First Sight

Light

       

        I woke up from that dream of mine to the sound of a puppy's whimpering.

        Oh wait, that was just Baekhyun oppa's odd sleeping habit.

        I smiled, and settled to counting his soft and childlike whimpers. The right side of my bed sank a little under the weight of his head and arms. I shut my eye in satisfaction when I caught a whiff of his reassuring hot chocolate and mint scent.

        One hundred and fifty-seven whimpers later, my hands drifted to the top of his head.Oh, he was wearing his varsity baseball hat. I tried to be as inconspicuous as possible when I removed his hat and ruffled his flattened and smooth hair until they sprang back into their natural wavy and soft curls.

        My cheeky grin soon broke out as an awkward chortle. I knew he hated it when people messed up his bangs. He likes it to be combed neatly to the left, with his hat securing his hair in that position. He woke up with a jolt, not noticing what I did to him. He cried out something incoherent in that morning voice of his.

      "OH, YOU'RE AWAKE! Let me just go call the doc..." He was about to leave when I held onto his hands, not letting it go. He in a deep breath.

        I cleared my throat. "I want you to be the first one I see when I open my eyes." I blurted without thinking.

       "OH...Oh..Ahh..." He responded awkwardly."Err, I will go check with the doctor first, okay?" Baekhyun oppa coughed a bit, trying to ease the awkwardness.

       With that, I loosened my grip on his hand and nodded. Some shuffles, keys jingling in his pockets and the quiet click of the door indicated that he was out of the room. I mentally screamed in my mind. WHAT WAS THAT?! I want you to be the first one I see? Agh, I facepalmed myself.

       A while later, he came back with heavy footsteps trailing behind him.I frowned a little.

      "No worries, Miss Bianca." The familiar doctor mused in that quiet voice of his. "Mr.Byun has told me about your...Request. So, I will untie your bandage at the back while he will be...Within your sight."

       "Har har har" I humorlessly muttered and felt my cheeks burning up.I heard Baekhyun oppa suppresing his snigger. That was embarrassing. I couldn't believe he actually said that to the doctor. I planned to strangle him once I laid my eyes on him.

       Carefully, the doctor untied the bandage around my eyes and another pair of hands, shakily and gingerly removed the squarish cotton swab around my eyes.

 

       Red. I see red. It was a color so foreign to me that I only remained unmoving.

 

       "You can open your eyes now, Miss Bianca." The doctor said after a few awkward seconds.

       My eyelids fluttered open. Everything was rather blurry at first, with countless colors and...Light bursting into my sight. Competing for my attention.

       Soon, my sight zeroed on the person right in front of me.

       All thoughts of strangling him got magically washed away.

       So this is how my light and savior looks like.

       A pair of warm, chocolate brown eyes welcomed me into this colorful and vibrant world. I got lost in his eyes. The shaft of sunlight that moved in from the windows caused flecks of gold to swirl and dance in that captivating dark brown orbs of his.

      The eyes of an innocent child, was what filled my mind.

       However, his relatively high cheekbones and perfect angular face said otherwise. Signs of fatigue were shown by the dark shadows etched beneath his eyes. It was very noticeable due to his pale complexion. He blinked, long lashes brushing against one another as some of his soft brown curls tickled his eyes.

      Irritated, he pressed his pink lips together in a tight line,combed his tousled hair back with those slender and beautiful fingers of his. A frown of puzzlement and concentration made way to his eyebrows.

      Endearing.

     "So...You can see me?" It came out sounding more like a statement than a question, concern evident on his exquisite features.

     "Yeah," I grinned. I could get used to this, hearing and seeing him at the same time filled my heart with pure joy.

      At the sound of that, a beam of exultation slowly but surely made way into his face, his brown eyes twinkled in delight. His perfect and beautiful face severe with the depth of emotions. "You should have said so, don't scare me like that!" His gaze became unfocused and his hands were feeling around for something. Something was off. Why was he behaving like that?

     "Doctor Lee...? Can you please check on her a bit?" He stood up, shuffled aside carefully, with his hands on the side of my bed. "Sure thing Mr.Byun, have a sit first." The doctor placed a chair at the edge of my bed and helped Baekhyun oppa get into that seat.

