Part 1

Let Me In

“Congratulations, Tiffany!”

“Thank you!”

“Unnie, congratulations! I’ll miss you!”

“Sobs.”

“Ya, stop crying! It’s your wedding day, for god sake!”

“I’m going to miss you so much!”

“I thought it’d be good riddance for you?”

“YA! You’re my little sister whether you like it or not!”

“Of course I like it! Seriously, I’m going to miss you so much too!”

“I think I might miss you doing pranks on me.”

“Can I do it to you for one last time?”

“NO! Not on my wedding day!”

“Hey!! You made it!”

“Yeah, can you stop being so hyperactive? It’s not your wedding!”

“I haven’t seen you for a month and you’re going with me!”

“It’s your sister’s wedding so keep it down, Im Yoona.”

“Shut up!”

“Yuri, you came!”

“Hey, congratulations, Tiffany.”

“Thanks!”

“This is for you.”

“This is a...?”

“It’s a wedding gift from me.”

“Oh, thank you!”

(The groom was looking for the bride as his parents would like to introduce her to his family.)

“How are you doing?”

“I’m fine.”

“I’m sorry.”

“I’m alright, Sica.”

“If you need me, just let me know.”

“Thanks.”

(She watched the bride and the groom kissed. It hurt. It really hurt. Somehow she knew it was not going to be a happy ending for her but she loved the bride anyway.)

“Be happy, Tiffany. Please be happy.”

She wished sincerely.

*

“KWON YURI!”

The tall girl snapped out of her thoughts. Her heart jumped and she quickly turned to find her best friend was playfully grinning at her.

“What was that for?!”

“You were in a complete different world from me. I have been standing here for the last 10 minutes and you didn’t even blink your eyes.”

“So you decided to give me a heart attack?”

“Well it works. You woke up instantly.”

Yuri leaned and smacked Yoona on her arm; greeted with a yelp. The girl rolled her eyes at Yuri.

“You’re late, by the way.”

Yuri pointed to her watch.

“I was here for the last 10 minutes so technically I wasn’t. You were just too engrossed with whatever you had in mind to not even notice my presence.”

The two girls settled down quickly and ordered dinner. Yuri gave up reasoning with Yoona. The girl would have 100 million excuses to prove her point.  Their food came quickly and Yoona was already poking her knife and fork deep down into her steak.

“Are you that hungry?”

“My boss went amok with me this morning. I had to deal with his nonsense for 2 hours. He was the one who missed out his appointment and conveniently blamed it on me. Men are morons.”

Yoona took a big bite of her steak in anger.

“So is that the reason why you’re asking me out for dinner out of the blue?”

“I called you a month ago!”

“Really? You did?”

“What are you? 80 years old? Are you getting senile, Kwon Yuri?”

“Maybe work is giving me the early signs of aging.”

“You’re barely 25. Not even a quarter century of your life!”

“Shut up.”

Yuri then turned her attention to her meal. Yoona was chewing loudly and Yuri rolled her eyes. The pretty, demure and sophisticated Im Yoona was just the opposite in Yuri’s opinion. She sometimes scoffed loudly when she heard praises of how beautiful Im Yoona is. Those people didn’t know the real Yoona. Yuri was watching her silently as she took a bite of her salad. Ironically, the sporty girl was more ladylike than the demure Im Yoona.

“My sister’s coming.”

Yuri choked.

“Sheesh. What’s with you?”

Yoona quickly passed a glass of water to Yuri. The girl drank quickly.

“Who’s coming again?”

Yuri asked again when she finally recovered from the shock.

“My step sister, Tiffany Hwang is coming.”

“Isn’t she in LA?”

“She’s back home.”

“Oh.”

“For good.”

“Oh? Her husband got a job here?”

Yoona groaned. 

“They have divorced. That scum bag was seeing someone else behind my sister’s back!”

Yuri was stunned.

*

Tiffany Hwang wasn’t alone. She came with her 8 month old son. Tiffany looked matured and tired but her eye smile was never rusty. It was still there. Yuri was taken in once again. It didn’t change anything.

“Hi Yuri.”

Tiffany greeted her as she settled down beside Yoona with her 8 month old son on her lap. Yuri looked on as Tiffany skilfully placed the boy lying down on her lap and the little one quickly grabbed his milk bottle from his mother. Tiffany looked deep into her son’s eyes as the boy drank his milk rapidly.

“Wow, look at how fast he’s drinking it.”

“He’s thirsty.”

“Oh.”

Tiffany then turned to look at Yuri who was watching her son instead.  She didn’t get to greet Yuri properly earlier on.

“Yuri, how are you? It has been 2 years isn’t it?”

