Chapter 15

Virtual Heart Shape Means Love?

In the span of two weeks, Jongwoon and Kyuhyun did get closer. Their relationship is that that’s not changing fast, as much as you think it is, because it’s like, hey, they became closer in just two weeks? But truth be told, we all know that Kyuhyun is already close with Yesung. As a matter of fact, Yesung is like the person Kyuhyun is closest to and it so happen that Yesung is also Jongwoon – Jongwoon in reality and it’s like they’re only confirming what the other’s like. The only problem is Jongwoon knows it and Kyuhyun doesn’t.

From cleaning the basketball court to cleaning the swimming pool to sweeping the entire field to assisting pre-enrollment in the university, Kyuhyun and Jongwoon have done all of that together. Kyuhyun’s schedule is pretty packed even though he’s only a freshman because not only is he an active online gamer, there’s also his time dedicated texting or chatting with Yesung but so is Jongwoon because he’s already a junior. There’s his pre-thesis and he has to prepare harder for his more difficult subjects than those freshman subjects Kyuhyun has and of course, there’s also that time when he pretends to be someone else, Yesung. On top of that, unlike most junior, Jongwoon isn’t done with his PE subject because on his first year, he wasn’t allowed to take his PE because of his heart condition. Surprisingly, though, both Kyuhyun and Jongwoon doesn’t despise their obligatory detention but are both looking forward to those two hours when they get to spend time together. Only them. Just the two of them.

One afternoon, Kyuhyun hurriedly opens the gym door. They’re tasked to clean the gym again like the first time they did their two hours obligatory detention. But when he opens the door, he sees not only Jongwoon but Jongwoon with somebody else, someone taller, with lean muscles and a very – Kyuhyun should admit – handsome, attractive face. Surely, nobody wouldn’t fall for that kind of guy, especially if that guy is also kind and everything nice.

The way he smiles to Jongwoon is very endearing.

The way he talks to Jongwoon while looking at the shorter man’s face is very charming.

The way Jongwoon responds at him, smiling and chuckling every now and them, is very interesting.

And Kyuhyun doesn’t like it a bit.

So Kyuhyun slams the gym door even though there’s no need to slam it just in time when the man talking to Jongwoon bids the older man goodbye. They both see Kyuhyun because well, Kyuhyun just slammed the door, and the man talking to Jongwoon is about to question Kyuhyun but Jongwoon acknowledges Kyuhyun.

“Kyu? Is there something wrong?” Jongwoon asks, concerned, as Kyuhyun walks towards him.

“You know him?” the muscular, not-so-handsome when you look closer (Kyuhyun thinks begrudgingly), turns to Jongwoon.

Jongwoon nods but looks at Kyuhyun again. “He’s Kyuhyun,” he says, “We’re doing the obligatory detention together.”

“Oh, okay,” the ugly (now, Kyuhyun is in denial) muscular guy says. “I’ll see you, okay?”

Jongwoon nods and smiles, “Okay.”

Then, the stoned-face (Kyuhyun is now thinking who’s more handsome: him or the muscular guy) guy walks towards the gym door just as Kyuhyun approaches Jongwoon and when they cross paths, they share a long, lasting, stare and Kyuhyun swears if he isn’t in a hurry to talk to Jongwoon, he’ll hold that stare longer.

“Who’s that?” is the first thing that comes out from Kyuhyun’s.

“That?” Jongwoon raises his brow but then realizes who Kyuhyun is referring to. “Oh, that. That’s Choi Siwon, the university’s basketball varsity team’s captain. He’s only a sophomore, you know. Pretty impressive, don’t you think?”

“Not really,” Kyuhyun scoffs, not wanting to sound like a jealous brat although he already looks like one. What is he jealous of, anyway? There’s nothing between him and Jongwoon, right? “Why are you talking to him?”

Jongwoon looks surprised. With raised brows, he asks Kyuhyun, “Um, am I not allowed to talk to him?”

Kyuhyun must have realized what’s he doing and he turns around, flustered and embarrassed. He doesn’t notice that whenever Jongwoon’s around, he’s been doing that more and more in the past week. “That’s – That’s not what I meant, hyung,” Kyuhyun stammers.

“What do you mean then?” Jongwoon asks directly.

Kyuhyun sighs. Jongwoon has that thing on him when he’s pressing Kyuhyun for answers whenever the younger feels hesitant. “It’s just that,” Kyuhyun says, trying to think of an answer which will not give any hints that there’s something in him that doesn’t like the way Jongwoon smiles or laughs at that guy – or any other guy. “Well, what’s our university’s basketball captain want with you?”