      Then. It clicked.

       He's blind.

      "Hyung, she won't leave you.Trust me." D.O oppa's voice rang in my head.

       Myopathy.My foot.

       He's blind.

      Just like how I was.

       I waited until he led the doctor out, eyes never leaving his back. The door clicked and he only remained there, motionless, as still as a statue, hands still gripping unto the doorknob.

       "You lied to me," I spat ruthlessly. No 'thank you', no 'I never knew that', no 'I feel so bad for being able to see again, now that I know that you are also blind.' I couldn't believe it, all this while, I felt like I was the only main victim struggling in her tragic life, but Baekhyun oppa... Never mentioned a word, only kept all his burdens, worries and hardships to himself.

       He finally turned to look at me, with a bewildered expression on his face, which later morphed into a heartbreaking and wistful smile.

       "Yeah, I did."

       I fumed quietly and he was about to say something but Oooff...! He feel flat on his face on the floor when three boys from obviously three different planets came barging in the room. The tallest and the lankiest boy with his jet black hair gelled casually ran, wait, literally sprinted towards me. He pointed to himself and grinned, showcasing his set of pearly and blindingly white teeth, eyes sparkling with excitement. He paused for a while, trying to catch his breath and was about to say something when...

       "Hi Chanyeol oppa"

        "AIGOOO...THAT'S MAA BABEYY GURLL!!!" He hugged me, his deep bass voice reverberated into my ears. His bag of ice-cream tub dropped on the polished marble hospital floor. I smiled as I inhaled in his vanilla scent. He must have just finished working at BRAIN FREEZE!, the ice-cream parlour near the place he stays.

        "!" D.O oppa cussed under his breath. He grabbed a fistful of tissue paper from the table nearby and picked up the ice cream tub. He began dabbing and wiping it while narrowing his eyes at Chanyeol oppa. "GERMS.Germs, you pabo." He nagged. I smiled at the ever-so-sensible oppa. His big, twinkling and alluring doe eyes met mine and slowly, his plump lips stretched into a genuine and heart-shaped smile, "Hey there." His smooth, velvety and fit-for-a-deejay voice dragged.

         "Where's Ka..." I struggled out of Chanyeol oppa's suffocating big bear hug and looked over his shoulders.

         "......I" My eyes laid upon a boy, probably around my age, who was just standing by  the doorway staring at Baekhyun oppa's weird and suggestive stance. Face flat on the floor and jutting up. Kai's mop of black and silky hair bobbed and his huge,flashy, and cherry red headphones were clasped around his ears. He looked bored out of his mind, or maybe he was deliberating whether to help Baekhyun oppa up, or maybe he was just listening to his music. I don't know.

        "KAAAAI........" Baekhyun oppa finally came around and he stretched out his hands,"Bianca scolded meee......" He wailed. Kai snapped his head towards me, dark eyes unreadable. It was a 'if looks could kill, I would be dead by then' moment. I gulped. Kai only ruffled his puffy and messy hair carelessly and I could see a corner of his lips tug lightly. When our eyes met, he smirked and gave Baekhyun oppa's shin a playful but cruel kick.

        "You deserve it" he snickered and sauntered over to me. Is Baekhyun oppa alright?

        Kai dug for something in his pockets and I heard it before I could even see it. He threw me a bag of M&M's  and I caught it like how Sebastian Michaelis from Black Butler could catch bullets with his bare hands (blame this anime referance on Baekhyun and Chanyeol oppa's anime ). Impressed, Kai flashed a killer smile at me, his dark eyes crinkled up in amusement. I said a quiet thanks to him for the snack.

         It was funny how I could almost see an imaginary dark cloud hovering over Baekhyun oppa who crawled into a corner of the ward to sulk.

        "Ew Kai, stay away from Bianca's ice-cream!" Chanyeol oppa whined, one long limb hugging the ice-cream tub protectively, the other was swatting Kai's hands away. Kai,unwilling to back down, jabbed at his sides, which were obviously his sensitive spot, causing Chanyeol oppa to flail his hands around like a madman. D.O oppa only sighed and declared loudly.