“Yeah, it has been that long. I’m doing fine. You have an adorable baby boy.”

“Thanks, he’s all I’ve got now.”

Tiffany’s voice was soft and almost inaudible. Somehow Yuri could feel the pain Tiffany was hiding inside. It must be hard for her. Yuri felt sorry for Tiffany.

“Don’t worry, Yuri. I’ll be fine.”

Tiffany could see Yuri’s eyes. She didn’t have to guess much. She didn’t want Yuri to feel sorry for her.

“It must be hard on you, Tiffany.”

“Well, initially. But now, after the divorce was finalized, I felt better. At least I could move on and write a new chapter with my son.”

“He’s giving Lincoln to you?”

“Yeah, he gave me a huge amount of money and also 70% of his company shares to me and Lincoln.”

“You didn’t want to give him another chance, unnie?”

“Yoona, you have no idea how much I’ve suffered with him.  I knew he wasn’t the faithful type of guy but I went on to marry him. But I didn’t expect him to be regretting it so badly.”

“He did?”

“Yes, he begged me to give him another chance but I refused to. Even his mother told me not to. This would teach him a lesson.”

“You’re sharing custody of Lincoln with him?”

Yuri finally spoke up. Tiffany nodded her head.

“Lincoln needs a father figure anyway. His father said he didn’t want to fight for Lincoln’s custody. He would prove to me that he’d be a good father and hopefully I could take him back someday.”

Tiffany shrugged her shoulders. Yuri could see from her eyes that she was hopeful about that but wasn’t too sure if her ex husband meant what he said.

“Don’t think about that anymore. You have me with you. I can take care of Lincoln. And Mom and Daddy are ready to help too. We’re just glad that you’re finally home.”

Yoona quickly pulled her step sister for a quick hug and Tiffany was tearing quietly on her sister’s shoulders. It was the comfort that made her cried. Yuri looked on; feeling even sorrier than ever. She let Tiffany go because she thought she would be happy.

“Are you happier now, Tiffany?”

Yuri suddenly asked.

“I don’t know, Yuri. I’m just taking one day at a time.”

“Then I’ll be here for you too.”

“Thanks Yuri. Oh, I heard you’re dating Jessica now. How is she?”

Yuri’s face changed. She has forgotten about Jessica. Where the hell did she put Jessica all this while?

“Jessica’s in Jeju for a meeting. She will be here later.”

Yoona answered on Yuri’s behalf instead.

“Ah, yes. She has a meeting in Jeju.”

“How long has it been?”

“Almost 2 years.”

“Awesome. I envy the two of you. Jessica has always been in love with you for her whole life. She must be really happy to be with you.”

Yuri was guilt-ridden. Yes, she’s with Jessica but her heart and soul is trapped with Tiffany. Only the girl didn’t have any clue about it.

*

Yuri waited for Jessica at the airport. Yoona reminded her again before she left with Tiffany. Yuri tried to give her all to Jessica but she just couldn’t because of Tiffany. Her heart just wants that one person and that person has to be Tiffany.

But Jessica loves her unconditionally. The girl knows Yuri couldn’t love her more than she loves her but that silly girl didn’t mind at all. She just wanted to stay by Yuri’s side for as long as she could. Yuri was selfish to hang on to Jessica and took advantage of Jessica’s love.

But she didn’t have any choice. Jessica reminded her so much of Tiffany. Yuri loathes herself even more.

“Baby!”

Yuri snapped her neck to the right to find a gorgeous looking girl with her black shades walking briskly towards her. She was pushing her trolley quickly and Yuri was quick to give her a hand. Jessica threw herself at her and Yuri embraced her tightly.

“Did you miss me?”

Yuri just nodded to that question. She does that all the time. Jessica didn’t really care much at all although it sometimes hurt her deeply.

“I miss you so much.”

“I know. You called me every night.”

“Are you complaining?”

“I wouldn’t dare, Sica.”

“Whatever. I’m hungry. Can we grab a bite somewhere?”

“Sure.”

Yuri took over the trolley and Jessica intertwined her arm with Yuri’s. She loves Yuri and even if it hurts to be with Yuri, Jessica wouldn’t mind. That’s how much she loves Kwon Yuri. The ride to the restaurant was rather quiet. Jessica was tired and Yuri’s mind was filled with Tiffany.

She snapped out of the thoughts quickly. What the hell. Jessica was right beside her and she had the cheek to think of Tiffany instead. This was wrong.

“Sica?”

“Hmm?”

“What would you want to eat?”

“I’m okay with anything.”

Yuri gave a thought and then smiled widely.

“How about I cook for you?”

“Are you serious?!”

