Four

Would You Smile Again

Eunji woke up to the beautiful smell from the kitchen and empty bed on Nana’s side. ‘Please don’t let this be a dream,’ she prayed as she headed to the kitchen to find the slender figure working effortlessly behind the kitchen counter. “Whatcha doing?” Eunji asked. “Oh? You’re awake. This is the only stuffs I could find. So take a seat and I’ll bring the coffee,” Eunji took a seat in front of the already served French toast. “Daebak! Of course Uri Jinah is still the best when it comes to cooking,” Eunji complimented as she took a big bite of the toast. They had their meal in peaceful silence. “So, I’ve been thinking,” Nana started, taking a sip of drink before she continues. “I wasn’t being fair this past few months, I’ve decided that I’ll make an effort from now on and you are allowed to flip the table on me if I ever found deep in thought and even in tears,” the heavy words finally came out of blonde haired. She seemed a little uncertain but her determined look when she finally exchange glance with Eunji as she finished her sentence made the other  think she’s being serious. “I’m glad you made the decisions, I’m still sorry for last night and please know that I love you so much and I’ll always be here with you and we’re gonna go through this together,” Eunji replied earnestly. “Thank you, so I’m thinking of cutting my hair short.”

***

“Honestly Nana, I thought you were kidding,” Eunji uttered still in daze with her hair wrapped in an aluminum foil to contain the color.  When they were having breakfast earlier, Nana was being very determined to come back. Eunji was rather skeptical if she’s being honest but that fire in the blonde’s eyes when she talked about moving on seem to spark something. Those beautiful eyes seemed revive, after so many months looking dead and empty. And to be honest, the fact that they are literally in a hair shop, with Nana cutting her hair short somehow gives a little hope to Eunji, because Nana was spontaneous like this and throughout the journey of roughly 5 hours now, never once did those eyes loses its’ sparks.  “Go big or go home?” Nana winked to the mirror, communicating with the other through their reflection in the middle of the bustling hair stylist. As cliché as it is, Nana cut her hair short, she was about to go boy cut short but Eunji insisted on ‘not going too crazy’ which Nana then settled with shoulder length bob. “You think I should color it back to dark?” the other asked. “Nana…” Eunji caught a small glimpse of Nana’s  eyes wavering as she held her blonde streak, eyeing them through the mirror. “Let’s go with dark red wine?” Nana said, exchanging glance with her stylist who then went to prepare the color after having her customer’s order.  “I’ve… been having this blonde for quite some time,” she finally acknowledged Eunji’s called earlier. Nana was quick to hide the longing look she had and Eunji decided that if the other’s trying that hard, maybe that’s what’s best. “Go big or go home?” she offered a soft smile which the other replied earnestly. 

 

Author's Note: And, that was the longest writer's block ever.