Chapter 16

Virtual Heart Shape Means Love?

Three days before the Thanksgiving Ball where Kyuhyun is supposed to finally meet Yesung in person, Jongwoon is having a nervous breakdown. It’s got nothing to do with his con heart disease. He’s just not sure if he’s ready to meet Kyuhyun as both Yesung and Jongwoon and tell Kyuhyun the truth.

Will Kyuhyun believe him? Will Kyuhyun think he’s joking? Will Kyuhyun think he is just bluffing? Will Kyuhyun still like him when he learns that Yesung is Jongwoon? Will Kyuhyun hate him? Will it be the end for both of us?

Jongwoon can’t even imagine what he’ll do or what will happen to him if Kyuhyun hates him.

“I’ll go crazy,” Jongwoon mutters, inaudible enough for Sooyoung or Joohyun, who are both sitting on the gym’s benches with their bags, to hear, twirling here and there and slightly tripping on his own feet on the process because of multitasking, thinking, talking, and trying to practice their dance routine.

“Are you okay, oppa?” Joohyun worriedly asks, standing from the benches and is ready to go to Jongwoon. After learning that Jongwoon has a con heart disease, they’ve become more worried and wary of Jongwoon.

Jongwoon grins and waves his hand. “I’m fine, Joohyun-ah,” he says.

“What are you dancing for, hyung? Are you practicing for the Thanksgiving Ball?” Sooyoung jokes, trying to keep the topic off the worst possible case scenario when Jongwoon finally tells Kyuhyun the truth.

“No, silly,” Jongwoon says. “I’ve still got Finals in PE tomorrow.”

“PE?”

“Social Dance,” Jongwoon blenches.

“You’ve still got PE, hyung?” Kyuhyun suddenly appears out of nowhere and when he appears, Jongwoon, Sooyoung and Joohyun look at each other with the same question on their faces, Did he hear something? Because earlier, they were talking about the possible outcomes at the ball, after Jongwoon tells Kyuhyun that he’s really Yesung. Whilst the two high school girls are chipping in all the possible positive endings (from Kyuhyun accepting that Jongwoon is really Yesung to Kyuhyun asking if he can be Jongwoon’s boyfriend to Kyuhyun wanting to elope with Jongwoon to another place), our resident junior is thinking of all possible negative results (from Kyuhyun hating him to Kyuhyun hiring an assassin to get Jongwoon tortured and killed for lying to him).

Kyuhyun must have noticed the shock in everyone’s face because they all look pale gaping at him, with their jaws down and their mouth open, and nobody’s answering him. So he says, “I must have startled you, sorry. I just arrived and I heard there’re people Jongwoon-hyung’s talking to.”

Jongwoon, Sooyoung and Joohyun breath a sigh of relief simultaneously that Kyuhyun raises his brow and wonders, “What’s up?”

“Nothing, Kyu,” Jongwoon quickly says. “Yes, I’ve still got PE because I wasn’t able to get it on my first year because of my heart,” he adds just as quickly, to get Kyuhyun off the fact that the three of them just simultaneously sighed in relief like they’re glad that Kyuhyun just arrived and didn’t hear anything they were talking about before like they’re actually hiding something.

Kyuhyun nods and turns to Joohyun and Sooyoung. After the incident with Sooyeon, and after getting obligatory detention (and complying) together with Jongwoon, and after carrying Jongwoon to the infirmary, he hasn’t seen both of them. Perhaps, it’s because of the Finals exam. So that’s the first time after everything that happened that Kyuhyun sees the two girls.

Fair enough, Sooyoung shifts her gaze and avoids Kyuhyun’s eyes. Not that she’s still mad or anything though she has every right to, but she’s not just comfortable unlike Joohyun who, after accepting the fact that Kyuhyun is the one Jongwoon likes, has settled with that fact and bows lightly at Kyuhyun.

“Why didn’t you two follow at the infirmary?” Kyuhyun asks about the time when he carried Jongwoon to the infirmary and Sooyoung and Joohyun said they’ll follow but Kyuhyun didn’t see them again that day and only now.

Because Sooyoung won’t answer or talk to Kyuhyun, Joohyun answers, “We’re caught by a teacher when we’re going there. She told us to go our class immediately or else, she’ll report as class cutting and we’ll be reprimanded under third class offense.”

It’s a legit excuse, right?

Sooyoung and Joohyun runs into the infirmary, rushing and panting. They ask the nurse at the reception, “Is Jongwoon-oppa okay? Is he going to be alright?”