Jessica quickly sat up at Yuri’s offer. The girl nodded affirmatively.

“Okay!”

“Let’s go to the supermarket and buy the ingredients, okay?”

“Sure!”

The smile on Jessica’s face was so wide. Yuri felt good after seeing Jessica blushing when she leaned closer to capture her lips. Sometimes Yuri wished her heart could just falter a little when it comes to Jessica. The girl loves Yuri too much. Yuri knew and it hurt her even more.

“Kwon Yuri, what the hell are you doing?”

Yuri mentally chided herself.

*

Yoona offered to look after Lincoln for Tiffany so that she could rest well. Her step mother and father went out for grocery shopping as her step mother wanted to whip up delicious feast for Tiffany.  Tiffany was grateful.

She sat on her bed; they left the room as it was before. It was exactly the same.  They didn’t even move her teddy bears that were lying on the floor all this while. Tiffany took a good look around her room and smiled to herself. This was her home. This was the reason why she could face life even after a hard torture living with her husband for 2 years.

Right after marriage, Tiffany moved to LA with her husband. Everything was perfect until one day; one of Tiffany’s cousins saw her husband with another woman. But Tiffany refused to believe her. She trusted her husband more than anyone else and she was dedicated to him. But he treated her shabbily; at times he would hit her when he returned home drunk. But Tiffany still stood by his side; believing that he would change and she trusted him wholeheartedly.  Unfortunately, all those years of trust were just washed down the drain when Tiffany found her husband and another woman in her bed after her visit from her grandmother’s place.

Hell broke loose and what made it even worse was Tiffany was already pregnant with her husband’s child. She gave birth prematurely because of the tremendous shock and torment that her husband put her through. To make it worse, the other woman was someone Tiffany trusted at work. She just couldn’t believe that they had been together for more than a year. Tiffany’s cousin was right all along.

Tiffany moved in to her cousin’s place after her delivery. Her baby boy was so small as he was only 6 months premature. Her heart ached each time Tiffany visited him in the nursery. He was so tiny that Tiffany didn’t dare to carry him at first. She named the boy, Lincoln.  Tiffany’s husband was remorseful but he didn’t dare to face Tiffany. It took him a while before he had the courage to face his wife and son.

But Tiffany’s heart was already turning cold. He took him 3 whole months to turn up at Tiffany’s doorstep to beg for forgiveness. Tiffany just couldn’t trust him anymore so she initiated a divorce. It came as a shock to everyone in the family but they supported Tiffany’s decision. Tiffany was surprised when her in laws agreed with her too. They were supportive of Tiffany more than her husband.

Tiffany’s husband refused at first. He knew he made a big mistake and he didn’t want to let Tiffany go. He told her that he loves her. His heart has only her but he was just a man. That was the most irresponsible reply that she had gotten from her unfaithful husband. It pushed her to the edge and Tiffany was ready to divorce him. There was no more forgiveness and second chances anymore. It was now or never. She had to break free from him.

Her husband finally relented after 5 months. He did seek for Tiffany’s forgiveness and gave her almost half of his fortune and 70% of his company shares to Tiffany and his son. It was his only way to prove that he’s really sorry for what he had done. He even promised Tiffany that he would change and if he could, he would try to win Tiffany’s heart all over again like how he did before. He acknowledged that it was going to be tough but he wouldn’t want to give Tiffany up without a fight.

Tiffany agreed. But she still had the discretion whether she should forgive him. He promised to give up if after what he had done, Tiffany still couldn’t trust him and asked him to leave, and he would then give her up. He asked for a year. And Tiffany was going to give him that one year only.

Tears unknowingly fell from the side of her eyes. There were no emotions anymore; there was no love for her ex husband but there was something in her heart that completely blocked her ability to have any emotions. She has turned cold. The only emotion she has is only for her son. That little boy is her world now.

“Unnie, Lincoln needs a change of diapers.”

“Oh?”

Tiffany quickly spun around and took Lincoln from Yoona. The little boy grabbed on Tiffany’s arms tightly and wriggled his way onto her lap. Tiffany felt consoled and somehow grateful that her baby boy looked a lot more like her. Even his eye smiles were carbon copies of his mother.

“Lincoln, Mommy needs to change your diapers.”

He seemed to understand her. He obediently lay quietly on the mattress while his mother was busy changing his diapers. His Auntie Yoona was playing with him on the bed. He got really excited that he shrieked so loudly.

“Wow, he’s really loud!”

“Yeah, I think he has everything of me.”

“I agree.”

Tiffany smacked Yoona’s forehead playfully before turning her attention on her son. He smiled at her and Tiffany’s heart immediately warmed up.

