright?”

Jessica was biting her fingernails. Yuri was annoyed but she couldn’t show it. It would make Jessica more irrational. She pulled Jessica closer and wrapped her arms around the poor girl. She was late but Jessica needed her.

“I’ll try to be back by 7.30 or 8. I promise to rush home as soon as I end work.”

Jessica nodded her head and Yuri kissed her. She gave the insecure girl a tight hug before leaving for work. Jessica stood at the door; she was in jittery and definitely nervous being left alone. Yuri hates herself for putting Jessica through this.

Just then, her phone rang. Yoona was calling her. She answered quickly.

“Yoona!”

“Hey, we’re back.”

“Oh, is everything okay? Is Tiffany alright?”

“You don’t have to worry. She’s fine.”

Yoona was hostile towards her and Yuri wondered why.

“Are you okay, Yoona?”

“I need to talk to you. Can we meet later?”

“When?”

“After work.”

“I can’t do that.”

“Why is that?”

Yuri sighed and told Yoona everything. She could hear Yoona was raising her voice but she still couldn’t fathom why her best friend was mad at her.

“Yoona, there’s sarcasm in your words. What’s wrong? Did I offend you?”

“I’ll see you in your office during lunch. I’ll call you later.”

Yoona hung up immediately; leaving Yuri perplexed. What the hell happen? What did she do wrong? And why is Yoona so pissed with her? She could only know later.

*

Yoona waited for Yuri at the cafe nearby during lunch time. She didn’t have the appetite to eat so she bought herself a chicken pie and a cup of iced tea. She looked on as the crowd zoomed past her. It was lunch time so the whole entire place was like a warzone. Everyone was rushing to grab a bite and return to office. It was like that every single day.

Yuri finally appeared after 10 minutes. She was apologetic but Yoona just shrugged it off. The girl sat in front of her and ordered her food. Yoona waited until Yuri’s food came and they ate as they talked.

“So what do you want to talk to me about?”

Yoona stared at Yuri before she let out a long sigh. Yuri was still waiting for her best friend to start the conversation. But she wasn’t ready with the question her best friend threw at her.

“Do you still like Tiffany?”

Yuri stopped eating and put her spoon away. Yoona glared at her.

“Why are you doing this, Yuri?”

“Yoona, I’m sorry.”

“Do you remember what you told me? You said you promise you’ll give up on Tiffany when you agreed to be Jessica’s girlfriend.”

“I know. I tried to. But I cannot get your sister out of my mind.”

“Then why are you still with Jessica?”

“I tried to leave but you know how Jessica’s like, right?”

“That’s not an excuse!”

Yoona slammed her palms on the table. Yuri was stunned with Yoona’s sudden outburst.

“If you don’t love Jessica, then let her go.”

“You were the one who forced me to return to her.”

“I didn’t know the reason was because of my sister!”

“Yoona, you know the consequences if I leave Jessica now?”

Yoona knew. She knew what Jessica would do. But she didn’t like the way Jessica got hurt each time Yuri treated her shabbily.

“I have to be responsible for her, Yoona. I know I made a mistake. But If I leave Jessica now, she’s going to go crazy.”

“Then treat her better. Love her and only her. Forget Tiffany.”

Yuri stared into the empty space.

“Stop hurting Jessica. Stop hurting yourself because of my sister. Jessica loves you more than she loves her own life. You’re everything that she has. Without you, her world will crumble. Please, Yuri. Do me a favour as your best friend. Forget Tiffany.”

Yoona left immediately after that. Yuri just looked on as Yoona slowly disappeared from view. Yoona was asking her to stop thinking of Tiffany. But Yuri didn’t have to think. Tiffany just came naturally into her mind like as though she owns Yuri’s mind.

“How am I supposed to forget Tiffany when she’s practically living in my heart? How can I, Yoona?”

Yuri was dying slowly.

*

Yoona went to Yuri’s house. Yuri told her Jessica was unstable. She was acting like paranoia and Yoona knew what drove the poor girl to that. She appeared at the door and knocked softly. Someone opened it swiftly.

“YURI!”

Jessica’s smile faded when the person was not Yuri but Yoona instead. Yoona felt a stab in her heart but she gave Jessica a wide smile anyway.

“Hi Princess!”

“Yoona..”

“Have you eaten?”

Jessica shook her head.

“Why didn’t you eat?”

“I was afraid if I leave the house, Yuri would bring Tiffany home.”

Yoona didn’t realize how bad Jessica’s condition was. She finally understood why Yuri was perplexed.

“I’m here to cook for you.”

Yoona lifted the plastic she was holding up.

“Really?”

Jessica’s eyes sparkled. She was hungry actually.

“Come on. I’ll cook and you have to promise that you’ll eat.”

“I promise. Can I help?”

“No. You just sit and watch.”

Jessica pouted her lips and Yoona had the strongest urge to kiss her. But she refrained herself.  Yoona cooked for her some soup and meat with kimchi fried rice. The older girl was delighted and drooled at the sight of the dishes on the table.

“Okay, let’s eat.”

Jessica quickly devoured the fried rice on her plate and Yoona was smiling at her. It was a pure joy for Yoona to watch Jessica enjoying her food peacefully. Jessica wasn’t a messy eater but this just proved how hungry the girl was.

“You silly girl. You must have been really hungry. You eat in a mess.”

Jessica stuck her tongue out and smiled widely. Yoona took her napkin and wiped the rice particles around Jessica’s mouth.

“Your cooking is really tasty!”

“Of course it does! Next time if you’re hungry, just call me. I’ll cook for you.”

