Blissful Sunset

Light

"Thank god you are alright," A husky and slightly throaty voice reverberated in my ear. He hugged me and his scent washed over me, hot chocolate, coffee and...Mint.

       This stranger smelt a little bit like Lu Han ge which calmed and comforted me, making me forget that it's unsafe to interact with strangers. I started crying out loud, tears spilling out uncontrollably. I was tired of pretending to be strong. I was scared. I missed my dear brother so badly.

        "Hey, hey,little girl, shh... " Mr.Stranger cooed.Then,I felt his arms cradling me and he lifted me off the ground grunting. He apologized profusely as he walked against the tide of people while carrying me as he kept bumping into people in the process of doing so.

        I still remembered that eventful day. The day I was left behind by my mother and the day I meet this kind stranger. He brought me to his home and treated my wounds before me making me hot chocolate. I still remembered the first words I said to him. "You won't get much from selling me uncle... Because you see,I am blind..." This made him laugh throatily and lightheartedly, a sound so beautiful to hear that made me wonder, how did this person look like?

         He flicked my forehead lightly and harrumphed "You ungrateful little girl. I am only 15,okay? Call me oppa, and  this handsome oppa is so kind to make you his signature hot chocolate but you think that I would do that to you?" Hot chocolate.At the thought of that, I started crying again because it reminded me of Lu Han ge.

        "H-hey..Er...I-Mr.Bacon was just joking...Yah..Does it hurt?" He stuttered and he rubbed my forehead.I shook my head and he once again hugged me. His warmth embracing me and he started singing softly, trying to calm me down. And eventually I did, because this mysterious Mr.Bacon had a husky voice. He sang so beautifully and gently that it made me forget about what happened until I drifted to sleep with a smile on my face. His words "baby don't cry" ringing in my ears never ceased to relieve me.

        " happens, so just forget it." Bacon oppa likes to say. I actually find that very true. Rather than living in the past, let's just live our life now gratefully. After he brought me home that day, he never asked me about my family, until I eventually opened up to him and told him everything.From the day I was born, until that eventful day. Bacon oppa pinky-promised me he would earn enough money to pay for my eye surgery. He also told me that he did not have a family. So,I am his first and I can stay with him for as long as I wanted to.

       Despite him not completing his studies, he still sent me to church where they offered free classes for 'special children' so that I still got the chance to study. Education is important, he said, or I will end up like him, 'working his off like a dog', and yes, that's exactly what he said. He is actually a very blunt person you see. However,I beg to differ, because I think he enjoys what he does. Sometimes, when he had to work overtime, he would bring me to the pub with him, and hide me in the staff room, after warning me to be a good girl and stay there. He doesn't just work as a barista/waiter/assistant baker, but he also sings there. The emotions conveyed and poured into his singing were so genuine and passionate, and that itself already can obviously show how much he loved singing and music.

       Sometimes I wonder why he never mentioned about wanting to be a singer, but I shrugged it off thinking he would tell me himself if he was comfortable with it. I really like going to the pub with him or following him to the events he got requested to sing at. But he always told me that it's not safe, that it's a waste of time, and forces me to study at home. I would whine until he pacifies me with the promise to sing me to sleep. He would always cook very early in the morning so that I would have something to eat for lunch and dinner. When he comes home late and finds me sleeping on the couch waiting for him, he would carry me to bed whilst apologizing to me endlessly for leaving me alone at home.

        He became such a big part of my life that I couldn't imagine what would happen to me if he suddenly disappeared.

       He never left me, and when I reached the age of 13 and started feeling insecure of myself, of how I look, and of what others were saying behind my back, he would always pat my head, give me a comforting hug and shrug. "Haters gotta hate, they are just lifeless people who like putting people down, screw them."

        "How do I look like?Am I ugly?" I asked him before.My heart skipped when I felt Bacon oppa's slender, rough but gentle hands cup my face. My skin tingled under his touch. Softly and ever so tenderly, his fingers brushed ever my eyelids, my nose, my lips, and he then said something that made my heart stop in that husky and breathy voice of his.

       "You are the most beautiful girl in the world."

       His tone was serious, and sincere. And he knew that I wouldn't ask that question out of the blue, "If anyone bullies you..." He left the threat hanging. I would never forget that in my whole entire life.

        On my 15th birthday, Bacon oppa told me that his real name is actually Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun.

        He then asked me a question that took me by surprise.

       "If you are able to see again one day, would you like that?"

       "What?" I asked, dumbfounded.

        He always said to not bring up the impossibilities and the 'what ifs' because you would just waste your time by doing so. He ignored my question and held my hand in his.

        "What if this world is not as beautiful as you think it is?" He muttered quietly but it was clear enough and he knew that I could hear him.

         I only smiled and gave Baekhyun oppa a quick and chaste peck on his cheek. " This world? As long as Baekhyun oppa is in it, I am sure it would be beautiful." I spoke truthfully.

        "Aish... You cheeky girl making me blush."

         I heard him suppressing his melodic laughter but failing miserably. After composing himself, taking a deep breath and clearing his throat, he said

        " I finally saved up enough money for your surgery Bianca. How do you like the sound of that?"