“Well,” Jongwoon starts, walking towards to pick up the balls on the floor that the team left off after their practice for the day. Winter Cup is much serious that he thought because the team needs to start practicing even before first semester ends. Jongwoon knows they’re up to strong teams. Even though he’s not playing, his interest on basketball hasn’t deteriorated a bit ever since she’s gone.

“What?” Kyuhyun asks impatiently, following suit of what Jongwoon’s doing.

Jongwoon smiles at himself, taking note of Kyuhyun being impatient. Kyuhyun has always been impatient. “He saw me shooting,” Jongwoon tells Kyuhyun, looking at the younger man from across the court. “And he tells me I have a great form,” he smiles at Kyuhyun. “I just need more practice and all.”

“So?” Kyuhyun asks because he feels that there’s more to it.

“He says he can help me practice,” Jongwoon says. “And if I get better,” he continues, smiling at Kyuhyun and looking adorably hopeful, “I can even try out for the team.”

“WHAT?!” Kyuhyun exclaims loudly. He literally exclaims, like what you do when you yell there’s a fire or when you call people’s attention because you have an emergency and you need help.

Jongwoon is startled. “Wh – What?” he asks, looking here and there, if there’s any emergency within the court’s entirely. “Hey, Kyu, are you okay? What was that for?” he worriedly asks Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun is short of excuses now. He just can’t exclaim and say that nothing’s wrong. So instead of lying, he asks instead, keeping his voice as calm and composed as possible because he can’t get Jongwoon worried over him. He’s got a heart condition, you idiot, Kyuhyun tells himself. What do you think you’re doing? “Are you going to practice with him?”

“I do like playing basketball but I don’t think my body can handle it. My heart, I mean.

“No, hyung,” Kyuhyun suddenly finds himself saying because seriously, what is he doing? He’s supposed to help Jongwoon. He’s supposed to help him not be deprived of life – of doing something he wants because of his health. And basketball is what Jongwoon wants. So what is he doing trying to get him out of it just because some muscular, handsome guy is going to help Jongwoon (Kyuhyun finally resigns to that fact)? What does it have to do with him anyway, right?

“No what?”

“Go for it,” Kyuhyun says determinedly. “I told you, right? If you want it, go and get it. You like it, right? Playing basketball? Then, that reason is enough. Go and play, hyung.”

“But my heart…”

“I’ll stay with you.”

“Huh?” Jongwoon’s mouth falls. What does Kyuhyun mean?

“I mean,” Kyuhyun says, looking down and scratching the back of his head, “I’ll be beside you. If you try out for the team, I’ll try out, too. If we both get accepted, I’ll always be there to watch out for you. So that if anything happens… Then, I’ll be beside you.”

What is Kyuhyun saying?, Jongwoon thinks, gaping at the younger man. He thinks it’s impossible to get closer to Kyuhyun as Jongwoon. He thinks it will be better if he just looks from afar and never reveal himself to Kyuhyun. But that time, what is Jongwoon thinking? He’s thinking, What did I do to deserve this? I… don’t deserve this, Kyu. I don’t deserve you.

But feelings can’t be erased. It can be hidden and denied but true feelings, what people really feel, can’t be erased that easily. With time, maybe, yes. But it’s not something like a switch that you can turn on or off, whenever you feel like it.

So instead of taking a step backwards, instead of running and escaping, instead of moving away, Jongwoon walks closer, taking an unsure step after an unsure step, not knowing if what he’s doing is the right thing or not. He takes a step, and a step after that and several more steps and Jongwoon finally reaches Kyuhyun.

Jongwoon stops shortly after reaching Kyuhyun and he stands before the younger man, his head bowed down and his face on the floor. His shoulders are probably shaking a little and he is biting his lips. Jongwoon mutters, “Thank you, Kyu.” Then, he leans his bowed down head to Kyuhyun’s chest.

Kyuhyun moves his right arm and wraps it behind Jongwoon’s smaller built, pulling the older man into a one-armed hug. He rests his chin on Jongwoon’s head and smiles a little, both at himself and the circumstance they’re in. Kyuhyun thinks, No, hyung. Thank you.

Because for once after a long time, Kyuhyun thinks to himself while he’s still holding Jongwoon against him, that maybe, just maybe, reality can be better than fantasy.

 

 

A/N: Hurray for KyuSung’s first skinship! Or is this it really? I think there first is really when Kyuhyun carried Jongwoon to the infirmary, right? But that’s not two-ways. Only Kyuhyun was aware that time >.< So this is officially the first, right? Or do I have an amnesia and forgot my own story? >.<

I’m sorry for the rawness of the romance/fluff part of the story. I should tell you that romance/fluff isn’t really my genre so if the “feels” didn’t make their way into you, I’m sorry. :((

I’ll try harder! Don’t worry, for our precious KyuSung and for you guys. ^_^v – Elle Kim