“Don’t you have to work?”

“I’ll come after work then. Or maybe during my lunch time, I’ll just pop by and cook for you.”

“It’s too troublesome.”

“Nah, it’s never troublesome for Princess.”

Jessica was blushing away. She gave a sheepish smile and returned to her food. Yoona was relieved that the older girl was eating well.

“Yoona, do you think Yuri will be home soon?”

Yoona looked at her watch. It was almost 7pm.

“Well, Yuri’s working in town. She might have been caught in the jam. Give her at least half an hour more, okay?”

“Oh. So she wasn’t lying about the traffic jams?”

“Yes, she wasn’t lying about them.”

“Okay then. I’ll wait for her patiently.”

Jessica took her utensils and bowls into the sink. She was washing the dirty dishes while Yoona looked on sadly.  Despite what she had done for Jessica, the older girl would only think of Yuri. She felt like she was just a friend to Jessica – a convenient friend whom Jessica could rely on.

“Jessica, why won’t you take a look at me?”

Yoona felt like crying.

*

“Mom, thanks for looking after Lincoln for me tonight.”

“You need some time alone too.”

“Tiffany, I know you’re still upset over Andrew’s death. Just go out and pamper yourself. We will look after Lincoln.”

Tiffany smiled as she hugged her parents tightly. She was dressed in red and Tiffany decided to head to the nearby pub. She wanted to let go of herself. She had been holding back her pain and it was time for her to unleash.

Tiffany called her old university classmate, Taeyeon. They haven’t seen each other for so long. Tiffany was glad to meet her.

“Taeyeon!”

“Oh my god! Tiffany Hwang! You’re so gorgeous!”

Taeyeon was winking at her. Tiffany gave a loud smack on her back.  They sat at the corner of the pub; enjoying the music and Tiffany had a lot to drink. Taeyeon was as crazy as she was back in the university but slightly better as compared to before.

“Do you still drink every night, Taeyeon?”

“Are you mad? My wife will kill me.”

“Your wife? You’re married?!”

“Yeah, do you remember Sunny?”

“Oh my god! Are you kidding me, Taeyeon?!”

“Do I look like I’m kidding?”

“So you two are officially married now?”

“Yeah.”

“Congratulations!”

“Thanks!”

The two continued drinking and Tiffany shared about her failed marriage life with Taeyeon. Taeyeon was sympathetic. Tiffany was crying a little but Taeyeon was as good as before. The dorky friend was able to uplift Tiffany’s mood easily.

“Let’s dance!”

“Are you crazy? What would your wife think?!”

“Oh come on! She’s always dancing with her friends. You’re straight. She knows that well too. You need to let yourself go a little. Your husband’s death is hovering above your head. I’m not here to see you cry.  I’m here to go crazy with you.”

“Okay then!”

The two girls went up to the dance floor and started grinding each other. Tiffany completely lost herself in the crowd; with the loud thumping music in the background. She was intoxicated for sure as she drank glass after glass. She was completely wasted as she tried to make her way to the bathroom. Taeyeon offered to help but she declined.

“You sure you can make it?”

“I’m just tipsy not drunk.”

“Right, you were trying to kiss the mirror earlier on.”

“I told you. I thought I saw you.”

“That was my reflection, Tiffany Hwang.”

“Shut up. I can do it by myself.”

“Fine then, we’re leaving after this. You’re too wasted.”

“It’s still early!”

“No, it’s not. It’s almost 3 now. My wife has been calling.”

“I thought you said your wife didn’t mind.”

“It’s a working night; not a weekend. Now hurry up. I’ll wait for you at the exit. I’ll pay for the tab today.”

“Aww, you’re awesome!”

“Yeah, yeah. Go and wash up.”

Taeyeon helped Tiffany up and the drunkard girl dragged herself to the bathroom. She was wobbly and knocked into people’s backs every now and then but finally she made it.  There were two ladies throwing up on the toilet bowl; Tiffany felt icky.

She managed to find a clean cubicle and went in. But before she could close the door, someone rushed in and crashed into her.

“HEY!”

Tiffany fell onto the seat with a woman on top of her. She struggled to get up and the lady was about to throw up.

“Don’t you dare vomit on me!”

Tiffany struggled to get up and pushed the lady to the floor. The lady scrambled for the bowl and threw up. Tiffany wanted to die.

“Gosh! Did you drink barrels of beer tonight?”

Tiffany couldn’t see the lady’s face clearly. The other lady was mumbling to herself.  Tiffany threw some tissue paper at her but the lady was too stoned to move. She was about to help when the girl looked up at her.

“YURI?!”

Tiffany was stunned to find the heavily intoxicated Yuri; with tears streaming out from the corner of her eyes.

*

Yoona’s phone kept ringing non-stop. The owner grudgingly sat up and grabbed her phone from the side table. She didn’t look at her ID caller; she was ready to scream at the person.

But even before she could do that, the caller was hysterically screaming and crying. Yoona sat up immediately.

“Jessica, what’s wrong?! Why are you crying?”

“Yoona.. Yoona, Yuri’s not home yet! I’m scared...!”

“What?”

“It’s almost 4am now. She’s not home yet!”

“You wait at home. I’ll go over now.”

Yoona threw the phone onto her bed and grabbed her jeans and t-shirt from her cupboard. She was cursing and swearing. What the hell Kwon Yuri is doing now?

She grabbed her car keys and other belongings. She got into her car and sped off immediately. She was trying to get to Jessica as fast as she could.

“Kwon Yuri, what the are you doing?!”

Yoona was even more pissed than before.

*