“I think I can live my life with just Lincoln alone.”

“I guess so. He’s such a joy, isn’t he?”

“You think it’s possible for me, Yoona?”

Yoona turned to look at her step sister. There were doubts in her eyes. Yoona smiled before going behind Tiffany and gave her a gentle back hug. She squeezed her sister tightly.

“My sister is independent. She has always been.  Even Mom and Dad think you’re capable. It might hurt along the way; it might take some time for you to get over the pain but I know you will make it.”

“Thank you, Yoona.”

“You’re never alone, Unnie. I’m here. I’ll protect you too.”

The two sisters just sat on the bed and hug each other tightly. Well, Little Lincoln didn’t just sit around. He was bulldozing his way into his mother’s arms. He wanted a hug too.

“Aigoo! Little Lincoln is jealous too!”

Yoona picked him up and threw him up in the air. The boy squealed in delight and Tiffany just looked on. She just needed a little bit more courage and she found that in her family.

Yeah, Tiffany was convinced that she would be alright somehow.

*

Jessica was helping Yuri in the kitchen.  She was waiting in the living room at first but she got bored with the television program. She decided to help Yuri instead.

“You can wash the tomatoes and cut them into fours.”

“Oh, I can do that.”

Jessica picked up the tomatoes and went over to the sink. She washed them quietly and Yuri was busy with her own things. Jessica then went to the dining table and picked up the cutting board and a knife. She stared at the tomatoes for awhile. The princess didn’t know how to cut them. She wanted to ask Yuri but the girl seemed busy. She was concentrating at the cook book and Jessica didn’t want to disturb her.

So she sat down; putting the tomatoes on the cutting board. She took the knife and sliced the tomatoes. But of course, as clumsy as she could get, she accidentally cut her finger; leaving a trail of blood on the cutting board.

Jessica cried out. But Yuri didn’t hear it. She was too engrossed. Jessica didn’t want to kick up a big fuss either. She just made her way to the sink and put her finger under the tap water. It must have hurt like crazy because it was really a deep cut.

“Sica, are you done with the tomatoes?”

Yuri walked over to the table only to find some dried blood on the cutting board and Jessica was leaning at the sink.

“Sica?”

She went over and was horrified to find the deep cut on Jessica’s finger. The blood didn’t stop flowing.

“Oh my god! What happened?!”

“I cut myself.”

“That’s a deep cut, Sica. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I cried out in pain but you didn’t hear me.”

Yuri looked up to find tears in Jessica’s eyes. Well, there was more than that. There was sadness too. Yuri mentally cursed at herself before wiping Jessica’s tears away.

“Sit here.  I’ll find the first aid box.”

Yuri attended to Jessica. She carefully washed the wound and then put a plaster around it. Jessica was whimpering in pain. That girl’s threshold of pain was almost minimal. Once Yuri was done, she pulled Jessica closer to her and led her to the living room. She placed a pillow at one end of the sofa and carefully laid Jessica on it.

“You rest, alright? I’ll finish the rest.  Try to get some sleep.”

“I’m sorry, Yuri. I’m hopeless. I cannot do housework.”

“No, you’re not. You’re helpful. I’m grateful that you wanted to help but I guess it would be better to leave it to me. I don’t want to see you getting hurt again.”

“I’m sorry.”

Jessica pouted her lips together and Yuri found that adorably cute. She leaned closer and kissed Jessica’s lips. The latter was grinning away.

“Is it still hurting?”

“Not anymore!”

“Just one kiss will do the trick, huh?”

“You bet!”

“You’re such a kid, Jessica Jung.”

Yuri pulled Jessica’s nose playfully.

*

“Wow, dinner was good!”

Jessica was completely filled up. She was really full. Yuri cooked a lot of dishes today. She wanted to make up for Jessica’s tiny accident with the knife and tomatoes.

“Are you still hungry?”

“I’m really full! You have something more?!”

Yuri nodded her head. Jessica was horrified.

“Yuri, I just cut my finger; not break a leg.”

“I’m still feeling guilty for making you cut the tomatoes.”

“Don’t be silly! I was the clumsy one. But baby I seriously cannot eat anymore!”

“Then what am I going to do with my apple pie?”

Jessica’s face brightened up immediately.

“Let’s call Yoona!”

“Huh?”

“I heard Tiffany’s back, right? Maybe we can visit them and bring the apple pie for them!”

“What?”

“I’m calling Yoona now!”

Jessica ran back into her room even before Yuri could protest. She didn’t want to be reminded of Tiffany when Jessica’s with her. She wouldn’t able to concentrate on her girlfriend if the one she loves so much was with them in the same room. She had to cook up with some excuses.

