Obscure Anxiety

Light

        "Still no sign of waking up?" I vaguely heard someone whisper. Some scuffling followed after. I assumed that the person being spoken to must have nodded in reply. An exasperated sigh.

       "I am worried." Baekhyun oppa's voice wavered. I felt a lump form in my throat, mentally kicking and bashing myself up for making him feel this way, but I couldn't help it, the morphine's effect made me feel so drowsy and drained.

       "Hyung, just look at her. The color is returning to her cheeks. She will be fine." A velvety and silky voice responded.

       An awkward silence.

       "She won't leave you. Trust me." D.O oppa dragged a chair and plopped down, settling somewhere on my left.

       What? Me? Leave Baekhyun oppa?

       Pressure on my fingers. A familiar chocolate-mint scent wafted in the air.

       Gently, warm but dry fingers trailed down my right cheek ever so tenderly. It felt weird, almost hesitant. The touch was just like how one would handle a fragile and breakable glass that was being displayed at the glassware shops. With the sign, "once broken, considered sold" right in front of you, reminding you of the consequences of a single slip.

       What was happening? I wanted to embrace him so badly now, to assure him that I would never ever leave him, but I was paralyzed. It was like my body and my mind were two different entities and they just wouldn't coordinate.

       "...I don't want to hold her back..." He pulled back his fingers, after leaving a trail of warm tingling feeling on my skin. I felt empty when his touch was gone, his scent grew further away.

       The door slammed open, which startled me for a moment. "Why don't we let her be the judge of that, hmph?" Kai responded bluntly. Poof...Someone opened a bag of potato chips... I smelt potato chips.... Stupid Kai, save some for me! I could imagine him snickering while staring down at me, mouth probably stuffed full of the said snack.

       Even though I didn't want to admit it, I needed to thank him for knocking some sense into Baekhyun oppa. "Yah kid! You can't just barge in...Is that...Stop littering on the floor!" A deep groan was heard. Some beeping sound, cloth brushed against...Nylon? Quick steps..Someone made a quick dart for the door. That must be Kai, his footsteps are different from the others.They are light and almost...Rhythmic.

       "Never mind him,now it's time for her next shot." The doctor gave my left arm a quick dab with a damp and cold cotton swab. Smelt like alcohol. Then, a skillful and swift jab which was relatively painless was given to me.

       "Ah," The doctor said in a clipped tone. "It's almost over."

        Baekhyun oppa's hum of approval was heard. A quiet thank you.

        The doctor left the room with D.O oppa at his side. Their footsteps were so distinct that I could even hear the doctor was on D.O oppa's left, probably a foot ahead of him. "...Trust there won't be any harmful after-effects...It has been so long after all..." D.O oppa's smooth and rich voice became more and more distant by the second. I recognized that tone of his. It was his professional-no-messing-around tone that he usually used for interviewing important guests like politicians or police commanders during his radio shows when he was on air. He must be worried too.

        Just as I was musing about how I should thank them(I must grudgingly admit that Kai was included too), I wasn't aware of Baekhyun oppa's long,slender fingers sliding into mine until he started rubbing my cold hands, attempting to warm them up by creating friction.

        I could hear his smile as he said,"I still remember doing this when I first found you." He must be unaware of the fact that I could hear him because he never brought up the past before. Perhaps he was afraid of reminding me of my distant and not-exactly-memorable past.

        I remember it too.

        A throaty and musical chuckle. He switched to warming my left hand.

        "I panicked, you know?" He continued and probably shook his head at that recollection of his. "Your little hands and lips were turning blue...I felt pathetic. I didn't even have mittens for myself, so I couldn't offer you anything."

        That's not true.

        "I couldn't even heal you of your physical pain properly," His voice took on a solemn tone." You must be hurting a lot more inside."

        I know, beyond all doubt. That if I were to be able to move now, I would thrash and strangle him for thinking of himself so lowly.

        Because that's not true. He healed me, never left me, gave me a place to call 'Home' and so much more.

        He made me feel wanted.

        He stopped warming my hand and just settled next to my bed, while holding my hand.

        "Your hands are not so little now and you are already all grown-up now!" He said affectionately and proudly."Into a fine and beautiful young lady at that!" he chuckled, but it sounded weird...Almost bitter.

        What's going on? I began to feel a bit woozy, probably due to the painkiller's effects.

        "I am sorry...I was so selfish...I needed you." His beautiful voice came out as a muffled whisper, his voice broke on the word needed.

        I struggled to listen to what he was going to say next, but before I knew it, I already lapsed into unconsciousness.

 

                                                                        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

        "On that day," Luhan gege declared. "I will be the one to open your bandages." I could hear his smile as he said that. His soft, smooth and stubby fingers rested on my cheeks.

        Slowly, he untied mother's old silk handkerchief and encircled it on his right fingers. He thumbed my chin up gently and suppressed his chuckle.

        "Aniyaa...." he whined, "You are only supposed to open your eyes after I say "open your eyes"!!" He protested grumpily,"Not now..."

        "Ara...Ara...I closed my eyes already," I grinned at his childishness. This brother of mine was so mushy and dramatic.

        "Fine." He muttered something about no point already under his breath, but then resumed almost as if nothing happened.

        " Bianca Lu," he said in that angelic sing-song voice of his,

       

         " Open your eyes"

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Hello, this is Claire here :) .Firstly, I would like to thank you for reading this fanfic of mine. It's progressing rather slowly, so thank you for reading up to this chapter. But let me assure you that this is necessary so that you can understand the main character better :D. Rest assured btw, because another character's POV is coming SOON and his POV will be less heavy and more...lighthearted. :DD THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN FOR READING :D please do comment so that I may know your opinion on this fanfic and subscribe if you like what you are reading, thanks! :)