The nurse looks confused for a moment but it may be because of the frantic look in the two girls’ faces or the worriedness contained in their voices that makes the nurse remember. “Oh, Jongwoon? The boy who fainted and was carried here by that tall, cute guy?”

Sooyoung raised her brows at the ‘cute guy’ part and Joohyun sighs exasperatedly. “Where is he, please, miss?”

After knowing the room where Jongwoon is in, the two hurriedly walks to it to see if Jongwoon’s alright. The nurse is kind of incapable of answering coherently because she’s too busy asking if they are friends of Kyuhyun (to which Sooyoung scoffs) and if they have Kyuhyun’s number (to which Sooyoung almost yells at her ‘Jongwoon-oppa might be dying right this moment!’ but Joohyun holds her arm).

When they finally arrive in front of room 109, Sooyoung is about to open the door but they heard Kyuhyun’s voice, “Maybe I’m a little worried?”


Then, Jongwoon’s voice comes, “Worried of me? That’s new…”

Joohyun is still listening but Sooyoung tugs her arm and whispers softly, “Let’s go, Hyun.”

Joohyun is about to protest and ask why because she knows they’re both worried of Jongwoon and they would like to know what’s going on with Jongwoon so why are they leaving? But before she can speak her mind, Sooyoung is able to easily read her mind, sighs and tells Joohyun, “Jongwoon-oppa is alright, Joohyun-ah.”

Joohyun raises her brow and opens but Sooyoung says again, smiling at her friend and wiping possible stray tears from her eyes. “He’s alright, Hyun. Jongwoon-oppa’s alright.”

Sooyoung bites her lips and Joohyun finally understand. She puts her arm around Sooyoung and leads her friend away from the room. Smiling, Joohyun says, “I thought you don’t like Kyuhyun-ssi?”

“I don’t,” Sooyoung stubbornly agrees, “but Jongwoon-oppa does.”

Kyuhyun nods understandingly as he puts his backpack on one of the benches at the same time when Joohyun stands up and pulls Sooyoung up, who’s got her brow raised at Joohyun, and says, “Jongwoon-oppa, we’ll be going first.”

Jongwoon smiles and nods, “Take care, okay?”

Joohyun smiles, “Okay, oppa! You, too.”

“Sooyoung-ah,” Jongwoon says, when Sooyoung isn’t speaking nor saying goodbye to him even when they’re walking out of the gym’s door.

Sooyoung turns and looks at Jongwoon.

“Take care,” Jongwoon simply says and smiles at the younger, taller girl.

Sooyoung bites her lower lips and quivers. She isn’t able to say something but she nods before turning her back on Jongwoon and Kyuhyun again and follows Joohyun outside.

Outside, she sends a text message to Jongwoon:

I’m sorry, Jongwoon-oppa~ :(( I’ll try to be nicer to him next time. ^_^v

After sending it, though, Sooyoung opens another message box:

Oppa, if you like him, I’ll support you all the way! So, don’t second think the ball because Joohyun and I will be there for you. ^_^ Fighting oppa~! ^_^v

Joohyun looks back at Sooyoung who’s walking a little behind her and asks, “Who’re you texting, Sooyoung-ah?”

Sooyoung shakes her head and smiles, “Just sending Jongwoon-oppa a goodluck text.”

“So what do you think we’re going to wear at the ball?”

Sooyoung laughs, “You’re excited?”

“I’m excited for Jongwoon-oppa,” Joohyun tells. “It’s his D-Day.”

Meanwhile, back at the gym, Jongwoon and Kyuhyun are still up for their nineteenth and twentieth hour of obligatory detention. It’s actually their last day of detention and well, somehow, both of them feel sentimental about it although no one’s talking. Kyuhyun is busying himself wiping the balls and putting them on the cart while Jongwoon is doing the same by sweeping the court.

It’s not like they’ll not be meeting at the university or they’ll not be seeing each other but they’ve got to admit it. They’ve been on different groups, ever since, and only in those two hours for two weeks are they given the chance to be together, without constraints (because it’s obligatory) and without pretentions (because it’s just them and nobody else).

Probably spending time together will be harder after their detention is finally over. And not that they enjoy cleaning the gym or the field but they do enjoy spending time with each other, more than they know it and would actually admit.

“It’s hard,” Jongwoon finally speaks, breaking the loud silence that’s clouding the two of them.

Kyuhyun turns to look at Jongwoon and asks, “What is?”

“Dancing,” Jongwoon says sheepishly as he continues sweeping the floor clean.

Kyuhyun chuckles, “You’re PE’s Social Dance?”

“Yes.”

“And you’re Finals is ballroom dance? Waltz, right?”