“Yoona said we can come over!”

“Jessica, I don’t feel well.”

“Oh?”

“I’m tired from the cooking earlier on.”

“Ah, that shucks! Why don’t you stay at home then? I’ll just drive to her house and drop the apple pie with them.”

“Huh? Are you sure?”

“Yes, you can rest at home. I’ll be back in a jiffy. I don’t want your food to go to a waste. I’ll cut half of it and keep for later.”

“No way!”

“Huh? Why?”

“I’ll cut. You just get prepared. I cannot let you cut another finger again tonight.”

Yuri stuck her tongue out and ran to the kitchen; leaving Jessica bewildered. But Yuri was glad she could escape this time. She couldn’t handle Tiffany and Jessica in one room. It was unfair to Jessica that her heart still wants to be with Tiffany.

She couldn’t let Jessica down. So to avoid such tragedy, Yuri decided to stay at home instead. Jessica was ready and Yuri sent her to the car. She kissed Jessica on her lips and the girl quickly drove off. Yuri shouted at her to be safe and the girl just stuck her hand out and waved.

Yuri stood under the street light as Jessica’s car slowly disappeared from view. She tucked her hands into her jeans pocket and remained there for a little while more.  She looked ahead and saw a dimmed light at the end of the street. It was the old pizza place that she used to hang out with Tiffany, Jessica and Yoona. The four of them studied in the same school. Yoona and Tiffany became siblings after their parents married each other. Since then, the two step siblings were inseparable.

Jessica was close with Tiffany but not as close as compared to Yoona and Yuri. They were friends since kindergarten and Jessica entered into their life in elementary school. Tiffany joined the clique when they were in high school and they had been that close ever since. Yuri fell in love with Tiffany when they first met each other. It may sound like a cliché but it was definitely love at the first sight.

Yuri likened Tiffany’s arrival like how an angel descended onto Earth. She could really see the light behind Tiffany as she approached them on the first day of school. Tiffany lost her purse on the first day of school and she needed some cash to call home. Yuri didn’t only lend her money but bought her some food too. That was how the friendship started.

But everybody knew Tiffany was straight. She was the only one who was straight. Yoona, Jessica and Yuri were biuals but Yuri was more attracted to the girls as compared to the other two. Yuri was delighted when Tiffany decided to stay in their group so they did everything practically together. Yuri always offered to send Tiffany home but Yoona would ruin the moment. The sister loves Tiffany so much that she was with Tiffany 24/7 much to Yuri’s dismay.

Things started to change when they graduated. Tiffany went off to a different university while Yoona and Jessica studied in the same school. Yuri entered the sports’ college and the girls didn’t spend much time together that much anymore.

Until one day, Tiffany arranged a meeting with all the girls. Yuri was excited because it had been months since she last saw Tiffany. But her joy was short-lived. Tiffany came with her then boyfriend and she was extremely happy to introduce him to them. Yuri wasn’t thrilled with that meeting and since then, Yuri stayed away from most of the meetings. She would only go if Tiffany came alone.

Yuri sighed as she recalled of her past. She loves Tiffany. She loves her too deeply. She thought it was over when she decided to accept Jessica as her girlfriend but she was wrong. Her heart still wants Tiffany; not Jessica.

“Dear heart, can you don’t be so evil to Jessica? She loves me too.”

Yuri wished she could control her heart better instead of the other way around.

*

 Jessica was driving. She wasn’t stupid. She knew the reason why Yuri didn’t want to go. It was because of Tiffany and it hurt Jessica deep down inside that after all these years, Yuri only has eyes for Tiffany.

But she couldn’t tell Yuri how she feels inside because she was the one who told Yuri that she wouldn’t mind playing the second fiddle. At that moment of impulse confession, Jessica thought she could win Yuri over as long as Tiffany was away. But it didn’t work.

Yuri drew a line to where their relationship could be. They hardly had any ual contact and the only thing Yuri would do was to kiss her. And that was it.

Jessica wasn’t stupid. She was just helplessly in love with Kwon Yuri.

She wished she could stop but if she did, she would die.

That’s how she felt when Yuri decided to break up for the very first time. They did briefly but Jessica was falling sick and Yuri was feeling sorry for her. So Yuri took her back and that was when Jessica told herself that she just couldn’t be without Yuri.

The relationship went on like that for one year and then now coming to two years. Still, she didn’t win Kwon Yuri over. In fact, she had this feeling that she might lose Kwon Yuri soon.

Tiffany has returned.

“Yuri, I’m hurting so badly. Can’t you see it?”

Jessica whispered softly with a tear trickled down her cheek.

*