        "Kai,you just came back from dance practice right? At least wash up first, then come back!" Kai sniffed his armpits.Ew.  

         "Park Chanyeol, please stop suffocating Bianca, she can't breathe properly," The said teenager flashed me an apologetic and sheepish smile, then released me,"...And you are 19, for goodness sake, even if you aren't...Mentally, at least act like you are!"

        "And BYUN BAEK HYUN," his nostrils flared,and we all stared at him in wonder,because he said all that in one breath.

        "GET OVER HERE!" D.O oppa growled,stomped over to him and dragged him to the center of my sight like a rag doll,"Clear up this mess!!" he jabbed a finger at Kai,Chanyeol oppa and I. He probably forgot the fact that Baekhyun oppa's actually blind at the peak of his outburst.

        However, the peace did not last long. Chanyeol oppa jutted his tongue out at Kai. Insulted, Kai sneered at him, "Hyung,just go back to your girlfriend already...Oh wait... You just got DUMPED,AWWW...." D.O oppa held Chanyeol oppa down in his seat. "Yeah, that's right, go hide behind mama bird's wings." Kai eyed D.O oppa and started flapping his arms.

         Baekhyun oppa tried to intervene by coming in between them, only to get M&Ms thrown at his face and receive hard and ruthless slaps from Chanyeol oppa.

         This time, it was D.O oppa's turn to sulk in a corner.

        "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!" I bellowed, making everyone freeze. D.O oppa froze midstep, Baekhyun oppa opened his eyes warily which were previously squinted due to the deadly M&M projectiles Kai was shooting, Chanyeol oppa's hands released Baekhyun oppa's face which he used as a shield. Kai started eating instead of throwing MY bag of M&Ms.

        "Kai, you mentioned that there is this karaoke place where you train, right?" I looked him in the eye. He bobbed his head slowly and narrowed his dark eyes, shooting me the I-smell-something-fishy vibe. I motioned at him to come closer. He looked mildly surprised but he quickly composed himself and relented. I mentally sighed. I wanted to help Baekhyun oppa to become a singer, and I could not do this alone. D.O oppa's sudden mention of Kai who just came back from dance practice gave me an idea. For it to work, I needed Kai as my accomplice. I whispered into his ear about my plans. At the sound of that, he smirked and gave me an 'okay' sign with his hands.

        At this note, I cleared my throat. "Baekhyun oppa, let's head to the karaoke's tomorrow!" He furrowed his eyebrows, feeling a bit lost and was about to refuse but I managed to cut in "Or I won't talk to you ever again!" He sighed tiredly, nodded and muttered 'whatever'.

       I beamed triumphantly and mouthed "ASA!" at Kai, who widened his dark brown eyes and suddenly stared off into space while chewing on his plump lower lips. Faint pink flushed over his ears.
      

        Weird. I snatched the bag of M&Ms away when his guard was down and he scoffed indignantly. D.O oppa eyed Kai with a smug smile creeping up his face eerily while Chanyeol oppa just looked dumbfounded at our unusual exchange. I took the ice-cream tub away from his limp hands and emptied the M&Ms into it, mixing them up.

         Oh yes, my plan was already in motion.
       

         I stabbed at the peppermint ice-cream and smiled cheekily. "Thank you Baekhyun oppa!!" I grinned. Now, it's time for me to repay you.

         "Yah...Yah...Be careful!!" Baekhyun oppa panicked.
     

         Hm? I gulped down a mouthful of peppermint ice-cream and eek....

 

BRAINFREEZE!

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haha, I seriously don't know how to do this anymore, at first I was thinking, this fic is going to be short, sweet, emotional and sad. But, this happened....so screw that crap XD.  I wanted to try out adding some humour into this fic because I was afraid it could get rather depressing. So, what do you guys think? XD Should I make it all emotional, or add in some humour too? :) Once again, thank you so much for reading! I really appreciate it :D Thank you so much for those who commented and subscribed too!! You guys made me feel all giddy and acknowledged.

That, my friend, made my day :D.

 

 

( P.S: SabrinaMay unnie, If you are reading this, lemme tell you that I added lotsa Kai action in specially just for you <3 SARANGHAEYO ;D )