“Yes,” Jongwoon says, nodding and looking curiously at Kyuhyun. “How’d you know?”

Kyuhyun shrugs and mutters, “I’m kind of seeing you practice every now and then when I come later than you. I just didn’t know what’s that for. Could have been just a hobby of yours or something.”

Jongwoon’s face turns red. Kyuhyun has been seeing him twist and twirl like a trying hard idiot? What’s more embarrassing than that? But truthfully, Jongwoon doesn’t really recall practicing that much whenever he’s earlier than Kyuhyun on their detention period. As a matter of fact, that day is the only time Jongwoon recalls practicing.

“Well,” Kyuhyun continues, trying to sound as nonchalant as he can, “I can help you practice, hyung, if you want.”

“Really?” Jongwoon questions, disbelievingly. “You’d do that?”

“Sure, why not? Well, if you want. If you don’t, then…”

“It’s not that I don’t want it,” Jongwoon says uneasily. “But it’s waltz, Kyu, just like what you said. So, it’s a kind of dance between a man and a woman.”

“What about it, hyung? Can’t I not pretend that I’m Bom-ssi?”

If anything, Jongwoon is taken aback by Kyuhyun’s bluntness but is more surprised as to how Kyuhyun knows who his partner is. “How’d you know who Bom is?”

Kyuhyun mentally facepalms. How does he tell him that it’s not really during their detention period that he sees Jongwoon dancing but when Kyuhyun first sees Jongwoon and Bom practicing during his vacant period from seventh to eighth period, it sort of becomes a habit of him to watch them practice.

Whenever Jongwoon’s hand is rested gently on Bom’s shoulder and whenever his other hand is holding Bom’s waist, Kyuhyun wonders what it’s like to be held like that, what it’s like to be taken cared of like that, because as much as Bom’s also struggling like Jongwoon when it comes to their difficult routines, Jongwoon is always there assisting her and supporting her, all throughout the entire routine.

So what it’s like, Kyuhyun thinks, to be held like that?

“Well, I – I,” Kyuhyun stammers, not knowing how to answer Jongwoon’s question.

“Help me practice, Kyu,” Jongwoon suddenly says, smiling at Kyuhyun while Kyuhyun looks both surprised that Jongwoon just lets his question go and relieved that the older man did so.

Jongwoon is still worried how Kyuhyun knew of Bom because that means that Kyuhyun might be watching him when Jongwoon’s not aware of it. And that could mean that Kyuhyun might be knowing something which he can’t absolutely, definitely, shouldn’t know. But there they are, just the two of them, and Kyuhyun’s asking him to dance.

Kyuhyun grins and walks towards Jongwoon. “Um, I’m taller than you, hyung?” Kyuhyun says when he’s already in front of Jongwoon. “How does that work?”

Jongwoon chuckles and answers, “Of course, I know that, you idiot.”

There it goes again. The familiarity whenever Jongwoon says something like that to Kyuhyun but up until then, it’s still something Kyuhyun can’t figure out, can’t put a name into.

And when Jongwoon rests his left hand on Kyuhyun’s shoulder and puts his right on Kyuhyun’s waist, there’s nothing that’s going on in Kyuhyun’s mind besides Jongwoon in front of him. “This is how it works,” Jongwoon whispers and pulls Kyuhyun closer.

Kyuhyun’s heart is beating approximately a hundred times faster than normal.

Jongwoon’s heart is probably beating its way out of his chest.

Kyuhyun’s eyes are locked on Jongwoon’s.

Jongwoon’s smile is only for Kyuhyun.

They dance and the whole world is lost in transition.

“I’ll miss this,” Jongwoon whispers softly that it tickles Kyuhyun’s ears.

“I’ll miss this, too,” Kyuhyun admits, resting his head besides that of Jongwoon’s.

They say that when they really mean,

“I’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you, too.”

 

 

A/N: I’m not supposed to end this chapter here but maybe, I just want to give Kyuhyun and Jongwoon their time before well, something, happens. >.<

I’m sorry for not updating for a few days, guys, but here’s a three-chapter update for you! ^^ I’m probably going to write I-don’t-know-how-many-can-I-write chapters over the rest of the weekend because weekdays have turned so hectic (and stressful) for me.

Hurray for 2NE1’s Park Bom’s cameo! (Although she didn’t exactly appear. XD)

Thank you, my lovely readers, subscribers and commenters. :)) I love you, guys! (Really I do.) Thank you for all the support! ^_^v – Elle Kim

P.S. Now that I’ve posted the three-chapter update I obliged myself to write and post, I’m off to reply to your comments! Thank you very much! ^^